Which Game Should I Play Next?? Advice Needed

kingkiller33

CAGiversary!
Hey guys,

This may sound like an odd request, but I need advice on which game to pick next to play. My situation is that my gaming time is very limited, mainly just weekends, and I have an insane backlog. So choosing a new game to start is a pretty big deal.

I just finished GOW 2, and it took me two months to complete that one. The problem is my backlog is becoming so old that I'm missing out on the online experience. Here's some options for me:

Demon Souls - I'm afraid if I keep putting this one off, I won't get to experience the online component where you see people's ghosts. I suspsect the servers will come down once Dark Souls comes out in Oct.

Borderlands - yep, it's still brand new and sealed on my shelf. What a dummy I was to buy this on release date at full price. Now with Borderlands 2 coming out, I fear that the online community will abandon this title.

Bad Company 2 - another one I got sealed, the multiplayer games made drop big time once Battlefield 3 hits. Heck, I own Battlefield 2 and never got around to playing that one! lol

Black Ops - I love Nazi Zombies, and sad that WOW is dropping quickly in players. Maybe I should jump on this one quickly before everyone moves onto the next COD game.

I did finally stop the madness this year and refuse to buy any more games unless they were $20 bucks or less.

Black Ops: Nazi zombies- Has so many zombie maps to choose from and the new guns are awesome! It also helps in some way that you have others to help you. You probably will never get bored of Nazi zombies on Black Ops because by next month there'll be 11 maps to play on (10 maps((if you have Hardened Edition))right now). I extremely recommend getting this (it's hard to get bored of Nazi zombies).

Demon Souls is also the way to go! I haven't played it, but i've heard it's a great RPG. So if you're into RPG's i'd recommend getting this also.

Forget Bad Company 2, people are still playing BF2. If you want to play the best game first, I'd probably do Demon Souls (which also happens to be the only one on your list I haven't played, but I hear it's good). You probably want to avoid Black Ops because that game is a huge time sink. I also suggest you find some real-life friends to play Borderlands with, rather than strangers online.

I'm like you dude with Demon's Souls, right now I'm currently trying to play through a lot of Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 (These trophies can take such a long time to get...), but I'll probably switch over to Demon's Souls soon.

I say go for Demon's Souls, because I'm going to haha.

I say you can wait on Black Ops. I couldn't get into the new zombie maps as much, but it's a nice change and there's a map pack coming out soon that has all the previous ones in it. But truthfully, Modern Warfare 3 won't have zombies, so even if it's new, there will still be people playing Black Ops if only for zombie mode. So I think you are safe to hold on more for that game.

Demon Souls....you are going to have to commit. If you don't have the time to really sink into it, I don't think you're going to have a lot of fun with it. It's frustrating and I'm sure it's even worse if it's something you have to leave and pick up again much later.

So the two I would say are Bad Company 2 or Borderlands. Truthfully, I had more fun with Borderlands. I think Bad Company 2 can be less fun if you don't have a nice group of friends you play with since randoms can either make or break a match. I usually played Borderlands by myself, and while online co-op was fun, you also have a lot of people with modded guns who just blow through everything for you. But don't expect the story to knock you off your feet either.​

I've played every game on that list, and while I do love some Demon's Souls, I have to say go with Borderlands. The game is so addictive and fun that you will likely make time to play more. Online co-op is so much fun, so try to get a friend to play along with you. You can also do LAN co-op and get a friend to bring his Xbox/PS3 over and play that way.

My girlfriend decided to learn how to control a FPS (before, she could barely handle New Super Mario Bros.) just to play this game after watching me play all the time and have so much fun. Getting her to go from saying "do you want to play some Rock Band" to "I need to get a new fire SMG and a better shield", pretty much made this one of my top games for this generation.

The problem with Demon's Souls is that it takes a while to get acclimated to playing so you can go from dying 5 times in a row and thinking "this is extremely frustrating" to "I'm going to get these bastards". It's a close second on that list, but I'd be worried that your limited game time would hurt you when you were trying to get going in the game.

A benefit of Demon's Souls is unless you are in the middle of a boss battle (saving and exiting deposits you outside the boss fog gate when you load the game back up) or have been invaded by a black phantom player you can save and exit at any time. That sits your player down in the level and then when you load your game back up it starts from the exact spot you exited the game. So if you wanted to squeeze in a 20 or 25 quick minutes during the week you don't have to keep playing until you reach a save point, just play until you can't play anymore and exit.

I wouldn't let Demon's Souls reputation for difficulty turn you off the game. It's quite enjoyable.

I think the key is just to take a more patient and methodical approach to the game than the average button masher games out there. Just remember that when you do die, ask yourself why it happened and try to learn from it. If you're like me, you'll really come to enjoy the game's combat system and style of play.

Also, you can make things a bit easier by starting as either the Royal or Temple Knight starting classes, imo. Temple Knight has some very strong armor, and the halberd, if wielded with two hands, is extremely formidable. You can still throw the shield on when the situation demands it, but, it alters the fighting style. All this is personal preference, though.

bread's done
Back