Who cares if Carrie Prejean is against gay marriage?

rickonker

CAGiversary!
So Carrie Prejean, Miss California USA, caused some controversy when Perez Hilton asked her about gay marriage during the Miss USA pageant.

Well I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. Um, we live in a land that you can choose same sex marriage or opposite marriage and, you know what, in my country and in, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there. But that's how I was raised and that's how I think that it should be between a man and a woman.

Perez Hilton is gay and later called her a "dumb bitch" and posted a photoshopped picture of her doing something with a penis.

This was a fucking stupid way to respond. Supporters should've just gone with the whole "beauty queens are stupid" thing, without actually saying it, so, by extension, opposing gay marriage should be seen as stupid.

Instead, Perez Hilton has now made her seem polite, and of course she's a hot girl. So now supporters are perceived as rude and ugly, while someone who opposed gay marriage was polite and hot.

This is not the first time I've seen a supporter of gay marriage do something to hurt the cause. But I don't think they can fuck this up completely. Gay marriage will be legal throughout the US. It's just a matter of time.

That's just how Perez Hilton is. He draws penises on people. But if he wants people to take him more seriously on important shit like this then maybe he should stop drawing penises on pictures of people when there is a serious issue. I agree with your post pretty much 100%. He fucked this up. At the very least he could have been classier about his opposition to it instead of resorting to his usual juvenile tactics. They are ok when we are just talking stupid shit about a celebrity, but not when we're talking about something that actually means something. So basically, he is an idiot for not understanding the difference.

[quote name='rickonker']
Perez Hilton is gay and later called her a "dumb bitch" and posted a photoshopped picture of her doing something with a penis.[/quote]
That's the opposite of gay.

[quote name='cochesecochese']That's the opposite of gay.[/QUOTE]
What? I meant Perez Hilton is actually gay.

Yeah I don't see the point in doing anything. Everybody knows these chicks are stupid, I think it's a requirement for the competition.

Wow! I'm impressed. She totally avoided giving a vapid and politically correct answer about how we should all be equal, etc. Instead of kowtowing to the altar of political correctness, she told him what she felt and he couldn't handle it! Beautiful!

It's not gonna make the PC liberal weanies happy, but I think I'm in love... ;)

[quote name='BigT']Wow! I'm impressed. She totally avoided giving a vapid and politically correct answer about how we should all be equal, etc. Instead of kowtowing to the altar of political correctness, she told him what she felt and he couldn't handle it! Beautiful!

It's not gonna make the PC liberal weanies happy, but I think I'm in love... ;)[/quote]

Actually I think she did both, in pretty much the same way a politician would. And you know for damn sure she probably won't say anything that isn't vapid during the entire course of the competition.

[quote name='BigT']Wow! I'm impressed. She totally avoided giving a vapid and politically correct answer about how we should all be equal, etc. Instead of kowtowing to the altar of political correctness, she told him what she felt and he couldn't handle it! Beautiful!

It's not gonna make the PC liberal weanies happy, but I think I'm in love... ;)[/QUOTE]

Did you read the first part of her answer? There's plenty of political correctness there. The rest is something I'll call "religious correctness". So really it's the worst of both worlds.

Perez Hilton is a superficial man from a superficial website judging a superficial contest.

I am for Gay Marriage but I don't agree with the bully pulpit tactics that Perez Hilton is using.

I'm in an opposite marriage, yay for me!

She's claiming that she lost the competition because of her opposition to gay marriage. While it may or may not be true (she certainly alienates herself by choosing a side), her answer was just several levels of stupid. It's weird; she started off sounding like she might have had an okay, coherent answer.

I don't understand Perez Hilton's celebrity... how did he end up being a pageant judge?

This is Perez Hilton, he's famous for harassing people in their 5 minutes of fame to prolong his 30 seconds.

Also that answer was crap, way to stumble and contradict yourself.

[quote name='rickonker']Did you read the first part of her answer? There's plenty of political correctness there. The rest is something I'll call "religious correctness". So really it's the worst of both worlds.[/QUOTE]
The thing is her answer was factually incorrect. She basically said gays can get married throughout the country when they only can in a very small handful of states.

Who wants to help me start a gallery on my site of crudely-drawn penises on peoples pictures?

Seriously, this thread gave me a wonderful idea.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I don't understand Perez Hilton's celebrity... how did he end up being a pageant judge?[/quote]
You know you've made it when you're rubbing elbows with Mario Lopez, that chick from the Doritos commercial and John Stamos.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The thing is her answer was factually incorrect. She basically said gays can get married throughout the country when they only can in a very small handful of states.[/QUOTE]
Well, her answer was stupid, but I wouldn't say it was factually incorrect. She probably meant people can live in whichever state they like, or that people in each state can vote.

[quote name='zionoverfire']This is Perez Hilton, he's famous for harassing people in their 5 minutes of fame to prolong his 30 seconds.

Also that answer was crap, way to stumble and contradict yourself.[/QUOTE]

This.

Though I'm glad the dumb bitch lost and is getting mocked, to be honest.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Though I'm glad the dumb bitch lost and is getting mocked, to be honest.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because we should all be mocked for failing to hide our convictions.

[quote name='Magus8472']Yes, because we should all be mocked for failing to hide our convictions.[/QUOTE]

If your convictions fall in line with hers, yes, absolutely. :D

odd that shes gotten railed for giving an honest answer, one thats in line with the majority of california voters.

whos perez hilton? and why does he draw penises?

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']odd that shes gotten railed for giving an honest answer, one thats in line with the majority of california voters. [/quote]

Well some people see it as bigotry.

Maybe this will put it in perspective for you and BigT: what if she had said she thinks Christians are crazy fools for believing in an invisible superman of the sky. Would you be similarly upset at unfair treatment at the hands of persecution-complex Christians?

"I think that I believe" - probably the most honest prefix to a beauty pageant answer ever.

Perez Hilton is a bane on our society whose tactic and style of discussion and debate will bring is hurtling that much closer to "Idiocracy." Some people aren't worth debating, and some people are easy to get infuriated at over their level of stupidity. But taking a discussion style like this into a public area makes it more permissible, in the future, for debate rebuttals to consist of "you're a dumb bitch." He didn't make it any better for himself by suggesting he was using restraint in his reaction because he really want to call her a dumb cunt.

But perhaps he's seen his stock drop recently, and, like many other Limbaugh/Coulter types of media personalities, relied on doing something absurd and controversial in order to garner more attention for himself.

I love living in south, really. It allows me to make fun of these idiots and at the same time not be labeled a "yankee." Kinda like Bill Hicks used to do.

[quote name='JolietJake']I love living in south, really. It allows me to make fun of these idiots and at the same time not be labeled a "yankee." Kinda like Bill Hicks used to do.[/QUOTE]

Playing the Comedy Pouch in Possum Ridge next week, are we?

[quote name='camoor']Well some people see it as bigotry.

Maybe this will put it in perspective for you and BigT: what if she had said she thinks Christians are crazy fools for believing in an invisible superman of the sky. Would you be similarly upset at unfair treatment at the hands of persecution-complex Christians?[/QUOTE]

well im not upset about this first of all. i just find it ironic that shes getting all this heat for having the same mindset as a majority of california voters did last fall.

if some religious nut asked her if she belived in god and she said she doesnt because its stupid, i would be equally as upset. which is to say not at all upset.

both questions would have something in common, they are stupid questions. and the backlash from both groups getting so upset from a beauty pageant contestant not seeing eye to eye with them would be equally as stupid.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']if some religious nut asked her if she belived in god and she said she doesnt because its stupid, i would be equally as upset. which is to say not at all upset. [/QUOTE]

That doesn't quite hold; one's personal belief in God doesn't (explicitly) translate into a policy position.

A more precise analogy would be someone asking her if she felt cetain churches should be entitled to state recognition and not others.

[quote name='Magus8472']That doesn't quite hold; one's personal belief in God doesn't (explicitly) translate into a policy position.

A more precise analogy would be someone asking her if she felt cetain churches should be entitled to state recognition and not others.[/QUOTE]

its not the same, im just going off of what camoor said.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']its not the same, im just going off of what camoor said.[/QUOTE]

Ah. Well, either way, I agree with you.

The bigger issue here is that a question like that should never have been asked. Not for a contest that is supposed to be diverse and represent all types of American. No matter how the question is answered, it's going to ruffle feathers. Shit like that doesn't belong. It's Miss America, not a Presidential debate. Just ask her what she'd wish for if she found a magic genie lamp. If she says "World peace." she wins. If she says anything else, move on and ask the next girl until someone gets it right and crown her.

The fact that Perez Hilton was invited to participate in a pageant just proves how this entire controversy is a waste of fucking time. The Miss America tiara and sash combo has about the same value as a World's Greatest Grandpa coffee mug.

Perez Hilton can't claim he's a supporter of people being treated equally when his career revolves around shaming celebrities for cheap laughs. Even his name is tongue-in-cheek mockery. The guy is a just as much a vulture as that piece of shit that runs TMZ.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']The bigger issue here is that a question like that should never have been asked. Not for a contest that is supposed to be diverse and represent all types of American. No matter how the question is answered, it's going to ruffle feathers. Shit like that doesn't belong. It's Miss America, not a Presidential debate. Just ask her what she'd wish for if she found a magic genie lamp. If she says "World peace." she wins. If she says anything else, move on and ask the next girl until someone gets it right and crown her.

The fact that Perez Hilton was invited to participate in a pageant just proves how this entire controversy is a waste of fucking time. The Miss America tiara and sash combo has about the same value as a World's Greatest Grandpa coffee mug.

Perez Hilton can't claim he's a supporter of people being treated equally when his career revolves around shaming celebrities for cheap laughs. Even his name is tongue-in-cheek mockery. The guy is a just as much a vulture as that piece of shit that runs TMZ.[/QUOTE]
But then, why should any questions be asked (assuming the contest should even exist)? Just have the hot girls do their thing and get to voting. They're being judged on their brains, not their brains.

[quote name='mykevermin']Playing the Comedy Pouch in Possum Ridge next week, are we?[/quote]
I'll never make the Opry.:cry:

It's a shame to see someone get punished for an honest answer. What ever happened to free speech? Not everyone wants to bow down to the gays.

I'm not for or against gay marriage (because it doesn't concern me in the slightest bit), but I just think that it's ridiculous that someone can't have their own opinion about a controversial issue and not get berated by others.

[quote name='The Crotch']Berating someone else != stealing their free speech.

Or do they not have the free speech to criticize?[/QUOTE]

Depends.

Though, in this case, yes.

[quote name='mykevermin']"bow down to the gays"?

Could you come up with a less ridiculous way of phrasing the provision of equal rights to our citizens?[/quote]
Yes, I suppose that I phrased that in a somewhat ridiculous way, but this isn't really about gay rights, it is more about the right of a person to be allowed to have their own opinion.

In this particular scenario, the contestant stated her views on gay marriage in response to a question asked by a biased gay judge (Perez Hilton), and because of her answer she lost the contest. Doesn't really seem fair, does it?

Well ok, that is your opinion (whether it actually is or not). But unless you get kicked off of the forums for stating your opinion (which is basically what happened to the contestant), then it's not quite the same.

bread's done
Back