Which DVD/CD burner is better?

I have the NEC that I just installed the other day, I haven't burned anything yet, but I hear it burns very well from just about everyone, which led me to buy it. Plus it's cheaper than the Pioneer, which is a definite plus. But I hear the Pioneer is a good burner too. Maybe we should have a poll?

I've read both are good....maye a few more favorable reviews for the Pioneer...but those could be Pioneer whore who are in love with them.

Cannot go wrong either way.....

I have used Sony dual format burners since the first model and have found them to be excellent...they are under $100 at newegg

I ordered the 2 OEM versions of the Pioneer (for 2 video editing machines that are only compatible with the Pioneer DVD-R s) at www.securemart.com and paid for Fed Ex Ground $4. Anyway they had a warehouse near me in Atlanta so I received it in less than 24 hours. So I got a cool deal on shipping, and didn't know it at the time. The Pioneers work great, but I am not using a Windows PC so YMMY.

I bought an 8x lite-on drive from Newegg a few months ago and promptly returned it (losing me 20 bucks in restocking fees and shipping). The ammount of errors the drive made on DVD-R media was staggering. And out of 15 discs I burned only 6 came out without having files corrupted. I would recommend trying something other than Lite-On (all sony DVD burners are now rebadged Lite-Ons as well).

I have an NEC drive, and with ridata/ritek media I have no problems. I did buy some generic media off of some site, people claimed it sucked, but I burned over 200 discs and no coasters. I would stick with ritek or ridata though, because they have better QC. But then people have their own opinions. ritek works on my ps2, and my dvd player, so thats all that matters to me.

I heard the hacked firmware for NEC works well too.

I have a NEC 16x dual layer burner and it rocks!... it's cheap too!... i have some problems with non-brand DVD media though but not Ritek... I like using Memorex 8x... no problems at all!

[quote name='cruzincontrol']Seems the Lite-On is the only one I can find that includes software...[/quote]

I've been recommended CD Burner XP Pro, which is free. If you want to make copies of DVDs, DVD Shrink. It's free too. You shouldn't have a problem finding either with your friendly neighborhood Google.

bread's done
Back