Which RPG to play for Winter Break?

fmarxnge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Which one should I play first? Winter Break is coming soon and I'll be bored as hell.

Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Chronicles
Final Fantasy Origins
Final Fantasy Anthology
Valkyrie Profile
Vagrant Story
Dragon Warrior VII
Vandal Hearts
Vandal Hearts 2
Star Ocean: Second Story
Chrono Cross
Xenogears
Vanguard Bandits
Suikoden
Suikoden 2
Threads of Fate
Grandia
Lunar Silver Star Story Complete
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Destiny II
Wild Arms
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV

My friend just recently gave me his whole RPG collection since he was moving and didn't want the trouble of taking them all. I'm guessing he didn't know that these were valuable either so that's good for me. Also don't bother asking to buy these off from me. I'll eventually sell them when I play them all, which is probably not at all in the near future.

Damn that's quite the RPG collection!

My recomendations depend on if you've ever played these games before or not? If you've never played any of them, then you really can't go wrong with FF8. Or you could start in order and go with Origins first.

Star Ocean Second Story....It'll probably take your entire break and then some, especially if you are the type of gamer who wants to complete everything in a game.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Star Ocean Second Story....It'll probably take your entire break and then some, especially if you are the type of gamer who wants to complete everything in a game.[/quote]

I agree. That game is packed full with branches and side quests.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Star Ocean Second Story....It'll probably take your entire break and then some, especially if you are the type of gamer who wants to complete everything in a game.[/quote]

One of my friends from high school certainly is in regards to that game. He put over 120 hours into it, and maxed all the characters out at lvl 25.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Your luck sickens me.[/quote]

hahaha. too bad the games I won't be playing will just be sitting there, lonely.

I have all of those games except Vagrant Bandits, and Tales of Destiny.. But they cost me a fortune.. You are so lucky man.

What a list! And he just gave them to you to boot. Wish I had friends like that. Anyhoo, start off with Final Fantasy Chronicles but not for the Final Fantasy 4 part of it, but rather to play Chrono Trigger (and to get its story so it sets you up for later). Then Chrono Cross (you will not regret these at all). Then you can't go wrong with either Vagrant Story or Valkyrie Profile. If you want sort of a quick RPG go with Threads of Fate (or you can cram this in after the Chronos if you play those non-stop). Dragon Warrior 7 I'd also recommend but from what I have heard about it, it can take upto 300 hours to complete so you might not have enough time. But definently go for the Chronos first.

I can't say all the games are in good condition or even working. Some don't have cases and most don't have manuals. Either way, I feel pretty content about this unexpected event.

Rockhero listed some of the rarer ones, so grab those even if you have little interest in them.

Final Fantasy 9 sounds the most christmasy to me. I dunno. lots of set pieces, lots of color, lots of character.

[quote name='fmarxnge'][quote name='zionoverfire']Your luck sickens me.[/quote]

hahaha. too bad the games I won't be playing will just be sitting there, lonely.[/quote]

Actually besides the Tales of Destiny 2 I've owned or do own them all, I've just been trying to get that game for quite some time and you get it for free. My best suggestion is to start them all and select the ones you want to play over break now.

My vote is for Suikoden or Chrono Trigger since they both have sequals that are quite good.

[quote name='Maverick CRV']You could get a lot of store credit at EB or Gamestop for those games.[/quote]

Or a lot of real money if he sold them through Ebay.

What kind of gameplay and story are you hoping for? The graphical style and mood of those games are completely different, but a lot of those are excellent games. Still, we could probably come up with a more unanimous choice or two if you list any sort of preference, even a graphical one.

I don't think time is a really big issue, because when I get started on a good RPG (like FFX) I barely stop playing. I can stay up all night everyday if I had to.

But answering robbart, graphics don't worry me a lot. I just don't like slow stories or really slow gameplay. Turn-based games are fine, but I don't like to explore as much as leveling up and such.

do yourself a favor and play lunar, it's very enjoyable and entertaining and has some amusing references to things that were going around the time or release

[quote name='fmarxnge']I don't think time is a really big issue, because when I get started on a good RPG (like FFX) I barely stop playing. I can stay up all night everyday if I had to.

But answering robbart, graphics don't worry me a lot. I just don't like slow stories or really slow gameplay. Turn-based games are fine, but I don't like to explore as much as leveling up and such.[/quote]

I was going to say Grandia (one of my all time favorites) but it is a dungeon crawler.

And with your above post in mind, I would have to suggest Final Fantasy VIII or Final Fantasy IX for you.

Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy IX
Lunar

DON'T play Breath of Fire III unless you are used to extremely slow gameplay and boring plots. This has the honor of being the only game that I fell asleep while playing (it wasn't even night time!).

[quote name='basketkase543']Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy IX
Lunar

DON'T play Breath of Fire III unless you are used to extremely slow gameplay and boring plots. This has the honor of being the only game that I fell asleep while playing (it wasn't even night time!).[/quote]

What are you talking about BOF3 isn't slow if you want slow play Xenogears, now that's slow.

Oh and FF9 sucks ass prepare to be dissapointed.

Too bad Disgaea wasn't in that list. It's got what I think you would be looking for: Lots of leveling (up to lvl 9999 and your weapons/items can be leveled up to 100 as well), good quick story (if you just wanted to finish the main story it can be done at level 45 but then you wouldn't have as much fun killing the last boss when you're at lvl 5632), witty dialogue, no exploration (each stage is fairly well laid out but you still gotta figure out how to pass each stage), and a few other things.

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='basketkase543']Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy IX
Lunar

DON'T play Breath of Fire III unless you are used to extremely slow gameplay and boring plots. This has the honor of being the only game that I fell asleep while playing (it wasn't even night time!).[/quote]

What are you talking about BOF3 isn't slow if you want slow play Xenogears, now that's slow.

Oh and FF9 sucks ass prepare to be dissapointed.[/quote]

Xenogears was a little too slow for me too. I could never really get into it.

LUNAR SILVER STAR STORY COMPLETE!!! PLAY THAT, AND YOU WON'T NEED ANYTHING ELSE!!!

:D

Come on. With all of the times I've said Lunar is my favorite game, some of you had to see that coming! :D

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']So many good RPGs in that lot that you really can't go wrong.[/quote]

I second that. Just put on a blind fold, spin around in a circle then pick one.

[quote name='jaykrue']Too bad Disgaea wasn't in that list. It's got what I think you would be looking for: Lots of leveling (up to lvl 9999 and your weapons/items can be leveled up to 100 as well), good quick story (if you just wanted to finish the main story it can be done at level 45 but then you wouldn't have as much fun killing the last boss when you're at lvl 5632), witty dialogue, no exploration (each stage is fairly well laid out but you still gotta figure out how to pass each stage), and a few other things.[/quote]

I concur, execpt after a certain point leveling up becomes quite boring and repetitive.

[quote name='Greetard']Don't play any of those, and rent KOTOR II![/quote]

If you're already going to say that then why not say for him to rent KOTOR 1 first and then two.

Either Star Ocean: The Second Story (I put over a 100 hours into it), Valkyrie Profile (Heard awesome things about it) or either of the Suikoden (Easily my favorite RPG series. These games are seriously amazing)...That's what I would say.

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='jaykrue']Too bad Disgaea wasn't in that list. It's got what I think you would be looking for: Lots of leveling (up to lvl 9999 and your weapons/items can be leveled up to 100 as well), good quick story (if you just wanted to finish the main story it can be done at level 45 but then you wouldn't have as much fun killing the last boss when you're at lvl 5632), witty dialogue, no exploration (each stage is fairly well laid out but you still gotta figure out how to pass each stage), and a few other things.[/quote]

I concur, execpt after a certain point leveling up becomes quite boring and repetitive.[/quote]

I've got to say, I did enjoy the part where I could gain like 100+ levels for killing one monster. That was too much fun.

bread's done
Back