Who's funeral do you HAVE to go to?

[quote name='javeryh']I'm with you on this one dmaul. I don't think I'm going. I am contemplating sending an email to him though (his address was in the email that was forwarded to me). Also, one day's notice is way too short. I have the kids all day tomorrow and there's not enough time to rearrange plans.[/QUOTE]

If you only heard through "a friend of a friend", you aren't that close. Stay home.

~HotShotX

I agree with dmaul - I also probably wouldn't even go to the funeral of a former friend that I hadn't talked to in over a decade, and I certainly wouldn't go to their parent's funeral.

Am I the only one who thinks that a funeral/wake seems like an inappropriate place to catch up with old friends? I know that people do that all the time, but I'm really uncomfortable with it. I wouldn't want old friends that I hadn't spoken to in years just showing up at the wake/funeral for one of my family members. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

[quote name='chiwii']
Am I the only one who thinks that a funeral/wake seems like an inappropriate place to catch up with old friends? I know that people do that all the time, but I'm really uncomfortable with it. I wouldn't want old friends that I hadn't spoken to in years just showing up at the wake/funeral for one of my family members. I don't know, maybe it's just me.[/QUOTE]

Agree. I wouldn't want personal acquaintances or old friends I'm not really friends with anymore as I haven't seen them in ages showing up at one of my parent's funerals either.

That's a personal, grieving experience and should only be for people who were all very close to the deceased and/or the deceased loved ones IMO.

But like you say, I know many have more open wakes and funerals, so I guess people have varying views on that.

If it's a friend of a friend, and there's one day notice about it, I would say you don't need to go. Especially if there's no way you could have someone watch your kids and the like associated with a short notice situation.

If you actually kept in contact with this old friend of yours regularly, that's a different matter, though if you've not spoken to them in 15 years, then I think you shouldn't need to go.

There's also the obvious statement of the only funeral you have to go to is your own, though that's a different matter entirely.

bread's done
Back