who works graveyard

I've been doing it close to four. I think it's really unhealthy though... has taken a tool on me mentally and physically BUT it keeps me out of trouble and that was my biggest reason for working it

[quote name='GBAstar']I've been doing it close to four. I think it's really unhealthy though... has taken a tool on me mentally and physically BUT it keeps me out of trouble and that was my biggest reason for working it[/QUOTE]

Same here, I gotten old before my time. When I was single with no kids I loved the shift. Now not so much. I wanted off the shift for years but am stuck because of the good pay I make. I always say this shift will kill me, and I'm betting one day it does

[quote name='razrvamp']Same here, I gotten old before my time. When I was single with no kids I loved the shift. Now not so much. I wanted off the shift for years but am stuck because of the good pay I make. I always say this shift will kill me, and I'm betting one day it does[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat you were in. I don't have a family of "my own" yet so graveyard shift is good. The pay is better and the work for the most part is easier.

However I don't have normal sleeping patterns and I find myself getting less sleep overall. I'm not as active as I used to regarding physical fitness and I'm nowhere near as sharp as I used to be. I feel like my brain isn't working on all cyclinders anymore.

I've been working it for 25 years. How insane is that? When I started my job, I was supposed to be on the 3:00-11:00 pm shift. On my second or third day on the job, they told us they were shifting a bunch of us to "Tour 1" (overnights) for "a few weeks". And that was that. I know what you mean about being stuck on the shift because of the good pay; I'd take a big pay cut if I worked a different shift.

I was young and single then; now I'm married with teenage kids and a mortgage (and, obviously, I'm 25 years older) I have plenty of weird sleep stories, and it's had some negative effects on me for sure, but I'm used to it (or as used to being up at night and sleeping during the day as the human body can ever get) and the way I arrange my sleep, I see my wife and kids as much as I would working a regular 9:00-5:00 shift. I'll get off the shift someday, but for now it is what it is, and I deal with it.

[quote name='Danimal']I've been working it for 25 years. How insane is that? When I started my job, I was supposed to be on the 3:00-11:00 pm shift. On my second or third day on the job, they told us they were shifting a bunch of us to "Tour 1" (overnights) for "a few weeks". And that was that. I know what you mean about being stuck on the shift because of the good pay; I'd take a big pay cut if I worked a different shift.

I was young and single then; now I'm married with teenage kids and a mortgage (and, obviously, I'm 25 years older) I have plenty of weird sleep stories, and it's had some negative effects on me for sure, but I'm used to it (or as used to being up at night and sleeping during the day as the human body can ever get) and the way I arrange my sleep, I see my wife and kids as much as I would working a regular 9:00-5:00 shift. I'll get off the shift someday, but for now it is what it is, and I deal with it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I keep saying I'll get off one day too, but for 16 years no such luck yet. I give you mad props sir 25 is a lifetime

I worked "graveyard" for maybe 8 or 9 months back when I had a paper route. Easiest job I ever had and could listen to the radio and all that, but the sleep schedule was brutal. I ended up getting 4 hours before the route and the rest of my sleep a little after I got home, but I never felt "rested". I already know better than to go back to that type of schedule.

I'll begin working graveyard within a month. International operations based out of California = three separate 8 hours shifts.

Going to give it at least one year. If I can't hang, just isn't for me. Figured I'd give the experience a try while I'm young (just turned 24)!

Oh, the 15% graveyard differential is a huge plus. :D

[quote name='mis0']I'll begin working graveyard within a month. International operations based out of California = three separate 8 hours shifts.

Going to give it at least one year. If I can't hang, just isn't for me. Figured I'd give the experience a try while I'm young (just turned 24)!

Oh, the 15% graveyard differential is a huge plus. :D[/QUOTE]

That grave differential is what sucks you in.

[quote name='JStryke']I worked "graveyard" for maybe 8 or 9 months back when I had a paper route. Easiest job I ever had and could listen to the radio and all that, but the sleep schedule was brutal. I ended up getting 4 hours before the route and the rest of my sleep a little after I got home, but I never felt "rested". I already know better than to go back to that type of schedule.[/QUOTE]
So you would only sleep 4 hours everyday? :eek:

I get anywhere between 1 and 8 a day. I would say I average 3 on the days I work. Like today I only got 2 hours of very broken sleep

[quote name='razrvamp']I get anywhere between 1 and 8 a day. I would say I average 3 on the days I work. Like today I only got 2 hours of very broken sleep[/QUOTE]
WOW. Average 3? How can you still operate with that much lttlle sleep for a whole work week?

Differential pay is a huge plus but I burned out trying to balance a graveyard shift and a college education. The sleep schedule messed with me and I spent many days struggling to sleep with the rest of the world moving around me.

There were a few sleeplesss days where I would scream at the top of my lungs while driving to school in an effort to stay awake.

[quote name='Gears24']WOW. Average 3? How can you still operate with that much lttlle sleep for a whole work week?[/QUOTE]

You just learn to make it happen I have 3 kids and a wife. There's just no time for me to sleep in a day sometimes. I make up for it on my days off though I can get anywhere between 6 and 8 a night.

[quote name='razrvamp']I always say this shift will kill me, and I'm betting one day it does[/QUOTE]

Dude, that's a chilling thing to say.

Valuable thoughts and advices. I read your topic with great interest.
22.gif

There was one guy in my class who also worked the graveyard shift as a security guard. Let's just say he looks 20 years older than he should. How do you guys manage to find the time to game on top of having to find sleep?

[quote name='mac101010']There was one guy in my class who also worked the graveyard shift as a security guard. Let's just say he looks 20 years older than he should. How do you guys manage to find the time to game on top of having to find sleep?[/QUOTE]

I game when I get home in the mornings, only thing that sucks is it's the worst time to try to play any online since it seems most of the world does not game at that time. So I'm normally stuck to single player games

I no longer do, however I worked graveyard for a bit over four years. I tip my hat off to those who work it now and have in the past. I also did it for the pay, I remember working the occasional day or swing shift and not being able to function. Now, it's the other way around: get me in the office passed 6:30 and I'm a mindless drone :cry:

What I liked about working graveyard was being able to be at the stores early on release day. I did it for Resident Evil on the cube, Devil May Cry and Animal Crossing :oops:

[quote name='Ed_']I no longer do, however I worked graveyard for a bit over four years. I tip my hat off to those who work it now and have in the past. I also did it for the pay, I remember working the occasional day or swing shift and not being able to function. Now, it's the other way around: get me in the office passed 6:30 and I'm a mindless drone :cry:

What I liked about working graveyard was being able to be at the stores early on release day. I did it for Resident Evil on the cube, Devil May Cry and Animal Crossing :oops:[/QUOTE]

I do love release day

If you have a job that affords you regular access to a computer with very low security filters you can find some of the best deals on video games during this shift.

[quote name='GBAstar']If you have a job that affords you regular access to a computer with very low security filters you can find some of the best deals on video games during this shift.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that, but my worked is locked down security wise, so I just use my smart phone all night

Been working 11pm-7am for about 9 years now. Sad thing is my body is so used to this schedule, any time I have to deviate from it, I get sick.

~Smoke7

[quote name='Smoke7']Been working 11pm-7am for about 9 years now. Sad thing is my body is so used to this schedule, any time I have to deviate from it, I get sick.

~Smoke7[/QUOTE]

9 years is a long time

[quote name='razrvamp']I game when I get home in the mornings, only thing that sucks is it's the worst time to try to play any online since it seems most of the world does not game at that time. So I'm normally stuck to single player games[/QUOTE]I do that, too. Sometimes I'll have 30 minutes to an hour before my kids get up; then again sometimes that's when I'm on CAG. Most of my gaming is done between 9:00-11:00 a.m., after I get home from taking my kids to school and before I go to bed.

razrvamp, add me on XBL if you want. I mostly play single player, too, but if we have some games in common, maybe we can get some multiplayer in once in a while. :cool:

[quote name='Danimal']I do that, too. Sometimes I'll have 30 minutes to an hour before my kids get up; then again sometimes that's when I'm on CAG. Most of my gaming is done between 9:00-11:00 a.m., after I get home from taking my kids to school and before I go to bed.

razrvamp, add me on XBL if you want. I mostly play single player, too, but if we have some games in common, maybe we can get some multiplayer in once in a while. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I would love to add you sir but I only have a ps3. No Xbox, the wife said I could only by one so I chose the PlayStation cause I wanted a blu ray player too

One of the "perks" of working graveyard at a hotel was the two free meals one gets. You get "lunch" before the kitchen closes and then breakfast when it opens. :cool:

Been doing the 11pm-730am shift for 4yrs now. it wasn't that bad, eventually I got used to it and my sleep pattern has changed (I can't sleep at night anymore). On my days off I get to play games overnight, the only thing that sucks is that I have a second full time job during weekdays afternoon.

I did graveyard for 6 months or so last year. It was a pretty good fit for me actually. I had some of the same issues you guys do/did - I could only sleep for a couple hours at a time due to my living situation.

What do you guys do exactly? I'm 35, single and if I could find a high enough paying job, I'd get my own place where I could sleep during the day and work graveyard again.

As long as there's no dealing with the public, I'm interested.

[quote name='Broseph']I did graveyard for 6 months or so last year. It was a pretty good fit for me actually. I had some of the same issues you guys do/did - I could only sleep for a couple hours at a time due to my living situation.

What do you guys do exactly? I'm 35, single and if I could find a high enough paying job, I'd get my own place where I could sleep during the day and work graveyard again.

As long as there's no dealing with the public, I'm interested.[/QUOTE]

I'm the night manager at a Data Center.

It was great. Got all my work in about an hour then got 7 hours of free time. If people from the next shift come early I get to leave early. Plus since there are 2 of us, one of us could take naps.

[quote name='62t']It was great. Got all my work in about an hour then got 7 hours of free time. If people from the next shift come early I get to leave early. Plus since there are 2 of us, one of us could take naps.[/QUOTE]

It's amazing how fast you can get your work done when your on graveyard. I spend about 1 hour working a night and 7 hours reading books, listening to music, and browsing the internet

I worked graveyard last week for the first time, five days straight for inventory.

Workwise it wasn't bad, didn't have quite the effect on my body that I thought it would and the shifts/week flew by. When I awoke to my first day off, I found myself really depressed, possibly due in part to a combination of other factors however.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']I worked graveyard last week for the first time, five days straight for inventory.

Workwise it wasn't bad, didn't have quite the effect on my body that I thought it would and the shifts/week flew by. When I awoke to my first day off, I found myself really depressed, possibly due in part to a combination of other factors however.[/QUOTE]

Five days ain't so bad, when you get into years you really start seeing the affect it takes on you

Been doing it for what four years now, doesn't bother me so much except the summer when people talk about how hot and bright it is and i'm going "huh"?

[quote name='coolsteel']Been doing it for what four years now, doesn't bother me so much except the summer when people talk about how hot and bright it is and i'm going "huh"?[/QUOTE]

lol

bread's done
Back