White Knight Chronicles - Level 5's Groundhog Day Present - February 2, 2010 in NA

So just to clarify,

If I'm an Archer at one end of a football field and there's a troll on the opposite end, can the troll can stand still, swing his club, and hit me? Or does he need to move closer before he can attack?

[quote name='dcm1602']Just hope they patch that getting attacked from really far away glitch though.[/QUOTE]
It's not a bug, it's a feature.

I imagine it was meant to be that way. I mean, it would be pretty cheap if you stood out of every enemy's range and just killed them with bows or magic, right?

Also, got up to the GeoNet, so feel free to add me. My ID is ShinChibiJosh.Island (although, I'm pretty sure you can just add ShinChibiJosh).

Don't you have to be close enough (~10 feet or so) so that they become aware of your presence to actually start the fight? The videos I've seen haven't shown that they can start attacking when you're nowhere close, but like FF12, they don't have to be able to physically reach you for the attacks to hit because of the loophole ChibiJosh mentioned.

Just got this from Gamefly, so I'll be playing it this weekend while we are buried in a blizzard.

Yeah, you have to get close enough to actually be noticed, and some monsters won't even attack you unless you attack them first (that might be a level thing though).

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I imagine it was meant to be that way. I mean, it would be pretty cheap if you stood out of every enemy's range and just killed them with bows or magic, right?[/QUOTE]

No, it'd be a bloody RPG.

At very least give your enemies ranged attacks. Watching a monster halfway across the map swing his sword nowhere near me and hitting would be infuriating.

I played EQ at release, I'm used to monsters having different rules -- if a monster started casting on you in that game and the spell wasn't interrupted, you were going to get whether you moved out of line of sight or not. Same with every other attack. If you were a valid target in terms of range and line of sight at event time, the event would resolve on you, period. And that's fine.

But I seriously have never heard of or seen a game where a melee monster can take a swing at you across the map and score a hit as if you were standing right next to him -- which is why I'm finding this so hard to believe. Something that stupid has simply never been done by design. As far as I remember. And I've played more games than I can count.

Now, if Archery and Magic are simply so short-range that the monsters have to take two steps to be in melee range, that at least doesn't break the suspension of disbelief. That'd be more in the vein of FFXII if I remember correctly.

For some reason this is a big deal for me (probably because I'd want to play a caster). Would there happen to be any videos of this phenomenon in effect?

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']So just to clarify,

If I'm an Archer at one end of a football field and there's a troll on the opposite end, can the troll can stand still, swing his club, and hit me? Or does he need to move closer before he can attack?[/QUOTE]

If you get within aggro range of a mob, they start charging up their atk, when they launch it, u can't avoid it by running away. The only way the troll will start atking is either you get close, or you atk from range to get their attention. Melee mobs will walk up to you to do their atk, just that if you move away during their atk animation, the atk will still count. I wouldn't really call it a bug, just the way the game is designed to prevent hit and run tactics, imo. Hope this clarifies for most people.
It is still possible to do hit and run, but mobs are pretty persistent and chase for a good distance.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']No, it'd be a bloody RPG.

At very least give your enemies ranged attacks. Watching a monster halfway across the map swing his sword nowhere near me and hitting would be infuriating.

I played EQ at release, I'm used to monsters having different rules -- if a monster started casting on you in that game and the spell wasn't interrupted, you were going to get whether you moved out of line of sight or not. Same with every other attack. If you were a valid target in terms of range and line of sight at event time, the event would resolve on you, period. And that's fine.

But I seriously have never heard of or seen a game where a melee monster can take a swing at you across the map and score a hit as if you were standing right next to him -- which is why I'm finding this so hard to believe. Something that stupid has simply never been done by design. As far as I remember. And I've played more games than I can count.

Now, if Archery and Magic are simply so short-range that the monsters have to take two steps to be in melee range, that at least doesn't break the suspension of disbelief. That'd be more in the vein of FFXII if I remember correctly.

For some reason this is a big deal for me (probably because I'd want to play a caster). Would there happen to be any videos of this phenomenon in effect?[/QUOTE]

Well this isn't WRPG like WoW or Everquest, I'm guessing you don't really like any of the Final Fantasy series (exclude tactics) then? Forced to stand at range and take turns with the enemy attacking, slashing from far away. It's more like that kind of style but you have the ability to just move around.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I imagine it was meant to be that way. I mean, it would be pretty cheap if you stood out of every enemy's range and just killed them with bows or magic, right?

Also, got up to the GeoNet, so feel free to add me. My ID is ShinChibiJosh.Island (although, I'm pretty sure you can just add ShinChibiJosh).[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't be cheap. It would be Demon's Souls :bouncy:

[quote name='Myv']I'm guessing you don't really like any of the Final Fantasy series (exclude tactics) then? Forced to stand at range and take turns with the enemy attacking, slashing from far away. It's more like that kind of style but you have the ability to just move around.[/QUOTE]

You'd be guessing horribly wrong.

It's not an issue of East vs West, I promise. I was just picturing a mob swinging at air 100yds away and me getting hit.

How is aggro managed in this game? That is, how do the monsters decide who to attack?

Little bit of a slow start for me, I almost gave up but its picking up now and Im liking it.

I don't know if anyone has said anything about this but the intro song is AWESOME!!
Im not one to listen to video game soundtracks but this song is tough as nails. That violin really wails

I just got this from Gamefly today but probably won't be able to play it until tomorrow, so is the general consensus from those here that have played it that WKC plays like a slower FFXII with a cliched JRPG coat of paint for the story and setting?

Played it for about 2 hours so far, it feels very much like FF11 Online. I like it so far, some areas has screen tearing but its not too bad.
Add me!
Online ID: LemonyApple
Character: Myv

I played about an hour last night. It really feels like a JRPG. A lot of the character designs are just bad, but the levels themselves look really good. The water in the first level looks pretty real. It's stupid your created character doesn't say a word, but just moves his hands and stuff. Combat is fun, and you seem to unlock plenty of moves with each level up. The combat does remind me of FF12 a bit. I'm still trying to get the hang of it though. I'll be putting in a lot more time today.

Yeah, just send me a B-Mail on Geonet with a friend request (it tells you how in the Help).If you just straight up send a friend request I don't get notification.

dallow

I just read the 1up review. Only one paragraph for the multiplayer, and half of it is used to bitch about the terms of service and having no friends. There is no mention of town building at all. At the end of the review he complains about it being "overly short". What a joke. This has to be one of the most badly reviewed games that I can remember. None of them seem to know what they're talking about and they don't include a lot of details.

Anyway, I finally got to the GeoNet part. Feel free to add me at BigTuna89.

I added you guys. Dallow I was too lazy to figure out how to send a friend request by b-mail so i just added you and then sent you a b-mail, which was ridiculously annoying to type and I didn't really even type anything.

So, what did everyone make their character? I went for a mage. I'm in the process of mastering both staff and elemental magic. I've yet to run into another mage online.

My one complaint is that the AoE spells are terrible. It's really hard to manage to actually hit more than one enemy.

I'm having a lot of fun with this game so far. I'm only level 20 right now, but any of you can feel free to friend me.

inusama.World
My character's name in-game is Taiga

Still waiting for my copy from Amazon. How difficult are people finding the game. Is there any challenge at all, such as tough boss fights or anything of that sort?

Yup, like the others have said, it's been pretty much smooth sailing. There's nothing a little level grinding can't help.

The online quests can get a bit difficult if you're grouped with a bunch of low levels that didn't heed the recommended level suggestion though.

I'm 16 hours in and I haven't died once. I think it's a bit too easy in my opinion, but still fun and worth playing.

I'm 7 hours or so into single player. Let me say I highly disagree with reviewers, I'm really enjoying the game. I like the story so far. Once I got the hang of the battles, they are growing on me now. Soundtrack is decent (typical Level 5 music).

While I shouldn't say this, I definitely like it more than Demon's Soul (the game just suits me much more). Gives me that classic RPG feel. :D I'll eventually play online.
[quote name='Blackout']I just read the 1up review. Only one paragraph for the multiplayer, and half of it is used to bitch about the terms of service and having no friends. There is no mention of town building at all. At the end of the review he complains about it being "overly short". What a joke. This has to be one of the most badly reviewed games that I can remember. None of them seem to know what they're talking about and they don't include a lot of details.

Anyway, I finally got to the GeoNet part. Feel free to add me at BigTuna89.[/QUOTE]It makes me mad when people read the reviews and assume its an MMO RPG with zero storyline. When I played it,I was pleasantly surprised by the story. Yeah it may have some issues and be a little chessy, but its definitely better than the storyline I've seen in the majority of JRPGs and the cutscenes are decent. So many of its reviews are badly written, where I feel the game deserves at least a 7.

Yeah I'm playing this now and I like the multiplayer a lot more. I like playing with other people, being able to freely communicate with them.

The single player is a little boring though. I wish you could do online co-op of the main quest, but whatev. Still havin' fun.

Does somebody motivated want to get a full list of names going? Ill get around to it eventually if no one else does but Ive got a lot of schooling and gaming to do.

I added a few of you last night, go ahead and add me if ou didnt get one from me, Hammik.

[quote name='IRHari']Yeah I'm playing this now and I like the multiplayer a lot more. I like playing with other people, being able to freely communicate with them.

The single player is a little boring though. I wish you could do online co-op of the main quest, but whatev. Still havin' fun.[/QUOTE]
I dunno, I'm finding single quite enjoyable, but I tend to prefer single player over multi-player any day.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']its easy as hell, actually

online is supposed to be a little harder, but i havent tried the online quests yet[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is easy online. If anyone wants a challenge, solo GR7+ quests. If you go with a group there, at least farming the memorial servant (GR7) makes for great farming.

I friended Knightsdwn, Shinchibijosh, and soujiro. none of them have accepted my friend request. off i go to throw myself off a cliff.

I would like some friends, too, please.

PSN: SuperPhillip

Let's play online. I've never tried yet.
Can you use the PS3 headset with this game?

[quote name='IRHari']I friended Knightsdwn, Shinchibijosh, and soujiro. none of them have accepted my friend request. off i go to throw myself off a cliff.[/QUOTE]

When did you friend me? If you don't send me a b-mail, it doesn't alert me.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']I would like some friends, too, please.

PSN: SuperPhillip

Let's play online. I've never tried yet.
Can you use the PS3 headset with this game?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you can use the headset.

Well, you can go online using GeoNet then you can make a room in your town or go to a room in a random person's town or a friend's. Or, whenever you buy a quest at the adventurer places in towns, the option will show up on the world map to go to that quest, and it'll ask you solo or multiplayer. If you choose multiplayer it will automatically set you up with a group of people.

My PSN id is Spyder187. Id love some invites for friends etc for this game to do some questing etc.

On a side note I have to say I am loving this game. The only downside i see for WKC is the fact it came out 1 month prior to FFXIII. Pretty much any rpg will take a backseat to that come March 9th. Also, as far as mediocre online gaming site review scroes, who really takes those things seriously and decides what to buy based on them? I made that mistake a time or 2 and found out over a year later that i had missed out on some games i really enjoyed. This goes for X-play and that dumbass retard Adam Sessler as well. It seems if the publisher/developers dont kiss thier asses they pretty much try to bury a game. Most recent examply being Darksiders.

I played wkc all day yesterday and I am enjoying it a lot!!! gameplay took me a while to get use to but I think I got it now! I've only done one online quest which was interesting. also I luv playing with the white knight!! freaking epic moving around with that giant beast XD

Anyone wanna add me my geonet is Oni_saru (or Oni_saru.Island not too sure which one you need)

Oh and thanks again dallow! If it wasn't for you, I'd still be waiting to play such an awesome game XD

[quote name='IRHari']I friended Knightsdwn, Shinchibijosh, and soujiro. none of them have accepted my friend request. off i go to throw myself off a cliff.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even check my friend list in a while. But I will accept when I play again later tonight so don't throw yourself off a cliff :p

No. You have to add them through the GeoNet menu. And you have to send them a b-mail (by opening the submenu with triangle, I think) or it doesn't tell them you added them in any way.

That's an oversight. It's okay though. I can't complain.
Thanks, ChibiJosh. You seem to be right there when I have a question!

if you're on geonet when someone friend requests you, you can approve/disapprove right away because you get a popup message

Sorry! I've been studying, finishing up ME2, and watching the Super Bowl all day ;). Not very productive but I'll make sure to add you as soon as I get a chance.

bread's done
Back