Which SNES Version?

TctclMvPhase

CAGiversary!
Feedback
104 (100%)
I was hoping to find a bit of advice. I am looking to pare down my gaming collection and have been trying to decide what to do with older consoles.

For one, I have both versions of the SNES. Is there a big enough difference to warrant one over the other? My V1 has been hit by the "yellowing" so it is not as aesthetically pleasing.

I also have a modded XBox with XBMC. Is there a market for these?

Very minor differences with the redesign but if you want specifics:

1. No bottom expansion slot on the redesign, but the only device to use it was the Japan only Satelite veiw thingy.
2. No RF connection on redesign.
3. No red LED light to indicate the power on.

If it was a clean looking Ver. 1 I would go with that, I hate that ugly yellowing color. So in your case I would perfer the redesign.

[quote name='dragoon99']Yeah those yellowing SNES are so horrible looking.
I wonder why it happens... Was it the type of plastic?[/QUOTE]

When I was young I was told it was due to smokers, but I don't think that's entirely true. I think it's just a mixture of chemicals in the air depending on the foundation of your house or establishment that the SNES is in.

There is a way to undo the yellow if you really want to.

I've always heard it was due to the consoles being around cigarette smoke. Either way, mine hasn't been around smoke and it still looks the same as the day I got it.

I found some good sites, but Im at work right now, so I can't provide links. It has to do with the chemicals used in plastics. I have read guides on dying the plastics back and I have considered painting, but I think I may just get rid of it.

My V2 has the added bonus of being CIB.

What about other consoles? I also have a DC, GBA Micro, GB Pocket, GBC and PS2. Are any of those really worth holding on to as opposed to just picking up emus, remakes and other replacements?

SNS-101 with S-video or SCART mod.

Best you can get IMO.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']V2 SNES consoles don't do s-video, if you're into that sort of thing.[/QUOTE]

It's a really easy mod, and the mini provides the best S-video output IMO when modded.

[quote name='Rodimus']When I was young I was told it was due to smokers, but I don't think that's entirely true. I think it's just a mixture of chemicals in the air depending on the foundation of your house or establishment that the SNES is in.

There is a way to undo the yellow if you really want to.[/QUOTE]

There are ways to whiten the plastic, but you're most likely doing it more harm than good in the long run.

[quote name='TTGSteve']I've always heard it was due to the consoles being around cigarette smoke. Either way, mine hasn't been around smoke and it still looks the same as the day I got it.[/QUOTE]

Not at all.

You got lucky. I've got 5 SNES/SFC consoles at the moment, and one SFC is slightly yellowed on one of the topside parts, but I've had many come into my possession that were very yellow or that yellowed during the time that I owned them. The SNES carts are also prone to this (the backs more than the faces, which is actually a blessing).

It's a crap shoot. Luckily, enough time has passed that, if they're gonna yellow, then they already have and vice-versa. So at least you know what you're getting into when you buy used at this point ;)

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']I found some good sites, but Im at work right now, so I can't provide links. It has to do with the chemicals used in plastics. I have read guides on dying the plastics back and I have considered painting, but I think I may just get rid of it.

My V2 has the added bonus of being CIB.

What about other consoles? I also have a DC, GBA Micro, GB Pocket, GBC and PS2. Are any of those really worth holding on to as opposed to just picking up emus, remakes and other replacements?[/QUOTE]

It's basically plastic rust. Oxidization as a result of the plastic "gassing off" plus, ironically, an over-abundance of the stabilizers that are supposed to help prevent discoloring and breakdown.

If you have a SNES that's yellowed, best to just leave it alone or paint it. Not only is the discoloring an issue, but the plastic is actually breaking down and it becomes FAR more brittle. You may notice that 2nd-hand yellowed SNES units are often wrought with chips and whatnot around the edges.

Do you know which mother board your SNS-001 has? I may be interested if you're planning on selling it. I've sorta started hording them and trying to get at least one example of each iteration of the hardware.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']What about other consoles? I also have a DC, GBA Micro, GB Pocket, GBC and PS2. Are any of those really worth holding on to as opposed to just picking up emus, remakes and other replacements?[/QUOTE]

Depends if you still play them or not. I had a really nice collection of Famicom games in perfect condition but got rid of them all. Nice to look at all those pretty boxes but they just take up space. Same thing with my 'display' copies of SFC games. Personally I cannot stand playing remakes or ports on awkward controllers so I keep an SNES, Gamecube (with GBA player) and will have a Wii U in the future with a pretty decent VC library.

As far as Game Boy goes I'd say unless you have a Famitsu Game Boy light or something else ultra-rare, get rid of them all except for an AGS-101 model GBA.

The original SNES consoles turned yellow due to the flame-retardant chemical used on them. There's a trick to fixing it called "Retr0Bright" which I haven't tried.

The model-2 consoles look better but S-Video is worth keeping the original model for.

[quote name='willardhaven']The original SNES consoles turned yellow due to the flame-retardant chemical used on them. There's a trick to fixing it called "Retr0Bright" which I haven't tried.

The model-2 consoles look better but S-Video is worth keeping the original model for.[/QUOTE]

Ironically, it's actually an overabundance stabilizers and UV protectant that causes the yellowing.

Again, the S-vid/RGB mod is easy to do on any SNES mini.

[quote name='dragoon99']Yeah those yellowing SNES are so horrible looking.
I wonder why it happens... Was it the type of plastic?[/QUOTE]

"An antiquated Nintendo response claims that the flame-resistant chemical used in the case discolors via exposure to heat, air, or light over time. One plastics expert suggested that manufacturers avoided using color defending plastics back in the day because of cost."

source: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/17/plastic-discoloration-why-your-snes-turned-yellow/

bread's done
Back