Whoo College acceptance!

assassinX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Whoo got my college acceptance letter. Now I have college to look forward to in the next year. :)

Oh I got into UC San Diego. I dont know what field im looking into. I really like the idea of mechanical engineering though.

Pretty sure 4 is not a solid number. I am in for 5 due to a double major. And what if the OP wants to be a doctor? More than 4 years.

Heh, I got my degree, did 2 years of prerequisites after that, then have a year off and probably 7 more years of med school. I'm looking at being 32 before I have a real income.

Congrats, OP!

Wow are you guys assholes. Congrats OP, UC San Diego is a pretty good school in certain fields of study, like physics for instance, but they still are considered somewhat a party school.

A college is a college. Most of you here probably didn't even graduate from high school.

So what is your field of study?

How can you not get accepted at a public state school? Assuming you past high school at least, they can't reject you can they? Private schools, sure.

My condolences, OP. You have to live in California now.

[quote name='JolietJake']How can you not get accepted at a public state school? Assuming you past high school at least, they can't reject you can they? Private schools, sure.[/QUOTE]

Is this a serious question?

[quote name='Liquid 2']My condolences, OP. You have to live in California now.

Is this a serious question?[/quote]Rocko and you are both so predictable. Before i even clicked view message i knew what it was about. The two of you really need to find someone else to harass.

It was a partially serious question, one i really already knew the answer to. I don't know see what the big deal is about being accepted to a public school, it's not like they can reject you.

Allowing your posts to be viewed is like allowing myself to look at a bloody car accident. The curiosity compels me to, then i wish i hadn't.

Are you crying? :baby:

They can reject you. I can't believe you didn't know that, which is why I asked you if you were being serious.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Are you crying? :baby:

They can reject you. I can't believe you didn't know that, which is why I asked you if you were being serious.[/quote]
Crying? You'd have to be a much bigger dick then usual for that to happen. I guess i never knew that that since i wasn't. Also occurs to me that this state doesn't have a very high college graduate level, so they'll take almost anyone who even wants to try.
But anyway, back to ignoring you.

[quote name='JolietJake']How can you not get accepted at a public state school? Assuming you past high school at least, they can't reject you can they? Private schools, sure.[/quote]

Are you talking about the University of California system?

Of course they can reject you. UCSD only accepts about 40% of those who apply and those who are accepted have an average gpa of about 4.1 and SAT just under 2000.

It's a good school. Very academically focused... definitely not a party school (that's San Diego State :)).

Like i said, things are different here. You'd have to be drooling and crawling on the floor to not get accepted in this state. I don't know anyone who has a 4.1 GPA, i thought having a 3.2 was good, which is around here.

Considering it's publicly funded, it doesn't really seem fair that anyone get rejected. Besides, the ones who can't cut it would drop out anyway, so it isn't like they'd have to have them their for 4 + years.

[quote name='JolietJake']How can you not get accepted at a public state school? Assuming you past high school at least, they can't reject you can they? Private schools, sure.[/quote]

Do you even understand the UC system of schooling? Their schools are filled to capacity and they are still having problems accommodating the amount of students who want to come in. There's a special clause now in California that basically says that they have to take in a set percentage of residents from California.....

[quote name='Liquid 2']My condolences, OP. You have to live in California now.

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with Cali...

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Do you even understand the UC system of schooling? Their schools are filled to capacity and they are still having problems accommodating the amount of students who want to come in. There's a special clause now in California that basically says that they have to take in a set percentage of residents from California.....

Nothing wrong with Cali...[/quote]Of course i don't, i don't live in California, thankfully.

I'd love to go to UCSD med school, but it's one of those ridiculous schools that like 100 kids per year get into. It's soooooo nice, though.

[quote name='JolietJake']Crying? You'd have to be a much bigger dick then usual for that to happen. I guess i never knew that that since i wasn't. Also occurs to me that this state doesn't have a very high college graduate level, so they'll take almost anyone who even wants to try.
But anyway, back to ignoring you.[/quote]

Have you seen the acceptance rates of UCLA and UC Berkely? :cry:

[quote name='JolietJake']Like i said, things are different here. You'd have to be drooling and crawling on the floor to not get accepted in this state. I don't know anyone who has a 4.1 GPA, i thought having a 3.2 was good, which is around here.

Considering it's publicly funded, it doesn't really seem fair that anyone get rejected. Besides, the ones who can't cut it would drop out anyway, so it isn't like they'd have to have them their for 4 + years.[/quote]

We also have the Cal State system of schools to accomodate more people. It's easier to get in. Then, if that fails, there's always community college.

But, the University of California system is one of the premier public university systems in the world. It rivals some of the best private schools in this country and tuition is relatively cheap for in state residents. It's a great deal.

Also, there's quite a few University of California Campuses across the state:

UC Berkely and UCLA are the top institutions.

They are closely followed by UCSD, UC Irvine, UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara... then Riverside, Merced, Santa Cruz, etc. The less prestigious UCs or ones that are located in less desirable locations are somewhat easier to get into.

[quote name='TahoeMax']I'd love to go to UCSD med school, but it's one of those ridiculous schools that like 100 kids per year get into. It's soooooo nice, though.[/quote]

UCSD is a great medical school. Perhaps only exceeded by UCSF, Stanford, and UCLA in California.

However, in southern California, I'd recommend UCLA over UCSD. It's a more benign place (and as of a few years ago), the schedule during the first couple of years is much more favorable. They may have changed now, but UCSD was pretty much a M-F 8-5 schedule, while UCLA did 10-3 or 10-4 with classes dismissed at noon on Mondays and Fridays... sweet!

Also, UCLA has many more affiliated hospitals, so you can theoretically get a more broad exposure to different health care environments, albeit at the expense of driving around LA:

County Hospitals:
Harbor-UCLA
Olive View-UCLA

West LA Veterans Administration (VA) Hospital

Academic Center:
UCLA Center for Health Sciences (now opening a new hospital: The Ronald Reagan Medical Center)

Community Hospitals
Cedars Sinai
St. Mary's in Long Beach
Santa Monica-UCLA

Kaiser Sunset

...and a few more...

Of course, the admission process is over 6,000 applicants for 121 spots... so you better have a high GPA/MCAT or work on other unique characteristics (research, voluteer work, etc. :D). UCSD and Stanford are similarly competitive. UCSF a bit more, since it has an insanely high reputation (consistently top 3 in the country).

[quote name='BigT']We also have the Cal State system of schools to accomodate more people. It's easier to get in. Then, if that fails, there's always community college.

But, the University of California system is one of the premier public university systems in the world. It rivals some of the best private schools in this country and tuition is relatively cheap for in state residents. It's a great deal.

Also, there's quite a few University of California Campuses across the state:

UC Berkely and UCLA are the top institutions.

They are closely followed by UCSD, UC Irvine, UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara... then Riverside, Merced, Santa Cruz, etc. The less prestigious UCs or ones that are located in less desirable locations are somewhat easier to get into.[/quote]

Great post to enlighten Mr Joliet. The Cal state system is indeed pretty good. Cal Poly is a superb school out in San Luis Obispo. There's a couple others but they're aren't coming to mind currently. Let's not forget that there are plenty of private schools throughout Cali, like Pepperdine, Cal Tech, USC (Go Trojans!!!), etc.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Great post to enlighten Mr Joliet. The Cal state system is indeed pretty good. Cal Poly is a superb school out in San Luis Obispo. There's a couple others but they're aren't coming to mind currently. Let's not forget that there are plenty of private schools throughout Cali, like Pepperdine, Cal Tech, USC (Go Trojans!!!), etc.[/quote]
:lol: Enlighten me? I didn't say what i did because i think the school system is bad.

[quote name='lmz00']I'm sure that's what you meant.[/quote]

Depends where you go. Even 4 year degrees are turning into 5 years because of impacted classes and moreso "the college experience".

[quote name='JolietJake']:lol: Enlighten me? I didn't say what i did because i think the school system is bad.[/quote]

I never thought you said what you said because you believed the school system to be bad, just that you were being ignorant.

[quote name='assassinX']Any other Cag's soon to be heading off to college? Also, any Cag's want to tell us some experiences of college life?[/quote]

I'm going to be continuing/transferring somewhere soon, but it just depends on the place.

I'm a senior at Middle Tennessee State University, and let me tell you, college blows. Unless mommy and daddy and paying your way in, expect a few miserable years of working/studying nonstop. Everyday I'm not at school, I'm at work or vice versa. I had to join the military just to even think about affording school. Luckily I graduate this year and my enlistment is also up. It really is unfortunate how difficult it is for lower income students to pay their way through school. I didn't take out any loans because I didn't want to spend 10 years paying them back after I graduate.

I have mixed feelings about working for $ during college. I fortunately didn't have to work as an undergraduate because my fees were covered by scholarships.

It seems like it would be difficult to combine work with studying and performing research... especially considering that for many top professional schools you need >3.8 gpa with great MCAT or LSAT scores plus meaningful research to be competitive.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Wow are you guys assholes. Congrats OP, UC San Diego is a pretty good school in certain fields of study, like physics for instance, but they still are considered somewhat a party school.[/QUOTE]

Well, UCSD is not a party school, I can tell you that from first hand experience. A few of the main reasons for that are the lack of on campus fraternities, the low interest sporting teams, and the quarter system being too quick for any real weeks off.

OP, you should be glad you got in, it's gotten more and more competitive over the years, and it's really a good school, mechanical engineering is a good major here too. I'm Math/Econ so, i'm not into all that engineering mumbo-jumbo, but i've got a few friends who really like it.

[quote name='kosh_kesh24']I'm a senior at Middle Tennessee State University, and let me tell you, college blows. Unless mommy and daddy and paying your way in, expect a few miserable years of working/studying nonstop. Everyday I'm not at school, I'm at work or vice versa. I had to join the military just to even think about affording school. Luckily I graduate this year and my enlistment is also up. It really is unfortunate how difficult it is for lower income students to pay their way through school. I didn't take out any loans because I didn't want to spend 10 years paying them back after I graduate.[/quote]

I have to disagree with you on this one. Ever heard of FAFSA? I support myself and I don't work, but I also didn't earn ANY financial aid except for the Federal Grant to pay the interest on my loan. My school, University of Oregon, also suggested I would need roughly $15,200/year for school and I have barely touched it. I use my financial aid to pay for all my bills: car payment, insurance, rent, utilities and my social life. Probably won't be asking for another loan for this upcoming year and plan on working during the summer.

Just got accepted into WVU's Doctoral Program for history. Yes, for the detractors it did win the list of number one party school, its in West Virginia, and the sport zealots burn couches regardless of their football team winning or losing, but for doctoral programs in history one attends a certain university because they wish to work with certain historians. And as a labor historian, the Fones-Wolf duo there is amazing.

Also, congrats OP. Does anyone here attend a public university in Florida? I've heard stories about Florida extending standardized tests and educational standards making the state K-16. Is there any truth to this?

hiccupleftovers, thank you clearing up all the ignorance on this thread. Congratulations OP, UCSD has always required at least a 4.0 to have a fighting chance to get in, for as long as I could remember. Hell, it's party school cousin UCSB has too. It's a great system, even though I'm at a CSU myself.

[quote name='assassinX']Any other Cag's soon to be heading off to college? Also, any Cag's want to tell us some experiences of college life?[/QUOTE]

I'll be starting at UT@Austin in the fall in honors physics. :D

Hey, congratulations, assassin and everyone else. College is a great experience, and quite a learning period, if you take advantage of it. ^_^

[quote name='assassinX']Any other Cag's soon to be heading off to college? Also, any Cag's want to tell us some experiences of college life?[/quote]

It's harder than high school, but easier in the fact that you get to take classes you actually want to.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']It's harder than high school, but easier in the fact that you get to take classes you actually want to.[/quote]

Word, this $$$$a ain't lyin.

Depends where you go, but take classes after 11:30 AM, all my classes are after 12. It's so hard to wake up at 6:30 when you go to bed at like 2.

[quote name='ananag112']Damn. I need to start applying for grad schools. I hate the college app process.[/quote]

Haven't most good schools stopped apps? I know that talking to some college admissions people/counselors that this year is supposed to be a monster year for applications - both freshmen undergrads and grads. Where do you think you want to go?

bread's done
Back