Who here is still in love with CDs?

AshesofWake

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
in this age of digital whatever the fuck, ipods, zunes, blowjobs, etc., i still love the fact that i own the actual cds, and love popping them in, and just listening to an album all the way through, instead of picking my excruciating favorites for a play list or whatever. anybody else enjoy this weird pleasure? doesn't have to be cds either, maybe a vinyl record.

i just went through all my cds, the 100's of them i have and started popping them in, listening to whole albums. I feel like that aspect of listening to music is becoming dead now. it seems everybody just downloads, picks a few better songs, and that's the whole perspective of a band or group. I dunno, it feels good to just enjoy an album throughout whatever it may be.

I have "sorta" joined the digital age... I am downloading and making my own cd's. However, I understand how you feel. Every now and then, while listening to some very old cut by Run-DMC or Ice Cube, I think "I wish I still had that entire CD..." Not that I couldn't download the entire album.
On a related note, what's up with this confangled applying for jobs online???

yeah srsly, the digital age made things so impersonal, in a way of course its good and efficient, but it feels cold...i remember walking into stores and just picking up a cd saying "hell, this might not be so bad" or something...

CDs are so commonplace and bland that I'd rather not have one, since it'll just get in the way.

Vinyls, on the other hand, actually have value.

music is the one thing i prefer digital. not sure why. i want games and movies on dvds. i want to read a book not a kindle. and theres just something better about having a nice picture framed or flipping through a photoalbum. but music, i like my iphone and zen, i like streaming music off the computer or xbox. that being said i do listen to cds in my car a lot because when i make a short commute to work or the store its easier to listen to the cd i have in then to take the time to plug in my mp3 player, find an album, and pick a song.

I still buy all my music on CDs--eventhough I do the vast majority of listen with MP3s on my office computer or one of my mp3 players.

I just like having the physical CD. Probably have around 350-375 (haven't tracked them for years).

The only thing I've made the digital switch for is books with my Kindle. I seldom re-read a book so I hated wasting space (or hassling with selling/donating books or going to the library). And its great to be able to lug tons of books around on one device etc.--thought that's why I also love my MP3 player as it's great having my entire music collection in my pocket.

But music, movies and games I prefer physical discs.

While I do have the zune pass (because I listen to so much music it is more economically friendly on my budget), I do prefer cd's. There is just something about owning a physical disc of an album I like better than some digital copy.

Plus I get true cd quality audio on a cd and most of the time that is untrue for digital.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Still buy CD's. It just feels appropriate to me to actually own it in my hands.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to agree with this.

I'll stop buying CDs when they stop making them. Never have purchased an "mp3 album," never will unless I have no other choice.

[quote name='AshesofWake']I feel like that aspect of listening to music is becoming dead now. it seems everybody just downloads, picks a few better songs, and that's the whole perspective of a band or group. I dunno, it feels good to just enjoy an album throughout whatever it may be.[/QUOTE]
No argument here.

I still rather have a hard copy. I usually buy the cd listen to it on the way home then take it out the to car and put it on my iPod. After that I may listen to it again later on in the car but usually have Sirius pluged up.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Still buy CD's. It just feels appropriate to me to actually own it in my hands.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this. I also love the feel playing vinyl. It just makes the experience more enjoyable for me.

I still love CD's. I burn them to listen to when I drive, mostly comprised of music I downloaded from those free legal sources. Also, recently I've had a drive to collect bought Cd's.

I'm in the same boat. Its enjoyable to me to walk into a record store on a Tuesday and buy a brand new album that was just released. I can go home, open the wrapping, pop it in, read the booklet and admire the art/photography. Plus if something ever happens to my hard drive, It'll take forever to recover my collection. This way I have the physical album in that case.

I buy my music on CD so that I can actually own my music in a high quality lossless format. However, I do rip my music as FLAC files and then put them onto my computer/digital audio player.

CDs are the way to go. I prefer to have a tangible asset in my hands after paying for something. Besides, CDs are more versatile than digital copies. With a CD, I can:

1. Transfer to my computer
2. Transfer to an MP3 player
3. Tranfer to my PS3 or Xbox hard drive
4. Burn a copy for my car's CD player and not worry if it gets banged around
5. Burn a copy for home use
6. Burn a copy for a friend or family relative
7. Burn all of my CDs to a DVD+R for backup
8. Sync a copy to cassette if I desire

After I've done #1 through #7 above, I keep the CD which I paid for along with my others in pristine condition, never again to be touched, but rather to be displayed along with the rest of my music library. If my hard drive crashes, I still have the music and can repeat #1-7 if necessary! I can't do this with a download, and I won't have a tangible version of the music I paid for either.

CDs 100% unless digital copies suddenly become dirt cheap, and that has not happend yet.

I only buy CDs for bands I kinda collect anyway. Mainly just Tool because the packaging is so carefully thought out. Thatsa bout it. Amazon offers a high enough bitrate and no DRM, so I don't care to really buy physical albums regularly anymore. My ears are not good enough for me to be an audiophile. I'd just be wasting money.

Last one I bought was a Diplo album falsely advertised as some sort of Santogold release. Her fucking picture is on the back but she's only on a few songs and half of them are previously available remixes, other than that there's only one new song from her and she does a Clash pseudo-cover.

That's part of why I just stick to downloads. It's rare that an entire album is good anymore. I ripped all my albums and half of them I only pulled half the songs off. With downloads you can just shop a la carte. Much more convenient, and sure as shit a lot cheaper. There are drawbacks though...like when the song "All" by The Descendents costs the same $0.99 that "Dogs" by Pink Floyd costs.

This. I also tend to double-dip and go CD and Vinyl, or CD, Deluxe CD, vinyl. Or CD, Deluxe CD, Vinyl, CD I bought at a concert to get signed.

But I do most of my game buying on Steam now, as with recently needing fucking keycodes for everything, it's just easier to keep track of shit this way. One login, no 500 keycodes, no losing the one page of a manual, no needing to keep a ton of shit together. Games are no longer "take disc, put disc in, play"... stupid DRM forcing me to go digital.

Reminds me, I need to get Skold VS KMFDM still, nabbed Blitz the other day.

[quote name='georox']
Reminds me, I need to get Skold VS KMFDM still, nabbed Blitz the other day.[/QUOTE]
Skold Vs KMFDM was the much better offering this year from the Kapt'n (plus anytime he works with Skold they always seem to put out a better album). Blitz has a few songs here and there, but I didn't like it as much as some of their other offerings.

[quote name='bardockkun']Skold Vs KMFDM was the much better offering this year from the Kapt'n (plus anytime he works with Skold they always seem to put out a better album). Blitz has a few songs here and there, but I didn't like it as much as some of their other offerings.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree, but I missed preorder and had credit to burn at a brick and mortar store, Skold VS KMFDM wasn't an option :/ I'd order it now but the concert has priority.

Oh, and I had to buy this https://angelspit.net/hairsurgeon/Store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=178

[quote name='crunchb3rry'] Amazon offers a high enough bitrate and no DRM, so I don't care to really buy physical albums regularly anymore. [/QUOTE]

DRM is pretty much dead with music now. Even iTunes, as I understand it, is now 100% DRM free.

[quote name='bardockkun']Aw shit. Totally forgot their new CD is coming out. I Already got like four of five CD's I got to get in September alone and I'm seeing them October 9th so I figure probably best if I do get it so I can recognize the new stuff when they play it...[/QUOTE]

Yea, reason I bought it now instead of later, and I decided I needed Nurse Grenade, and the bundle tempted me...

I buy CDs, Vinyl and MP3s. I purchase whole albums from most artists unless it is some one hit wonder or joint I want. I will try to always listen to an album all the way through so I can get a feel for what the artist was trying to get across with their message. I really wish I could afford to have everything on Vinyl though because I just love kicking back with a drink and spinning the record and blending the next one in.

[quote name='steve_k']CDs are the way to go. I prefer to have a tangible asset in my hands after paying for something. Besides, CDs are more versatile than digital copies. With a CD, I can:

[/QUOTE]

lol, do you not think you can do those with mp3s?

and what the hell would you do with a cassette anyways?

I'm really surprised at all the responses in this thread. I have a co-worker in his early 20's who steals everything off the internet. He never buys music at all.

I on the other hand am the owner of over 800 cds. I have some great mom-and-pop records stores in my area and I always like checking them out. If I had a record player, I think I would prefer Vinyl...but thats one habit I don't need to start (my money is already spread out thin enough...).

I hope CD never dies. I have no love for Itunes.

I still love buying cd's. Like others have said, I like having a physical product. I don't want anything to do with iTunes. I've probably only bought a dozen mp3s. The only full album I've bought in mp3 form was They Might Be Giants' "Long Tall Weekend", because that's the only way it was available.

[quote name='Xevious']I'm really surprised at all the responses in this thread. I have a co-worker in his early 20's who steals everything off the internet. He never buys music at all.[/QUOTE]

Those are the people really destroying the music business. He should download all he wants and buy the stuff he really loves.

Even with the hundreds of CDs I own and buy, I now download some stuff to check it out before I plunk down my money, but best believe if I'm digging it, I go out and purchase.

I stopped buying cds a long time ago, but I have a hard time letting go of the ones I own now.

I've traded in a few here and there, but will likely keep most of them. My wife has XM/Sirius in her car (no iPod adapter), so I still like to take a few cds with me when I drive her vehicle.

[quote name='steve_k']CDs are the way to go. I prefer to have a tangible asset in my hands after paying for something. Besides, CDs are more versatile than digital copies. With a CD, I can:

After I've done #1 through #7 above, I keep the CD which I paid for along with my others in pristine condition, never again to be touched, but rather to be displayed along with the rest of my music library. If my hard drive crashes, I still have the music and can repeat #1-7 if necessary! I can't do this with a download, and I won't have a tangible version of the music I paid for either.

CDs 100% unless digital copies suddenly become dirt cheap, and that has not happened yet.[/QUOTE]

This, absolutely. I love my CDs (all my physical media, really) for the versatility, the convenience of having a permanent backup, and for having something to show off to other people. My CD collection isn't anything special, but I guarantee no one would gawk at my anime collection if it was files on an external as opposed to the massive wall of DVDs (1040 and counting!). I even just got a new 5-disc CD changer to have more of my discs accessible at once (well, that and I just really, really needed a new CD player- my previous one being an Audiovox portable with a rubber band holding the lid down, that I bought in 1995.)

I have nothing against the digital players, and I certainly see the appeal... but I don't really care for having one. Actually, I picked my cell phone specifically for ease of putting MP3s into it- and I rarely, if ever, make use of it! I don't typically take music out and about with me (just on long road trips), and having one for at home just means buying yet another electric device I have to plug in somewhere- I'm already up to an 8-outlet power and 14-outlet power strip setup, any more and I think I'll kill the fusebox. It's more fun going through the various forms of media I can play anyway- CD, casette, vinyl... we've even got a working 8-track player.

If I buy an album and theres no deluxe release/special versions, I'll buy it on vinyl. If theres a deluxe CD package, I'll buy that.

[quote name='AshesofWake']in this age of digital whatever the fuck, ipods, zunes, blowjobs, etc., i still love the fact that i own the actual cds, and love popping them in, and just listening to an album all the way through, instead of picking my excruciating favorites for a play list or whatever. anybody else enjoy this weird pleasure? doesn't have to be cds either, maybe a vinyl record.

i just went through all my cds, the 100's of them i have and started popping them in, listening to whole albums. I feel like that aspect of listening to music is becoming dead now. it seems everybody just downloads, picks a few better songs, and that's the whole perspective of a band or group. I dunno, it feels good to just enjoy an album throughout whatever it may be.[/QUOTE]

you're too young to complain about any of this.

[quote name='AshesofWake']i still love the fact that i own the actual cds, and love popping them in, and just listening to an album all the way through, instead of picking my excruciating favorites for a play list or whatever. anybody else enjoy this weird pleasure? doesn't have to be cds either, maybe a vinyl record.
[/QUOTE]

I'd add that even though most of my listening is to MP3s ripped from CDs I buy, I still 99.9% of the time listen to albums all the way through.

My MP3 player is basically an album jukebox that has every album I own on it. I don't have a single playlist made on it.

CDs suck.

Amazon MP3 has everything in DRM-free 256kbps MP3 which is good enough for me (even better if it's a younger band, they usually rip in LAME) and unlike a CD, I don't have to wait for it or figure out where to store the case or worry if it has gotten too scratched up.

You guys sound like the crazies who like to smell books and feel the texture of the paper on your fingers. Who cares about that shit? The whole point is to read the words and enjoy the story.

Also why do you have to "pick your favorites for a playlist or whatever" just because it is a MP3? I only listen to stuff in album format and I am basically digital only at the moment.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']but I guarantee no one would gawk at my anime collection if it was files on an external as opposed to the massive wall of DVDs (1040 and counting!)[/QUOTE]

:lol: Congrats you are the biggest loser

Last edited by a moderator:
I still buy and enjoy them. Rather than buying a whole entire MP3 album. I rip them to my PC (at 256kbps) and add the CD to my CD collection. One CD goes on my PC, PS3, and PSP. Now in terms of listening to the CD I dont do that often, but I still like to own them.

I don't buy physical cds much anymore, partially due to digital being much easier to manage, partially due to having xm radio for my car. If I do buy cds though, I'd say 9/10 times it's a compilation album or various artists cd of some sort.

bread's done
Back