Which PS3 to buy?

hunterrogue

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Might be thinking about jumping into the Sony generation, but not sure which one to get...

Should I get 80 gig PS3 new/used OR

get the 40-60gig and get the backward compatible model?

Is the BC decent or does it just look/play like like crap?

Well, it depends - how many PS2 games do you own? Does your current PS2 still work? How much more will you be playing your PS2 games after getting a PS3?

Also, how much are you going to be using the hard drive? (Remember, most PS3 games require some sort of install.) Are you willing to upgrade the hard drive? Or are you willing to uninstall and reinstall games more frequently if you get a model with the smaller HD?

I've never used the hardware BC, but as far as the software BC models go (I own the 80GB MGS4 version), they get the job done, but they can be kinda glitchy (random freezes, graphical corruption, lower frame rates).

I picked up an 80GB Non-BC model (new) last year. I thought I would need BC, but I just use my PS2 whenever I want to play those games.

Got a working ps2? Go for the newer 80gb or 160gb model.

Don't have a ps2, or would like to cut the clutter next to the tv, then get the 60gb hardware BC model, but the newer 80gb software BC should be fine, but a bit glitchier with the BC.

Cash strapped and have a bit of technical know-how? Then follow shadowkast's advice and buy the cheapest that you can, and upping the HDD room when you could afford it.

As for how the BC looks, YMMV really, but it becomes a moot point if you're playing on a non-HDTV, since it looks pretty much the same to me, between the ps2 and ps3 bc. If you do own an HDTV, the ps3 does do a good job upscaling certain aspects of the older ps2 or even ps1 games, like reduction of jaggies and giving each game a faux-widescreen effect.

I sold my PS2 and only use hardware BC through the 'archaic' 20 GB model.

If you don't need BC or want to keep a PS2 around, then you should take the sound advice here: get the cheapest one. Otherwise, unless you have a ton of non-compatible titles, you should only need software BC.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Knowing Sony, the list may be outdated to be useful. Popular titles should have a few or no problems. Although, none of the Shadow Hearts games work flawlessly on an 80 GB.

if you got more money and dont care so much about bc, you might considering holding out for a slim ps3. there's benefits and disadvantages of course. lower power consumption? low profile. i wonder how thin it'll get.

It is all dependent really on if you want backwards computability or not. If the answer is yes I recommend either the 60 (if you can find one used for cheap) or the 80 MGS4 one. If you have a PS2 that works perfect and don't mind BWC then just get an 80 gig. Since it is pretty simple to change out the HD size doesn't really matter

Just bought the 160GB Uncharted bundle from sonystyle.com. It came with a second free DualShock 3 wireless controller with the purchase. Also, they had a deal where you sign up for a PlayStation card, purchase a PS3 with it, and get 100 bucks back on the card (effectively giving me a $100 off the price).

So, I got a free game, another free controller, and 100 bucks back (if I keep using the card, and spend 3000 within the next three months on bills, I will get another 200 bucks back).

Had the PS3 for about a week, and Uncharted is a great game.

They may start the deal again, so check out sonystyle.com.

[quote name='hunterrogue']Might be thinking about jumping into the Sony generation, but not sure which one to get...

Should I get 80 gig PS3 new/used OR

get the 40-60gig and get the backward compatible model?

Is the BC decent or does it just look/play like like crap?[/QUOTE]

Backwards compatibility is awesome. It even looks better then the original system due to smoothening options and what not. Much more streamlined then the xbox originals on 360. I recommend 60/80gb b/w compatible for sure. If you are not interested in ps2 games though, save yourself the headache and just by the 40gb. However, my 8ogb model has memory card slots galore as well as 4 usb ports. Multi-media powerhouse.

Thanks for all the advice, ended up getting the 80 gig Greatest Hits version with Motorstorm and Resistance bundled in. God I love a wife who knows my dream birthday present!!!

I'm also looking to add a ps3 to my cluttered setup. I don't have a ps2 anymore so I definitely want a backwards compatible model. I have no problem putting a bigger hard drive in at some point. Is there a downside to just getting a used 20 GB version? That's the cheapest one at one of our used game shops ($290). I really haven't been paying attention to anything ps3 until very recently, so feel free to let me know of anything I might not be taking into account.

[quote name='Machikunas']I'm also looking to add a ps3 to my cluttered setup. I don't have a ps2 anymore so I definitely want a backwards compatible model. I have no problem putting a bigger hard drive in at some point. Is there a downside to just getting a used 20 GB version? That's the cheapest one at one of our used game shops ($290). I really haven't been paying attention to anything ps3 until very recently, so feel free to let me know of anything I might not be taking into account.[/QUOTE]
I have a 20GB PS3 with a 160GB HDD in it. I love it. It has 4 USB ports (all current models have 2), hardware BC with PS2, no WiFi and no card slots (current models don't have this). It also doesn't have the chrome strip that all other PS3s have (20GB is solid black). I love it. The only thing I wish it had is WiFi, but I used wired, and if I had to go wireless, I could buy an adapter.

I say get it for $290.

[quote name='naes']I have a 20GB PS3 with a 160GB HDD in it. I love it. It has 4 USB ports (all current models have 2), hardware BC with PS2, no WiFi and no card slots (current models don't have this). It also doesn't have the chrome strip that all other PS3s have (20GB is solid black). I love it. The only thing I wish it had is WiFi, but I used wired, and if I had to go wireless, I could buy an adapter.

I say get it for $290.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I also have the exact same model with the exact same HD in it.

[quote name='Machikunas']I'm also looking to add a ps3 to my cluttered setup. I don't have a ps2 anymore so I definitely want a backwards compatible model. I have no problem putting a bigger hard drive in at some point. Is there a downside to just getting a used 20 GB version? That's the cheapest one at one of our used game shops ($290). I really haven't been paying attention to anything ps3 until very recently, so feel free to let me know of anything I might not be taking into account.[/QUOTE]

I got a used 60GB and am extremely happy with it. I bought my refurb at www.gamefunk.com and it's fantastic. No issues whatsoever. Oh, and the price can't be beat. I don't know what they sell 20GB's for. You can go there and check.

http://www.gamefunk.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=711719800002&CartID=0

To answer your BC question, the 20 and 60 gigs have full hardware compatibility. In other words, those models will play all PS1 and PS2 games flawlessly.

The 40's can't play any PS2/PS1 games (if I remember correctly- someone call me on this) while some of the 80 gigs, namely the MGS4 one, do have some BC because of Software Emulation.

Now as for which one you should get, I think you should weigh your options.

If you have a PS2 and plan to keep it, then any model will be safe for you. If you go this route, just look for the cheapest one.

However, if you plan on getting rid of your PS2 and have a library of PS2 games you want to play, then the best models to get are the 20, and 60 gigs. You can upgrade the hard drives if you need to.

I think I'm going to go with whichever is cheapest, which looks to be the 20 gb fully BC model. Should I be concerned about buying used? I'm on my second 360 and it makes me paranoid about getting a ps3 without a warranty. Are PS3s anywhere near as faulty as the 360?

Hi guys I started a new thread asking essentially the same thing, theres seems to be quite a lull in quality games coming out for the xbox until fall and I am considering PS3 to fill that void. I have no desire to use the ps3 for anything other than gaming. So features really mean nothing. Theres only a handful of games id want to play anyway. What Im asking is the best/cheapest option for me, BC would be nice but not a deal breaker. Im still confused about which versions have BC and which dont. Do all ps3's have hdmi? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[quote name='Machikunas']I think I'm going to go with whichever is cheapest, which looks to be the 20 gb fully BC model. Should I be concerned about buying used? I'm on my second 360 and it makes me paranoid about getting a ps3 without a warranty. Are PS3s anywhere near as faulty as the 360?[/QUOTE]

I hate to bump a thread, but should I be worried about buying used?

[quote name='Machikunas']I hate to bump a thread, but should I be worried about buying used?[/QUOTE]
No.

[quote name='Blue Linckia']The 40's can't play any PS2/PS1 games[/QUOTE]
Every PS3 is 100% backwards compatible with PS1 games.

[quote name='naes']Every PS3 is 100% backwards compatible with PS1 games.[/QUOTE]

Okay cool. I wasn't sure about PS1 games, but I know the PS2 games have BC on 20's, 60's and some 80's.

Thanks for clarifying it for me.

Well, I went with the 20 GB. Thanks for all the advice, guys. I have it downloading like 15 demos while I search for my old PS2 composite cables. Getting a new system is exciting!

[quote name='Machikunas']Well, I went with the 20 GB. Thanks for all the advice, guys. I have it downloading like 15 demos while I search for my old PS2 composite cables. Getting a new system is exciting![/QUOTE]
I highly recommend upgrading the HDD.

[quote name='naes']I highly recommend upgrading the HDD.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think I will. I suppose I'll have to mess with moving savegames and stuff won't I. Should I upgrade the HDD right away or is it easy enough to do so somewhere down the line?

I have the 80gb, but once you buy one (doesn't matter which) your more than welcome to upgrade the hard drive. My buddy had a 20 and went to 320gb.

bread's done
Back