which psp model to get?

ajumbaje

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
I used to have a psp when it first came out, but then sold it later that year.

Now, Im looking to possibly get one again and was wondering which one you all suggest.

I know there's pros and cons of the pspgo, but do the pros outweigh the cons to warrant a purchase?

Also, I have a ps3, are there any advantages one psp model has over the others with ps3 connectivity?

Cliff notes:
used to have psp but starting from scratch
money shouldnt be an issue

There's very little difference between the 2000 vs 3000 outside of quality of screen, ability to output games to a TV via a composite connection, and some other minor features.

So if you find a decent deal on a 2000 that's in good shape go for it, but otherwise I say shoot for the 3000, as it'll be what's new on store shelves.

Stay away from the Go by all costs IMHO. All the conveniences in the world aren't worth missing out on the second-hand marketplace and the replaceable battery.

If I were to go out and purchase a PSP game and I end up not liking it I'm free to sell it or trade it at my leisure. Not to mention renting; With a gamefly account or a trip to the blockbuster I can actually rent PSP games. None of that is possible with the Go. If you buy a game and don't like it, tough, you're out the money and stick with it. Want to trade a game with a friend? Good luck with that bub. In the end if you find a PSP game that you like, by all means sell off your UMD version and grab the downloadable for convenience if you wish, that is, if it's available on the store.

In addition the PSP 3000 has a user-replaceable battery, and the best feature of this is that Sony sells a high-capacity battery which will take your battery usage time of 2-3 hours up to 5-6 hours, which is awesome for a handheld system not made by Nintendo.

Oh, did I mention that the 3000 is $70+ cheaper than the Go? I realize you said money isn't an issue but $70 will get you at least 2 PSP games if not 4 or more if you're a true cheap-asser.

What's a good case for the 3000? I'm probably gonna get the gran turismo bundle via amazon. Also, is there a charging dock like the one for the go?

Also, what's the screen issue people keep pointing out with the 3000

[quote name='ajumbaje']What's a good case for the 3000? I'm probably gonna get the gran turismo bundle via amazon. Also, is there a charging dock like the one for the go?

Also, what's the screen issue people keep pointing out with the 3000[/QUOTE]

Some people claim that the 3000 has interlacing issues, but from what I've seen of it it's people just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. The screen is gorgeous and actually looks better than the 2000 in alot of aspects.

As far as cases go, my one and only recommendation is and will always will be Logitech's Playgear case. The Playgear is a hard plastic shell that the PSP sits in that will product it from most drops and bumps. Once you see how scratched up the case gets you'll be glad the scratches are on the case and not the PSP itself.

And holy shit it's $7 which is like a third of what I paid for the sucker.

f1bdc060ada0f2cfe2c80210.L.jpg

19dac060ada0f2cfe2c80210.L.jpg

a585c060ada003cfe2c80210.L.jpg

One of the coolest things is that the inserts in the top and bottom of the case are removable so you can customize it with the artwork of your choosing, ala:

ceb1419328a037bc176ce110.L.jpg

ad4d51c88da0e3e22e7ce110.L.jpg

Edit: As far as charging docks go, there are no first-party official docks like there is for the Go, but there will be third party models. Whether or not you think that's necessary is up to you but I personally I think that's money best spent elsewhere.

Having handled an original, a 2000, and a 3000 before purchasing, I have to agree the 3000 has the best screen of all of them.

... However I do see the interlacing. Especially with moving bright objects against dark backgrounds. Once I start paying attention to the game as a game, it doesn't bother me.

anyone use the zagg screen protector for the psp? I used to have the logitech playgear pocket for my 1000 and it was a charm.

Also, another thread on the page is mentioning a game called monster hunter. I remember hearing of it a while back, anyone like it?

[quote name='ajumbaje']anyone use the zagg screen protector for the psp? I used to have the logitech playgear pocket for my 1000 and it was a charm.

Also, another thread on the page is mentioning a game called monster hunter. I remember hearing of it a while back, anyone like it?[/QUOTE]

I had the Zagg screen protector and I frankly feel like I got ripped off $15. They didn't send enough of the solution that it required to adhere it to the screen so when I tried to apply it the screen protector instantly bonded and when I attempted to pull it off to re-try applying it the screen protector stretched and then didn't fit the system anymore. I e-mailed the company and told them my situation but they basically told me I was SOL in the nicest way possible. $15 down the toilet.

Now I use these. Less than $8 for a pack of 12 rather than spending $10-15 for one or two. You cut them to the appropriate size of the PSP screen and stick 'em on. If you mess one up you're out 60 cents rather than $15.

There's a demo you can grab on the Playstation Network of Monster Hunter. It's a neat little game, similar to a more advanced Phantasy Star Online or Diablo, but keep in mind that like those titles, it's best enjoyed in multiplayer mode, but the game has no online component to speak of, it's only local system-to-system multiplayer, so your mileage may vary.

[quote name='Gourd']Having handled an original, a 2000, and a 3000 before purchasing, I have to agree the 3000 has the best screen of all of them.

... However I do see the interlacing. Especially with moving bright objects against dark backgrounds. Once I start paying attention to the game as a game, it doesn't bother me.[/QUOTE]

Yup. When I first got my 3000 (to replace a broken 2000), it was extremely obvious to me. You get used to it, but it's really hard to miss.

Then again, mine is apparently a very early model 3000 (despite coming in the GT PSP bundle), maybe later models the issue isn't so bad?

Still, better than the ghosting previous models suffered from.

I went ahead and purchased that Logitech case for my new Hannah Montana PSP. I figured that you cant go wrong for $7. I held off on buying the screen protectors that maximumzero reccomended for the time being. They arent being fulfilled by Amazon and the bastards want $4 for shipping. I dont want to pay $12 for screen protecters that may or may not piss me off.

Any other suggestions for cheap screen protectors that do the trick? Preferably one where they dont kill the cost with shipping.

I just ordered them from Amazon but the shipping came up as free this time. Thanks

EDIT: I went ahead and cancelled my order when I realized it was only a 5 pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='maximumzero']As far as cases go, my one and only recommendation is and will always will be Logitech's Playgear case. The Playgear is a hard plastic shell that the PSP sits in that will product it from most drops and bumps. Once you see how scratched up the case gets you'll be glad the scratches are on the case and not the PSP itself.

And holy shit it's $7 which is like a third of what I paid for the sucker.

f1bdc060ada0f2cfe2c80210.L.jpg

19dac060ada0f2cfe2c80210.L.jpg

a585c060ada003cfe2c80210.L.jpg

One of the coolest things is that the inserts in the top and bottom of the case are removable so you can customize it with the artwork of your choosing, ala:

ceb1419328a037bc176ce110.L.jpg

ad4d51c88da0e3e22e7ce110.L.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I thought I'd share these; I made some new inserts for my PSP and DS Lite Playgear cases last night.

cases1.jpg

cases2.jpg

[quote name='Dahk']
Any other suggestions for cheap screen protectors that do the trick? Preferably one where they dont kill the cost with shipping.[/QUOTE]

Transparent vinyl sheets that cost ~50 cents per SQUARE FOOT. You can buy these at Wally World, Hobby Lobby, etc in the craft supply area where people buy quilting materials and such. Kittrich Vinyl, for example.

I use this stuff for all sorts of things, such as a surface for applying registration stickers to my car without leaving muck on my windshield, or on my DS, as mentioned later in this post.

Go for thin gauge. Apply with a very very weak soap solution, or Windex thinned out with water. Work in a clean room, away from animals and dust. Once the sheet is applied, gently use a credit card and a paper towel to squeeze and wick solution from under the screen.

After 12 hours, the screen will be gently bonded and can be easily removed. After 24 hours it will be on there tightly, as more and more solution evaporates from the edges. Never fear. You can always remove it with ease, it just won't accidentally slide or scrape off.

More difficult to do than using a custom cut sheet, yes. However at 25 cents per square foot, you can try many, many, many times.

I had a pair of these sheets on my DS Lite since release. I haven't felt the need to appy them to my PSP, since I carry it everywhere in the logitech case, with a microfiber cloth covering the screen.

I would say go for a used 1000 (phat) series. For reasons that I cannot discuss here, the phats are vastly superior to the newer ones. Just def stay away from the GO.

[quote name='geoff420']I would say go for a used 1000 (phat) series. For reasons that I cannot discuss here, the phats are vastly superior to the newer ones. Just def stay away from the GO.[/QUOTE]

No. No. No. No. No.

Stay the hell away from the 1000. That's like recommending someone picking a Nintendo DS over a Nintendo DS Lite or DSi.

The 2000 and even the 3000 make so many improvements from it you shouldn't even have it in your field of vision.

I recommend the 1000 series only b/c of, uhhh, how to put this w/o getting reprimanded...

I know...

my psp 1000 can play NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, etc, etc...

but I can't tell you how.
google is your friend
read my sig and you will understand

[quote name='geoff420']I recommend the 1000 series only b/c of, uhhh, how to put this w/o getting reprimanded...

I know...

my psp 1000 can play NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, etc, etc...

but I can't tell you how.
google is your friend
read my sig and you will understand[/QUOTE]

Illegal, Illegal, Illegal, Illegal, etc, etc.

The entire homebrew thing is a good way to ruin your $150+ investment and turn it into a brick. Outside of emulation there isn't a whole lot of purpose for it. And Emulation is both illegal and immoral. Why not just play all the awesome actual PSP games you can purchase?

It's damn near impossible to brick a 1000/2000 PSP. You can recover it 99% of the time.

If you don't care about homebrew, then a 3000 is what I'd get. Screen is just too beautiful.

I just have my 1000 but plan to buy another to keep one 'official' for online and adhoc party play on PS3.

Best reason to use homebrew? Ripping your games to UMD.
No more carrying them around and being so careful, no more broken UMD cases, no more slow loading.

First thing I do when I buy and start to play my new game is rip it and store the game in it's case to be safe.

I'd recommend the 3000 model also. There are still a truckload of PSP games that are UMD only not to mention even with a 16gb memory stick the 3000 is cheaper and some would argue bigger screen and more comfortable controls.

I just recently upgraded from a 1000 (awful D pad and battery life) to a 3000 and the difference was amazing. The upgrade just on the D pad makes SFA3 playable now not to mention the screen is much more colorful and brighter. (Extra battery life didn't hurt either)

[quote name='powersurge']I'd recommend the 3000 model also. There are still a truckload of PSP games that are UMD only not to mention even with a 16gb memory stick the 3000 is cheaper and some would argue bigger screen and more comfortable controls.

I just recently upgraded from a 1000 (awful D pad and battery life) to a 3000 and the difference was amazing. The upgrade just on the D pad makes SFA3 playable now not to mention the screen is much more colorful and brighter. (Extra battery life didn't hurt either)[/QUOTE]

Grab one of the extended life batteries if you play it alot. You'll be definitely amazed at the Battery Life then.

[quote name='maximumzero']I thought I'd share these; I made some new inserts for my PSP and DS Lite Playgear cases last night.

cases1.jpg

cases2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's a cool case for your DS. Where did you get it :)

Been looking into getting a 2000 because I really want to get the Monster Hunter shell since the MH PSP is long since sold out. Anyone know if the shell fits the 3000 well at all?

[quote name='Torn']Been looking into getting a 2000 because I really want to get the Monster Hunter shell since the MH PSP is long since sold out. Anyone know if the shell fits the 3000 well at all?[/QUOTE]

Physically the 2000 and 3000 should be identical.

[quote name='ajumbaje']anyone use the zagg screen protector for the psp? I used to have the logitech playgear pocket for my 1000 and it was a charm.

Also, another thread on the page is mentioning a game called monster hunter. I remember hearing of it a while back, anyone like it?[/QUOTE]
I use the Zagg on my PSP Go and it looks great and I don't have to worry about it in my pocket. The only thing is that putting it on is kind of a pain in the ass but the payoff (if you do it right) is totally worth it.

If you're getting a larger one I'd definitely get the Logitech Playgear Pocket. It's cheap, durable, and the PSP is already large so it really doesn't make a difference. The only reason I got a Zagg for the PSP Go is because the system is so small and I wanted to keep it that way instead of a bulky protector. The Zagg on my system is great and you wouldn't even know there's something on it just by looking at it.

Just wanted to offer an FYI for you folks.

Stay away from the Invisible Shield screen protectors from Zagg. I found out the hard way this weekend that you get the smallest amount of liquid in the PSP and it almost most certainly give you issues.

While applying the screen protectors apparently some of the liquid got into the system near the buttons and as a result the start button was stuck in an "on" position. The button wouldn't register unless you flicked the hold switch on and off, breaking the connection for all the buttons. This also caused a bunch of other problems, from not allowing menu options to be changed when you hit the home button to not allowing you to use the web browser.

Luckily I was still within Gamestop's return policy so I swapped it out for a new system, the last Assassin's Creed bundle they had left.

After looking at review after review of screen protectors, I bought the BoxWave ClearTouch Anti-Glare screen protector for the PSP Slim I received for Christmas:

http://www.boxwave.com/products/cleartouch/cleartouch-gaming-screen-protector.htm

It's more expensive than most others ($12.95), but does not require any solution and can be re-used. It was a bit difficult to apply at first, though by using the Scotch tape trick to remove dust particles, I got it applied over the screen - it works well and looks great.

Does anyone think it's worth upgrading from a phat to a 3000? With the $30 HW Trade in Bonus towards a new system that GS is offering I was considering it, I'm just not sure if it's worth the extra money.

If your not doing CFW upgrade to 2000 or 3000 . i was considering doing that but decided against and just picked up a Used go and kept the phat.. . i think with the GS promos you can get around 110 for the phat and a few trades now with the gamestop 50% trade in you can snag a 3000 GT bundle way cheap

Is there any advantage for going from a 1000 to a 3000? I would like to get a Go, but that price is WAY too high for me, even on used.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Does anyone think it's worth upgrading from a phat to a 3000? With the $30 HW Trade in Bonus towards a new system that GS is offering I was considering it, I'm just not sure if it's worth the extra money.[/QUOTE]

I got $65 for my 2000, plus the $30 brought the total to $95. I had a $25 GC so in the end I picked up the Assassin's Creed bundle for around $100.

I thought it was worth it.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Is there any advantage for going from a 1000 to a 3000? I would like to get a Go, but that price is WAY too high for me, even on used.[/QUOTE]

TONS OF ADVANTAGES:

-Lighter, smaller PSP casing.
-Brighter screen with better color support.
-Less motion blur/ghosting on the screen.
-Improved loading times due to internal memory increase.
-Video-Out via a cable so you can your games/watch movies on your TV.
-Built-in Mic for Skype & other voice chat usage
-Better Battery Life, especially with the extended life battery kit.

is 150 used for a go mint condition at Gamestop.

3000 brighter screen louder built in mic .possible to put CFW.

1000 CFW is easy

go is best for people new to psp

Download vs Disk, I am cheap and can get disks used, you can't do that with downloads

Check out the portable comparison at GameScales.com to take a look for yourself​

Assassins Creed Edition is what I would suggest, it comes with enough extras to make it worth the price.

>Confirming Assassins Creed PSP is the 3001 model w/ 5.02 , 2 gig MS Duo , Assassins Creed: Bloodlines , Angels & Demons download Code , 10 mp3 downloads , charger etc.

Having just sold my DS Lite on Craiglist for $100, and having a $25 giftcard for Gamestop through e-rewards I decided to pick up a PSP Go used for $25 out of pocket. It was pre-packaged with plastic packaging with a 'Gamestop Certified Refurbished Hardware' sticker on it. I felt better about buying it as you never know what you'll get with a used system. Its actually in new condition less box and packaging.

I already have a PSP 2001 running CFW, however I bought the PSP Go to legitimize myself so to speak. I'll use my 2001 strictly for emulation and purchase PSP content for the Go.

Funny thing is, I'm having a hard time convincing myself that's a good idea and haven't opened the PSP Go yet to leave the possibility of returning it available.

warning you. do not get the pspgo. It's the single biggest case of buyer's remorse i've ever had. It's a huge hassle to get games onto it. all the games are very expensive and never go on sale. and trust me you don't need all your games everywhere. i also find it largely uncomfortable. search bing.com for psp and click on dell and with cashback you pretty much get a 3000 for 130 shipped.

one more thing. consider this. which would you rather buy?

the umd
http://www.amazon.com/Resistance-Re..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1269182974&sr=8-1

OR

the digital version
http://www.amazon.com/Resistance-Re..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1269182974&sr=8-2

and to top it off, that game is over a gig.

Returned the PSP Go last night. :)

I'm going to wait for the inevitable price drop AND better pricing for the digital downloads.

One of the best reasons I heard to avoid the Go was that since Sony owns a monopoly over the gaming distribution for it, the prices will probably suck the vast majority of the time. You will never get a used copy of anything for 50% lower than MSRP. I was lucky to get a clearanced R&C bundle 3000 for $133 last week, couldn't beat that with a stick.

What I'm really looking for are cheap PSN cards. I'd buy a lot more digital games if there was some way to not have to pay full price.

bread's done
Back