Where to Flea Market Vendors Get Their Games?

Cambot

CAGiversary!
They come with a truckful of games, systems, vhs, cell phone chargers, junk, etc. Where do they get this stuff? Surely it can't all come from trade-ins.

The packaged stuff is usually bought from wholesale places and marked up, your best off going to dealextreme if you want to buy stuff like that, I would suspect many dealers get their stuff from there.

Yeah there are clearing houses that sell retail returns/open item etc. or overstocks by the PALLET.

Basically you can buy certain pallets for $50, $99, etc. and then just break it up.

some of them are deal hunters. my moms friend sells stuff at flea markets and shes always constantly looking at deals online and at bargain stores. if she could get something for a dollar and she can sell it upto $10. i kinda want to do what she does but it just takes alot of work and it seems to be a religion.

[quote name='phear3d']some of them are deal hunters. my moms friend sells stuff at flea markets and shes always constantly looking at deals online and at bargain stores. if she could get something for a dollar and she can sell it upto $10. i kinda want to do what she does but it just takes alot of work and it seems to be a religion.[/quote]

Yeah, I believe it takes over your brain to the point where you're looking for a deal in everything you see, and life/video games would no longer be any fun.

A new store just opened in my town that sells almost exclusively Target clearance/returns. They buy the stuff by the pallet or large lot.

I've gotten some nice deals there so far....
2x like new Wii Play w/ wiimote $30 ea
2x Final Fantasy XI strategy guide $5.99
etc

[quote name='phear3d']some of them are deal hunters. my moms friend sells stuff at flea markets and shes always constantly looking at deals online and at bargain stores. if she could get something for a dollar and she can sell it upto $10. i kinda want to do what she does but it just takes alot of work and it seems to be a religion.[/QUOTE]

You should read the Target thread on SD. It's crazy how much work it takes. I read how people go into Target with $100 cart of stuff and end up paying $3 - $5 by combining manufacturer's coupons with Target coupons, figuring out how to get overage and how they spend hours getting ready for a Target trip. It would be awesome to save that much but I don't like spending the time unless it's easy.

Like there was a $5 off any Polly Pocket item coupon being discussed in that thread, if you bought a $3 Polly Pocket, the cashier would sometimes take $5 off because the coupon said up to $5 off, and you could get the Polly Pocket for free and get $2 off another item (like soda for example). I used that coupon a few times.

[quote name='karkyco']Yeah there are clearing houses that sell retail returns/open item etc. or overstocks by the PALLET.

Basically you can buy certain pallets for $50, $99, etc. and then just break it up.[/quote]

I used to have a link to one of those on my IE favorites. I'm sure I have it around here somewhere.

For a while, I actually thought about snatching most of the Kmart games in my area and flea marketing them on Saturdays and Sundays for a little extra scratch. However, the one guy who has been there forever has a cd/dvd/game stand and the market's owner gave him precedence and I ended up having to leave behind a few things for him to 'check out and approve/deny me' on.

I was gonna sell guides and games for cheap prices, but was stonewalled on the games, since I figured I could sell the $2-3 games for $5-10 and still be making money and giving him some healthy competition. I was approved to sell guides, though at $125 or so a month for a spot, with only 8 days each month to sell enough to cover that cost, I decided against it.

As for where they get their stuff from, the guy who I was stonewalled by does take in trades and the like, but his prices are ridiculous($12 for one of the BK games).

Here's an interesting auction on the one liquidation site I found. A pallet load of 360's, all marked 'salvage', current bid is $900.00: http://cgi.liquidation.com/auction/view?id=1587344

Hmm, i wonder if alot of Ebayers do it this way too.... Buying a huge lot, then breaking it up and selling items for 20 to 30$ on ebay.

Ima check these websites out, thanks OP!

[quote name='reicaden']Hmm, i wonder if alot of Ebayers do it this way too.... Buying a huge lot, then breaking it up and selling items for 20 to 30$ on ebay.

Ima check these websites out, thanks OP![/QUOTE]

Indeed they do... it's big business. Actually, if you see a nice lot of games... chances are the high bidder will be a reseller.

There is a flea market at the Berkeley/Oakland border where I live is known for selling stolen merchandise. I wouldn't be surprise if other flea markets engage in that practice too.

it is much much easier to resale clothes.. me and my girlfriend usually buy 100 dollars worth of "closeout/sale" clothes when theya re like 80-90 percent off then go on ebay and sale them.. video games are much much harder to resale because of how things fluxuates but clothes you can always usually resale for "more" then you bought them.. especially stuff like jeans..

One time I saw a guy with a computer, spindles of dvds, and a sign saying "Movie DVDs $X". He was gone the next time I went there.

[quote name='Snake2715']hmm even ebay sells wholesale lots for resale.[/QUOTE]

Yes, local markets vary on prices, so you can buy stuff cheap on ebay and resell it at the flea, but you have to have buyers that don't know what you are doing and are stupid enough to pay your inflated prices. People can also be easily swindled into thinking they got "a deal", kinda like how the scammy store liquidators mark up stuff before putting it at a measly 10% off when a big box retail store is closing, then people suddenly buy it up because they think its a deal. Its the illusion of getting a deal that can actually make some people money. When your shopping at these places you REALLY have to know your prices or else you could be easily swindled and taken.

I don't think fleamarket selling would be good here, most of the people at the local flea have been there for years with the same tables of stuff (except for the one booth that does a very fair trade), there are also a ton of vendors there selling video games, so competition would be fierce.

To the person who talked about clothes, I dunno how you make money off clothing, most clothing auctions I have seen go for .99 plus shipping costs (unless you have something odd and desirable), and for that price I might as well just ditch it at my yearly yard sale for cheap. I have tried to sell used, VERY GOOD condition clothing items from a clean home and haven't had much luck.

[quote name='SaraAB']Yes, local markets vary on prices, so you can buy stuff cheap on ebay and resell it at the flea, but you have to have buyers that don't know what you are doing and are stupid enough to pay your inflated prices. People can also be easily swindled into thinking they got "a deal", kinda like how the scammy store liquidators mark up stuff before putting it at a measly 10% off when a big box retail store is closing, then people suddenly buy it up because they think its a deal. Its the illusion of getting a deal that can actually make some people money. When your shopping at these places you REALLY have to know your prices or else you could be easily swindled and taken.

I don't think fleamarket selling would be good here, most of the people at the local flea have been there for years with the same tables of stuff (except for the one booth that does a very fair trade), there are also a ton of vendors there selling video games, so competition would be fierce.

To the person who talked about clothes, I dunno how you make money off clothing, most clothing auctions I have seen go for .99 plus shipping costs (unless you have something odd and desirable), and for that price I might as well just ditch it at my yearly yard sale for cheap. I have tried to sell used, VERY GOOD condition clothing items from a clean home and haven't had much luck.[/QUOTE]

i've had luck with way way discounted clothes (i'm talking about like when wal mart sells summer clothes for way cheap.. like a buck for dickeys shorts or something) like heres what I did last night.. i purchased some jeans on a clearance rack (they were 5 bucks.. ) I turned around and got 16 bucks for them (the normal price the usually sell for).. i mean its not 'great' by any means but it does help pay for my own clothing purchases.

bread's done
Back