Which is Better? Burnout 3 or Burnout Revenge?

I've put about 10 hours into Burnout 3, and I liked it better than the bit of Revenge that I played when I rented it... But I'll get back to you once I finish B3 and open Revenge, putting a significant amount of time into it.

[quote name='DaleNixon']Burnout2 > Burnout 3 > Burnout Revenge

Burnout Revenge is just an interactive screensaver.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Why is Burnout 2 better than Burnout 3? Everything I have read says that there is a HUGE jump in quality from 2 to 3. I have only played 2 so far.

[quote name='dtarasev']I heard Revenge doesn't have that GODDAMN announcer guy from Burnout 3. I despise that man with every inch of my body![/QUOTE]

You can turn him off ya know. ;)

I loved 3 waaaay more than 2, but I havent played Revenge yet. I know that probably helps not at all...

[quote name='Puffa469']You can turn him off ya know. ;)

I loved 3 waaaay more than 2, but I havent played Revenge yet. I know that probably helps not at all...[/QUOTE]

Dammit where? I was sure I looked all over.

[quote name='The Don']Which is Better? Burnout 3 or Burnout Revenge?[/QUOTE]
if you want to know which one to buy get burnout 3. its going to be $10 next week.

I like 3 more then revenge, but that is probably because I havent really put any time into revenge.

[quote name='DT778']if you want to know which one to buy get burnout 3. its going to be $10 next week.

I like 3 more then revenge, but that is probably because I havent really put any time into revenge.[/QUOTE]I'm not in that big of a rush to get into the burnout series. Do you think it would be better to wait until burnout revenge is at a good price.

I like the crash mode in revenge better but race mode in 3 better. Traffic checking takes alot away from the races imo. Both are great games all in all.

[quote name='The Don']I'm not in that big of a rush to get into the burnout series. Do you think it would be better to wait until burnout revenge is at a good price.[/QUOTE]
get 3 next week for $10 at Circuit City. Its a great game. I don't even really like racing game but I love this one.

I liked the direction that Revenge took with the races and crash mode, but it just felt really shallow in the end, given that there's about half the tracks that B3 had. Granted, they kinda spoiled everyone with 100 crash tracks in 3, but when they can't even produce half as many, it just seemed really disapointing.

Traffic checking is ok, but it just gives you the option of racing less cautiously, and that's not really what Burnout was supposed to be. Without having to worry about half the traffic on the road, the game becomes very forgiving in what you can do. Granted, the rediculous AI (where it can catch up out of seemingly nowhere) is still there, but it's not nearly as difficult to beat.

3 > R > 2 > 1

If the weight of your car and the cars you hit had an effect on your car checking abilities I would have been all for it. How ever something about my ferrari like car pushing a box truck out of the way while going 190 into it's rear seems very very wrong.

I've put in about 8 hours on Burnout Revenge, and on the whole, I like it better than 3, mainly due to the different paths you can take on the courses and the differing elevations. Also, the lack of Striker is a huge plus that cannot be overlooked when comparing the two. If you haven't played the series before, go ahead and get part 3 and then wait for Revenge to drop in price (or better yet, maybe they'll be a next-gen Burnout in time for the PS3 launch in the fall).

Revenge. The Crash mode has improved vastly taking away the icons. The racing gets even more fun and frenetic with the traffic checking. You'll be amazed the first time you actually aim a car into a rival car and take them out.

From about level 5 on, traffic checking isn't as simple as it's made out to be. You're going so fast that you won't even see the buses and semis mixed in with checked traffic so it's not like you can just stay in the correct lane and not worry about traffic. You still have to be very selective. In fact, from about level 7 on, you'll pay if you do choose to just check traffic constantly.

Would buying either Burnout 3 or Burnout Revenge make the other game obsolete? The two games seem too similar.

[quote name='DT778']get 3 next week for $10 at Circuit City. Its a great game. I don't even really like racing game but I love this one.[/QUOTE]

Me too. Typically, I don't like racing games at all but Burnout 3 freaking rules.

Hmm, well I have put a decent amount of time into both. I've put more time into 3, simply because I've had it longer. Overall I do like Revenge better, but there are a few things that I miss from 3. Most of all, I miss the replays of the crashes in crash mode. I loved doing party crash with a bunch of people, and then whenever someone got a really good crash we could just sit and watch the replay. For some bizarre reason, there's no replay in Revenge, which is tremendously disappointing and really detracts from the Crash Mode experience, even if the gameplay has technically improved.

Traffic checking seems to be a love-it or hate-it thing. I personally love it. As someone else said, it's a great moment the first time you actually plan out a Traffic Check takedown and execute it successfully. I was worried at first that it would unbalance the game, but as I played more I found that it worked out well. It could just be my imagination, but it feels like the tracks themselves are a lot more dangerously designed. There is much more opportunity to ram into a part of the scenery, and there's even that mountain level where you can easily drive right off the edge and die. So I think the track design compensates for the checkable traffic (along with the aforementioned Buses and Big Rigs thrown into the mix). Also, I believe you get more turbo boost by driving in the wrong lane, so there is still a trade-off.

Another questionable new feature was the mid-race Crashbreakers. But after playing the game for a while, I'm loving this feature. In the "Crashbreaker Races" that you get later in the game, whenever you crash you can press B to activate your Crashbreaker. If the explosion takes someone out, you get some sweet revenge and a nice turbo boost. But if you whiff the crashbreaker, you lose ALL your turbo, which can really hurt you. So again, it's a nice trade-off that keeps the feature from being too abusable. Each time you crash, you have to evaluate the situation really quickly and figure out if you want to try your crashbreaker or not.

Another purely aesthetic change is the takedown camera. In 3, the camera did a matrix-style zoom towards the car you just took down and did a semi-slow motion effect before zooming back to you. In Revenge, the camera "cuts" straight to a dramatic angle of the takedown, with no slowdown, and then cuts right back to you. Sometimes I miss the style used in 3, but the Revenge style does keep everything more fast and frantic.

So overall I like Revenge better. But both are great fun, 3 still has a few things that could be considered advantages over Revenge. If XBL play is important you may as well go for Revenge, since it will probably have a more active online community right now. If XBL isn't a factor than it's just your call.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Hmm, well I have put a decent amount of time into both. I've put more time into 3, simply because I've had it longer. Overall I do like Revenge better, but there are a few things that I miss from 3. Most of all, I miss the replays of the crashes in crash mode. I loved doing party crash with a bunch of people, and then whenever someone got a really good crash we could just sit and watch the replay. For some bizarre reason, there's no replay in Revenge, which is tremendously disappointing and really detracts from the Crash Mode experience, even if the gameplay has technically improved.

Traffic checking seems to be a love-it or hate-it thing. I personally love it. As someone else said, it's a great moment the first time you actually plan out a Traffic Check takedown and execute it successfully. I was worried at first that it would unbalance the game, but as I played more I found that it worked out well. It could just be my imagination, but it feels like the tracks themselves are a lot more dangerously designed. There is much more opportunity to ram into a part of the scenery, and there's even that mountain level where you can easily drive right off the edge and die. So I think the track design compensates for the checkable traffic (along with the aforementioned Buses and Big Rigs thrown into the mix). Also, I believe you get more turbo boost by driving in the wrong lane, so there is still a trade-off.

Another questionable new feature was the mid-race Crashbreakers. But after playing the game for a while, I'm loving this feature. In the "Crashbreaker Races" that you get later in the game, whenever you crash you can press B to activate your Crashbreaker. If the explosion takes someone out, you get some sweet revenge and a nice turbo boost. But if you whiff the crashbreaker, you lose ALL your turbo, which can really hurt you. So again, it's a nice trade-off that keeps the feature from being too abusable. Each time you crash, you have to evaluate the situation really quickly and figure out if you want to try your crashbreaker or not.

Another purely aesthetic change is the takedown camera. In 3, the camera did a matrix-style zoom towards the car you just took down and did a semi-slow motion effect before zooming back to you. In Revenge, the camera "cuts" straight to a dramatic angle of the takedown, with no slowdown, and then cuts right back to you. Sometimes I miss the style used in 3, but the Revenge style does keep everything more fast and frantic.

So overall I like Revenge better. But both are great fun, 3 still has a few things that could be considered advantages over Revenge. If XBL play is important you may as well go for Revenge, since it will probably have a more active online community right now. If XBL isn't a factor than it's just your call.[/QUOTE]Wow. Thanks for putting the time into your reply. Some people mentioned that Revenge was too easy compared to 3. What do you think?

[quote name='Madskills1182']3 is better. They made Revenge way to easy[/QUOTE]How did they make Revenge way to easy? Is it because you can crash into traffic unaffected?

I really don't think Revenge is easier than 3; if you played through 3 then you basically know what to expect and there's not much of a learning curve aside from traffic attack (which is actually pretty easy, at least through level 7).

[quote name='coolz481']I really don't think Revenge is easier than 3; if you played through 3 then you basically know what to expect and there's not much of a learning curve aside from traffic attack (which is actually pretty easy, at least through level 7).[/QUOTE]I have not played through 3. Will I find Revenge to be easy if i start out with Revenge?

[quote name='The Don']I have not played through 3. Will I find Revenge to be easy if i start out with Revenge?[/QUOTE]

if you get 3, you will eventually want to get revenge...but if you get revenge, you will probably have no desire to get 3, so just get revenge from the getgo...

[quote name='swetooth9']if you get 3, you will eventually want to get revenge...but if you get revenge, you will probably have no desire to get 3, so just get revenge from the getgo...[/QUOTE]

This is the best advice in this thread (but I think you should get 3 since it is cheap then next year you will be able to find Revenge cheap.) Revenge kicks ass and is far superior to 3. If you haven't played 3 or Revenge get 3. Then after you play the hell out of 3 ($9.99 @ CC next week) buy Revenge when it is cheaper. If you play Revenge you won't want to go back to the old ways of 3.

[quote name='spoo']This is the best advice in this thread (but I think you should get 3 since it is cheap then next year you will be able to find Revenge cheap.) Revenge kicks ass and is far superior to 3. If you haven't played 3 or Revenge get 3. Then after you play the hell out of 3 ($9.99 @ CC next week) buy Revenge when it is cheaper. If you play Revenge you won't want to go back to the old ways of 3.[/QUOTE]If Revenge is better than 3, do you think I should not buy 3 and wait for Revenge to drop very cheap before getting into the Burnout series?

Having played all of the Burnout games, I would have to say that 3 was the most innovative and the most fun. Burnout Revenge seems like a more polished version of Burnout 3 but it didn't blow me away the same way 3 did. Between my roommates and I we must have put at least 250 hours into Burnout 3 and I enjoyed every minute of it.

So to answer your question I think 3 is better than Revenge but not by much.

[quote name='The Don']If Revenge is better than 3, do you think I should not buy 3 and wait for Revenge to drop very cheap before getting into the Burnout series?[/QUOTE]

The thing is that both of the games are damn great. I would say just buy Revenge but with 3 being cheap next week as a CAG I can't recomend spending $45 for Revenge when Burnout 3 is $9.99.

I'm glad people are saying 3 is better. I've been wanting to get a burnout for cheap. Now I don't have to wait for revenge to go cheap. Thanks!

I've played a ton of every Burnout, and I say Burnout 3 is way better than Revenge. There are just a ton of things about Burnout Revenge that piss me off to no end. I will say that Revenge's crash mode is a lot better than 3, but it sucks that there are so few junctions. I also love the track design. The branching paths, liberal takedown setups, and opportunities for air are awesome. It's all the places they dropped the ball that ruin the game for me.

My Burnout Revenge Gripes:

AI - Holy shit. In the course of a year they managed to turn this game's AI all the way back down to Burnout 1 levels. Even worse, actually. Like Burnout 1, your opponents are always immediately behind you. You can boost an entire race, wreck once, and get passed by the entire field (well, usually one car will stay behind you). No worries though, as you'll be pretty much immediately sprung back to first in a matter of seconds. It might seem like these two things cancel each other out, but what it comes down to is that you don't have to play the game. Try this: start a race, don't boost, don't takedown anyone. Just press the gas, and don't wreck. On the last lap gun it and see how easily you pick up the win.

Speed - When you boost, the game is perfectly fast. But if you ever run out you'll be hating yourself. Not boosting is just plain boring. And since the impact of wrong-lane driving has been seriously diminished in favor of takedowns, running out is a distinct possibility. Consider this scenario - Start the race and take down one opponent to get your boost up, then floor it. If you manage to miss the other cars as you fly past them, you've now got a race ahead of you with 2x boost that will likely run out. When it does, you can hope for one of the AI racers to actually catch up and provide some takedown fodder without your having to wreck first, or you can go the more effective way and just die (see next topic).

Crashbreakers - I actually can't complain too much about these, since they are pretty satisfying and offer a good counter to the crap AI. But damn did they ever mess up the boost system. The best way to gain boot by far is to just wreck and blow everybody up - boom, full boost meter.

Single player - I actually nothing to complain about here except for the fact that it doesn't exist. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the World Tour (or career? I forgot), I'm talking about the ability to select a track, a mode, and a difficulty level, and then race. If you're playing by your lonesome you’re stuck to the track setups they've laid out. Sound absurd? It is. Now, you may have noticed that I'm not too happy with the gameplay anyway, so perhaps I shouldn't be bothered by this. But damnit, they could have at least given to us for crash mode. Want to try to best your high score? Here's how you do it:

Select one of ten difficulties.
Select a track associated with this difficulty (all tracks are not in each difficulty)
Select a game mode from this track/difficulty (all game modes are not in each track/difficulty)

So yeah. Page through about 50 menus to find the combination you’re looking for, and there's a very good chance it doesn't even exist.

Glitches - These are just annoying. There's a very common glitch where, if you’re fighting other cars, you may get pushed through the geometry. You'll fall into an abyss of nothingness for a while, and then get placed back on the track, most likely in last place. Another one in crash mode causes the game to freeze semi-randomly if you opt to retry after you earned a medal. It requires a restart, but it's avoidable.

All this comes down to...

EA Bashing - I try to enjoy games for what they are, but this game just struck me as EA-ized in every way. It's a game that's made to show you a lot of pretty sights with the illusion of challenge, when in fact it's just pushing you through the doors so you can hurry up and buy next year's installment.

For the record, I've got a 100% completion on Burnout Revenge, including golds in every race. Think golds in every race would be implicit with the hundred percent? It's not. I have not played Burnout Revenge online, so consider all my critiques to be on the single player. Burnout Revenge should be better than B3 online, since B3's implementation was horrible, but Revenge just didn't give me the incentive to try it. Maybe someday. I don't have a 100% in Burnout 3, mostly thanks to Signature Takedowns, but it's been played thoroughly.

Believe it or not, there’s more! But I’m tired.

bread's done
Back