Which is the better edition of Army of Darkness?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
Well, though the series is excellent, the Evil Dead series is the perenial multiple version double (or triple or quadruple) dipped movie. There are something like five version per each film. Now I came across recently at a Mom 'n' Shop the Bruce Campbell vs Army of Darkness bootleg edition. I know there is the regular pretty meh/crappy edition, this edition and the book of the dead edition (i think there is one for this one)/LE. of the three, which is the best in terms of quality transfer, sound, and extras. They're all kind of confusing.

There might be even more new editions.

i have a regular version and the boomstick edition. The boomstick is better IMO. I believe they are goign to make a book of the dead edition also so look out for that.

I liked the boomstick edition since it has both version. Thou I really didn't like the director's cut ending. It was pretty lame, I liked the Orignal ending which left it more open for sequals. Infact the ending from the orignal vesion is what the comic book series goes by so I see it as the true ending to the movie.

Boomstick Edition.

Are they really making a Book of the Dead version for Army of Darkness? I have the first two so I'd be very interested in completing my collection

The older LE 2 disc set of AOD also has the original ending and directors cuts... until I find something with ALOT more than this set offered, Ill stick with that one

Love this movie... possibly one of the most quotable movies ever

yeah there is no book of the dead version yet. I got the 1 disc alternative ending version, the only down side is it lack the movie ending, which is a much funnier ending. I'd wait it out till they release a new version.

I used to have the regular old lame-o edition, but I got it autographed by Bruce and gave it to my girlfriend at the time, who was a huge fan. It had two endings on it, so maybe it shouldn't be counted out so quickly.

Also, I have always heard the Boomstick Edition is the better one. Guess I am going to wait for the newer edition before rebuying.

i've got every edition of every evil dead movie, except the new book of the dead edition for evil dead II, because I'm tired of standard definition and I allready have 4 versions of it. Honestly for army of darkness aside from a few different jokes, the theatrical version is the best. Unless you're dying for some new commentary track or enhanced dts track just get the cheapest version you can find. The director's cut is a bit long in the tooth and doesn't have excellent pacing like the theatrical does.

Not that the director's cut doesn't have its merits, its just you don't get classic lines like, "good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." or "hail to the king, baby" or "Hey, she-bitch, come get some."

Wait for the Book of the Dead version. It hasn't been officially announced but I'd guess it'd be out by Halloween 06. If you've got a strong desire to get it, here's the order to get them in:

1. Boomstick Edition
2. Super Rare out of Print Limited Edition
3. Bootleg Edition
4. "Director's Cut"
5. "Special Edition"
6. Bare Bones edition

There will be a special Cabin shaped box that will house all three Book of the Dead versions of all the Evil Dead films.

All I can say is if they have the audacity to release ANOTHER version of Army of Darkness they better clean up the video on the Director's cut because it is absolutely piss poor where new scenes are added. They can't claim it is bad source material because MGM owns the release rights to the film in asia and they released a director's cut version dvd transfer which is much better than the anchorbay release.

Army of Darkness is the kind of movie which doesn't really have a definitive "best" cut unfortunately. Some people prefer the original ending, while others prefer the S-mart ending. Most seem to prefer "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun" in the theatrical to the "I ain't that good" in the Director's cut. I know I miss the "and maybe I'm a chinese jet pilot" line in the Director's cut. I also prefer how they handled the timing of when "The red" entered into the final battle in the theatrical version as opposed to the very late arrival in the director's cut.

Then there are items like the extended "little ash" sequence and the handling of the origin of Evil Ash that doesn't make Ash look like a complete moron :rofl:

It is too bad there isn't a "create your own cut" edition which lets the viewer play around with the key items that vary between the two cuts and build and burn your own prefered version.

I was watching the "best" of Attack of the Show and the had the clip when Bruce Campbell was on the show. he said they are releasing a high definition version of the movie next year. I wasn't sure which movie he was refering to though (ED, ED II or AoD). If you are planning on getting in on the HD Movie craze, you may want to wait a bit and see what happens.

[quote name='guardian_owl']All I can say is if they have the audacity to release ANOTHER version of Army of Darkness they better clean up the video on the Director's cut because it is absolutely piss poor where new scenes are added. They can't claim it is bad source material because MGM owns the release rights to the film in asia and they released a director's cut version dvd transfer which is much better than the anchorbay release.

Army of Darkness is the kind of movie which doesn't really have a definitive "best" cut unfortunately. Some people prefer the original ending, while others prefer the S-mart ending. Most seem to prefer "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun" in the theatrical to the "I ain't that good" in the Director's cut. I know I miss the "and maybe I'm a chinese jet pilot" line in the Director's cut. I also prefer how they handled the timing of when "The red" entered into the final battle in the theatrical version as opposed to the very late arrival in the director's cut.

Then there are items like the extended "little ash" sequence and the handling of the origin of Evil Ash that doesn't make Ash look like a complete moron :rofl:

It is too bad there isn't a "create your own cut" edition which lets the viewer play around with the key items that vary between the two cuts and build and burn your own prefered version.[/QUOTE]

I Know there are some parts of the theatrical which are better( Good Back Im the guy with the gun) and some things in the directors cut which are better (the longer windmill scene) they need to make a half and half edition which takes the best from both, because i think everyone EVERYONE likes Good Bad Im the guy with the gun over I Aint that good.

[quote name='furyk']Wait for the Book of the Dead version. It hasn't been officially announced but I'd guess it'd be out by Halloween 06. If you've got a strong desire to get it, here's the order to get them in:

1. Boomstick Edition
2. Super Rare out of Print Limited Edition
3. Bootleg Edition
4. "Director's Cut"
5. "Special Edition"
6. Bare Bones edition[/QUOTE]

Wow, this was awesome thanks. This was basically what I was after. Perfect list. Guess I'll just pass on it then until the Book of the Dead version comes out and some like Amazon or DDD has a bundle of all three of them, or maybe like someone else posted they will come out with a bundle of all three.

[quote name='guardian_owl']All I can say is if they have the audacity to release ANOTHER version of Army of Darkness they better clean up the video on the Director's cut because it is absolutely piss poor where new scenes are added. They can't claim it is bad source material because MGM owns the release rights to the film in asia and they released a director's cut version dvd transfer which is much better than the anchorbay release.

It is too bad there isn't a "create your own cut" edition which lets the viewer play around with the key items that vary between the two cuts and build and burn your own prefered version.[/QUOTE]

This was an awesome post as well. thanks all to those who responded.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Good lord. Must...own...[/QUOTE]

R3MGMDC-00.25.53.jpg

It's only a model.

[quote name='modium']I've never heard of somebody requesting MORE Evil Dead DVD releases.[/QUOTE]

No, more like a definitive set....until they come out with holographic discs of course.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']No, more like a definitive set....until they come out with holographic discs of course.[/QUOTE]
The last piece missing I would say is a remastered Army of Darkness Director's Cut, as the recent Book of the Dead Edition of Evil Dead 2 improved the video transfer.

[quote name='savestheday888']Pick up the man with the screaming brain while your at it.[/QUOTE]
nah, I'd say I only like about 20-25 of that movie, the rest was pretty boring. If you are going to blind buy something else Bruce Campbell related, pick up Bubba Ho-tep.

If someone is wanting the OOP Boomstick edition and does not mind used, check CAG thread in my sig to find out how to order from CDtradepost, looks like the store in Junction City, KS has the boomstick edition instock for $7.99.

Junction City KS DVD ARMY OF DARKNESS: DIRECTOR'S CUT BO $7.99

Just call 'em up and double check that is the edition of Army of Darkness that they have in stock.

[quote name='savestheday888']Pick up the man with the screaming brain while your at it.[/QUOTE]
I was expecting alot when I heard about it, especially seeing the cover. Thinking it would be a spoof of an old style movie.... it was just a crappy sci fi channel movie with pretty much no laughs...horrible acting (yes I know this is bruce campbell we're talking about here... but there's cheesy ENJOYABLE acting, and cheesy HORRIBLE acting.), just let down aloooot.

I have the uber-rare LE edition, by accident no less. I bought it years ago, around the time it first came out. A year or two later, a friend of mine tells me he's been looking for that version everywhere but can't find it. So I start paying attention & trying to look for it for him, and I can't find it either. Soon after we figure out it's apparently hard-to-find. :p

It's a 2-disk version, has both the theatrical & director's cut (one on each disk) and lots of extras. If I'm not mistaken, they made another version that was more-or-less a reprint of this one, but I don't know if that's the Boomstick edition or what. I know I'm perfectly satisfied w/ the one I have.

Heh, I just noticed it's actually numbered - looks like there were 30k of this version made.

bread's done
Back