who is paul mcartney?

The point where I weep openly for the future? I hit it.

Not only for the fact that so many people have no idea who Paul McCartney is and his significance to music, but also the fact that so many people sent this question over Twitter when plugging that same question into Google instead could have saved themselves a bit of public embarrassment.

It's a little suspect that all these people are able to spell his name perfectly, and with correct capitalization. I'm guessing a good number of them in fact do know who he is but want to show how cool they are by not being aware of something "old". Jeez, one of those guys on the page is a white dork wearing a shirt and tie.

[quote name='dinovelvet']It's a little suspect that all these people are able to spell his name perfectly, and with correct capitalization. I'm guessing a good number of them in fact do know who he is but want to show how cool they are by not being aware of something "old". Jeez, one of those guys on the page is a white dork wearing a shirt and tie.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't watching, but I'm guessing either they showed his name on screen, or we're only seeing a small percentage of people who don't know him. The search would leave out all the people who never heard of Paul Mgartny, etc.

[quote name='Scorch']I still don't get how Bon Iver won for best new artist.[/QUOTE]

I still don't know who Bon Iver is.

Then again I tend to stay away from bad music so...

[quote name='jello44']I still don't know who Bon Iver is.

Then again I tend to stay away from bad music so...[/QUOTE]

You a big nicki minaj fan?

[quote name='confoosious']then how do you classify Bon Iver as "bad music"?[/QUOTE]

OK, having listened to a little bit, I take it back, it's not bad, but definitely not my style.

Certainly better than whomever else was up for best new artist.

[quote name='jello44']I still don't know who Bon Iver is.

Then again I tend to stay away from bad music so...[/QUOTE]

I like how you described Bon Iver as "bad music" when you had no idea who Bon Iver was or what style of music it is. You'll fit in well with the next generation.

[quote name='Survivalism']He played drums for The Monkees.[/QUOTE]
DON'T YOU DARE SULLY THE NAME OF THE MONKEES! They're the goddamn greatest musicians in the history of music second only to Wham! and Nickelback!

[quote name='confoosious']then how do you classify Bon Iver as "bad music"?[/QUOTE]

They are not bad music. They are fucking terrible music.

So sad that shitty musicians + gimmicks + apathy = mainstream success.

I could name a half dozen bands with more talent in their pinky.

[quote name='camoor']They are not bad music. They are fucking terrible music.

So sad that shitty musicians + gimmicks + apathy = mainstream success.

I could name a half dozen bands with more talent in their pinky.[/QUOTE]

you win most ignorant comment in the thread! Congrats. I understand if Bon Iver isn't your cup of tea but to call them shitty musicians? Also, whats the gimmick here? I didn't realize looking like a high school teacher was a hot gimmick.

[quote name='Scorch']I like how you described Bon Iver as "bad music" when you had no idea who Bon Iver was or what style of music it is. You'll fit in well with the next generation.[/QUOTE]

I like how you ignored my comment after I said I took a listen to who he was.

[quote name='Demolition Man']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_McCartney

On the subject of Bon Iver I did listen to his album on Spotify one week ago. I won't deny that the musicianship on the album is very good but I couldn't get into it much myself. Maybe if I give it another play down the road I might enjoy it a bit more the second time around.[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah, didn't he do that duet with the blind guy? Not the one from the Diet Pepsi commercials, the one with the long hair.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']Oh yeah, didn't he do that duet with the blind guy? Not the one from the Diet Pepsi commercials, the one with the long hair.[/QUOTE]

No, that was Frank Sinatra.

god damn. thanks for the splitting migraine OP. it wouldn't be so bad, but most of these tweeters appear to be OVER the age of 16. :roll:

[quote name='confoosious']you win most ignorant comment in the thread! Congrats. I understand if Bon Iver isn't your cup of tea but to call them shitty musicians? Also, whats the gimmick here? I didn't realize looking like a high school teacher was a hot gimmick.[/QUOTE]

His gimmick is that guy with the guitar at every house party ever, warbly singing, annoying repetitive chords, just plain shitty music. His gimmick is looking like a bum with hep c but putting young attractive models in his music videos.

I had this figured out in less then 3 minutes.

You know who else doesn't know who Paul McCartney is?

char_26942.jpg

[quote name='camoor']His gimmick is that guy with the guitar at every house party ever, warbly singing, annoying repetitive chords, just plain shitty music. His gimmick is looking like a bum with hep c but putting young attractive models in his music videos.

I had this figured out in less then 3 minutes.[/QUOTE]

awwww someone got his girlfriend stolen by a guy with a guitar at a party. :cry:

[quote name='bardockkun']DON'T YOU DARE SULLY THE NAME OF THE MONKEES! They're the goddamn greatest musicians in the history of music second only to Wham! and Nickelback![/QUOTE]

I'm awful with interwebs sarcasm so I must ask, that Nickelback comment was a joke right?

I mean seriously it was right?

[quote name='The Crotch']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI[/QUOTE]

It is ok not to like things.

But to say Bon Iver is shitty and poor musicianship is plain ignorance. The "gimmicky" part is the best. I think that's the first time I've ever heard folk described as gimmicky. 'The Beatles? They sucked. They were just pop singers with a hair gimmick! That's like everyone in the history of music! And they sold way too many albums. Bunch of sellouts. I only listen to bands that release 7" vinyl and break up.'

Not everyone likes Citizen Kane. But only the ignorant would say it sucked and had no cinematic value.

[quote name='confoosious']It is ok not to like things.

But to say Bon Iver is shitty and poor musicianship is plain ignorance. The "gimmicky" part is the best. I think that's the first time I've ever heard folk described as gimmicky. 'The Beatles? They sucked. They were just pop singers! That's like everyone in the history of music!'

Not everyone likes Citizen Kane. But only the ignorant would say it sucked and had no cinematic value.[/QUOTE]

Ironic you mention Citizen Kane since a big part of that movie is about knocking down the overrated singer Marion Davies. It was, let us say, not the best way to make friends but honest critics who have no qualms about knocking down sacred cows are rarely welcomed with open arms.

Orson Wells would agree with me, this guy blows.

[quote name='camoor']Ironic you mention Citizen Kane since a big part of that movie is about knocking down the overrated singer Marion Davies. It was, let us say, not the best way to make friends but honest critics who have no qualms about knocking down sacred cows are rarely welcomed with open arms.

Orson Wells would agree with me, this guy blows.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you are the arbiter of all that is good and holy in music. :roll:

I guess it's time to stop arguing with ignorant children.

[quote name='confoosious']I'm glad you are the arbiter of all that is good and holy in music. :roll:

I guess it's time to stop arguing with ignorant children.[/QUOTE]

lol fair enough

[quote name='confoosious']It is ok not to like things.

But to say Bon Iver is shitty and poor musicianship is plain ignorance. The "gimmicky" part is the best. I think that's the first time I've ever heard folk described as gimmicky. 'The Beatles? They sucked. They were just pop singers with a hair gimmick! That's like everyone in the history of music! And they sold way too many albums. Bunch of sellouts. I only listen to bands that release 7" vinyl and break up.'

Not everyone likes Citizen Kane. But only the ignorant would say it sucked and had no cinematic value.[/QUOTE]

Man, confoosious. I know you are being sarcastic to make a point but the title of this thread and the above quoted text hurt my very soul.

[quote name='xxDOYLExx']Man, confoosious. I know you are being sarcastic to make a point but the title of this thread and the above quoted text hurt my very soul.[/QUOTE]

the beatles part? I like the Beatles. I'm not a HUGE fan but I like them well enough. I was just making fun of camoor and his whole "the mainstream sucks" attitude. People like that crack me up. "The replacements? They were awesome until they learned to play in tune!"

well clearly when i said the beatles were "just pop singers," my tongue was firmly in cheek. They're not my go to band but I know and appreciate their contribution to music and their influence on modern bands.

[quote name='strikeratt']I'm awful with interwebs sarcasm so I must ask, that Nickelback comment was a joke right?

I mean seriously it was right?[/QUOTE]
Because every comment that includes the band that wrote "wake me up, before you go, go" has some sense of legitimacy. C'MON!

[quote name='confoosious']the beatles part? I like the Beatles. I'm not a HUGE fan but I like them well enough. I was just making fun of camoor and his whole "the mainstream sucks" attitude. People like that crack me up. "The replacements? They were awesome until they learned to play in tune!"[/QUOTE]

Yeah and to be clear I like alot of mainstream music. I have no problem with mainstream/indie/whatever.

I was specifically critiquing this Bon Iver who I heard for the first time yesterday.

But keep patting yourself on the back man. You're into both mainstream and folk music. At the same time. Wow!

The only time I've heard of Bon Iver is the song he/they did with Kanye, so I always assumed it was a hip hop artist. :lol: I thought J. Cole would have won best new artist, I've been a fan since his first mixtapes, but to be honest I don't really pay much attention to these awards or the opinions of the masses. I like what I like, you like what you like, to each their own.

[quote name='camoor']Yeah and to be clear I like alot of mainstream music. I have no problem with mainstream/indie/whatever.

I was specifically critiquing this Bon Iver who I heard for the first time yesterday.

But keep patting yourself on the back man. You're into both mainstream and folk music. At the same time. Wow![/QUOTE]

My problem isn't that you dislike them. I listen to bands everyone likes and I listen to bands nobody else likes. I frankly don't give a shit and I'm too old to be cool. I just listen to what I like. I'm ok with that.

My problem is that you are seemingly talking out of your ass because you dislike them.

You took 1 listen and declared they were terrible musicians. Please, educate the rest of us, what makes them terrible musicians? From a technical standpoint, what is it about their music that makes them terrible musicians? Are they out of tune? Do they play without any sense of timing? Do they play 1 chord over and over? What exactly is it, Mozart?

I don't like Tool but I'm not idiotic enough to declare that they are bad musicians just because I don't like them.

To be fair, not liking a band or performer doesn't necessarily mean you think they're crap musicians. I don't like classical music much, but I know that Mozart was one of the greatest classical composers.

[quote name='Clak']To be fair, not liking a band or performer doesn't necessarily mean you think they're crap musicians. I don't like classical music much, but I know that Mozart was one of the greatest classical composers.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't. That's my point. But Camoor declared Bon Iver to be crappy musicians, not just that he doesn't like them. I want to know why.

[quote name='Clak']To be fair, not liking a band or performer doesn't necessarily mean you think they're crap musicians. I don't like classical music much, but I know that Mozart was one of the greatest classical composers.[/QUOTE]

Nah, Mozart sucks. So do all the other singers/composers I dislike.

On a serious note, I like how people think liking older stuff makes them better/higher class than other people.

[quote name='confoosious']My problem isn't that you dislike them. I listen to bands everyone likes and I listen to bands nobody else likes. I frankly don't give a shit and I'm too old to be cool. I just listen to what I like. I'm ok with that.

My problem is that you are seemingly talking out of your ass because you dislike them.

You took 1 listen and declared they were terrible musicians. Please, educate the rest of us, what makes them terrible musicians? From a technical standpoint, what is it about their music that makes them terrible musicians? Are they out of tune? Do they play without any sense of timing? Do they play 1 chord over and over? What exactly is it, Mozart?

I don't like Tool but I'm not idiotic enough to declare that they are bad musicians just because I don't like them.[/QUOTE]

Normally on bands I bite my tongue but I got sucked into this one.

You want to know why - they are poster children for the participation trophy mentality.

Obviously I'm not saying performers should show up in a suit but at least give us a show.

I've seen subway bums with a guitar that were more entertaining (and better dressed).

bread's done
Back