Which PS3 Should I Buy?

[quote name='Chrisr291']Amazon has them in stock, free shipping... save the tax money[/QUOTE]

Unless he happens to live somewhere that Amazon charges tax for, like me.

Definitely go new- there's so much crap the goes wrong with the current bunch of systems, it's not worth the savings. Plus, I guarantee you'll want a bigger HD on your PS3 than you think. It updates a lot. I've only had my 80gb about a year and a half, and I'm currently using 22gb. (This is compared to 12gb on my Xbox, which I've had a year longer, and own twice as many games for.) Do yourself a favor and get the extra memory up front, it's easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've actually bought 2 used systems this gen, a PS3 and Wii, and both ran amazing until I was bored and sold them. Now, on the other hand, of the 4-5 360's I've owned, I have not and will not ever buy a used one, period.

To the OP the bigger question is do you want a Slim or a Phat , Hard Drive size means nothing as on Sony's site gives you instructions on upgrading the HDD to a larger size.

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']To the OP the bigger question is do you want a Slim or a Phat , Hard Drive size means nothing as on Sony's site gives you instructions on upgrading the HDD to a larger size.[/QUOTE]

HD size matters. Yes, you can upgrade, and you're not bound to a specific PS3 line so yo have many, many size options. You still have to spend extra to get a new drive, make sure you get one compatible with a PS3, backup your current drive, bust out the screwdrivers to make the switch (being careful not to strip the screws, which I understand is easy to do), then reassemable the whole thing, install your backup, and hope it worked OK.

That's an awful lot of work when you can just spend andother $50 to get a system with another 40gb from the get-go.

Unless he just really, really hates the look of the slim, I don't see much reason to get the phat. (and I do prefer the look of the phat.)

Why the fuck would you want to support Gameslop?

Definitely buy new unless there is a lot of money to be saved. If you were talking about buying the 80 from a trusted friend for $200 and they were throwing in an extra controller and/or a few games. Then you should consider it. Its not just the system . . . who wants a used controller if they can have a new one?

i would go with what schultzed says... i really wouldnt trust the refurb models. just go with a brand new one and a bigger hard drive.

It solely depend on which model 80gb it is. If it's just the regular 80 gig model, then what the heck are you thinking?! Go with the slim. If it's the 80gb models as included with the MGS4 bundle, like I have, then it's worth it. The HDD can be upgraded easily plus the backwards compatibility, extra USB slots & SD/MS/CF memory card slots make it a great system if you're into those sort of things and have a PS2 games collection.

[quote name='Mixer236']If it's the 80gb models as included with the MGS4 bundle, like I have, then it's worth it. [/QUOTE]

Good point . . . but you'd still be buying from Gameslop.

[quote name='imamanwithaplan']So, my gamestop has an 80gb used ps3 in stock for $250 and my Target has a new 120gb Ps3 in stock. is it worth the extra $50 to get a new PS3?[/QUOTE]

Get neither. Buy a 60gb with PS2/PS1 compatibility.

[quote name='CheepGamez']Get neither. Buy a 60gb with PS2/PS1 compatibility.[/QUOTE]

All the PS3s have PS1 backwards compatibility, it's the newer ones that don't support PS2 compatibility.

bread's done
Back