Where to sell off college textbooks?

Personally, I use Half.com. They charge a 15% commission, but you always make out better than selling it back to the bookstore.

[quote name='paul6']Personally, I use Half.com. They charge a 15% commission, but you always make out better than selling it back to the bookstore.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunatly, I'm 17 right now, and lack credit cards. My mom gave me some of her old textbooks and said, if you can sell them, keep the money...they're going in the trash otherwise. So, i took them. But now i can'ts really sell them anywhere -_-

[quote name='rjarmstrong100']Unfortunatly, I'm 17 right now, and lack credit cards. My mom gave me some of her old textbooks and said, if you can sell them, keep the money...they're going in the trash otherwise. So, i took them. But now i can'ts really sell them anywhere -_-[/QUOTE]

Ask to borrow your moms and use Amazon. It will not charge the card anything. You just need it to register.

[quote name='the3rdkey']Ask to borrow your moms and use Amazon. It will not charge the card anything. You just need it to register.[/QUOTE]

I've asked her that so I could sell it off of half.com. She said she isn't gonna give me her cc#, or let me use it for that matter. Plus, she doesn't want the hassle of having to take extra money out of her account and give it to me (whatever i'm paid for the book once she gets the money on her credit card, especially since there are 12+ books.)

[quote name='efmchico']Maybe Craigs List.....If they have your city or one close by......
It's free.

http://www.craigslist.com/[/QUOTE]

I made a listing on Craig's list. How exactly does it work? Will I be sent the money via check? or something like paypal? Or do I have no say in the matter? Also, how would i be notified of a potential buyer?

It's kind of like a local classified ad in your newspaper....A potential purchaser contacts you via email and you go from there, so you set the terms.

Another alternative is to go to your college and post paper signs in whatever department the book is relevant to.

I don't think people normally look on Craigslist when they want to buy college textbooks.

[quote name='paul6']Another alternative is to go to your college and post paper signs in whatever department the book is relevant to.

I don't think people normally look on Craigslist when they want to buy college textbooks.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunatly, I cannot make it to my mom's old college, it's a good 30-40 minute drive.

Man if you cannot use Half.com, and you cannot return to the college campus and attempt to sell it then your just done, take those books and toss them out. Best bet was Half.com if you can't do that forget about it.

If these textbooks are more than 5 years old, chances are they are worthless anyway.

I know at my college, once a new edition of a certain textbook is released, the older edition instantly becomes worthless.

Check the ISBN numbers on Half.com to see if they are even worth anything anyway. Text books lose their value FAST.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Try www.barnesandnoble.com or www.efollett.com You probably will be lucky to get 20% of the retail value but its better than nothing.

I am a Follett employee but if you send them back to Barnes and Noble it wouldn't bother me in the slightest![/QUOTE]

How do you sell them to bandn.com? also, Most of them still go for 20-60 ^_^

nvm, figured that out.

Unfortunatly, I think that my books too marked up (highlighted) for BandN, but for efollett.com, when they say no excessive highlighting, followed by, that makes it hard to read. If it's excessively highleted (lots of highlighted sentences) but still as easy to read as if it weren't, would they take it?

[quote name='rjarmstrong100']How do you sell them to bandn.com? also, Most of them still go for 20-60 ^_^

nvm, figured that out.

Unfortunatly, I think that my books too marked up (highlighted) for BandN, but for efollett.com, when they say no excessive highlighting, followed by, that makes it hard to read. If it's excessively highleted (lots of highlighted sentences) but still as easy to read as if it weren't, would they take it?[/QUOTE]

In our individual store as long as the text can be read we will buy it back, but the efollett.com parent site may be a bit stricter since the books they buy can be re-distributed to other stores in the country. I'd recommend sending an e-mail to customer service (or calling) to ask about any specifics. I don't want to put words in their mouth.

You need to get a buddy who has a Ebay/half.com account and have him/her sell it. Then let them keep a small amount of whatever you get out of them. I personally have bought hundreds of books from local college students and then resold them on Half.com or through a Campus newsletter.

[quote name='amos_82']You need to get a buddy who has a Ebay/half.com account and have him/her sell it. Then let them keep a small amount of whatever you get out of them. I personally have bought hundreds of books from local college students and then resold them on Half.com or through a Campus newsletter.[/QUOTE]

Wanna buy some off me then? ^_-

What are the titles or where is a listing of your books? I'm looking for a specific Art book and would buy it off. I don't have the ISBN, but I can get back with you.

rjarmstrong100, get me the ISBN numbers. If the books are saleable, I will get them from you.. but it will be at a fraction of their price becase I'd need to be able to make a profit off them.. and text books are heavy.

[quote name='neudog']What are the titles or where is a listing of your books? I'm looking for a specific Art book and would buy it off. I don't have the ISBN, but I can get back with you.[/QUOTE]

Nope, don't have any art books.

[quote name='EvilN8']rjarmstrong100, get me the ISBN numbers. If the books are saleable, I will get them from you.. but it will be at a fraction of their price becase I'd need to be able to make a profit off them.. and text books are heavy.[/QUOTE]

Well, the only two i can't sell via ecollege are quite, well, dirt cheap. One sells for $25 while the other sells for $1-5. So I don't think it would be that worth it.

[quote name='rjarmstrong100']Well, the only two i can't sell via ecollege are quite, well, dirt cheap. One sells for $25 while the other sells for $1-5. So I don't think it would be that worth it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, donate them to a thrift shop.

bread's done
Back