Who else is fed up with Vista?

Again, I'm not sure why Vista seems to get such a bad rap. Annecdotally, most people that I know that 'have problems with Vista' are running ancient machines and felt it necessary to upgrade to Vista right away.

I beta tested almost every release of Vista on a separate partition and never had any issues. Since last Summer I've been using Vista x64 almost exclusivity and as of last month I only have Vista installed on my desktop. Most complaints always stem from driver support, but drivers need to be written by the HARDWARE manufacturer. Yet, no one seems to want to hate on HP, nVidia etc etc etc for their lack of drivers early on after Vista's release.

Certainly Vista hasn't lived up to the "hype" (?) with regards to DX10, Games for Windows and Games for Windows Live. But that is just as much the fault of the software vendors as it is Microsoft's. It also doesn't help GFW that Steam is so freaking awesome.

Windows ME was by far the worst MS OS I ever used and forced me to use Windows 2000 exclusively, even though that meant very limited game and driver support for about a year. Vista is NOTHING like Windows ME or the first release of '98.

the extremetech article is an interesting read
I had been holding off on building a new computer (for gaming) until vista ran games at least as well as xp. That barrier is now down. Would like to see tests with 3gb of memory on xp sp3 vs vista sp1.

bread's done
Back