Which PS3 To Buy? 3 options

MotzCTG

CAGiversary!
Alright so I am finally breaking down and buying a Wall-e Blu-Ray Player aka PS3. I have 3 options though because Sony like to have 8000 skus. I have gotten a few opinions already, but here is a bit of what I will be doing.

PS3, mainly blu-ray player and downloadable PSN game. I already have a 360 and Wii, so most multi-platform games I will play on 360.

I have a ps2 sitting around, but I don't think I will playing much if any ps2 games on it. I have only played 1 xbox game on my 360.

My options:
80gig MGS4(has 4 usb + sdcard) bundle $500
80gig current model $400
160gig Nov. model (with drake + pain) $500

I'll be getting at GS, since I have like 200$ in credit.

What you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you rather have DRAKE or MGS4? The hard drive is EASILY upgradeable also. If you want NO games, I would save $100 and get the 80GB model.

MGS4 is not worth $100, so I would pass on that. Same with Drake and Pain. You can buy a 320GB HDD for around $100 also.

I have a 60GB also and I never play PS2 games on it. I would love to sell it if it still was in high demand, but I don't think it is.

The MGS bundle also has Pain. If you care about BC get that, if not I would save the hundred and get the $400 80 gb model. I have an original 60 and rarely play ps2 games on it.

According to videogamepricecharts.com, a brand new copy of Metal Gear Solid 4 is worth $43. So you have to decide whether PS2 backwards compatibility is worth $57 to you. It sounds like it's not, so I'd recommend the plain-jane 80GB.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']80GB current model is the best deal IMO. IMO, just don't bother with PS2 BC and for what you get at $400 is the best deal.[/quote]

This.

[quote name='doubledown']Would you rather have DRAKE or MGS4? The hard drive is EASILY upgradeable also. If you want NO games, I would save $100 and get the 80GB model.

MGS4 is not worth $100, so I would pass on that. Same with Drake and Pain. You can buy a 320GB HDD for around $100 also.

I have a 60GB also and I never play PS2 games on it. I would love to sell it if it still was in high demand, but I don't think it is.[/quote]

If Sony's actual warranty covered secondary buyers of used systems and it was longer(as in even MS RROD 3 year warranty longer), I might actually consider snapping up a used 60gb. But with used consoles, you take a chance that they may last a year and then die.

I already have a 40 gb standalone though and close to zero interest in playing PS2 games, but I would like an all in one console so I could sell my new/sealed PStwo even cheaper.

I'd just go with the 80 gb standalone console OP, since the prices of the games they are giving with the other consoles are just bound to go down in price due to sales/clearances and you can upgrade your own hard drive cheaper than Sony could provide the larger one.

The 80GB model core is also the latest design, which has 65nm cell and 65nm RSX. The only reason I tell someone to get a MGS4 bundle is if they are dying to play some PS2 games and want to play PS3 games (where they may have never owned a PS2). But outside of that, once you play PS3 games on an HDTV, it's very hard to go back.

Early on, I used my PS2 BC a lot. Now, I rarely use it.

Mana, so it is true that it has the 65nm chip in it, that seems like it would be better, especially for folding@home.

Hey Motz, I thought you had a PS3 already? Anyways yeah I'd go for 80 gig core pack.. Does anyone know about the rumor that the Little Big Planet Bundle is coming here too or is it just the UK?

PS: Motz are you guys gonna port Shred Nebula to PSN eventually? :)

[quote name='MotzCTG']Mana, so it is true that it has the 65nm chip in it, that seems like it would be better, especially for folding@home.[/QUOTE]We are all thinking that's the case because it was written down (or tested) that is used less power.

The 80GB MGS4 (or MotorStorm) is also the loudest PS3 SKU out of them all.

This is what I heard was the power consumption between the SKUs

Looks like the 80GB Core PS3 may be more energy efficient than ever. A user at the Slickdeals forum connected his brand new 80GB Core system to a Kill-a-watt and discovered a slight energy savings. For example, the 40GB model used 155.2 watts when playing MGS4 -- the 80GB model used only 130 watts. The 40GB used 125.8 watts when idle on the XMB, while the 80GB used 111.9 watts. The popular theory is that Sony has secretly switched to new 65nm RSX chips: these are cheaper to manufacture, and are considered more reliable. Sony has not yet responded to these claims, but we wouldn't be surprised if each new SKU introduces new savings for the costly PS3 manufacturing process.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/08/25/80gb-core-model-draws-less-energy-than-40gb/

Here's a better comparison:
PS3 Model
XMB Idle
DVD Playback
MGS4 Gameplay

80GB Core
111.9W
126W
130W

40GB Core
125.8W
141.2W
155.2W

80GB MGS4 Bundle
180W
197W
200W

[quote name='The Mana Knight']But outside of that, once you play PS3 games on an HDTV, it's very hard to go back.[/quote]

That's not true for everybody, since I play PS3 games on my one buddies' families' HDtv(32-37" or so) with their 40 gb PS3 and I still come home to my 20" SDtv and I have no problems going 'this is still fun'. Pretty picture=/= a good game, so every company going for pretty over actually being fun/good to play needs to go out of business, since they're focusing on superficial shit over substance.

[quote name='Chase']I can hardly wait to get the present 80GB SKU next week. Then, I can join in the fun. x][/quote] You already have a PS3, don't you(since you have a PSN name)? So why get some new one?

What's so good about 2 extra usb slots? And are the newer PS3 models harder to upgrade the hard drive than older models?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's not true for everybody, since I play PS3 games on my one buddies' families' HDtv(32-37" or so) with their 40 gb PS3 and I still come home to my 20" SDtv and I have no problems going 'this is still fun'. Pretty picture=/= a good game, so every company going for pretty over actually being fun/good to play needs to go out of business, since they're focusing on superficial shit over substance.[/QUOTE]Some games it's not an issues on an SDTV. Some games are pratically un-playable on an SDTV due to tiny text, too tiny picture (looking at The Last Guy), and some games picture is kind of smashed (looking at MotorStorm). Yeah I know the gameplay is still important, but playing HD is just so much better and makes things really great IMO.

[quote name='bullsrfive']What's so good about 2 extra usb slots? And are the newer PS3 models harder to upgrade the hard drive than older models?[/QUOTE]All PS3 SKUs are easy to upgrade the HDD.

And like I said to the OP, unless someone desperately wants PS2 BC (and I mean desperately), just go with 80GB core (having a lowered power PS3 (and much quieter) is a HUGE plus in so many ways).

Btw OP, getting less power is good because it will definitely save on your power bill a little.

the main reason people are voting for the 80gb MGS4 is because of the PS2 compatibility. You have a PS2 already so you don't need that. Save yourself some money and get the $400 80gb model and buy MGS4 separately. so go with the choice you already made, the 80gb core

also I am quite sure the 40gb has the 65nm chip in it too... ^^

I would say 80 GB, are you sure that a 160 GB is coming out?? I've heard rumours but...nothing seemed to seem legit.

[quote name='Xrazor']I would say 80 GB, are you sure that a 160 GB is coming out?? I've heard rumours but...nothing seemed to seem legit.[/quote]
Huh? Theres been a officially announced Uncharted pack-in 160 GB PS3 for a while now.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']
also I am quite sure the 40gb has the 65nm chip in it too... ^^[/QUOTE]It has the 65nm cell, not the 65nm RSX also.
[quote name='Oktoberfest']the main reason people are voting for the 80gb MGS4 is because of the PS2 compatibility. You have a PS2 already so you don't need that. Save yourself some money and get the $400 80gb model and buy MGS4 separately. so go with the choice you already made, the 80gb core

also I am quite sure the 40gb has the 65nm chip in it too... ^^[/QUOTE]Pretty much. I read what the OP said exactly. And based on his needs, buying an 80GB core would be the best option IMO. I actually can't wait to buy a non-PS2 BC PS3 console.

id say get the mgs4 bundle. from what ive read the newer 80gb bundle is missing some of the bells and whistles like usb ports, bc, and a few oher things. but with each person you ask depending on when they bought their system youre going to get a diff awnser.

had you asked a year or 2 ago everyone would tell you get a 60gb model since it has true bc. after that one the 20gb was the way to go. just think about what it is youre getting a ps3 for and if you have a ps2 do you want to have to keep switiching systems to play your old games or do you even have ps2 games and if you dont would you want to ? i got the mgs4 bundle because at the time it was the best deal you could ask for since it came with a dual shock 3 controller ( which at the time wasnt bundled with systems) and a game. a few months before they were selling an 80gb ps3 with the old six axis and no game for the same price.

just figure out what you want it for and the rest will work out for you.

[quote name='lokizz']id say get the mgs4 bundle. from what ive read the newer 80gb bundle is missing some of the bells and whistles like usb ports, bc, and a few oher things. but with each person you ask depending on when they bought their system youre going to get a diff awnser.

had you asked a year or 2 ago everyone would tell you get a 60gb model since it has true bc. after that one the 20gb was the way to go. just think about what it is youre getting a ps3 for and if you have a ps2 do you want to have to keep switiching systems to play your old games or do you even have ps2 games and if you dont would you want to ? i got the mgs4 bundle because at the time it was the best deal you could ask for since it came with a dual shock 3 controller ( which at the time wasnt bundled with systems) and a game. a few months before they were selling an 80gb ps3 with the old six axis and no game for the same price.

just figure out what you want it for and the rest will work out for you.[/QUOTE]He said he doesn't really care to really play the PS2. If you don't, then don't bother. Card readers are really not needed at all, and two USB ports is enough (plus USB hubs are cheap). I still highly recommend the 80GB core since it's still technically a later design (80GB design is older and uses a lot of power). The 80GB core still plays PS1 games.

Actually, there was an 80GB bundle before MGS4, but it contained MotorStorm.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']the main reason people are voting for the 80gb MGS4 is because of the PS2 compatibility. You have a PS2 already so you don't need that. Save yourself some money and get the $400 80gb model and buy MGS4 separately. so go with the choice you already made, the 80gb core

also I am quite sure the 40gb has the 65nm chip in it too... ^^[/quote]

Some of the newer 40gb's before they canned that SKU had the one chip switched over to the 65nm chip, but I checked and mine had the 90's in it I believe.

I found a listing of every PS3 model ever the other night, but I don't remember what site it was from or I'd link to it.

As far as tiny text goes though, Mana, I'm glad I don't seem to have any of the games thus far with that problem. Admittedly though, GTA IV is a pita to see what's on the map in online multi without sitting closer to the tv.

But I've always played my games like that, so it's no big switch for me.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']He said he doesn't really care to really play the PS2. If you don't, then don't bother. Card readers are really not needed at all, and two USB ports is enough (plus USB hubs are cheap). I still highly recommend the 80GB core since it's still technically a later design (80GB design is older and uses a lot of power). The 80GB core still plays PS1 games.

Actually, there was an 80GB bundle before MGS4, but it contained MotorStorm.[/quote]

is it posible to port over ps2 game saves using the card slots in the ps3?

[quote name='lokizz']is it posible to port over ps2 game saves using the card slots in the ps3?[/quote]

You need the memory card adapter, if you're planning on doing them from a PS2 card. But if you're downloading them from the net someplace, then I think you can do it via a USB flash drive or flash memory card.

If you're doing it from the PS2 memory cards though, they do have that card adapter that you can plug into the system via the provided USB cable(that you use to charge controllers). It WAS $1.50 @ Kmart last month, but it's out of the system now.

There's actually a sharing thread for the adapter on CAG someplace, where people who only need to use it to transfer saves can post and hopefully get sent one to use and pass on.

Thought I'd just resurrect this thread, rather than post my own. I have a similar question to the OP regarding the 3 PS3 models currently available. However, my main questions pertain to playing PS2 games on the PS3, as I plan to continue playing PS2 games for awhile

Is there any compelling reason to play PS2 games on the PS3 if you already have a PS2 (I have a slim PS2)? For example, does the upscaling really make the games look nicer? (I have played GOW2 and Persona 3 on my HDTV via PS2 and I thought they looked ok, though Katamari looks pretty awful. Haven't experimented much with other games.)

What about using the HDD? Can you load entire PS2 games onto the HDD and play without switching discs and no load times, and use the HDD for saves? That seems like a desirable feature...

[quote name='Backlash']Thought I'd just resurrect this thread, rather than post my own. I have a similar question to the OP regarding the 3 PS3 models currently available. However, my main questions pertain to playing PS2 games on the PS3, as I plan to continue playing PS2 games for awhile

Is there any compelling reason to play PS2 games on the PS3 if you already have a PS2 (I have a slim PS2)? For example, does the upscaling really make the games look nicer? (I have played GOW2 and Persona 3 on my HDTV via PS2 and I thought they looked ok, though Katamari looks pretty awful. Haven't experimented much with other games.)

What about using the HDD? Can you load entire PS2 games onto the HDD and play without switching discs and no load times, and use the HDD for saves? That seems like a desirable feature...[/quote]

upscaling... depends on who you ask... I think it looks nice, but TMK will undoubtedly be here in a few saying it doesn't look that good. Granted I never had a PS2, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Loading games onto the HDD, no, you can't do that.

I'd say, if you don't mind having to deal with memory cards/another console sitting there/more cables/etc keep using the PS2.

bread's done
Back