Which TV Boxset on DVD did you buy that you regretted?

William Smith

CAGiversary!
It's gonna happen. We all know it. We all look at that $50+ boxset be it TV or otherwise and think.... "Hmmm.... is this as good as I remembered it?"

My key offender was Land of the Lost (I'm old) and I also bought then sold the Jeffersons S1, which was funny but not something I'd watch more than once.

Anyone bought Kung Fu, Swat (TV), or Barretta? Those three seem like something I'd like... but after that LoL fiasco I get tired of losing money... buying and selling on eBay as 'experiments'.

The thing with TV boxsets is that you will only watch them once no matter what they are. They are great as rentals (Netflix anyone?) but useless otherwise.

[quote name='daphatty']The thing with TV boxsets is that you will only watch them once no matter what they are. They are great as rentals (Netflix anyone?) but useless otherwise.[/quote]

maybe thats true for you but you make it sound like its that way for everybody, and its definetly not true for me, ive watched the saved by the bell and the simpsons boxes over and over

The only boxsets I've purchased are the 24 and the Sopranos sets. The sopranos sets I've watched 3 times through and the 24 sets, you can only watch that show in boxset form.. on tv you're too likely to miss something major.

And for anyone that hasn't seen 24, I'd highly recommend renting on the boxsets, they're unbelievably great.

[quote name='daphatty'][quote name='punqsux']saved by the bell[/quote]

:shock:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:[/quote]i looooove saved by the bell! ive actully watched that more than the simpsons

The only box set I own is the Family Guy series. I really dont see myself buying any other TV box sets except maybe the original Star Trek series (But that series is way overpriced).

I haven't regretted any of the box sets that I have bought, they are all shows that I highly treasure and feel are awesome. Now watching some of them more than once hasn't happenned too often. I have seeen simpsons (own all of them , even the stand alone dvds) and have seen them at least i would have to say 3 times each. Most of my others I too have seen a couple of times like Highlander, etc.

I bought all 6 seasons of Stargate and the 4 seasons of Transformers. Definitely don't regret buying either of those.

I bought The Young Ones, which is a great British comedy. I don't regret it at all and I recommend anyone with a demented sense of humor check it out.

"Where'd you get that howitzer Vivian?"

Chappelle show Season 1. It was funny but stupid assholes just killed it (you know the idiots that think it is hilarious to quote a show 50 million times).

[quote name='O.D.D']Chappelle show Season 1. It was funny but stupid assholes just killed it (you know the idiots that think it is hilarious to quote a show 50 million times).[/quote]

actually, i was going to get that, but for legal reasons the music segments arnt on thier...just like in living color

The Young Ones: Every Stoopid Episode is an *excellent* set, assuming you like the show/that kind of humor. Yes, there's only 12 or so episodes [better than shows jumping the shark and outstaying their welcome by years], but this set is probably one of only 3 or 4 where I watched all the extras and got something out of every one of them.
For me it would the Spawn the Animated Series and The Outer Limits S1. Spawn was a blind buy, and I just didn't get into the show. I ended up selling it on Half.com for more than I paid for it [thanks Columbia House!], so I don't feel too bad about it; The Outer Limits is just such a big set, and it does feel a little odd watching the cheesy effects and some of the heavyhanded messages. The show itself is good, and I don't necessarily regret getting it, but if I were to regret one I still own, it would probably be that one [it's currently on half.com, and should it sell, i won't be heartbroken.]

[quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='O.D.D']Chappelle show Season 1. It was funny but stupid assholes just killed it (you know the idiots that think it is hilarious to quote a show 50 million times).[/quote]

actually, i was going to get that, but for legal reasons the music segments arnt on thier...just like in living color[/quote]

Music rights are a royal PITA re: TV sets. Freaks and Geeks took forever to get released because of that, and Tour of Duty definitely loses something without the opening 'Paint it Black.' And it's doubtful we'll ever see something like WKRP in Cincinnati on DVD in its original form, at least for a reasonable price.
Interesting article about music rights as they pertain to TV on DVD.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=870

Upright Citizens Brigade. It's still kinda funny, but I remember being soooo much better. Of course, that was college and I was a lot drunker then... :?

I enjoyed the UCB set. I didn't get to catch a lot of those episodes on first run, and the extras were hit or miss [the commentaries were great though], but I don't regret buying it. Of course, I also got it for something like 9 bucks shipped/new, so that helps.
The show itself was of course rude and crude, but I was actually quite disappointed in the season finale Little Donnie Foundation episode. I don't know if it 'offended' me, but it did 'bother' me.

Let's see... I bought both volumes of Family Guy the days they were released. I would never regret that one. Those are the only ones I've ever bought.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='daphatty']The thing with TV boxsets is that you will only watch them once no matter what they are. They are great as rentals (Netflix anyone?) but useless otherwise.[/quote]

maybe thats true for you but you make it sound like its that way for everybody, and its definetly not true for me, ive watched the saved by the bell and the simpsons boxes over and over[/quote]

i like saved by the bell

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='daphatty'][quote name='punqsux']saved by the bell[/quote]

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:[/quote]i looooove saved by the bell! ive actully watched that more than the simpsons[/quote]

I have to agree saved by the bell kick ass, Sometimes cheesy but was good to whatch.

24 is the best show ever...i randomly just watch episodes of that show because I love it so much....every TV boxset i've bought i've enjoyed

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='daphatty'][quote name='punqsux']saved by the bell[/quote]

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:[/quote]i looooove saved by the bell! ive actully watched that more than the simpsons[/quote]

I loved Saved by the Bell too. I actually got to meet Dennis Haskins (Mr. Belding) last year at my school (for some college tour he was doing). Got an autograph and a picture with him. Yay! :D

Anyways, on topic, the only TV DVD sets I've purchased are Mr. Show Season 1 & 2 DVD and Mr. Show Season 3 DVD. I've watched them many, many times. I'm looking forward to Sept. 21 when Season 4 finally comes out.

bread's done
Back