Which version of Picross DS should I get?

hootie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Seeing as how Picross DS is coming out in the UK on May 11th, I'm wondering if I should get that, or if I should just order the JP version from Play-Asia...

The thing is I don't know where I'd be able to get the UK version, because I'm 99% sure PA won't sell it, and some guy confirmed that amazon.uk won't ship video games to the US.

Some guy over at GameFAQs is offering to pick me up a copy in the UK, and sell it for about $50 shipped, but I don't know if he's legit or whatnot, plus I can get the JP version for $39 at PA.

So, which version should I get? Should I plunk down the extra few dollars and wait a couple of weeks to get the UK version which I could obviously understand and read, or should I just head over to PA right now and order the JP version, which is cheaper, but I won't understand the menus?

i thought you already ordered this game.. well, if you've been waiting this long, you could probably just wait until they announce it for the US.

May as well pay the extra $10 and get the UK version as long as they're the same. It'd be nice to understand menus and whatnot.

I only have about $100 to spend random stuff at the moment, and I still need to preorder Ouendan 2, so if I spend ~$53 on that, and ~$50 on Picross, I'll barely have any money left :whistle2:(

[quote name='hootie']I only have about $100 to spend random stuff at the moment, and I still need to preorder Ouendan 2, so if I spend ~$53 on that, and ~$50 on Picross, I'll barely have any money left :whistle2:([/quote]

[quote name='dyreschlock']well, if you've been waiting this long, you could probably just wait until they announce it for the US.[/quote]

;)

Just order the Japanese version when you order Ouendan 2, so you can combine shipping. There's very little needed to understand in the menus.

Oh, and you better not skip out on Ouendan 2 in favor of this to save monies!

A little more than 2 weeks left!

[quote name='dayglo']Just order the Japanese version when you order Ouendan 2, so you can combine shipping. There's very little needed to understand in the menus.[/quote]

Are you sure that I'd be able to navigate the menus without much trouble? Because that is the only thing keeping me from getting the JP version.

Oh and sixersballer, I definitely won't be passing Ouendan 2, believe me :)

the menus are dirt easy to navigate.. for Picross all the stages are pictures and have the words "stage X" next to them.

i should really go back and download new puzzles for that game, since someone in the Picross thread said you could.

Have you imported any Japanese games before?

ps: i've got Ouendan 2 preordered ^_^

I really want to try this game out, but I'm not willing to import either version of the game. I'm just gonna keep hoping for that US release...

dyrescholck-yep, I've imported many times :)

redsox6391-Are you sure they are legit? If you've ordered from them, how long does the cheapest shipping take?

[quote name='hootie']
redsox6391-Are you sure they are legit? If you've ordered from them, how long does the cheapest shipping take?[/quote]

I've never ordered, I was just trying to find a place to help you out. Just read around on the website, or maybe try the BBB, I don't know.

Ok, I checked out some reviews, and I heard it is a top-notch site, so I'll definitely be ordering from there!

I checked, and the total with shipping is only about $32, so I'll be saving a lot of money, and I'll get an english version :D

Thanks for the help, I definitley appreciate it!

....now, I wait....

[quote name='hootie']redsox6391-Are you sure they are legit? If you've ordered from them, how long does the cheapest shipping take?[/quote]

I was reading around the net on them. Apparently they started selling on the web in 1998 and eventually switched names to sendit. Most complaints seem to stem from slow initial shipping that seems to take around 5 days for the item to be sent out and bad customer service (though everybody gets those complaints and there were some good ones). Other than that the reviews seem to be mostly positive.

I decided to chance it with them even if it does ship slow so I ordered. They had did a quick $2 charge and then debited it back to me to test for validity of my card I guess. I'll see what happens as $35 shipped internationally isn't half bad.

[quote name='Draekon']I'll see what happens as $35 shipped internationally isn't half bad.[/quote]

It most certainly is not :applause:

And if you ordered Picross, shouldn't it only be around $32? :)

Whatever you do, do not buy the UK version of the game. Even if the game may be in English, UK DS game packaging looks terrible.

[quote name='hootie']It most certainly is not :applause:

And if you ordered Picross, shouldn't it only be around $32? :)[/quote]

I always round up but the final price for me was 22.49 (Euro) with €3 (Euro) shipping. Which converts to about $34.65.

[quote name='furyk']Whatever you do, do not buy the UK version of the game. Even if the game may be in English, UK DS game packaging looks terrible.[/quote]

I generally agree but I don't mind too much. It didn't look half bad compared to many of the other cover arts I've seen. Especially if you compare it to the japanese boxart of Picross.

[quote name='furyk']Whatever you do, do not buy the UK version of the game. Even if the game may be in English, UK DS game packaging looks terrible.[/quote]

Does the game case really matter that much, if I can get it for $10 cheaper, and English menus?;)

[quote name='hootie']Does the game case really matter that much, if I can get it for $10 cheaper, and English menus?;)[/quote]

Yes, yes it does. :lol:

Well, not so much with this, but I was planning on giving this a try until I saw what the box art was like. Guess I missed my chance, damn.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']I was planning on giving this a try until I saw what the box art was like. Guess I missed my chance, damn.[/quote]

I got that exact game, with that case, but the game is so good that it doesn't really matter how the BOX looks. Besides, I keep all of my cases in stacks, with the thin, black bottom part facing me, so I can't see the art anyway :booty:

Getting english version game for $10 cheaper, but with average case > Getting japanese version which might confuse me for $10 more, but with a case that *might* look better for some people (not really for me, though)

What is the likelihood of a U.S. release for this? I was pretty fond of Mario's Picross, and could never understand why it didn't take off here. Picross is basically like a graphical Sudoku, and they've somehow managed to release like 10 Sudoku titles for the DS here, so you'd think they'd give Picross another shot. Seems like it would have more variations to exploit. How many different ways can you arrange nine numbers in a block, anyway?

[quote name='Tybee']What is the likelihood of a U.S. release for this? I was pretty fond of Mario's Picross, and could never understand why it didn't take off here.[/quote]

Since it sold pretty much terribly here, I'm not sure if it will get released, but I wish they could've at least gave the US a small shipment, just to test the waters (all they would have to do is change the box, and maybe the manual)

[quote name='hootie']I got that exact game, with that case, but the game is so good that it doesn't really matter how the BOX looks. Besides, I keep all of my cases in stacks, with the thin, black bottom part facing me, so I can't see the art anyway :booty:

Getting english version game for $10 cheaper, but with average case > Getting japanese version which might confuse me for $10 more, but with a case that *might* look better for some people (not really for me, though)[/quote]

Is it in any way comparable to Mario Tennis on the GBA? I hear it's sort of RPG-ish... so, being in Japanese, is it hard to understand?

I agree with you on that point. And IMO the two box arts are both rather eh. I don't think one is any better than the other.

[quote name='Draekon']I generally agree but I don't mind too much. It didn't look half bad compared to many of the other cover arts I've seen. Especially if you compare it to the japanese boxart of Picross.[/QUOTE]

It's not so much the box art as it is the physical box. The packaging for all UK DS games are about the size of a GBA box and feel very, very cheap.

[quote name='hootie']Does the game case really matter that much, if I can get it for $10 cheaper, and English menus?;)[/QUOTE]

Talk to some other CAGs about how they won't buy Greatest Hits games or they won't buy a game unless it's complete. The one UK game I had stuck out like a sore thumb among my DS games.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Is it in any way comparable to Mario Tennis on the GBA? I hear it's sort of RPG-ish... so, being in Japanese, is it hard to understand?[/quote]

Well, I've only completed a few tournaments, but from what I know, you can't walk around the tennis places like in the Mario Tennis games, but for the actual tennis itself, it is really fun, and pretty much similar to Mario Tennis.

But you can't beat the classics, the original Mario Tennis for the GBC is definitely superior to both MT: Power Tour and Prince of Tennis

The same goes for Mario Golf on the GBC, it was bliss... :drool:

[quote name='hootie']Well, I've only completed a few tournaments, but from what I know, you can't walk around the tennis places like in the Mario Tennis games, but for the actual tennis itself, it is really fun, and pretty much similar to Mario Tennis.

But you can't beat the classics, the original Mario Tennis for the GBC is definitely superior to both MT: Power Tour and Prince of Tennis

The same goes for Mario Golf on the GBC, it was bliss... :drool:[/quote]

I see. My main question is text- is it text heavy? Do you find yourself wandering around cluelessly? I love Mario Tennis Power Tour and this looks like more of that same great gameplay.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']I see. My main question is text- is it text heavy? Do you find yourself wandering around cluelessly? I love Mario Tennis Power Tour and this looks like more of that same great gameplay.[/quote]

Actually, from what I've played, theres basically NO text to go through...

[quote name='furyk']It's not so much the box art as it is the physical box. The packaging for all UK DS games are about the size of a GBA box and feel very, very cheap.[/quote]

I see what you mean but I don't mind still as I'm always up to try something new first hand if the price is right. Pluss I haven't tried Picross but I've heard good things about it so I figured I'd give it a shot. If it releases in the US I'll re-buy it and dump my UK version on a friend just like I did with my extra disk-only games of my copies like Alundra and Ogre Battle.

[quote name='furyk']Talk to some other CAGs about how they won't buy Greatest Hits games or they won't buy a game unless it's complete. The one UK game I had stuck out like a sore thumb among my DS games.[/quote]

Actually I don't buy GH/PC/PH and would like my games to be complete as possible. However I don't mind if some things are missing but it depends what that thing is. Though I am also somewhat of a collector and I like to take care of the stuff I own as best as possible.

I also absolutely loathe importing PC stuff from the UK. I'll see if the UK DS case will cause me to not import another DS game from them. Thankfully Eternia seemed ok so PSP is still on my good list.

I don't see why they don't bring Picross over here to the US. I'm sure all those crappy Sudoku games sold enough for those publishers and developers to make money.

__

hootie: which games have you imported before? mostly shooters, fighters and other non-text centric games? this is pretty much the same deal. it's all in the gameplay.

__

also, on your tangent topic.. i, too, usually try to buy games in their original released packaging. ie: avoid the greatest hits packaging.

[quote name='dyreschlock']hootie: which games have you imported before?[/quote]

I've imported:

Jump Ultimate Stars
Ouendan
Gyakuten Saiban 2 DS (Eventually got PW2 though)
Prince of Tennis 2005 DS
Eyeshield 21: Max Devil Power DS
Chousoujuu Mecha MG

I think that's it...:)

hootie - the menus are about as difficult to navigate through as those in Ouendan. you'll be fine.

[quote name='SL4IN']I've never heard of this game? what exactly is it?[/quote]
Picross is basically Picture Crossword. It's difficult to explain in words :/, but the wikipedia article has a pretty explanatory gif of how it works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picross

its kinda like minesweeper.

Feel free to consider this unhelpful, ignorable advice, but...

...if you like importing Japanese games, consider spending a little time learning hiragana and katakana. They're not that hard, and many times what's written in either of them in videogames are loan words from English: sukippu, kurea, geemu, sutaato, suteejo serekuto, modoru, oppushon (these would be skip, clear, game, start, stage select, mode, and options).

Add just four Japanese words into this ('hai' = yes, 'iie' = no, "yameru" = quit, "tsujikeru/tsujiku" = continue) and you can navigate almost any menu thrown at you and actually know what you're doing.

I know virtually no kanji, and I can read a lot of things in Ouendan, all the instruments, song names and menus in Daigasso, a fair amount of text in Rhythm Tengoku. Chousoujuu is pretty much a lost cause, but I can pick out character names and assorted words.

If you have little or no interest in Japanese language or culture then this is obviously not for you. But it's not as hard as you might think. And once you can read even a little, you begin to notice all sorts of little things that make it all worthwhile.

Thanks for that information, I actually am pretty interested in the language and culture, but I just don't think I have the time to learn it.

[quote name='hootie']Thanks for that information, I actually am pretty interested in the language and culture, but I just don't think I have the time to learn it.[/quote]

well, if you're still in college, you should definitely try to study abroad to Japan. it's really not that much more expensive than a regular semester. Comparing costs, it was about twice as much for me to study in Japan that one semester, as opposed to the states.

The only problem is not spending all your cash on video games and so forth..

[quote name='dyreschlock']well, if you're still in college, you should definitely try to study abroad to Japan. it's really not that much more expensive than a regular semester. Comparing costs, it was about twice as much for me to study in Japan that one semester, as opposed to the states.

The only problem is not spending all your cash on video games and so forth..[/quote]

I'm actually still in high school ;).

[quote name='hootie']I'm actually still in high school ;).[/quote]

Oh. Well, no wonder you don't have time. I know I sure wouldn't have had any when I was in high school.

Hopefully that is true, I was about to order this from the UK but I will hold off...if it releases in July I think I can wait 2 months for this to get the $20 price.

Hopefully this is not a mistake.

Eh, that's alright, I'll take the UK version, I would NOT be able to hold out for another 2 months, I'd probably go insane :)

sweet, $20 for the US version. that's pretty amazing. I'll definitely pick that up despite already owning the Japanese version.

hopefully, all the versions will be compatible will each other.. much like Pokemon.

[quote name='blandstalker']Oh. Well, no wonder you don't have time. I know I sure wouldn't have had any when I was in high school.[/quote]

hey.. just wait 'til college

[quote name='dyreschlock']sweet, $20 for the US version. that's pretty amazing. I'll definitely pick that up despite already owning the Japanese version.[/quote]

Yeah, I'll definitely grab one at that price.

[quote name='dyreschlock']
hey.. just wait 'til college[/quote]

Honestly, college was easy in comparison to high school. I typically had 4 hours of homework a night in high school. College, there's a lot more to take up your time, but many times its by choice, not by necessity.

And I studied Japanese on the side while I was in college.

bread's done
Back