White Jagged Outlines on Graphics using HDTV

XTommyDonX

CAGiversary!
Hey Guys,

I'm expperiencing a problem with my PS3 on my new HDTV. It's a Samsung LN32A450 model using HDMI to connect to the PS3. It seems that in every game I play, there appears to be white, dashed outlines around everything from game characters to environments. Menus and everything like that look fine, but game elements don't look very good. I am also having a similar problem with my 360 which is connected by component cables.

Does it have to do with calibration on my TV or settings within the PS3. I can't seem to get that HD feel. I'm hoping that you can possibly help me out. Here's a link for the exact TV. Thanks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...2a450&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1202648740213

I haven't set anything like that up yet. I just got it and it's primarily for gaming. The only things connected so far are the PS3 through HDMI and 360 through component.

Well, I don't have that particular TV. However I'd try reseating all of your connections first. Have you calibrated the set yet? Are you using any image processing effects, such as a 'Dynamic contrast' setting, or anything like that?

If that doesn't help, I'd head over to Avsforum.com and ask about this in one of the threads dedicated to this make of TV. Here's one that I found: Official Samsung LNxxA450 (Series 4) Owners Thread

Usually people there are VERY helpful, and occasionally one of the engineers who worked on your device will drop in. That was the experience I had with my set.

You can also find links there for firmware updates and see if that helps.

You might check and see if you can turn off the DNIe processing in the setup menu on the TV. On some older samsung sets there was no option but due to lots of complaints they finally added the option in the last few years. Samsung makes some good TVs but I hate their image processing.

There's also a bit of motion blur found mainly in games. Any tips to prevent that. The recomendations from this thread helped a lot.

Not too sure about the outline... I sometimes see that on my TV with PS2 games, but the TV I own (52" Toshiba - 52xv545u) has a built in upscaler. Makes textures look nice, but it's too heavy on edge enhancement. I'd double check to make sure that the PS3 is set to 720p output (looks like that's the max your TV takes) and double check what image processing features you have enabled.

As for motion blur, that's just a problem with LCD. Manufacturer's have been developing ways to cut down on it (better response rates, frame interpolation, pulsing back light, etc.), but from what I've read, motion blur will always exist with LCD. (Unlike CRT or plasma, that displays the image and it fades away, LCD holds it until the next frame appears. If I understand it correctly, the brain sees the first image standing still and then it suddenly moves, so it interpreters it as blurring. Apparently this'll happen even if the response rate was 0 ms.)

The best thing I found to cut down on motion blur is to enable frame interpolation (which, sadly, you don't have), but I also found some improvements by disabling noise reduction (noise reduction basically blurs the picture - motion is slightly clearer now)

On a side note, if you're looking to tweak the settings of your TV, I highly recommend Digital Video Essentials - I have the Blu Ray version and I love it!

Also, viewing distance plays a part in how apparent motion blur is. People often think a bigger tv is automatically 'better' (More Horsepower!!! Syndrome, I guess.) without taking into account the distance they will be watching the set from.

If you're too close to a ginormous screen, the inherent motion blur of an LCD screen gets /worse./ A good rule of thumb is that you shouldn't be closer to an LCD HDTV than about five time the screen height.

This, and the trend towards higher frame rate LCD screens, is discussed here. Or you can go to Avsforum and check out any of the countless threads about it.

Thanks for the tips. My 360 picture has definately improved. I'll try to mess around with the Ps3 settings using MGS4 as a test.

bread's done
Back