Which MP3 player to get?

Psykodelik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I got a $200 GC for Best Buy this week and I'm thinking about getting a MP3 player. The problem is that I don't know which one to get.

I thinking of these:

Iriverh10 $240 20GB Sold out online but the store by my work has 4 of them. I heard this has better sound quality but it's a 20gig...only thing holding me back. Plus it's like the older gen Ipods (size)

Video Ipod $299 30GB Eventhough it's nice to have, video is not my main concern.

Philips-GoGear $280 30GB Dunno, looks nice and is in the price range.

I know there are more/better MP3 players out there but I can only get whats available at BB. Opinions/thoughts on either would be greatly appreciated. I'm also aware of the Creative zen vision, but I don't know if or when BB will get it.

I've owned 3 generations of mp3 players. I had a Diamond Rio 64mb, a Dell DJ 15GB and an Apple iPod mini 5GB. I think the iTunes / iPod experience is pretty slick and polished and hard to beat for ease of use and reliability. Yes, content bought on iTunes is hard to export, but really, how often are you going to take it to another player. I just make sure that anything I rip is done to MP3.

My only regret is that I can't sync my iPod to other computers w/o wiping it, but I think there are some hacked drivers that will let you do it.

The big sacrifice of the iPod is that you can't import DRM'ed WMA files from any of the music stores that use that format. You can however import/convert unprotected WMA to MP3.

If I had to make a second choice other than a new 30 or 60 gb iPod right now, I'd look at the Creative Zen Vision because they support Xvid and DivX video compression, and I have my computer set up to record TV to that format.

get the iiver h10. It is an all around better player than any ipod imo. You can use it as an external hard drive to transport data, can you do that with an ipod? no. Also, you can unlock the mp3 player and play video on the h10 by finding the singapore firmware I believe? Worked for me without a hitch.

I love my iPod but I would not get the video one. They are releasing a "true" iPod video as early as April with a large 16:9 screen - I'm waiting for that one before I upgrade from my iPod photo.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Get something compatable with Atrac, you can fit a lot more songs in the same space without sacrificing quality.[/quote]

Know of any MP3 players that can play Atrac?

[quote name='Psykodelik']Know of any MP3 players that can play Atrac?[/QUOTE]

I think Sony MP3 players are the only ones that support ATRAC... since ATRAC is a Sony priority format. I had that in my minidisc and besides a few tracks I had to re-encode due to a popping noise (they were fine after I re-encoded), I have to say that it's a damn good format.

There's just two problems:
1. I don't think Sony makes HDD based players (ie, iPod, Zen, etc.), only flash players (meaning around 1GB of data capacity).
2. SonicStage, the software Sony uses, blows.

Even though an iPod video is nice, I'd go for something else if you're not planning on watching video. The Zen is pretty nice...

Creative Vision:M

Pros: (compared to 5G ipod)
Support for several video formats
Built in FM radio
Built in voice recorder

Cons
Thicker case
Prone to scratches (but not as much as 5G ipod)
Fewer accessories

I found this site http://www.dapreview.net/news.php very helpful when deciding what digital audio player to buy.

Yeah, the Vision is nice but it's not currently being offered at BB. However, I read on Creative's site that it should be available at beginning of March. Some people said it's available at some stores and if anyone can please confirm this is true? If they are in BB's stores any in the LA/OC county, which store so I could pick it up this weekend?

Again, if there are any other's not listed and could be available in BB I would appreciate it.

basketcase - I was leaning towards the iriver until I found out about the vision being in BB in March. If it was a 30gb version then I would've gotten it in an instant. But it's still one of the items to get.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Get something compatable with Atrac, you can fit a lot more songs in the same space without sacrificing quality.[/QUOTE]

Are you a Sony rep? :) IMO this is pretty silly advice... 1) most people looking at 20-30GB mp3 players, even if they DO have all the original CDs for the music (how many can say that?) aren't going to want to re-rip all their music from the CD (especially to a proprietary format like ATRAC that can't really be used anywhere but a sony player) 2) Sony has made 20GB players that play ATRAC in the past, but I don't think they do anymore (and thus cannot be purchased at Best Buy), 3) The Sony software is horrible, and 4) ATRAC really isn't much better than mp3 in sound quality (if it's at all better), and fails horribly in convienence and compatibility.

I doubt anywhere still sells em, but you may be able to hit one on ebay: the Sony VAIO Pocket.

Pros: Cheap price, color screen, 24ish hour battery life, 40 gigs.
Cons: Never really goes off, only in standby, theres a little bit of lag, Sonicstage software is a bit of a pain, and it freezes up a bit.

Was good for me at 200 though.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']get the iiver h10. It is an all around better player than any ipod imo. You can use it as an external hard drive to transport data, can you do that with an ipod? no. .[/QUOTE]

Uh yes you can.

Atrac is an awesome format. I've loved my past 2 Sony Atrac MP3/CD players. Held hundreds and hundreds of songs on one CD, but that's not what your looking for, but I had to say I love the format, hate the SonicStage.

Anyways, I think the Phillips one looks awesome, maybe it's just the pic, but it does look sweet. I would say though that the iPod is probably one of the best bets if your going to spend around $300. Just a good realiable player.

I'am also on the verge of buying a new mp3 player but don't like ipods, just fyi. From my research Vision:m or the upcoming Toshiba Gigabeat S (I'm probably going to buy this one) are the best competition for the ipod. List was most important to you (long battery, screen, thinnest, easy software, etc.). I'm sure it will be easier to determine what's best for you. I personally like the Gigabeat because it's almost as thin as the ipod, comes with cradle, good software but has not came out set so I could be wrong. Aslo if you're not restricted to BB you can order an ipod from apple if a student for less and crutchfield.com has a $50 off of $250 (code PA440 at checkout) or more so you can get a vision:m for $275 shipped or Gigabeat S for $250 shipped assuming they have it when it releases.

Yeah, I read up on the gigabeat s. It does look interesting and I'm waiting for the reviews on that one as well. I forgot, but does gigabeat support gapless playback? I don't think CVM does though.

I forgot about the student discount thing. But that would be my last resort. I really hope the gigabeat s or CVM releases soon (from BB). I can't stand studying w/o music and I don't want to bring my PSP or else I'll play rather than study.

I say.. iPod. The iPod / iTunes experience cannot be beat. It's well established and ..well there must be a reason everyone loves them, no?

From my understanding..ipod sound quality does not compare to iriver and creative's sound quality. You can only use Itunes to put your music in ipod (aware of other means to get around it).

The only thing that ipod is still around (my opinion) is it's ease of use and large selection of accessories.

Not sure about the gapless playback since little specs have been released on the player but the basics. Have you considered the Cowon X5 or X5L? Also I wouldn't be restricted to BB since you can probably sell the credit for price or close to on ebay.

I would suggest a regular cd portable that plays DVD's. Seriously what is more convient than swapping out 8 gig. discs possibly 16 gig. dual layered. With two you're almost hitting the 40 gig. mark anyway and it costs you a LOT less than an iPod or any of these players.

[quote name='Sarang01']I would suggest a regular cd portable that plays DVD's. Seriously what is more convient than swapping out 8 gig. discs possibly 16 gig. dual layered. With two you're almost hitting the 40 gig. mark anyway and it costs you a LOT less than an iPod or any of these players.[/quote]

That would be a good option, however from owning various CD players..the size can't compare to a MP3 player.

scd - I've thought about that and it might be my other option. I wanted to stick with BB because I'll be able to put on RZ points.

Just so many MP3 players coming out soon and it's tought to decide on which to get.

I'm also preparing to get a new mp3 player, been doing some research and I think the iRiver h10 is good for its price. 20 gigs and a bunch of additional features. So far the biggest problem I've seen with this player was mainly with transfers, but it's easily resolvable if you know what you're doing. I also looked into a couple of Creative brand mp3 players but those seem to be notorious for faulty headphone jacks. I'm leaning toward the h10 but would like to hear other opinions as well.

I read on DAP the h10 is good but the firmware isn't that great. But there is supposed to be a new firmware soon. I think they also said the h10 series will stop being produced and a new model is coming out.

I've narrowed it down to 2 brands for myself and it's the Creative Vision:M or Toshiba Gigabeat S. I'm just waiting for the reviews on the gigabeat s. Funny how I thought I didn't mind the video, but after reading they support divx, I like it.

bread's done
Back