White (wii compatible/matching) first party Gamecube controller $24.90 from Play-Asia

Jaket

CAGiversary!
Feedback
214 (99%)
Its cord is also longer than the Gamecube's controllers abysmally short cord. It's now a more acceptable 10 feet long, which is a nice bonus.

If I hadn't bought a platinum controller awhile back I would def. get this as it matches the wii much better...then again I barely play the system and have never used the gc controller I do have...still pretty hot though...

[quote name='Short Round']Its cord is also longer than the Gamecube's controllers abysmally short cord. It's now a more acceptable 10 feet long, which is a nice bonus.[/QUOTE]did not know that. ::in for one::.

[quote name='fireklam']but can you use japanese gamecube controller on U.S wii?[/quote]

Read the last line under the features list on the items page.

[quote name='Trenchalicious']I'm not giving Nintendo money for the same controller with a new color that I bought 4 years ago.[/quote]

Haha. I'd look at it as a replacement for controllers that are slowly breaking. Melee tends to do that...

This controller is dead sexy, but I barely play the Wii as is (even brawl bores me now), so it'd be a total waste. Oh, well.

[quote name='Trenchalicious']I'm not giving Nintendo money for the same controller with a new color that I bought 4 years ago.[/quote]

I'm a Nintendo fan, but you're right. This is just an uneeded new product designed to get more money out of the system. All Nintendo really needs to do is start manufacturing the wavebird wireless controller again and make it fully compatible with the wii in a system/firmware update. The only thing you can't do with the wavebird now is navigate the system. You have to use the wiimote to get to the game that supports a gamecube controller before you can actually use the wavebird. A system update to add full compatibility would be very easy to do and the original wavebird came in a creamy white color in addition to the platimum one that would go well with the Wii. Who wants a corded controller in this day and age anyway?

[quote name='djkunai']Oh my god HOTNESS I want to bang you![/quote]

I wouldn't mind double dipping if it was a white wavebird. :bouncy:

shuma gorath's pupil;4266566]I'm a Nintendo fan said:
The wavebird uses plain RF at 900MHz, IIRC. The Wii uses Bluetooth at 2.4GHz. Personally, I wish they had made a new Wavebird that used BT and had rumble, but there was no way the old ones were going to be integrated with the Wii.

I still don't get why the wouldn't just release white wavebird controllers, unless they will do that after they've sold a bunch of these.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I still don't get why the wouldn't just release white wavebird controllers, unless they will do that after they've sold a bunch of these.[/quote]

NOW you're understanding the thought process of Nintendo. The longer cord will have a bunch of people buying these. Once that dries up, we'll see a Wavebird.

Their new motto: "Nintendo, now we're playing with power."

Sad part is...I applaud them for it every step of the way...

[quote name='Ryukahn']I still don't get why the wouldn't just release white wavebird controllers, unless they will do that after they've sold a bunch of these.[/QUOTE]

My guess is a new coat of paint and a longer cord for the Cube pads is almost free, and making the Wavebird work nicely with the Wii requires actual investment.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I still don't get why the wouldn't just release white wavebird controllers, unless they will do that after they've sold a bunch of these.[/quote]

These were obviously released for Brawl and hardcore Brawl players are known to use wired controllers so my guess is that Nintendo wanted to give hardcore players a controller and the rest of us just have to adapt to that.

[quote name='yourlefthand']2 things:

How do you know it would be an easy firmware update?

When did the wavebird come in a creamy white color? I've only seen grey and platinum.[/quote]

Come on, you honestly don't think it would be hard to integrate the wavebird controller with the Wii do you? It's called a patch. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo do it all the time for various other small and big improvements. Think Sony with making old games that weren't previously compatible with rumble now compatible with new dualshock 3 with patches. Think Microsoft making old xbox games that weren't previously playable on the 360 now playable. Different things done in a similiar fashion. Read the article on Joystiq entitled "big wii annoyances that are simple to fix." Wavebird integration is front and center in the article and all it would take on behalf of Nintendo is a simple patch to allow you to navigate the wii menu with the wavebird. Nuff said!

kinda of topic but whats wrong with there contac us on play asia every time i try to send them a message it says one or more of the required fields have not been filed and they are any one have any suggestions.

shuma gorath's pupil;4267667 said:
Come on, you honestly don't think it would be hard to integrate the wavebird controller with the Wii do you? It's called a patch. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo do it all the time for various other small and big improvements. Think Sony with making old games that weren't previously compatible with rumble now compatible with new dualshock 3 with patches. Think Microsoft making old xbox games that weren't previously playable on the 360 now playable. Different things done in a similiar fashion. Read the article on Joystiq entitled "big wii annoyances that are simple to fix." Wavebird integration is front and center in the article and all it would take on behalf of Nintendo is a simple patch to allow you to navigate the wii menu with the wavebird. Nuff said!

don't be so demanding. you don't have the technical know-how of how the wii works. it's really easy to say that it's a simple fix, but do you actually know how they would go about it? there's no telling how long it would take to QA the patch, what kind of bugs they'd run into. it also undermines the basic point and click based interface of the wii.

I just don't see this happening any time soon.

stop throwing around words like "small" "patch" "simple" and "update", because it doesn't sound like you truly grasp what it means to deploy a software update across millions of consoles worldwide with hundreds of different pieces of software running on eacha nd every one of them, as well as multiple hardware revisions.

[quote name='rpepper']NOW you're understanding the thought process of Nintendo. The longer cord will have a bunch of people buying these. Once that dries up, we'll see a Wavebird.

Their new motto: "Nintendo, now we're playing with power."

Sad part is...I applaud them for it every step of the way...[/quote]

It's terrible, I never thought of it like this. You have to respect Nintendo's ability as a moneymaker, but I swear, they just trample on their fans all the freaking time. I suppose I shall be waiting (though not eagerly) for the white wavebird. I bet it will be $45 or $50 retail...

[quote name='tsunami_bomb3r'] stop throwing around words like "small" "patch" "simple" and "update", because it doesn't sound like you truly grasp what it means to deploy a software update across millions of consoles worldwide with hundreds of different pieces of software running on eacha nd every one of them, as well as multiple hardware revisions.[/quote]

Multiple hardware revisions aside, the firmware is plenty standard. They could just release wavebirds with a mini CD that has the latest firmware with wavebird support. Likely they won't do this, because that's too easy, and they half-ass everything they release. The probable scenario - they'll make a new game with this firmware and everyone will be forced to buy it to upgrade their Wiis. Then they'll claim some sort of supply deficiency and that game will be super limited supply, and you'll have to pay up the ass for it. Hey, it could happen.

Ah, went ahead and bought one. Kinda expensive, but I need another controller anyways. The longer cord and the white color is a nice bonus. Thanks OP!

[quote name='tsunami_bomb3r']don't be so demanding. you don't have the technical know-how of how the wii works. it's really easy to say that it's a simple fix, but do you actually know how they would go about it? there's no telling how long it would take to QA the patch, what kind of bugs they'd run into. it also undermines the basic point and click based interface of the wii.

I just don't see this happening any time soon.

stop throwing around words like "small" "patch" "simple" and "update", because it doesn't sound like you truly grasp what it means to deploy a software update across millions of consoles worldwide with hundreds of different pieces of software running on eacha nd every one of them, as well as multiple hardware revisions.[/quote]

Oh you're right, it's just so wrong of me to expect Nintendo to step up to the plate and allow gamers who supported the gamecube and have a wavebird lying around to put out a firmware update through wiiconnect24 to allow me to be able to use it to navigate the wii menu when I intend to use it to play a game that supports it.:roll: Please! That's what firmware updates are for. Hell that's what wiiconnect24 is for. To provide neccessary updates to formats and fix bugs and allow for incompatible code to become compatible. It's alright to like Nintendo, but you need to call a spade a spade. It's laziness on behalf of Nintendo as well as a reason to get people to shell out for another controller they really don't need. I guess atleast it actually is a controller instead of a plastic shell! You can say it's not a simple fix all you want, but it is relativley easy for a company with over 2 decades of hardware experience and massive amounts of mulah to provide an update for the system THEY developed. If you can already use the wavebird to play old gamecube games and current wii games that allow for it on the wii, how hard do you think it is to provide an firmware update to extend that functionality over to the wii menu? Seriously!

And as for your point about undermining the basic point and click interface of the wii, what i'm talking about is the annoyance of having to use your wiimote to navigate through the systems menu to the game that you intend to play with the wavebird and then put that down and pick up your wavebird to start playing the game. You should just be able to navigate the menu with the wavebird entirely instead of needing 2 controllers. If you intend to use the wiimote for the game, than it isn't a big deal because you'll only need that, but you shouldn't need to use the wiimote to get to the game to use the wavebird with. It's just stupid. But whatever man. I guess you like annoyances that don't have to be. Nintendo has always lagged behind Sony and Microsoft when it comes to an online structure. Friend codes anyone. (End Rant!!:lol:)

shuma gorath's pupil;4269821 said:
Oh you're right, it's just so wrong of me to expect Nintendo to step up to the plate and allow gamers who supported the gamecube and have a wavebird lying around to put out a firmware update through wiiconnect24 to allow me to be able to use it to navigate the wii menu when I intend to use it to play a game that supports it.:roll: Please! That's what firmware updates are for. Hell that's what wiiconnect24 is for. To provide neccessary updates to formats and fix bugs and allow for incompatible code to become compatible. It's alright to like Nintendo, but you need to call a spade a spade. It's laziness on behalf of Nintendo as well as a reason to get people to shell out for another controller they really don't need. I guess atleast it actually is a controller instead of a plastic shell! You can say it's not a simple fix all you want, but it is relativley easy for a company with over 2 decades of hardware experience and massive amounts of mulah to provide an update for the system THEY developed. If you can already use the wavebird to play old gamecube games and current wii games that allow for it on the wii, how hard do you think it is to provide an firmware update to extend that functionality over to the wii menu? Seriously!

And as for your point about undermining the basic point and click interface of the wii, what i'm talking about is the annoyance of having to use your wiimote to navigate through the systems menu to the game that you intend to play with the wavebird and then put that down and pick up your wavebird to start playing the game. You should just be able to navigate the menu with the wavebird entirely instead of needing 2 controllers. If you intend to use the wiimote for the game, than it isn't a big deal because you'll only need that, but you shouldn't need to use the wiimote to get to the game to use the wavebird with. It's just stupid. But whatever man. I guess you like annoyances that don't have to be. Nintendo has always lagged behind Sony and Microsoft when it comes to an online structure. Friend codes anyone. (End Rant!!:lol:)

Yep. Please end rant. As was already said, you don't have the technical knowledge of the wii to be able to say that it is a simple fix. For all you know, the fixes that sony and MS make were pre-engineered as selling points. IE, they planted the bugs themselves so that they could fix them and build loyalty and the illusion of giving a crap about what the consumers want.

[quote name='yourlefthand']As was already said, you don't have the technical knowledge of the wii to be able to say that it is a simple fix.[/quote]

The irony of that statement is that you don't know that it's not, sooooo yeeeah:applause:

[quote name='yourlefthand']For all you know, the fixes that sony and MS make were pre-engineered as selling points. IE, they planted the bugs themselves so that they could fix them and build loyalty and the illusion of giving a crap about what the consumers want.[/quote]

Wow that sounds like fanboy logic to me. I like Nintendo, but I won't just act like everything and every choice they make is the right one or the best one for the consumer. I'll leave that to the fanboys, but I will say that practically every gaming site and blog from Joystiq, Gamepro, and 1up, to Kotaku, Destructoid, and IGN have stated in their list of things Nintendo could do to improve the user experience on the wii that Nintendo should update the wavebird with a firmware update to allow full compatibility with the menus. Read Joystiq's article "Nintendo Wii's big annoyances that require little fixes" article. When every major gaming site is saying it would be a simple firmware fix, i'm willing to take thier word for it. Look, it really comes down to this. If you already have partial compatibility on the wii with the wavebird IE playing old gamecube games and certain new wii games, than full compatibility isn't that hard to achieve. The only thing it can't do is navigate the menus. It's not like the controller doesn't work at all on the system. It's just a judgement call from Nintendo as to whether to do it or not and since they ended the production on the wavebirds awhile back, they probably just don't care. There too busy making various plastic shells to hold the wiimote in.:roll:

It should be a simple fix. How simple I don't know but should not be that hard to do. I have yet to use a Gamecube controller on the Wii but seeing how no one is bitching about not being able to use it in the menues I am going to assume it works. Unless the update for the wavebird causes more issues then the intended fix I don't see why this can not be done. This is something that should have been done from day one and they know this. So chances are they have the fix and 1) it causes more issues as of now then what it is to fix or 2) they have something planed for in the future.

As for MS and Sony "planting" bugs in their software just to update it later is bullshit. No programmer would knowingly do that. Atleast not that I know of. Now leting some bugs that are not that big of an issue at the time or their fix cause more issues then the bugs do, get out is different. Chances are Sony and MS knew at the time when the code was being written the direction they wanted to go at some point and knew they would make updates. Thats what updates are for.

Nintendo could realease a BT Wavebird, but it won't happen.

I'm sure they can easily patch any hardware problems with older units. Nintendo designed all of the hardware and controllers. They have all of the technical information, the code and other necessary tools to create patches. The Wii architecture is vastly similar to the GameCube. Employess of the company have gained a lot of knowledge and experience with the hardware setup from the last generation. The environment is perfect for them to create patches. People writing about the difficulties of a patch are essentially clueless.

It's a simple matter, but they don't want to do it. There might be financial or other reasons. Maybe, they don't want a controller to undermine the Wii+Chuck setup. Perhaps, they are milking the cow on older controller models. Possibly, Wavebird demand is not high enough.

I have noticed one thing: Nintendo is behind the curve on a lot of issues, but seem to get a free pass most of the time. I think Sony and MS take a lot more heat for similar issues or problems.

On a final note, I don't understand why people bitch at others who demand higher quality, efficiency or better products. Consumers should demand more and better, otherwise, we will be left in the cold. By complaining or not buying products, consumers move the market toward equilibrium. Sometimes, companies win out. Other times, buyers black-ball the companies. Corporations are not necessarily out to get us, but they will take advantage of our complacency for one simple reason: it's profitable. :dunce:

I do find it odd that a GCN controller can control all VC games and the obvious Gamecube games, but when plugged into the Wii it does nothing for the Wii Channels, when you can clearly use the classic controller to navigate.

I don't know anything about programming.. or patches.. or anything in that ballpark, but it seems like an update would be fairly simple, IMO.

shuma gorath's pupil;4271048 said:
The irony of that statement is that you don't know that it's not, sooooo yeeeah:applause:

Wow that sounds like fanboy logic to me. I like Nintendo, but I won't just act like everything and every choice they make is the right one or the best one for the consumer. I'll leave that to the fanboys, but I will say that practically every gaming site and blog from Joystiq, Gamepro, and 1up, to Kotaku, Destructoid, and IGN have stated in their list of things Nintendo could do to improve the user experience on the wii that Nintendo should update the wavebird with a firmware update to allow full compatibility with the menus. Read Joystiq's article "Nintendo Wii's big annoyances that require little fixes" article. When every major gaming site is saying it would be a simple firmware fix, i'm willing to take thier word for it. Look, it really comes down to this. If you already have partial compatibility on the wii with the wavebird IE playing old gamecube games and certain new wii games, than full compatibility isn't that hard to achieve. The only thing it can't do is navigate the menus. It's not like the controller doesn't work at all on the system. It's just a judgement call from Nintendo as to whether to do it or not and since they ended the production on the wavebirds awhile back, they probably just don't care. There too busy making various plastic shells to hold the wiimote in.:roll:

OK, so we both know that neither of us know if it would be a simple fix or not. You state that it would be simple, I mention that it might not be, and since neither of us will ever know we might as well just let this thread get back on topic.

I will admit that the planted bugs theory seems a little off. From a PR perspective, though, if you knew ahead of time that there were hardware issues that would only allow you to make 150 xbox games run on the 360, would you release them all at once, or would you stick them out a few at a time. As long as you seem to be working on it, the game blogs will mostly leave you alone about it, so you might as well take advantage of that by slowly releasing updates.

Oh, and do you have any pics of the white wavebird you mentioned?

[quote name='opportunity777']Nintendo could realease a BT Wavebird, but it won't happen.

I'm sure they can easily patch any hardware problems with older units. Nintendo designed all of the hardware and controllers. They have all of the technical information, the code and other necessary tools to create patches. The Wii architecture is vastly similar to the GameCube. Employess of the company have gained a lot of knowledge and experience with the hardware setup from the last generation. The environment is perfect for them to create patches. People writing about the difficulties of a patch are essentially clueless.

It's a simple matter, but they don't want to do it. There might be financial or other reasons. Maybe, they don't want a controller to undermine the Wii+Chuck setup. Perhaps, they are milking the cow on older controller models. Possibly, Wavebird demand is not high enough.

I have noticed one thing: Nintendo is behind the curve on a lot of issues, but seem to get a free pass most of the time. I think Sony and MS take a lot more heat for similar issues or problems.

On a final note, I don't understand why people bitch at others who demand higher quality, efficiency or better products. Consumers should demand more and better, otherwise, we will be left in the cold. By complaining or not buying products, consumers move the market toward equilibrium. Sometimes, companies win out. Other times, buyers black-ball the companies. Corporations are not necessarily out to get us, but they will take advantage of our complacency for one simple reason: it's profitable. :dunce:[/quote]

Amen brotha!

As much as I would hate to bog down the Wii forum with this "debate"...there is a whole thread devoted to this new controller.

Can we stay on topic about the deal in this thread?

bread's done
Back