White screen= bad video card??

mombbsmj

CAG Newbie
I have a fairly old video card, Geforce Ti 4200 128mb. Lately my computer has randomly crashed with a white screen. I can usually hear the game so the sound is still working but I have to reboot my computer in order to get rid of the white screen. Is this my video card going out?

If so, I don't have the money for a new computer, what is the best AGP card I can get that doesn't cost a lot?

Thanks!

The computer is an AMD Athlon 2000+ 1.7GHz, 1 gig of ram, and running WinXP. I use the computer a lot for the internet and it has never white screened while online. As for the white screen timing it seems to happen randomly. I can play either 5 minutes or up to an hour. It's never done it immediately. I just got a new power supply and hard drive a couple of months ago. Thanks for trying to help.

I think that dtarasev is right and it is overheating , is your video card overclocked? I got that same error once when I had my video card overclocked and it was getting to hot.

Also as for AGP cards the Nvidia 6800 AGP card is great(I have the PCI version of it.) and will play most all games no problem and should only run you about a hundred dollars.

[quote name='darthbudge']I think that dtarasev is right and it is overheating , is your video card overclocked? I got that same error once when I had my video card overclocked and it was getting to hot.

Also as for AGP cards the Nvidia 6800 AGP card is great(I have the PCI version of it.) and will play most all games no problem and should only run you about a hundred dollars.[/QUOTE]

My video card is not overclocked and never has been as far as I know. My brother had it before me and I don't think he overclocked it. Is there a way to stop it from happening if the fan is working and it's not overclocked? Maybe I'll be videocard shopping today. One more question though. Would the 6800 run fine on my computer?

Yes the 6800 would just fine and since I was just looking for video cards I have some links that I could give you.

For ATI this would be a good card but still couldn't many of the real top notch games but it is only 80 dollars. http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4303475?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

For Nvidia this would be a good card that could play some top notch games but is slightly more expensive. http://www.amazon.com/XFX-GeForce-XTreme-256MB-PVT42KUDE3/dp/B000FS7CDA/sr=8-1/qid=1167670440/ref=pd_bbs_1/105-7349708-8644415?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Personaly I recomend going with Nvidia unless you are willing to shell out more then 300 dollars.

EDIT: Btw trying opening your PC and clean out your Fan and see if it keeps giving you the error although I would just go with getting a new video card since yours is pretty old.

bread's done
Back