Which games do you think we don't need any more of?

[quote name='DrunkTigerWoods'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='javeryh']OK.... There's always a need for a new Madden game every year. If you don't play it that's fine but it doesn't mean that it would be a good idea to stop making them. If that were true then I would say we don't need anymore RPGs because I think they are all the same boring crap but that would just be insane. :)[/quote]

If you can tell me a major difference between all of the versions of Madden, from let's say 03-05 (other than roster changes), than you will have made a point and I will concede but so far I don't see any, not even (well maybe but barely) in graphics. I can tell you why we need RPGs that is an easy one though sometimes a little bit more variety in them (you know RPGs other than FFs) would be nice, I will give you that.[/quote]

2004 had arm hair and 2003 didn't.[/quote]

How about comparing Final Fantasy with Madden? How much change was there between FFVII, FFVIII, and FFIX?[/quote]
Did you play those games? Each of those games had a different story, characters, magic system, and they got graphically better. The only thing thats the same about them is that they are all rpgs.[/quote]

Yeah, I own VII and IX, but I'm trying to at least pick an example instead of a whole genre. Madden gets refined each year with new features and fixing balance issues. I'd compare sports games to FPS before I'd compare them to RPG's, because FPS's don't change all that much from year to year, but the changes can be big enough for fans of the genre to go out and get them.

No more first-person shooters and please, God, no more "gangsta" games. Come on now children, it's not cool to emulate scumbags.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal'][quote name='Tromack']I say Grand Theft Auto's also. I mean GTA III was sweet as hell, but if you can tell me any substantial improvement between III and San Andreas I will bow down to you.[/quote]

That's easy, you can ride a bike. Begin bowing.[/quote]

GTA Amsterdam! A million identical crappy bicycles to steal. The most realistic game in the series.

They only difference I've seen in GTA: SA is that you can work out or be fat. That's not worth fifty dollars. It's not even worth fifty lempiras.

[quote name='dcfox'][quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='hiccupleftovers']What I wanted to convey by creating this thread was basically the need for more original titles in the video game market place. I think that is basically what we are all getting at. I really don't feel like arguing with everyone and turning this thread into some fanboy/flame thread so please try to keep it clean. We all have our own ideas and opinions so let's try to just convey those instead of inciting a flame war.[/quote]

Ahhh, I think this is the perfect time to resurrect my game creation. Here it goes again.

've thought of this game a lot and have wished and wished a company would actually make it. It would be a MMO set in a world where zombies have spread throughout the entire world and the only humans left are in small clusters and a few military zones.

The game would start off with showing you how all the world has gone down the shitter ever since the zombies came. Then it shows you witnessing your own family being murdered and killed by the zombies, but you manage to make it into your attic and wait it out there for a few days until the zombies go away. But when you come down, you find out that your family has turned into zombies and you have the option of killing them or letting them live their undead lives out as zombies.

Basically the point of the game would be to stay alive and try to make it to a small colony. Once you get to the colony, you have the option of what kind of job you want. You can be a Collecter (A person who goes out and gathers supplies for the colony), a Soldier (Pretty obvious here, but your job is to protect the colony from the invading zombie hordes), a Rescuer (Someone who goes out and finds other people who may be trapped inside buildings) and there could be a few other different kinds of characters.

But you can also just stay by yourself or with a few others and try to make it by yourselves, or join a biker gang and raid other colonies killing the horses and raping the women.

Also while you're away from the colony or traveling alone, you have a small radio that the only channel it picks up is an old FM radio station with a crazy old man who gives news and other tips to everyone in the game.

You would also have to find food and water to drink, and once you get bitten by a zombie, you'll have small amount of time to use a serum that can heal you from the virus. But if you succumb to the virus, you will turn into a zombie and either have the option of dying and restarting your game at the colony or some other save point or becoming a zombie yourself and joining your once enemies trying to eat as many humans as you want.

I thought using an engine similar to GTA would look kinda neat. But basically, the game would be so awesome if it could give you a sense that you are actually alone in the video game until you find someone else to help you out.

I could go on and on about this game, but that is pretty must the gist of it. What do you guys think of it? Personally, I think it would be a crazy addictive game, especially when you add the Massive Multiplayer Online aspect of it.[/quote]

Sounds alot like 28 Days Later, not that its a bad thing. But isn't Stubbs the Zombie similar to that as well? I haven't read too much on the game but the whole zombie and being able to be infected thing kinda reminded me of it.[/quote]

Nah, 'Stubbs the Zombie' is more of a GTA of zombie games in that rather than being a zombie fighter you're a zombie seeking to conquer the world for your kind. Humans you kill become zombies under your control. It's looking fairly promising so far.

There is really only one determination that is going to determine whether publishers abandon a genre. Does it stilll generate good sales when sufficient effort is applied to make a better entry? The platformer genre should be thoroughly played out but developers keep managing to keep it interesting. Meanwhile, sidescrolling and overhead scrolling shooters have had a harder time justifying new development investment. New ideas that maintain novelty have been harder to find for that genre.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Up until last week I would have said Resident Evil but RE4 is an excellent update to the series.

But now...I'd probably go with Mega Man and King of Fighters just because both franschises are in a position where their creators don't do nearly as much with them as they could (and for the past several years).[/quote]

Resident Evil 4 was good, But it really wasn't a Resident Evil game in my mind. I'm still pretty damn pissed on how they ended the whole Umbrella Corp. deal. It's a great game but I still kind of wish they didn't use the Resident Evil name on it. It just doesn't feel like a Resident Evil game any more.

Plus Mikami has left Capcom and Resident Evil and I don't want to see anyone else take over the series.

Definately Final Fantasy. At least make a new name like " Next Fantasy with same story, gameplay, and metrosexual men but upgraded graphics 458,019.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']exaclty. Good point Mr. Unoriginal. See javeryh is that what you said about saying how all RPGs are all alike is well wrong to say the least. It's like saying that because this show is a comedy and that show is a comedy that they both have the same jokes. Wrong. They both have their jokes and their own sense of humor because of the writers, actors, etc. RPGs have stories and that's why many gamers play them. They have similiarities but it's the equivalent of saying that this action movie has action and explosions and so does that one, but you still go to see both action movies because you like them. That's one thing that Hollywood has been able to master and to capture so that we continue to come and see movies that are ultimately the same. Their is most of the time a bad guy and a good guy and most of the time (well nealry all the time) the good guy/s wins. What I'm making at about Madden is that there is absolutely no difference between the years. they are all the same basically, you can see small improvements but what is actually different about them? Graphics, umm...no EA doesn't like to improve on those, gameplay not really the opponent still tends to cheat IMO, etc., etc. The list goes on and on.[/quote]

You just keep missing my point. Where I see differences with every Madden and feel it is worth $50, you do not. Where you see differences with every turn based, magic casting, text-heavy, save the world, mind-numbing RPG that gets repackaged 25 times a year and feel they are worth $50, I do not. At least Madden only comes out once a year. This does not mean that they should stop making either though just because you or I are tired of it.

The Bond franchise. I wouldn't be saying this about a year ago, since Agent Under Fire, Nightfire and Everything Or Nothing were at least decent games, even if they didn't live up to the N64 title that got this whole thing started. But since Goldeneye: Rogue Agent was awful, the Bond franchise either needs to improve or go.

[quote name='CapAmerica'][quote name='Strider Turbulence']Up until last week I would have said Resident Evil but RE4 is an excellent update to the series.

But now...I'd probably go with Mega Man and King of Fighters just because both franschises are in a position where their creators don't do nearly as much with them as they could (and for the past several years).[/quote]

Resident Evil 4 was good, But it really wasn't a Resident Evil game in my mind. I'm still pretty damn pissed on how they ended the whole Umbrella Corp. deal. It's a great game but I still kind of wish they didn't use the Resident Evil name on it. It just doesn't feel like a Resident Evil game any more.

Plus Mikami has left Capcom and Resident Evil and I don't want to see anyone else take over the series.[/quote]

I take it someone is criticizing a game that they have not played?

and if you have, you need to finish it

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='CapAmerica'][quote name='Strider Turbulence']Up until last week I would have said Resident Evil but RE4 is an excellent update to the series.

Plus Mikami has left Capcom and Resident Evil and I don't want to see anyone else take over the series.[/quote]

and if you have, you need to finish it[/quote]

Ya I haven't finished it yet. I like the game so far, but it just doesn't feel like a Resident Evil game without Umbrella Corp. And Capcom has said that they have axed Umbrella Corp and the T-Virus form the game. If I find out they lied, its going to jepordized me buying any Capcom games in the future. I hate it when companies lie to the customers.

[quote name='CapAmerica'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='CapAmerica'][quote name='Strider Turbulence']Up until last week I would have said Resident Evil but RE4 is an excellent update to the series.

and if you have, you need to finish it[/quote]

Ya I haven't finished it yet. I like the game so far, but it just doesn't feel like a Resident Evil game without Umbrella Corp. And Capcom has said that they have axed Umbrella Corp and the T-Virus form the game. If I find out they lied, its going to jepordized me buying any Capcom games in the future. I hate it when companies lie to the customers.[/quote]

they didn't lie. Just wait until you get to the end of the game. A lot of things start to get cleared up.

[quote name='whiteboy']Definately Final Fantasy. At least make a new name like " Next Fantasy with same story, gameplay, and metrosexual men but upgraded graphics 458,019.[/quote]

The reason for the "Final" in the name is that when Squaresoft released the first Final Fantasy on the NES, they were on the verge of bankruptcy. They thought they were going to close up after the game was released, so it was going to be their "final" game. Of course, Final Fantasy ended up being a huge success, Squaresoft was saved, and we all know the rest of the story.

bread's done
Back