Where's A Good Place To File Taxes

longdillon1

CAGiversary!
Hi guys and gals.I'm new to filing taxes ( I'm 19 )and put in my first full year of work last year.I've gotten most of my W-2s and other financial statements.But I need to know where to file and whats the best thing to do.My Mom said H & R Block?Basically I need an idea of how to go about filing.Any and all help will be appriciated.
Thanks,
Dillon

If you're 19 and just worked your first full year, I'm sure you dont have much in the way of complex savings, investments or deductions.. just get a 1040EZ form at your local post office, fill it out and mail it in. There's no reason to pay a tax preperation service for something that will take you 20 minutes to do yourself with a basic calculator.

If you want to file online and get a quicker return (if you are eligible for one), I recommend TurboTax.

It's $20 to submit it online, but your refund will be direct deposited within 2 weeks.

I use TaxAct.com it 100% electronic and you don't mail away a single piece of paper. I have used them for the last 3 years. They support Federal and most State forms also.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']If you're 19 and just worked your first full year, I'm sure you dont have much in the way of complex savings, investments or deductions.. just get a 1040EZ form at your local post office, fill it out and mail it in. There's no reason to pay a tax preperation service for something that will take you 20 minutes to do yourself with a basic calculator.[/QUOTE]

Hell, as long as you don't own property or have any capital gains or anything overly complex (such as business expense deductions, etc.) odds are you could do it yourself, just like cornfed says -- I've done mine via 1040EZ and 1040A for about 10 years now. Grab a calculator, follow the directions, and you're good to go.

[quote name='s1eepinglionhart']Hell, as long as you don't own property or have any capital gains or anything overly complex (such as business expense deductions, etc.) odds are you could do it yourself, just like cornfed says -- I've done mine via 1040EZ and 1040A for about 10 years now. Grab a calculator, follow the directions, and you're good to go.[/QUOTE]

If you're up to a 1040A, I've found using a tax prep software is usually worthwile.. spending the $15 or $20 really pays off in time saved.. and tends to find deductions most people could miss. But if you're eligible for a 1040EZ, there's not a single reason at all to pay someone to do them.

Thanks Guys.I just started my business after jan 1st so next year ill have to file long form I guess.Ill do Ez this year.
Thanks,
Dillon

bread's done
Back