Where's my $99 PS2?

mbartholow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I have logged $100 of gift certifs on Amazon and I await this mystical $99 PS2 that all the news outlets reported would see release in "Early 2008". Will we be hearing word at E3 about this? Is it simply selling well enough that Sony doesn't need to drop it? I'm looking forward to Yakuza, several Atlus games, and some things I missed over this last generation.

[quote name='mbartholow']I have logged $100 of gift certifs on Amazon and I await this mystical $99 PS2 that all the news outlets reported would see release in "Early 2008". Will we be hearing word at E3 about this? Is it simply selling well enough that Sony doesn't need to drop it? I'm looking forward to Yakuza, several Atlus games, and some things I missed over this last generation.[/quote]

I believe Sony is waiting for you to buy before they release a PS2 w/games package in 20 diff themes/colors for 99.99 the next day ;)

[quote name='mbartholow']I'm looking forward to Yakuza, several Atlus games, and some things I missed over this last generation.[/quote]

Better pick up some of those games now or else you'll be spending much more than $30 savings on PS2 you're looking for.

Won't happen for sometime since the PS2 is selling astronomical amounts still. It's beating some next/current-gen systems on a month to month basis.

I doubt it will drop to 99 dollars anytime soon because its still selling like hotcakes.

[quote name='mbartholow']I have logged $100 of gift certifs on Amazon and I await this mystical $99 PS2 that all the news outlets reported would see release in "Early 2008". Will we be hearing word at E3 about this? Is it simply selling well enough that Sony doesn't need to drop it? I'm looking forward to Yakuza, several Atlus games, and some things I missed over this last generation.[/quote]

I can relate with you; I want the same games and want a pice drop. but I think I'll buy a used fat ps2 at gamestop for $80.

Someone mentioned the white Singstar bundle is on clearance or something at Best Buy for $129 (not sure if it's YMMV). Sell the Singstar game/mics for $35-40 and keep the white console for under $100. Not sure if you like the console in white color though.

I can relate with you; I want the same games and want a pice drop. but I think I'll buy a used fat ps2 at gamestop for $80.

Someone mentioned the white Singstar bundle is on clearance or something at Best Buy for $129 (not sure if it's YMMV). Sell the Singstar game/mics for $35-40 and keep the white console for under $100. Not sure if you like the console in white color though.

[quote name='camoor']While we're on the subject, where's my flying car?[/quote]

Where is my damn hoverboard!!!!!

[quote name='camoor']While we're on the subject, where's my flying car?[/quote]

Where is my damn hoverboard!!!!!

I'd buy a used one from ebay. I got a great deal on a slim with a game (Madden '07), Sony multitap, Sony memory card and controllers (4, 3 of which worked). Less than a new slim alone and it worked perfectly. I say worked only because I eventually "downgraded" to a fat PS2.

[quote name='camoor']I believe Sony is waiting for you to buy before they release a PS2 w/games package in 20 diff themes/colors for 99.99 the next day ;)[/quote]

I actually believe this is the case. I have had two in my home, one from launch day that was sold to pay for a Gamecube and another from a friend at a time when games were slim. Ebay is a great option, but I don't have another use for the Amazon Certifs or the extra $100 now. Hoping for that MSRP drop. I will take the advise and start grabbing games though.

PS2 is still selling very well and making Sony a profit. There's no way they are going to drop the price anytime soon until sales take a massive nose dive. Sony wants to make up loses in other areas.

[quote name='mbartholow']I actually believe this is the case. I have had two in my home, one from launch day that was sold to pay for a Gamecube and another from a friend at a time when games were slim. Ebay is a great option, but I don't have another use for the Amazon Certifs or the extra $100 now. Hoping for that MSRP drop. I will take the advise and start grabbing games though.[/QUOTE]

You can't use the amazon gift certificate for the games you want?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']PS2 is still selling very well and making Sony a profit. There's no way they are going to drop the price anytime soon until sales take a massive nose dive. Sony NEEDS to make up loses in other areas.[/QUOTE]

Fixed. ;)

Just like everyone has already stated, the PS2 is the only thing keeping Sony from failing miserably, not to mention that it fits in with the industry's overall trend of increased prices (i.e. $30 budget titles, $60 launch titles, ridiculously expensive consoles.)

[quote name='daphatty']Fixed. ;)

Just like everyone has already stated, the PS2 is the only thing keeping Sony from failing miserably, not to mention that it fits in with the industry's overall trend of increased prices (i.e. $30 budget titles, $60 launch titles, ridiculously expensive consoles.)[/quote]

I dunno about failing miserably, their PS3 sales are actually gaining steam.

[quote name='rodeojones903']You can't use the amazon gift certificate for the games you want?[/quote]

Just bought most of them at the Circuit City clearance for $6, only missing the system now.

[quote name='daphatty']Fixed. ;)

Just like everyone has already stated, the PS2 is the only thing keeping Sony from failing miserably, not to mention that it fits in with the industry's overall trend of increased prices (i.e. $30 budget titles, $60 launch titles, ridiculously expensive consoles.)[/QUOTE]Actually, from what I do believe, Sony also profits from every PSP Slim sold. They may not make much money off of its games, but it's hardware sales help. Sony isn't taking as big of a loss as previously with the PS3, but making a profit from every PS2 does help, and as long as its selling, I doubt Sony will drop the price for a bit.

Wish there would be a cheap PS2. mine will play every game I have except God of War (gotten 2 copies, plays every time on friends PS3, but very finicky on my PS2). Can't justify the $130 when mine plays well, but I really want to play GOW (plus, I figure in time, my PS2 will likely stop playing others).

bread's done
Back