Whoa, Bro. It's the Jam Band Thread

dragonsho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
I'm not sure how many of you out there listen to jams so I figured I'd make a thread for it to see how many CAGs enjoy jambands.

Post your fav bands, fav shows, links to the best shows on archive, etc.

I'll start off by saying my first and favorite jam band is Umphrey's Mcgee. I saw them live over the summer and it was an amazing first show to see. Here's the archive link to those of you are interested. http://www.archive.org/details/um2008-07-26.earthworks.flac16f From the sexy triple wide into the don't fear the reaper jam, to Abacab, to Wizard Burial Ground, they were just on and completely in sync that night. Plus Jake and Brendan were sporting some nifty new custom guitars.

So who's everyone elses favorites?

[quote name='dragonsho']Damn, guess there's not many (read none) jam band fans out there. Well, I feel compelled to post this video.

A face melting Glory
[media]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ed_0MwtAsU
[/media][/quote]

You're not alone, I love jam bands! I have to say the greatest experience thus far in my life was seeing Phish play at Alpine Valley.

[quote name='Squall835']You're not alone, I love jam bands! I have to say the greatest experience thus far in my life was seeing Phish play at Alpine Valley.[/QUOTE]
Damn man, that must have been sweet. When did you get to see them? I havn't really listened to phish yet because UM has such a big catalog but I've been meaning to check them out for a while.

[quote name='dragonsho']Damn man, that must have been sweet. When did you get to see them? I havn't really listened to phish yet because UM has such a big catalog but I've been meaning to check them out for a while.[/quote]

I saw them in 2003 and 2004; definitely the best concerts I've been to thus far. I've also been fortunate enough to see String Cheese, Bob Weir, and Phil Lesh in the past few years. If you're looking for a really cool band, check out Railroad Earth. I haven't seen them live, but I have downloaded a few of their concerts and they are a fantastic bluegrass band. Simply amazing.

EDIT: I have a huge collection of live shows spanning the Grateful Dead through Phish. If you ever want to send me some blank cds, I'll gladly burn you some shows.

i'm not a fan of jambands anymore, but maybe you guys will be interested in this piece of news: phish is reuniting for Bonnaroo next year. mark this post. :cool:

Thought I'd bump this thread up.

Here's a French band that isn't really a jam band, they're just out there. They sing in a language they made up Zeul. Pretentious, yes, awesome, yes. One of the best parts is one of the keyboardists looks like the guy from Reno 911. Here's part one of their album Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9yaYvrp3B4[/media]

Anyone know any other bands like magma?

[quote name='Squall835']That is one strange ass video.[/QUOTE]
I always wonder what they were thinking that made those pelicans flying fit that music. Definitely not casual listening music.

I think I may take you up on the offer of the Grateful and Phish shows if you're still up to it Squall. If you could just throw in some other awesome/odd music too that would be great.
Any recommendation of what Railroad Earth shows to download first? There's quite a few on archive.

[quote name='dragonsho']I always wonder what they were thinking that made those pelicans flying fit that music. Definitely not casual listening music.

I think I may take you up on the offer of the Grateful and Phish shows if you're still up to it Squall. If you could just throw in some other awesome/odd music too that would be great.
Any recommendation of what Railroad Earth shows to download first? There's quite a few on archive.[/quote]

No real recommendations on Railroad Earth, any show of there's will be good. Check out the Jazz Mandolin Project for some really good stuff as well (try '01 to '02 for starters).

And also: http://phish.com/news/index.php?year=2008#story409
They're back!

I just kind of stumbled upon this thread...I thought I was too old to still like jam bands, but alas, I do! I don't think gamers have the patience for jam.

My faves are Phish (first show, St. Louis, 9/1994, last show 6/25?/2004?, Alpine Valley)....if they announce dates on this upcoming tour at either Alpine Valley or Deer Creek (they're both close to Chicago) I'm definitely there!

I love moe., Umphrey's, Widespread Panic...kind of not listening to SCI anymore...they just started writing bad songs. I dig Keller, Medeski, Martin & Wood, just starting to get into Sound Tribe Sector 9...

Check out my signature for a link to UM podcasts--little snippets from their live shows

[quote name='dragonsho']Thought I'd bump this thread up.

Here's a French band that isn't really a jam band, they're just out there. They sing in a language they made up Zeul. Pretentious, yes, awesome, yes. One of the best parts is one of the keyboardists looks like the guy from Reno 911. Here's part one of their album Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh.

Anyone know any other bands like magma?[/quote]

By the way, that guy played the shit out of that triangle!

You can definitely tell this like a European answer to the Doors/Pink Floyd, a little bit of Dead. Excellent musicianship, storytelling nature...good stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back