Where to start with Star Trek?

nootch

CAG Veteran
Recently I have found myself wanting to get into StarTrek but I have no idea where to start. My idea was to buy a season of one of the shows but my question for you is, which show is the best to start with? Your help in this is appreciated!

try the first episodes with William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy. The shows made in the 60's. You may find them charming if not nostaligic.

try the first episodes with William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy. The shows made in the 60's. You may find them charming if not nostaligic.

Watch the original series from the 60's, preferably in order. They're horribly cheesy, but still pretty good (and in the case of a few episodes, downright great.) Follow that up by the 6 original cast movies, followed by Star Trek: the Next Generation, followed by Star Trek: Deep Space 9. Then pretend that the rest of the Star Trek stuff doesn't exist. You'll be happier for it.

I never really liked the original. I would start with the next generation. The later seasons were better. Deep space nine is awesome towards the end too.

I would start with the Orginal Series, then move on to The Next Generation, and then Deep Space Nine. You might want to watch some of the Voyager episodes before you buy them, because its the weakest of the Star Trek series IMO. Same thing with the first two seaons of Enterprise, but seasons three and four of Enterprise are good (Enterprise wont be out until next year).
Also, all of the even numbered Star Trek films are good, but you should get them all.

Start with whatever is being shown regularly on the TV channels you receive. If you have SciFi Channel it's pretty easy to find a list of the episode order online and wait for them to come around for viewing. Spike seems to be the main outlet for Next Gen and DS9.

Getit on the cheap and be sure you really want to pay for this stuff before laying down your money.

bread's done
Back