Which camcorder or camera to choose??

Psykodelik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
For the past couple of months I've been looking around for a camcorder. There's 2 that I'm debating on getting and would like any feedback for either one. I will mainly use this for casual/friend/family outings and to use for references for my animation/concepts.

Panasonic g585 (minidv ~$300)
Sony dcr-sr42 (HDD ~$550)

I know they're two different recording mediums but it seems that the HDD would be easier to transfer the files on my computer. There was a canon hv-10(?) but it was $300 over my budget.

Since these 2 camcorders don't really give a good still picture, I was thinking of upgrading my current camera (canon a60 3.1mp) to a higher resolution. But I don't know which brand to get now, let alone one that would give nice video playback.

I also noticed there's "hybrids" but I don't know if those are any good. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

i haven't looked at camcorders for a while (have a canon ZR500 and love it) but i just picked up a Sony DSC-W90 and it is the best most user friendly digital camera i have ever used/had

you might want to get Canon PowershotS5IS
or Sony DSC H7
there nice cameras with movie mode...

check circuit city and use AAA coupon for a nice deal...

Yeah I saw those cameras today at my BB. Camera wise I'd lean more towards the canon. But how is the movie mode with either camera though? I really couldn't test that mode out because there was no memory card and I was in a rush to ask for an employee.

I picked up a JVC Everio 30HDD at Bestbuy for $500, and it's an awesome camera.

BUT, to answer your question, I'd say go with the Sony for no other reason than the HDD. I've used camcorders that DON'T have an HDD, and they're a pain compared to mine. I'm not sure what you're going to be filming, but not having to worry how much space you have left is a good thing.

bread's done
Back