Why am I finding MGS:PO boring?

redline

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
After having played for a little while and clearing Python, I'm finding that this game doesn't really hold my interest. No complaints on the story, but the gameplay gets repetitive really quick. It's just pretty much the same thing each mission... sneak around, knock everyone out and capture, then get to the objective. I find myself using the same people each mission, and I don't see any need to use anything other than their default equipment (with exception of Python). I think I've captured 75+ people, but aside from putting them in tech, spy, or medical groups I haven't done anything with them.

So I have to wonder if I'm doing something wrong since this game got great reviews and seems to be one that everyone recommends. Does the gameplay improve any or is it pretty much like this until the end? What am I missing? At this point I just don't have much motivation to finish it.

The gameplay is the same until the end. The game is basically just mission-based MGS with a weak story tacked on and hardly deserves all the "Finally! A real Metal Gear for PSP" hype it gets. I think it's the most overrated PSP game I've played. Not to mention I found it borderline unplayable because of the camera controls.

I personally didnt find this game holding my interest. It felt very structured and robotic (do this, go there, save this, etc). I didnt play the online mode, but the single player was deffinately lacking

It's really not that boring. I played and beat the game twice and capturing the different characters is cool in a Pokemon sort of way. Even cooler is using those characters online.

I couldnt even do the mission after you escape your cell I found this game so terribly boring. This game alone has pretty much made me go "why the heck does everyone love MG games?" I really don't get it especially never having owned a playstation 1 or 2.

i actually had the same feeling while playing it awhile back. i felt like i was doing the same missions over and over and capturing soldiers was wearing out.i did play it alot though.. it was actually the first game i almost played through for the psp.. i lost interest along the way there were new games and that was the end of it... hopefully PO+ will change all that and will let me re-play the game.

because it's a boring game. I tired quickly of it, despite wanting the MGS3 story continuation.

I found it boring too, but I was expecting a real MGS game.

[quote name='phear3d']hopefully PO+ will change all that and will let me re-play the game.[/quote]

I wish I could get excited over Plus, but I won't be going anywhere near it unless it comes with a second analog stick. It's sad that what I suspect could have been a decent portable game was turned into such a struggle because of the controls.

I never really got into it either because, I bought it right after I finished Snake eater, so I just didn't need anymore snake at the time.. so I'll hit it up later... much later.

I'm kinda with you. I'm surprised too, as I am a pretty big MGS fanboy, but I have yet to beat the game (bought it on release day). Enjoyed it somewhat and got a few hours into it, but stopped playing it and haven't had the urge to finish it since. It's still a good PSP game, but not MGS quality, IMO. I will finish it just to complete the story, but, unlike other MGS games, I'm really not in any hurry.

[quote name='Apossum']I found it boring too, but I was expecting a real MGS game.[/quote]

Same here. Myself, I think ALOT of the fun in the MGS series is in the whole one man vs. an entire army aspect of the story. Constantly switching characters really sucked the life out of it for me.

I found it boring at the beginning but forced myself to keep going and then I was hooked. Getting new characters is fun and entertaining. Story is pretty good too.

[quote name='whoknows']I found it boring at the beginning but forced myself to keep going and then I was hooked. Getting new characters is fun and entertaining. Story is pretty good too.[/quote]

Same here. I thought it started realllly slow.

The unique characters kinda ruined online for me though.

I liked it but never finished it. I was sneaking through one of the last levels (mostly indoors) and kept getting caught because of issues with the camera. The wider open levels are a blast but when you have to take into account tons of walls and corners, it kind of falls apart.

I could also do without the whole, "Dropping the atomic bombs on Japan was evil!!!" preaching. I want to play a videogame, not learn Konami's take on world history.

The whole 'you have to press a gazillion buttons to do simple things because there's no second stick' ruined the game for me. Why couldn't they just rework it. Look at how great Syphon Filter's controls are. It just became boring, when doing simple tasks (especially sneaking) became too troublesome.

[quote name='Halo05']I liked it but never finished it. I was sneaking through one of the last levels (mostly indoors) and kept getting caught because of issues with the camera.[/quote]
This is about the same place I stopped playing. After you keep getting caught because there's 4 guards in the area and no decent hiding places it gets extremely boring. I'm sure I'll go back to it eventually just to hear the end of the story, but like others I'm in no hurry.

I also didn't like the whole map overlay and choose your destination. MGS is one of those games that is meant to be played in a linear style ... that and I hate the brown/green look of MGS3 (though I loved the story).

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']This is about the same place I stopped playing. After you keep getting caught because there's 4 guards in the area and no decent hiding places it gets extremely boring. I'm sure I'll go back to it eventually just to hear the end of the story, but like others I'm in no hurry.

I also didn't like the whole map overlay and choose your destination. MGS is one of those games that is meant to be played in a linear style ... that and I hate the brown/green look of MGS3 (though I loved the story).[/QUOTE]

I gave up and watched the endings online.

I actually just got Syphon Filter - Dark Mirror but I haven't played it yet. I'm interested to see how it controls.

My initial stealth action experience on the PSP was Splinter Cell Essentials and well, that sucked. MGS:pO was a big improvement in terms of controls. I'll be happy if Syphon Filter is another significant step forward.

I thought the story was pretty good, and I enjoyed it while I played it but like alot of you I get annoyed with the camera. I hate when I hide somewhere only to be seen by a solider standing right next to me that I couldn't even see. I tried to go back and play snake eater and I just got SOOOO mad hiding behind a tree making sure it was clear then running up and having the camera change and angle only to have a guy standing right in front of me. I honestly don't know how I played MGS so many times through with the camera the way it is

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']I agree...after the first level I traded it. Just didn't seem like a normal MGS.[/quote]
You are an idiot.

Got the game on release day, got the special case or whatever it was. Really hype for the game since I also just got a PSP at the time. Had a little fun with the online, and the game was okay, only got about the same as the OP did, maybe a little bit more. Probably only gotten that far cause it was a MGS game, any other game I probably would've quit sooner. It was fun in short doses, but I hated having to redo missions if I failed it but got to a certain point in it.

mmmm....interesting...I'm not that big a fan of MGS games to begin with...but I bought this game since there aren't many games that interest me for the PSP...hopefully I'll find it fun to play....

i went looking for plus today and nobody had it:cry:
I will buy a copy of the first portable ops if anyone wants to sell.

[quote name='Mr. Roper']i went looking for plus today and nobody had it:cry:
I will buy a copy of the first portable ops if anyone wants to sell.[/QUOTE]

I still see it at a Wal-Mart near me. The tag says 29.96 but I haven't actually had it scanned to see if it's mislabelled. If you're dying for a new copy, drop me a PM and I'll check the price and can ship it to you.

I was bored by it, despite being a MGS whore. I want to give it another shot, but I was very unimpressed the last time I played it. Awful controls, too.

Yea I just bought PO+, but I don't even own the original PO. I might have to borrow my friend's copy, or attempt to jump online now. (I so want to make a team of Seals and Rainbow Genome Soldiers).

Cuz it is boring. Playing MGS games on the psp is impossible.

I bought the giant sticks for the psp, and its still hard as hell.

Disappointing.. notice how quick the game dropped to 19.99 lol

bread's done
Back