Where should I work?

Riyonuk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
The current job I have isn't that great, and I get paid under minimum wage, cash under table. I'm 17 years of age, and am considering dropping $3000 as a down payment on a car, so I can get a job in another city. But where to work?

I was considering GameStop, but have read some bad things. I also was thinking Wal-Mart, maybe the night shift or something? Would like some suggestions :D

My favorite high school job was at a mom and pop video rental store. Made crap for money but it was easy/fun and I had enough down time to work on some programming skills at work.

[quote name='lbradeen']My favorite high school job was at a mom and pop video rental store. Made crap for money but it was easy/fun and I had enough down time to work on some programming skills at work.[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing through high school. Incredibly easy and gave me plenty of time for school work.

You're 17, your car should only be worth $3000! =P

Just kidding, of course. In all seriousness, if you aren't going to college (in which case, definitely save the money), go get your professional certification in something, like an EMT or electrician. Plenty of great paying job opportunities then.

You should be a part-time hoarder/ebay seller. At night you could as a bartender or waiter collecting tips (wait you're underaged). You could work as a cook in one of those beach storefront. Then you see bikinis and skin. Summer is coming up.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']You're 17, your car should only be worth $3000! =P

Just kidding, of course. In all seriousness, if you aren't going to college (in which case, definitely save the money), go get your professional certification in something, like an EMT or electrician. Plenty of great paying job opportunities then.[/quote]

thats actually a really good point. if your down payment on a car is 3000k alone....

that is just way too much money on a car for someone who is 17 and whos best work options are walmart and gamestop.

you're going to another city to work? Are you moving or commuting? Trust me, its not worth paying the gas commuting to go work retail. GameStop will only pay you minimum wage, but that will be less than you are making now, since they will take taxes out, plus you'll be biting the gas bullet.

WAL MART????

UNLESS YOU LIVE IN A HICK TOWN, DON'T EVEN CONSIDER WAL MART!!!!

I tried it for a little over a month....1st day there I asked if I could get thanksgiving and the day after it off (katrina happened and i wanted to go back up to my home for thanksgiving) and they were like "YEA, JUST MAKE SURE YOU GIVE US TWO WEEKS...YOU'RE TAKEN CARE OF!!!"

So, I look on the schedule, and they ignored my time off slip I guess. So, I ignored them and let them know in 2 weeks i'm gone.

to answer your question though, work somewhere that will allow you to be a cashier. pay doesn't really matter because more than likely all you're going to do is ring up people. and get those hours!

[quote name='strongpimphand']1st day there I asked if I could get thanksgiving and the day after it off (katrina happened and i wanted to go back up to my home for thanksgiving) and they were like "YEA, JUST MAKE SURE YOU GIVE US TWO WEEKS...YOU'RE TAKEN CARE OF!!!"[/QUOTE]

Ok, first, I believe Wal-Mart is always closed on Thanksgiving Day. All of the ones around me are, anyway. Second, if you work retail you can forget about ever getting the day after Thanksgiving off. It is one of the busiest shopping days of the entire year and your chances of getting that day off are slim and none. (And Slim just walked out the door...)

On the corner of 3rd and Main, but you have to be a real people person....

In all seriousness though, I would definately get the car. That will help alot.

Well, it's like this. I live in the middle of nowhere, the only real store we have is Super S, which I doubt anybody has actually heard of :p

So, my only option, or anyone living here really, is to get a job in 1 of 3 towns. So yes, I will have to buy a car, even though I don't want to. Also, excuse my stupidity, but what's "commuting"?

[quote name='Riyonuk']Well, it's like this. I live in the middle of nowhere, the only real store we have is Super S, which I doubt anybody has actually heard of :p

So, my only option, or anyone living here really, is to get a job in 1 of 3 towns. So yes, I will have to buy a car, even though I don't want to. Also, excuse my stupidity, but what's "commuting"?[/quote]

Heh, I just saw that you live in Comfort. I know where that is, not to far away from me. Your HS Football always ends up beating mine in the Playoffs...

Also, yeah, there isn't much there. Just get a job that will make you money, and then move out to somewhere where you can get a job, or you can go to College.

[quote name='darthbudge']Heh, I just saw that you live in Comfort. I know where that is, not to far away from me. Your HS Football always ends up beating mine in the Playoffs...

Also, yeah, there isn't much there. Just get a job that will make you money, and then move out to somewhere where you can get a job, or you can go to College.[/quote]

Nothing at all here. Yeah, I know what your saying. Doesn't really matter where I work, as I'll be quitting in less than year, as there isn't a college near me. Just hoping to make that one year as less miserable as it has to be.

[quote name='Riyonuk']Well, it's like this. I live in the middle of nowhere, the only real store we have is Super S, which I doubt anybody has actually heard of :p

So, my only option, or anyone living here really, is to get a job in 1 of 3 towns. So yes, I will have to buy a car, even though I don't want to. Also, excuse my stupidity, but what's "commuting"?[/QUOTE]

Wow....our public education system is hard at work, I see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commuting

Anyhow, you're going to run into the problem that alot of minimum-wage type workers are experiencing, that unless the job is really close you are going to be pouring most of your take-home pay (remember, you'll have to pay taxes now) into your tank, so it wind up being not worth it to take a "good job" if the pay isn't acceptable AFTER you factor in expenses.

Suggest you do some math before you agree to any job, figure out what you'll be making after taxes and then figure out how much you'll spend on gasoline to make the round trip, estimated.
Also figure summer is the highest cost for gasoline in this country, with a drop in the fall.

Are you currently working for your parents and that's why you get paid under the table? Not trying to be rude or anything but that's just what your post sounds like to me.

If true then you probably want another job because you're getting sick of working for them. I remember I was in the exact same situation when I was just starting out. It might be better for you to get a shitty job somewhere you have to commute to so you can see how tough it is to survive without any skills or a education. It'll motivate you to do something about it now rather then wait until you are to old.

At the very least you need to get a cheaper car. $3000 down means you'll have a car loan and big insurance payments on top of $4/gallon gas and a minimum wage job. You do not want to get sucked into a large debt when you first start out unless it's for college or something.

Well no, but I do work for my Cousin's boyfriend, so we're all Family. I just don't like the job because it's dishwashing, and it's lame :p

But...but...I want a cool car :O

[quote name='Riyonuk']Well no, but I do work for my Cousin's boyfriend, so we're all Family. I just don't like the job because it's dishwashing, and it's lame :p

But...but...I want a cool car :O[/quote]

Not to sound too old (I'm 25) but you're 17. Unless you've got wealthy parents you shouldnt have a cool car, I really really really recommend that you not get yourself saddled with debt before you even get to college.

[quote name='lbradeen']Not to sound too old (I'm 25) but you're 17. Unless you've got wealthy parents you shouldnt have a cool car, I really really really recommend that you not get yourself saddled with debt before you even get to college.[/quote]

This man speaks the truth.

Buy a cheap beater car, and focus on getting a job close to where you live. It might pay less but you will use less gas.

3000 and ur 17 is alot for a down payment alone.. not sure where you really are but if you want to get a car cheap. Look for any police auctions, sheriff auctions, repo's, etc sales. best places to get a car cheap. then you could resell it and make money on it. i do debt collection so i can finagle with buying their cars cheapy. but in all seriousness tho, look into it. make sure its a public auction or you will need someone who has a license to enter those private ones

[quote name='w00t_culafi']im new here...whats so bad about working for gamestop (besides wage)?[/quote]

They're really harsh about meeting pre-sale quotas, which is the reason why they pester you so much about those cards and pre-ordering stuff whenever you're there. It's similar to what you'll get in a lot of retail, at Best Buy you have to shill the extended warranties, at Toys R Us you HAVE to ask the customers if they need batteries EVERY TIME YOU RING SOMEONE UP, etc.

I mean, it's a JOB. Don't have any kind of expectation that you'll enjoy it, no matter how much of a fan of video games you are.

[quote name='Riyonuk']Well no, but I do work for my Cousin's boyfriend, so we're all Family. I just don't like the job because it's dishwashing, and it's lame :p

But...but...I want a cool car :O[/QUOTE]

Every entry-level job is lame, washing dishes sucks until you realize you could spend your days sweeping or vaccuming and stocking shelves, or standing at a register for hours and having to always smile and be friendly. Washing dishes you dont have to dress up, you don't have to punch a clock.....Lets face it, few among us take a retail job seriously. If you dishwash, do you get free food? If so, thats a nice perk.

You want a car, show me a 17 year old that doesn't. Probably some muscle car or fancy-assed hot japanese ride, right? And you're going to pay for the car, the insurance, and the gas. You wont have money left over to do anyting with the car :)

And then of course you'll have to keep working to pay the car off, every month, and unless your'e getting a loan from a family member, you'll pay interest on the loan.

When you're 17 you want a $3000 car, not a $3000 down payment.

When you're out of college (or at least working and making decent scratch, lets say $30k+ a year) where you can maybe afford a car payment.....then...maybe.

[quote name='sparklecopy']Now I understand why there are so many jerks working at gamestop. when they do something wrong it's bastards like you that turn the cheek and let them while trying to dissuade people like me from voicing their displeasure.[/quote]

There's a difference between voicing displeasure and lying to get someone fired. If you didn't like someone, would you accuse them of pedophilia to get them arrested? Is that how things work in your little world?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']There's a difference between voicing displeasure and lying to get someone fired. If you didn't like someone, would you accuse them of pedophilia to get them arrested? Is that how things work in your little world?[/QUOTE]
well if I didn't like Tom Cruise and I could stop his scientology cult? then yes. question answered. That's how the world works. I guess you haven't been living in the Bush Administration's America.

So how would I go about comparing what I make now, to what I might be making then, with the added gas bill? I have no idea what my car will consume, so I can't really estimate. All I know now is that I make a straight $85 a week, no lower, no higher. I walk to work, and I work from 5:00 in the afternoon, till 9:00, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

First thing you should do is get a raise where you currently are. They way I read it, you work 4 days at 4 hours a day for a total of 16 hours. You are making $5.31 an hour. As of july 24 2007 the federal min wage was $5.85. As of this july 24th it is going to $6.55 an hour. He is paying you cash under the table, so he doesn't have to chip in on your taxes and he is also shorting you. If I were you I would demand $100 or $6.25 an hour.

[quote name='Riyonuk']So how would I go about comparing what I make now, to what I might be making then, with the added gas bill? I have no idea what my car will consume, so I can't really estimate. All I know now is that I make a straight $85 a week, no lower, no higher. I walk to work, and I work from 5:00 in the afternoon, till 9:00, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.[/quote]

Estimating you make $100/wk before taxes = $6.25/hr

Google mapped comfort to center point ~ 10 miles.

Lets say your new job pays 7.50/hr and you work the same hours.
That's $120/wk so maybe 100-105 after taxes.
you're driving 20 miles round trip.
You're most likely not going to be getting a new car so lets say whatever you get averages 24mpg and gas is $3.60.
You're spending $12/wk on gas to go to work.
100-12=$88

Not meaning to be the bearer of bad news but you're now only making $3 more than you were before, you're paying off a car loan and you have to pay to maintain your car.

The equation if you want to play with it yourself

p=hourly pay
h=hours
d=distance(round trip per week)
m=mpg

(p*h*.8)-((d/m)*3.6)=how much you have at the end of the week

edit: you should probably move the cost of gas up as that's only going to be more and more expensive.

That sounds horrible >_<

Well I probably would work the same hours, but when Summer rolls around, I'm getting 2 jobs, as my friends and I love to do that, work ourselves to death over the Summer, and see how much money we made :p

Thought I'd give an update, though I doubt anybody cares. I've quit that lame under-paying job and now work at Dairy Queen. I make somewhere around $7 an hour, and this week I have put in 90 hours alone. It's so fun working there too! Much easier than my previous job, and I don't have to sweat all day. I also walk to work, so I've ditched the "getting a car" idea. Go me :D

Smart move, dude......thats a A+ decision, no joke. You're gonna save an assload of money.
If walking to work is a chore, buy a helmet and a scooter. $10 a gallon gas wont even affect you (but our government will step in before that happens lest our empire crumble).

Plus now you can suckle at the teat of softserve....find yourself a nice chubby co-worker to start dating, she how much she really loves you by finding out all the things she'll do to a Dilly Bar while you videotape with your cellphone in the back room....stock up on Blizzard Fixins.....

Plus, you're now fast tracked for a Lipitor prescription. You go, girl.

I'm in a tough situation because I really need a job (I just graduated college with a degree), but lack a license due to never getting the chance of getting it a while ago. I cannot apply for a full license until August 4th, 2008. Unlike my college (where I lived for a while), you kind of need a car to get places, so I'm pretty much screwed right now.

I wonder if I should get just a small job at someplace (where I can walk) and continuing doing it until August comes around when I can start looking at full time jobs (within my degree) since I'll have transportation. I dunno, I buy too many video games and only have $550 or so left under my name.

But...but...I want a cool car :O[/QUOTE]

Yay for priorities! :applause:

Maybe you can work at a pizza place. Then you can drive your flashy new sports car to deliver Dominos pizza like the losers in my wife's old neighborhood. Those always gave me a good laugh.

In all seriousness, like others have said: find a cheap, reliable beater (Honda Civic or Toyota Camry) so you can get to a better job. Save your cash for later. Then later when you get a real job you can reward yourself with a nice ride.

EDIT:

Just saw you're working 90 hours a week at Dairy Queen. :shock:

I thought there were laws against slavery! Just make sure you're getting paid overtime for those extra hours.

Oh I'm getting paid. And this job is the best job I've ever had. From the whip cream fights that happen, to the banishment of McDonald employees (They hate them...alot), to my fellow co-workers telling my the Boss really really likes me (Promotion :D), I think I'll be staying here for a long time. My Manager wears eyeliner, and beatbox's on the microphone. Not to mention, I get paid to walk down to Los Jaritos (A mexican resturant, where my best friend works), and pick up the Manager's food.

HeadRusch: Walking is definitely not a chore. It takes, on average, maybe 3 minutes if I'm walking slowly. If I run I can get there in under a minute. I also get to eat anything and everything I want. Everything's free. I'm a skinny 120 pound guy, we'll see how long that lasts ;)

TheManaKnight: Get a job within walking distance AND that's full time. Don't buy videogames, I know that's hard for some if not all CAG's, but buy one game...beat it 100%, do it again, THEN buy another, that's what I do.

mzbagel: Heh, it would be funny to see some decked out Ferrari drive in to a local McDonalds. I guess the car should fit the work place. I was actually going to open a Pizza Place, but the super long response from jaykrue kinda changed my mind. Man that guy's a smart business man.

Do call center/telemarketing. You call people and do surveys or offer people free stuff.

Trust me, retail might "seem" more exciting cuz you talk to people and coworkers, but the best job I had was doing a call center, because the hours were guaranteed and uniform, the pay was good (It was $3 above minimum wage back in 03, which was $9.75) and I HATE working at Best Buy.

And Best Buy is one of the best retail places to work at.

Best Buy is probably 5 times better than Wal Mart, Target or any of those places, pay and benefits considered, but it still sucks!

First off, spending more than $3000 on a car at 17 is one of the worst mistakes you can make. I'm 17, and my car was $300. Car works great, and it gets me from point a to point b. If you're earning less than minimum wage, I wouldn't suggest having a car payment. :|

Anyway, I would look hard and long for a good job. Don't slack off, be persistent. I looked for over a year, and it finally fell in my lap. I'm 17 and I make $15.13 an hour working for the federal government :D

[quote name='Riyonuk']Really? The Government? What do you do?

Also, where in the world do you find a car that's $300? Is that even possible?[/QUOTE]
wow..
you really need to look around more.

[quote name='Riyonuk']Really? The Government? What do you do?

Also, where in the world do you find a car that's $300? Is that even possible?[/quote]

yes if you look around alot and find the right people to talk to.
In my opinion i still think it is a bad idea to find another job in the city. Esp the way gas prices are sky rocketing.

[quote name='Riyonuk']Oh I'm getting paid. And this job is the best job I've ever had. From the whip cream fights that happen, to the banishment of McDonald employees (They hate them...alot), to my fellow co-workers telling my the Boss really really likes me (Promotion :D), I think I'll be staying here for a long time. My Manager wears eyeliner, and beatbox's on the microphone. Not to mention, I get paid to walk down to Los Jaritos (A mexican resturant, where my best friend works), and pick up the Manager's food.

[/quote]

OH MY, eyeliner? Tell that emo punk to make me a Oreo Blizzard chop chop. lol found the eyeliner mention hilarious... Glad to see some broke ass young kid trying hard and actually making good decisions and not bitching about their situation. :beer: cheers!

Retail SUCKS I did retail for almost a year while I was between real jobs. Crappy hours no set days off and working all holidays not to mention bad pay. Someone else can deal with that.....

bread's done
Back