Where Should I Work...

Ozzkev55

CAGiversary!
Im getting a job for the school year, and Im just wondering where I should get one. I know alot of you have many different reccomendations, or warnings...so I figured you guys would be the best for advice. My main problem is I have absolutely no Job experience besides being an Assistant Carpenter, for a construction company(which my uncle owner), and the work I do writing previews for a website. I have some retail places listed, but if anyone can think of anywhere else, that is a retail chain, or something like Mcdonalds(Just for example, they probably treat employees like shit) post it here...

I would like to work after school hours, but not on weekends, if possible...not that it would have anything to do with this thread, but if for example Best Buy is notorius for highjacking your schedule and giving you the wackiest hours this side of the mason dixon line, than thats pretty relavent

As long as its on topic, feel free to bash any place I have listed, or may be considering. So long as you have worked there, and recieved a general problem, not sexual abuse from boss, or something to that affect.

Thanks Again

Kev

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Im getting a job for the school year, and Im just wondering where I should get one. I know alot of you have many different reccomendations, or warnings...so I figured you guys would be the best for advice. My main problem is I have absolutely no Job experience besides being an Assistant Carpenter, for a construction company(which my uncle owner), and the work I do writing previews for a website. I have some retail places listed, but if anyone can think of anywhere else, that is a retail chain, or something like Mcdonalds(Just for example, they probably treat employees like shit) post it here...

I would like to work after school hours, but not on weekends, if possible...not that it would have anything to do with this thread, but if for example Best Buy is notorius for highjacking your schedule and giving you the wackiest hours this side of the mason dixon line, than thats pretty relavent

As long as its on topic, feel free to bash any place I have listed, or may be considering. So long as you have worked there, and recieved a general problem, not sexual abuse from boss, or something to that affect.

Thanks Again

Kev[/QUOTE]

With your sig-making skillz, I would say try to find somewhere that's hiring illustrators, or commercial-design work.

If you're going to work a retail job, it will very tough to avoid working weekends.

Plus, you're 16... job experience means nothing with people your age.

Try working somewhere that you can take advantage of a good employee discount for things that interest you (like games). I don't think I'd work anywhere you listed though - retail sucks. Maybe there are programmers or developers nearby that need an intern or something? That would avoid weekend work. I don't know... if LI means Long Island is there any chance of getting to Manhattan for work? There are lots of interesting jobs here...

[quote name='javeryh']Try working somewhere that you can take advantage of a good employee discount for things that interest you (like games). I don't think I'd work anywhere you listed though - retail sucks. Maybe there are programmers or developers nearby that need an intern or something? That would avoid weekend work. I don't know... if LI means Long Island is there any chance of getting to Manhattan for work? There are lots of interesting jobs here...[/QUOTE]
Yes I live on Long Island...but no, I cant work in the city

Most of those stores other than the restaurants have requirements that you are 18+ years of age, and by looking at your profile, your not 18. But that may just be around here, it could be different where you live.

[quote name='AngellicLulu']Try to work at a grocery store... they seem to be more flexible with hours. I worked at Publix and I only had to work Thurs-Sun[/QUOTE]

I agree. I go to school and this is the only place that will pay me 9.75 and only work 2-3days a week

I concur about working for a grocery store. Unless you have an asshole manager, it's a pretty easy job. I'd avoid being a cashier, though.

[quote name='thehuskerfan']Best Buy has just about everything that a teenager should want. Plus, with the 20 percent off...[/QUOTE]

books?

avoid retail at all costs. Boo to retail, BOO!

fucking hate that shit.

If you want to make bank, then use your carpentry skills and get a job working for a contractor. Especially in LI with all those mom and pop contracter types. Just do clean up and stuff on weekdays after school. You can probably pull $9-10 an hour.

Working construction for 3 years over my highschool career, I ended up making 16 an hour working 15 hours a week. Which is a helluva lot better than 30 hours a week, making 8 an hour.

I would never work in a videogame store, but that's mostly because I hated working in a comic shop. People are insistent, obnoxious and when it comes right down to it, totally stupid.

Unless you want to keep explaining certain store policies over and over again and again, day in and day out to zit faced 14 year olds, stay away from "youth" stores.

Out of the stores you listed, I'd say Barnes & Noble has the best environment to work in, although I have no personal or second-hand experience to back that up.

Since you have no experience take whatever job you can find. Most likely they WILL make you work weekends despite what they may claim. Think of your first job as a way to gain experience, don't think of it as something you will be doing in a year but as a good starting off point. Then after about 4-5 months start searching for a job that actually interests you, you'll have experience and cash so you can take your time finding a good place to work.

[quote name='kittie']If you're going to work a retail job, it will very tough to avoid working weekends.
[/QUOTE]

This is very true, in fact, at everyplace you've listed, if you put down that you aren't avaiable on weekends that will severely hurt your chances of being hired.

Edit: If you're not willing to work weekends during the school year, you aren't going to make that much money either. But if you must really avoid it the only placesI can think of that would consider someone that young and inexperienced is either warehouse or telemarketing work.

B&N. If nothing else, you'll end up with some good stories to tell. Maybe even as good as the Berkeley Slimer.

Thank you everybody for your input...Yeah Barnes And Noble looks like the winner, and I will most likely follow Zions advice, and start looking for a better job while working the first one...

I know that there is an age problem, but I will be 17 in november, and I will check the requirements of most of the above stores...

As for weekends...I guess I can work em...

[quote name='Ozzkev55']Thank you everybody for your input...Yeah Barnes And Noble looks like the winner, and I will most likely follow Zions advice, and start looking for a better job while working the first one...

I know that there is an age problem, but I will be 17 in november, and I will check the requirements of most of the above stores...

As for weekends...I guess I can work em...[/QUOTE]

I actually had the same problem when I was 16, most places wouldn't hire me so I worked at an assisted living home for a few months. The pay was minimum and the work was hard at times but experience really pays off.

I suggest getting a job wherever they'll hire you. I dont know how the job market is where you live, but here in Oregon, its terrible. Even worse if you have no real experience.
That first "real" job seems to be the hardest for a lot of people, its hard for employers to give you a shot.

B&N, Borders, good places to work...

But, you should probably try many other places because they're not often hiring. And the people I see there are usually older folk.

[quote name='kittie']B&N, Borders, good places to work...

But, you should probably try many other places because they're not often hiring. And the people I see there are usually older folk.[/QUOTE]
I keep hearing B & N...but im not quite sure why...is it because its quiet, or do they pay good?

[quote name='levi333'] but here in Oregon, its terrible. Even worse if you have no real experience.[/QUOTE]

unless you work the combines, or worse yet, Broccoli chop with the mexicans :hot:

Combine work makes you bank (3 gs in a month, i think?), but it's 16 hrs a day, 7 days a week!

You can broccoli chop with the mexicans anywhere along the willamette valley starting at the age of 13 (from experience, it aint fun and it is motherfuckin hard). Working with mexicans makes you realize how much harder they work than you and how no one gives them any respect.

[quote name='Ozzkev55']I keep hearing B & N...but im not quite sure why...is it because its quiet, or do they pay good?[/QUOTE]

I believe they pay pretty well, and actually have decent benefits. I tried a couple years ago to work there... never heard back. For a job that requires no college or experience, it's about the best you can do.

[quote name='kittie']I tried a couple years ago to work there... never heard back.[/QUOTE]

Man, that's like the "If Hitler got into that art school he never would have killed all those Jews" thing.

You'll have to go into the Borders you applied to and order a copy of your DVD from them.

"See, that's me, you coulda had me goin South on Betty from the Home Improvement section at the holiday party but noooooooooo, you can't holla back at a girl. See you in hell bookworms!"

[quote name='JimmieMac']
"See, that's me, you coulda had me goin South on Betty from the Home Improvement section at the holiday party but noooooooooo, you can't holla back at a girl. See you in hell bookworms!"[/QUOTE]
fucking gold! :rofl:

[quote name='MrMaddness']The Gamestop in Merrick is most likely to be hiring soon, as we start hiring during September for Holiday help.[/QUOTE]
You work at the merrick gamestop?

[quote name='JimmieMac']Man, that's like the "If Hitler got into that art school he never would have killed all those Jews" thing.

You'll have to go into the Borders you applied to and order a copy of your DVD from them.

"See, that's me, you coulda had me goin South on Betty from the Home Improvement section at the holiday party but noooooooooo, you can't holla back at a girl. See you in hell bookworms!"[/QUOTE]

Nah, I would have done my "performing" anyway. I still had my job at a tennis club during it.

[quote name='kittie']Nah, I would have done my "performing" anyway. I was pretending to be Anna Kournikova at another forum during that time.[/QUOTE]

You had some typos. so I fixed your post.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']unless you work the combines, or worse yet, Broccoli chop with the mexicans :hot:

Combine work makes you bank (3 gs in a month, i think?), but it's 16 hrs a day, 7 days a week!

You can broccoli chop with the mexicans anywhere along the willamette valley starting at the age of 13 (from experience, it aint fun and it is motherfuckin hard). Working with mexicans makes you realize how much harder they work than you and how no one gives them any respect.[/QUOTE]

I actually combined the last 4 summers (live in the willamette valley). Its a bit late now, but for future reference, yes its great money for most young people, and you still get some summer left.
Now i have a real job and im definitely not looking back.

bread's done
Back