Who doesn't have health insurance?

Gives me a kick in the ass to reevaluate what I actually have, or don't have, on my plan. I just took whatever awile ago with no advice.

What do you fellow self employed people do? I live in Maryland if it means anything. I would assume find a local agent, where would you recommend I pick one up?

[quote name='BigPopov']Gives me a kick in the ass to reevaluate what I actually have, or don't have, on my plan. I just took whatever awile ago with no advice.

What do you fellow self employed people do? I live in Maryland if it means anything. I would assume find a local agent, where would you recommend I pick one up?[/QUOTE]

Well if your self employed.. do you carry business insurance on your business? If so start there, if not start at the agency you get your home and auto from..

And yeah a local agent wont be more than direct. For instance switching to personal lines (personal home auto, etc) we write with 20+ carriers and for example Progressive or AAA we get at the same rate you do direct.. so instead of paying the commission internally you get an outside rep.. why do that? Its simple an independant agent can move you to another carrier if the first carrier has a rate increase, etc. They are also experienced across multiple carriers and can let you know if the rate increase you got is normal or not.

On top of that the good agencies will typically have an internal claims rep that can fight on yoru behalf with the carrier if they get wishy washy on paying claims.. The internal claims rep has a lot less pull on medical insurance, but on other claims they surprisingly have some serious pull. On the medical side thats what your agent does is call their contacts and see what can be done, or direct you or your doctor how to get the claim to fall into a covered expense code, etc.

[quote name='Kendro']Truly a wealth of knowledge in this thread. I have decided to go with COBRA since it won't impact me too much financially. Thankfully my new job is paying me more.

Snake, I really appreciate you providing your expertise. For some reason I thought the local agents would charge more, not less. It is something I will definitely consider if I ever become unemployed or self-employed.

I think for now, since I will go off contract in 6 months and become a permanent employee, it is easier just to continue with my coverage and pay the extra cost without giving myself a headache.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, thanks for posting the topic. I haven't been covered in years and thought nothing of it but I think I should look into it....

As a doctor, I implore anyone who doesn't have health insurance to get it since you never know when you'll need it. There's nothing sadder than to care for young otherwise healthy patients hospitalized with serious illnesses who are uninsured........... and then after you fix them up, stiff me and the hospital on the bill and we're stuck writing off the charges.

So yes, please get health insurance!

[quote name='dopa345']As a doctor, I implore anyone who doesn't have health insurance to get it since you never know when you'll need it. There's nothing sadder than to care for young otherwise healthy patients hospitalized with serious illnesses who are uninsured........... and then after you fix them up, stiff me and the hospital on the bill and we're stuck writing off the charges.

So yes, please get health insurance![/QUOTE]

If I break my leg and you fix it, ballpark estimate, how much would my bill cost if you include all normal procedures and services?

I do have insurance and i am very happy about my plan, even though its only hmo.

The last time i had to use Cobra i needed to let the health coverage go to waste because it was to expensive to pay it. I just kept dental.

If you young it may be ok not to have an insurance but once you get older you don't know whats gonna happen. Well actually you never know so its better to have one no matter what.

All I can say is that if you dont carry insurance you need to take your ass to the gym. That is probably the only thing that has saved me through the years. I am in great shape with dozens of miles run, biked and constantly in the weight room.

Keep your health up, eat a little better so you dont really screw yourself.

[quote name='Kendro']If I break my leg and you fix it, ballpark estimate, how much would my bill cost if you include all normal procedures and services?[/QUOTE]Depends if you need surgery or not.

My guess is if you didn't need surgery, probably in the thousands. Surgery, tens of thousands or more.

[quote name='Soodmeg']All I can say is that if you dont carry insurance you need to take your ass to the gym. That is probably the only thing that has saved me through the years. I am in great shape with dozens of miles run, biked and constantly in the weight room.

Keep your health up, eat a little better so you dont really screw yourself.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't help with your genes. Think of cancer or other less dramatic illnesses.
My conviction is that everyone needs a coverage. Next day you may get sick and need help.
Gym is a good idea for general fitness.

[quote name='Kendro']If I break my leg and you fix it, ballpark estimate, how much would my bill cost if you include all normal procedures and services?[/QUOTE]

I am sure any doctor may differ on this opinion, but that is one huge advantage to health insurance..

If you have insurance you typically have a negotiated discount on the services. The doctors join "networks" and then agree to only charge so much for procedures, if their typical rate is higher you get a network discount,a nd they write off their charge above the contracted allowance.

I cannot stress enough that even if you have a high deductible plan of $5000 how much you will save in reality.

I'll try to keep this short. I had a group that decide on what they could afford to offer the employees was.

$7500 Deductible
50% Coinsurance for an additional $5000*
Discount Drug Card
$35 office visits
Urgent Care - Applies to Deductible/Coinsurance (no flat copays)
Emergency Room - Applies to Deductible/Coinsruance (no flat copays)

*Coinsurance- This is after deductible what you split "Coinsure" with the insurance company, This amount stops at a certain "stop Loss" or "Coinsurance Max" or "out of pocket maximum", then the plan pays 100% thereafter for a year per person in a family

So a single person on that plan, looking at a high level, would potentially owe $7500(deductible), then split the next (Coinsurance) $10,000 50% (Employee) /50% (Insurance Carrier) meaning they paid $5k of that. So they would be on the hook for $12,500 in any given year... ($7500 + $5000) That does not include office copays, RX, etc. Broad picture here.

So this plan was previously a $2500 deductible, but the owner moved it to a $7500 deductible (per person remember) for a monthly savings of $200 for his business. He had 10 employees, his shift of $5000 per employee for that small of savings was crazy, and I basically told him so.

Fast forward to 14 months later, an employees 11 year old son has an appendix rupture.. $35,000 bill.

Of that bill it got reduced to $19,000 just with the network discounts, again the negotiated write off the doctors had to take by joining that network. Then he owed $7500, and of the remaining 11,500 he owed $5000 and maxed out for the year (now that child is covered 100% for the rest of the year.)

$35,000
-$16,000 (Network Discount)
-----------
$19,000
-$7500 (Deductible)
-----------
$11,500
-$5000 (Employees Coinsurance max @ 50%)
-----------
$6500 (Insurance pays)

Yeah $12,500 sucks, but not as bad as $33,000 would have or even say $28,000 or whatever a possible "cash discount" would have brought him to.

The owner called me upset as he didnt know the actual exposure.. I showed him our paperwork from the year prior explaining it and his signature., then he recalled the multiple conversations, and said his employees were mad at him. He wanted to handle it when he returned from an out of state trip and look at alternate plans.

Needless to say the owner had an unexpected ER visit. He is now on the hook for like $10,000. And since he is met his deductible he is not moving the plan as it will cost the company more, we are looking again next year.

It can happen at any point, to anyone, for any reason, and it can literally ruin you life, and finances for the rest of your life.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are expected ER visits?

Someone I know had a high deductible insurance, and had cancer. Paid something like $12k~20k over several years, out of a total bill of well over $500k (possibly $750k+).

High deductible isn't stupid. It's clearly better than nothing.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I dont think anyone is saying its not better than nothing, I think they are saying that they are boinked either way. Especially if you are young because they wont be able to comprehend the difference between 20k and 500k. To a 25 year old both numbers are so out of touch they might as well be made up.

Its like trying to explain Thanksgiving to a Hungary Hungary Haitian.

For a young person (I think they call them The Young Invincible's) who only makes a couple hundred a month they would never be able to justify any of the money toward a plan that still wipes them out completely and ends with hundreds of thousands in debt anyway.[/QUOTE]

I think someone said don't get high deductible, get full COBRA.

I don't think it's fair to say 25 year-olds can't comprehend $20k and $500k. Maybe in denial that they won't have $500k net worth by 30, but I think most people know the difference.

But yes, the last point is true. When I didn't have insurance, $150 a month was a ton. It's not anymore, now that I'm out of school, but still, out caused me to go without for several months, as COBRA was $400+ a month. When you make $1000, it wasn't really even an option.

I am not saying that they are incompetent or something, everyone knows the difference between 20k and 500k by value. I am more comparing it to the millions of recent college grads to know that they are taking on tons of student loans but they dont really understand what it means until they are walking around with 50k in loans and defaulting like crazy.

At a certain point the money just all melts together and 10k might as well be 100k your not going to have enough to pay it anyway.

Bottom line is nobody needs insurance until they need insurance.

If you had a mortgage on your home and had insurance, would you stop paying for home-owner's insurance once you paid the mortgage off? Most people would cut the cost of insurance but that's a bad idea. Regardless of how much you have in the bank, if something were to happen to your house and you were not insured you would, more than likely, wipe out your entire savings account and then some. Now, if you had insurance your savings account would remain untouched and your insurance would, hopefully, cover any losses and/or damages.

I hated paying for car insurance until I had two not-at-fault accidents on my record. If I didn't have insurance I would've been screwed beyond belief.

I was on my parents health insurance till either 18 or 21, then signed up for individual coverage for a while. The rate on that just kept going up and up, so I eventually eliminated it. Then the local BC/BS subsidiary introduced a cheap alternative, where it mainly covered emergencies and maybe one or two office visits per year.

But just like the prior insurance I had, the rates kept going up because according to them 'people were overusing their plans'. All I know is I WASN'T, but I was being hit with increases because of the hypochondriacs who go to the doctor when they get a fuckin' splinter.:roll: So ever since then I've just been going to a local health clinic that's run once a week by the one university here, but only when I'm really sick usually.

Most times they even have supplies of the majority of medications, so if I need something they gimme a script for it from their own supply. It's nice, considering how much fuckin' prescriptions cost when you don't have insurance.:roll:

Mind ya, the one night I got a case of the gout that was so bad that I had to go to the ER. For the 6-7 hours I was there I ended up receiving bills totaling about $2000 or so because they had to do X-Rays and what not. I ended up applying for(and receiving) the state medical card that covered just that specific instance. Not that it woulda really mattered, since I'm one of the above mentioned people who doesn't have a pot to piss in and no real savings, so the hospital woulda eventually had to just eat the cost of my care.

haha Can tourists actually get free healthcare in Canada?

fuck these Republicans

In the movie 'Sicko', this lady went up there, used a fake address, and got some of her shit taken care of. But it was... SOCIALIZED MEDICINE!

bread's done
Back