Which of the following channels did you grow up watching?

Vhehs2

Banned
-PBS Kids
-Nickelodeon/Nick Jr./Nicktoons/TeenNick
-Cartoon Network/Toonami/Adult Swim/Boomerang
-Disney Channel/Toon Disney/Disney XD

I didn't get any of that stuff. Grew up in the middle of nowhere in WV. Got crappy cable from a local company owned by 1 guy. Was only 13 channels. Pretty much just the networks, PBS, TBS etc. So all the cartoons I got where stuff like GI Joe and the Flintstones and the Saturday morning cartoons. Of course I'm not even sure what cartoon networks were around back in the early to mid-80s anyway (was born in '78).

But the time I was in my early teens it was up to 30 some channels so at least got ESPN etc., but still none of the cartoon networks--not that I cared about them by that age.

Man unless you're being very generous with "grow up watching" half that shit didn't even exist when I was growing up. And I'm not even that old.

I watched Nick and Cartoon Network. Before we got a satellite dish - ya know, a huge one, like back in the day - is was just regular TV, which I guess was when I was like 7 or 8 or something.

[quote name='madcyantist']Nickolodeon with Snick on Friday Nights booo yahh !![/QUOTE]

this.

along with general non cable channels and their afternoon/saturday morning cartoons.

man there was nothing better than after school and saturday morning toons. usa channel had sweet weekend toons as well.

Nickelodeon was on my TV 24/7 when I was kid, I loved every show. It's amazing how crappy it is now, you just don't get quality kid's shows anymore.

I know I'm going to sound like any other person reminiscing about the past -- but cartoons really were a lot higher quality 10 years ago. All nostalgia aside, it really was just plain better.

Spongebob is the only great show to come out on Nick since then. There were some terrible shows on Nick back then too (i.e. Inspector Gadget), but by and large there were a lot better programs on back then in comparison.

Cartoon Network had Toonami, and then crap like Ed Edd and Eddy came out and everything just went straight to the gutter.

Even Toon Disney was great. Gargoyles anyone? That show was incredibly deep for a kids show.

Nick, Cartoon Network, Fox Kids (Digimon!!!! :D!!!!), Kids WB (Pokemon!!!! :D!!!!), and The Family Channel/Fox Family/ABC Family (Monster Rancher!!!! :D!!!!)

PBS: Reading Rainbow, Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, Keeping Up Appearances, Fawlty Towers
CBS: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
ABC: Winnie the Pooh
FOX: X-Men, Spiderman, Life with Louie, Power Rangers
Nick: Doug, Rugrats, All That, Kenan and Kel, Looney Toons, Hey Arnold, etc
Cartoon Network: Dexter's Laboratory, Looney Toons, Jetsons, Flintstones, Johnny Quest, etc
Nick at Nite: I Love Lucy, Get Smart, I Dream of Jeannie, Beverly Hillbillies, The Bob Newhart Show
USA Network: Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Mega Man

Fox had a really great set of super hero shows growing up, it was so great. Beetleborgs, and the first seasons of Power Rangers, Spiderman ... I cry for today's kids watching whatever unoriginal Power Rangers episodes they're churning out these days. What is it now, Time Force or something like that?

Actually, on looking it up, the current series is called RPM, and it seems to have a Terminator Skynet type plot. Actually seems interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Rangers:_RPM

I've never heard of most of those. When I was a kid we all watched cartoons on the local networks after school (they showed cartoons on the main network channels back then). It was great because you didn't need cable. There were tons of great shows that were a lot better than stuff that came out in the mid 90s up through today. I don't think it's nostalgia either, maybe a little, but stuff since the mid 90s on is really terrible for the most part, except movies I guess. There's still quality stuff when I say for the most part, just 80% of stuff is crap since then.

^Yeah, mostly local cartoons for me as well. A lot of that stuff didn't exist yet when I was a kid, although I do remember watching Nick occasionally.

Shit, I almost forgot about Toonami. I remember they launched that when I was around 13 or so. I loved watching Thundercats, Voltron, Dragon Ball Z, Johnny Quest etc.

Nickeloden, PBS and Disney.

What ever happened to Saturday morning cartoons? I look in the TV guide and theres nothing. When I was a kid, that was a big deal and every network did it. (Born in '76)

Just PBS Kids. Didn't have cable when I was a kid. Occasionally watched cable cartoons at friends houses.

Sorry guys, I'm too young too realize that USA had cartoon programming in the form of USA Cartoon Express. Nowadays, it's all drama and comedy. And I'm not allowed to edit the poll options.

Watched A LOT of HBO as a child... we had HBO from the time they werent even a 24 hr a day channel...
Props to USA cartoon express as well, loved Pac Man, Flinstones cartoons
Watched my share of Nick from the earliest days of Pinwheel, You Cant do that on television, and Out of Control
Loved music videos, they were such a new thing that HBO, Nick would have video shows in addition to MTV

Most of my watching was regular tv channel cartoons GI Joe, He Man, M.A.S.K. (how come NOBODY remembers this awesome show), Tom and jerry. Woody Woodpecker, Heathcliff, Little Rascals shorts...

Nickelodeon was my thing for sure. Disney Channel was a pay channel till I was a teenager, and Nick Jr. was part of the same channel back then. Nicktoons started when I was about 10- the Nicktoons shows, that is, not the channel- and there were none of the Disney variants, either. I think Cartoon Network was part of the premium/pay channel package then, too.

Man, I feel old, and I'm only talking about the mid-90's!

[quote name='manthing']Nobody's mentioned weekday Bozo the Clown?

:nottalking:

God damn babies...[/QUOTE]

that was a great show until they replaced bozos, got shitty prizes and got rid of the full band and replaced them with that annoying douchebag with a sythesizer. damn i alway wanted to do that grand prize game.....

[quote name='zman73']M.A.S.K. (how come NOBODY remembers this awesome show), Tom and jerry. Woody Woodpecker, Heathcliff, Little Rascals shorts...[/QUOTE]

I remember Mask. I even remember having the toys. Very tiny little four inch figures with transforming cars.

I had cable most of my life so I watched a lot of Nick and HBO. I watched Fraggle Rock and the Muppet Show were some of my favorites growing up.

[quote name='life.exe']Nickelodeon in the 90's was awesome.[/QUOTE]

Doug, Rugrats, Rocko, and Ahhh!!! Real Monsters are all on Netflix instant streaming, just so everyone knows!

I was on Nick all the time, though even as a little kid I was onto them constantly showing re runs and was unimpressed with watching two of the same Spongbob Squarepants every week.

[quote name='Matt Young']Doug, Rugrats, Rocko, and Ahhh!!! Real Monsters are all on Netflix instant streaming, just so everyone knows![/QUOTE]

Oh man, I used to LOVE the Rugrats.:bomb::bomb::bomb: Doug was up there too.

[quote name='Fjordson']Shit, I almost forgot about Toonami. I remember they launched that when I was around 13 or so. I loved watching Thundercats, Voltron, Dragon Ball Z, Johnny Quest etc.[/QUOTE]

Thunder thunder thunder thunder CATS!

P.S. Anyone remember "BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL!!!!!!"?

Robotech, Voltron, Thundercats, G.I. Joe, He-Man, Transformers, Super Friends, The Jetsons, The Flintstones, Mighty Mouse and Popeye (Sunday afternoons on channel 5 in LA). Just to name a few and all on network TV.

Let's see -- none of the poll options as they didn't exist (well, PBS, but it wasn't segmented into kids/not-kids) -- so:

• TV Ontario in the mornings if there was nothing else on.
  • CFTO during summer vacation to see Price is Right, followed by The Flintstones and The Uncle Bobby Show and then Definition.
  • Switch between TVO and PBS during the afternoon doldrums.
  • Starting around 3 switch to WUTV (Buffalo 29 -- now Fox 29) to watch the cartoon block with Pink Panther and Friends, Harveytoons/Terrytoons (Casper the Friendly Ghost, Heckle and Jeckle, Mighty Mouse), Challenge of the Superfriends, The Tom and Jerry Show
  • At about 4:30, switch over to Global TV to see He-Man, M.A.S.K.,Transformers, GI Joe and Silverhawks.
  • Later in the evening, if I could get away with it, watch Bizarre and The Benny Hill Show (with boobies!) on WUTV.
  • As I got older, the morning would be all WUTV, watching Gilligan's Island, I Dream of Jeanie, Bewitched and The Great Space Coaster.
  • Saturday nights would be TV Ontario to watch The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau (then, as I got older, the NBC block with Golden Girls, etc.)
  • Sunday nights was Star Trek on CityTV, followed by The Road Runner Show as I ate dinner.

And Saturday mornings?

satabc1980.jpg

satcbs1980.jpg

sat20addd.jpg

satabc1983.jpg

satnbc1983b.jpg

satnbc1280.jpg

i guess none of you remember those odd UA cartoons. the ant and the aardvark, the shark the pink panther? i always loved the sound effects in those.

[quote name='Matt Young']Nickelodeon was my thing for sure. Disney Channel was a pay channel till I was a teenager, and Nick Jr. was part of the same channel back then. Nicktoons started when I was about 10- the Nicktoons shows, that is, not the channel- and there were none of the Disney variants, either. I think Cartoon Network was part of the premium/pay channel package then, too.

Man, I feel old, and I'm only talking about the mid-90's![/QUOTE]

No don't worry so much. I know my choice variants were much more extensive than required. Nick Jr. is still a block on Nickelodeon. It is also a channel but you don't get it unless you have one of those cable packages with like 300 channels. Same goes for Nicktoons and Boomerang. I mentioned Adult Swim, but that's obviously a shared channel with Cartoon Network.

Nick, USA Cartoon Network, TBS, FOX and all the Saturday morning stuff.

Some shows I used to watch:

Nick:
Double Dare
Hey Dude
Salute Your Shorts
Guts
You can't do that on television
Legends of the Hidden Temple
Doug
Rugrats
Are You Afraid of the Dark?
Count Duckula
Underdog
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Yogi The Bear
etc

All old Hanna Barbarra ones like Grape Ape, Hong Kong Fuey, Quickdraw Mcdraw, Snagglepuss, etc.
Looney Tunes
The Animaniacs
Captain N The Gamemaster
X-Men
Spiderman
The Adventures of Tin Tin
The Young Indiana Jones
Ducktales
Transformers
GI Joe
He-Man
The Real Ghostbusters
Camp Candy
The Sports superstar one with Bo Jackson, Michael Jordan, Joe Montana and Gretzky.
Fraggle Rock
Voltron
Thundercats
The Smurfs
The Muppet's Show
Mighty Mouse
etc etc etc

Nickelodeon, when Rugrats still had new episodes, before they had movies and spinoff series... when Ren and Stimpy was still on the air... I remember when Rockos Modern Life was a new show, and it was awesome.

Some station had a Super Mario Bros. cartoon on, watched it sometimes. I remember a Sonic and Megaman cartoon as well...

Lot's of Saturday morning cartoons on various non-cable stations, not sure what stations... stuff like Animaniacs/Pinky and the Brain.

Oh, and the Xmen cartoon, a Spiderman one...

Double Dare takes me back. I remember Legends of the Hidden Temple as well on Nick.

I loved Spider Man though, that could have been my favorite of the 'toons.

bread's done
Back