Which old school console is a must have?

you can't sit around in front of nes for very long without wizardry or bards tale or something. snes has more rpg's and arcade ports. all the final fight beat'm ups, streetfighters,MK, plus rpg's like ff3 which is a good long game. nes has mario (already all-stared) dragon warrior ,ff, wazardry, bards tale, everything else is so-so.

I'm still buying a nex i just didn't have the dough for the last pre-order

Is it just me, or have you not got the Saturn in there? Or did you mean that when you put "Dreamcast"?

Dreamcast, because it can emulate all of the consoles you have up there except the N64. ;) The SNES would run a little slow, but if you're handy with electronics you can overclock it and SNES will run perfectly. If you don't want to emulate, I'd only get the Dreamcast if a lack of RPGs won't bother you, since there's only a handful compared to the multitudes of shmups and fighting games.

N64 is the best. Perfect Dark is the best FPS ever, IMO. Conker is fantastic and superior to it's XBOX remake/sequal. And Goldeneye is great as well.

SNES is great as well, but most of the best games (Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country) are now on GBA, except for Mario RPG (best RPG ever) and Kirby Superstar.
Genesis is also great but mainly just because of Sonic & Comix Zone (both of which are now in the Sonic Mega Collection Plus), though World of Illusion & Toejam & Earl 2 are great exclusives.

Ok, first off: Dreamcast is not old school. It is current gen. It just died quickly. Secondly, you are missing quite a few very nice choices there- 3do, Saturn, Neo Geo, and Turboduo among others. Personally, my favorite console (other than the xbox) is still the turboduo. Extremely overlooked system with many wonderful games. Granted most of them are not cheap now, but it's still the best of the best. Saturn is a very good choice as well. However, if you omited these on purpose... From what you listed I would say N64. I didn't really like it at the time (due to the choice of format), but if you've not played mario 64, among several others, you really should. Also most of the good games are really cheap on it, unlike some of the other systems.

Many of SNES's best games have been ported to GBA, but it's still worth having one around, if only for Super Metroid.

Dreamcast and N64 are old school?.....did i fall asleep for 20yrs?
I would say NES. 2600 could be good but you'd prob. get bored with it quick.

I just can't see dreamcast being old school. Its just the lowest current console available in retail.

I probably play my saturn more than anything else.

Some consoles have been left out due to the fact that I didn't want them there. The ones I listed were ones I had memorable experiences with in the past. I just wanted to know which one I wanted to keep and build up its library for my basement.

Also, DC is not old school but more along the lines of the past.

i never had a DC.. although it has some good games.. and can emulate alright. most of the good games for the DC are on current gen systems. and what isn't you're not missing much. (i mean is anyone truely a Typing of the Dead freak?)

as for me (this is my actual set up) .. I would have my gamecube with a gameboy player (doubles as a NES/SNES to save space) my PS2 for DVD/ RPGs and generally cheaper (but graphically inferior ) games but also has the ability to play PSone games so saves more space. the XBOX for multiplayer bouts ( mean with friends over, Halo, Halo 2, Fuzion Frenzy, any sports game i better make mention of Crimson Skies and of course Live) I really think thats the ideal set up, if you are itching for some Atari games there are plenty of compilations for cheap that will get you most of the games of interest. Gameboy games are easily available and save for some RPGs and obscure/not quite overbearing popular titles you can get whatever SNES or NES game you want. only downside no 2 player games.

but if you want to emulate.. put a DC there.. it is just as deserving as anything else.

bread's done
Back