Which candidate/platform is more space and science friendly?

Gourd

CAGiversary!
Still trying to figure out how best to tackle learning who to vote for.

The wife and I haven't watched, (or possessed) a real television for about ten years. Even if we had that available, I can't stand watching talking heads.

Where can I best find a break down of the candidates stances on basic research funding and space exploration? /Specific/ plans or comments, rather than general 'edumacation and sciencey gumption are awful important, ayup,' comments?

Any additional funding for the Space Shuttle should be a red flag. It has been and will always be a boondoggle.

The focus for the last 30-35 years should have been a permanent base on the moon to build up a Lunar Solar Power (/Death Ray) program, Helium 3 mining and general adaptation to a barren environment.

Launching from the moon is much cheaper and raw materials can be shipped to the moon much cheaper than the shuttle.

I too think McCain/Palin are the space party.

When it comes to issues McCain is a certifiable space cadet ('what economic problems - why don't you whiners just sell one of your houses to pay off the debt') and there's a whole lot of unexplored space between Palin's ears.

I wouldn't expect much difference one way or the other. NASA has been well funded since the 60's with presidents from both parties.

Humanity in general is committed to science and space exploration it seems, so I don't think you'll see a shift in this barring some kind or crisis like World War III, a major global economic collapse etc. that make it infeasible for a while.

[quote name='camoor']I too think McCain/Palin are the space party.

When it comes to issues McCain is a certifiable space cadet ('what economic problems - why don't you whiners just sell one of your houses to pay off the debt') and there's a whole lot of unexplored space between Palin's ears.[/QUOTE]

Knee slapper.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I wouldn't expect much difference one way or the other. NASA has been well funded since the 60's with presidents from both parties.

Humanity in general is committed to science and space exploration it seems, so I don't think you'll see a shift in this barring some kind or crisis like World War III, a major global economic collapse etc. that make it infeasible for a while.[/quote]

Of course, and it's self-interested. Gotta claim those valuable space colonies early. I think someone's even already selling real estate on the moon (lol)

With all the global warming, Russia, Canada, and even the USA are sending subs up to the Artic to place little flags everywhere. Funny how it's such a myth that we're already planning who gets what piece (AKA conservatives talking out of both sides of their mouths again - shocking!)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6927395.stm

[quote name='camoor']Of course, and it's self-interested. Gotta claim those valuable space colonies early. I think someone's even already selling real estate on the moon (lol)

With all the global warming, Russia, Canada, and even the USA are sending subs up to the Artic to place little flags everywhere. Funny how it's such a myth that we're already planning who gets what piece (AKA conservatives talking out of both sides of their mouths again - shocking!)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6927395.stm[/QUOTE]

I was just reading an article about this in Foreign Affairs. Very interesting piece that talked about how the melting of the artic will not just be a scramble for resources but also new shipping routes. Apparently 2 new shipping routes will open up that will cut travel time to several key ports by 20% and 55% respectivly. This means billions saved for major industry.

Sad thing is that the US only has 1 ice breaker and its like 20 years old. We are also trying to keep out of the issue for the most part right now and falling behind fast.

Personally I think the issue of the artic is going to get ugly FAST. Within 10 years or so I wouldnt be suprised if a war has started over it, and if none has tensions will be as high as they can get.

On topic - Science is one of my important issues. Sadly neither candidate has been that impressive on it, but Obama with his green plans has been slightly better. He also seems to be able to seperate religion and politics which should help the field of science alot. On the space end iv go no freaking clue. Hopefully both want to end most space exploration. It pisses me off to no end that we havnt even explored the freaking planet we live on and we have major crisis's.....yet we give billions to NASA.

As Colbert pointed out - since Mt. McKinley is in Alaska and the US's closest point to space, Palin has more experience in space policy.

[quote name='SpazX']As Colbert pointed out - since Mt. McKinley is in Alaska and the US's closest point to space, Palin has more experience in space policy.[/QUOTE]

I also heard rumors that one of her 12 kids was fathered by Ric Flair. So I guess she has been to space mountain....that has to count for something! WHOOOOOOO!

[quote name='thrustbucket']Which liberals NEVER do. Aren't you glad you are one?[/quote]

Well - I take solace in the fact that I am a pretty poor liberal.

Obama's views on 14 science-related questions, as posed by professionals. McCain hasn't answered, but he will eventually, we're told.

http://www.sciencedebate2008.com/www/index.php?id=40

Also of interest is Obama's appearance at Google last year, where he praises the *radical* idea of government based on facts and evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4yVlPqeZwo

Above and beyond all that, I'd say the party that doesn't believe in evolution or global warming probably ain't the "science and reason" party.

[quote name='trq']Above and beyond all that, I'd say the party that doesn't believe in evolution or global warming probably ain't the "science and reason" party.[/quote]

Wouldn't building a rocket get us closer to Jee-zus?

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Wouldn't building a rocket get us closer to Jee-zus?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps when it explodes.

I lol'd at McCain: "lower capital gains taxes to encourage domestic investment from large companies"

Does anyone actually buy that kind of quote at all, not realizing that it's yet another way to bone middle class and greaten the divide between the rich and the poor? Such, such bullshit... I hope the majority of Americans can see right through that and scoff at him claiming it's to increase "domestic investment"...

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']God would keep it from exploding if you pray hard enough.

Prayer > Sound Engineering.[/QUOTE]

What if you pray that the people who built your rocket didn't believe in magic? Then you're a good fundie AND you get to keep all your pieces attached to all your other pieces.

There's a bigger issue here--

How does OP not own a television for the last 10 years, yet is posting on a videogame website?

Riddle me that, Batman.

[quote name='keithp']There's a bigger issue here--

How does OP not own a television for the last 10 years, yet is posting on a videogame website?

Riddle me that, Batman.[/quote]

Handhelds.

~HotShotX

Riddle me that, Batman.[/QUOTE]

Or he could mean too that they have a TV but not accese to cable or network channels. I own 3 TVs including a 32inch HD Plasma and havnt watched TV on any of them for the last 3 years. I find it easier though to tell people I dont have TV though then to explain I have a TV but dont have any TV channels. People act like its the weirdest thing in the world even after I explain we use netflix and download tv shows we like off the net.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Or he could mean too that they have a TV but not accese to cable or network channels. I own 3 TVs including a 32inch HD Plasma and havnt watched TV on any of them for the last 3 years. I find it easier though to tell people I dont have TV though then to explain I have a TV but dont have any TV channels. People act like its the weirdest thing in the world even after I explain we use netflix and download tv shows we like off the net.[/quote]

How can you get your news if it isn't spoon fed to you through a TV station?

EDIT: Here's your local news. Somebody was raped. Another person was murdered. The cops that tazed that unarmed black guy with cerebral palsy 18 times were cleared of all wrongdoing. There. Now, you're up to speed.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']How can you get your news if it isn't spoon fed to you through a TV station?

EDIT: Here's your local news. Somebody was raped. Another person was murdered. The cops that tazed that unarmed black guy with cerebral palsy 18 times were cleared of all wrongdoing. There. Now, you're up to speed.[/QUOTE]

Ya, one of my favorite parts of my Political Science class was when my teacher spent a whole chapter talking about how local news is the most worthless crapticular thing on TV and that anyone that gets their news from it might as well just get their news from the sci fi Jesus had an alien baby rags at the check out counter.

Riddle me that, Batman.[/quote]

[quote name='MSI Magus']Or he could mean too that they have a TV but not accese to cable or network channels. {snip} I find it easier though to tell people I dont have TV though then to explain I have a TV but dont have any TV channels. People act like its the weirdest thing in the world even after I explain we use netflix and download tv shows we like off the net.[/quote]

This. It's just easier to say that we don't have a TV. Basically, we have a HDMI monitor with consoles hooked up to it. Please don't think it's because of some elitist reason; the Wife and I just thought we were wasting money for a service we didn't really use. We both come from poor backgrounds, so the kneejerk reaction was to cut the bill and blow the money on alcohol instead. :)

Thanks for the discussion and links. I wasn't sure if anyone would take this thread seriously.

Anyway, thanks for the links and discussion. I wasn't sure if I'd actually get some serious responses or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back