Why Amazon deserves every Cheapy they get

bvharris

CAGiversary!
Feedback
211 (100%)
I usually don't go in for this sort of testimonial, but when I have such a stellar experience I feel I owe it to Amazon (and CAG) to share it. They've earned it.

First, the bad news: They lost my Dragon Age II - Signature Edition. Or FedEx lost it. Someone did anyway, and it wasn't me.

This was obviously quite vexing, since I ordered it in October and as most of you are no doubt aware, it was only available for those who pre-ordered before January. As always happens, the value has skyrocketed since it obviously sold out.

Typically, if a shipment is lost they send another one right away, and this has happened to me several times. Obviously part of me hoped that they would just have another lying around and send me that, but of course I feared they wouldn't and I was right: None left in stock.

Now of course they offered both to ship me a standard version and give me a full refund (which they did ultimately), but since I've been waiting for this game for months and it would probably never be possible to get it again at retail price, I was understandably upset.

After several e-mails with customer service, during which I'll admit I did hang the prospect of taking my business elsewhere (though I didn't necessarily mean it) I finally got this e-mail:

Hello,

I've read our previous e-mails with you, and I'm sorry all of your concerns weren't addressed in previous correspondence.

I'm sorry to hear that your order for "Dragon Age 2 - Bioware Signature Edition" was not yet delivered. Please understand normally we create a replacement order in such cases, however we don't have any more stock of "Dragon Age 2 - Bioware Signature Edition" right now, and we're not sure when we'll be able to get more. I realize this has been a frustrating experience, and I'm very sorry about this.

However, I do understand your situation, and I may have a simple solution for you. I see that we've already issued a refund for this video game when you contacted us last time. I request you to place a new for "Dragon Age 2 - Bioware Signature Edition" from one of our registered third party sellers on our website and write back to us with your order number, so we'll refund you the price difference in a form of a promotion certificate.

So essentially they had me buy one from the Marketplace and they paid the difference. Yeah, they're paying it in credit, but it's all the same to someone who spends as much on Amazon as I do.

I know saying Amazon is awesome is beating a dead horse around here, but I just thought this story was the perfect example of how wonderful they are and I told them I would sing their praises so here I am.

[quote name='whoknows']Did you buy one of the $500 copies?[/QUOTE]

Haha, no. I bought the cheapest one from a seller with more than a couple feedback. The price wouldn't have made any difference though since I would have been paying that much out of pocket and that money would be going to a seller rather than Amazon.

Well, at least you got it. I just have to ask, was it a foreign cs rep or a local rep that handled your case? I never get any justice out of the foreign ones. Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's lost? Did it say delivered and you never received it, or it was shipped out but never got any information after that?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='skiizim']Well, at least you got it. I just have to ask, was it a foreign cs rep or a local rep that handled your case? I never get any justice out of the foreign ones. Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's lost? Did it say delivered and you never got received it, or it was shipped out but never got any information after that?[/QUOTE]

The latter. If it shows up I'll send it back to them though, they've earned my honesty here.

And I'm pretty sure it was a foreign rep, though I can't be 100% sure since I'm just going by the names (there were 3 different people who e-mailed me).

That is excellent paying the difference on an Out of Stock title--it shows that they really stand by getting that product to you at their initial price no matter what.

I have a similar story. I ordered a Kindle and it was supposed to be delivered about a week before Christmas, but UPS lost it. Amazon sent me a replacement one, free of charge, that showed up on Christmas Eve. Then, the next day, the one that UPS lost showed up. Amazon is a wonderful company. Kudos to them.

[quote name='bvharris']And I'm pretty sure it was a foreign rep, though I can't be 100% sure since I'm just going by the names (there were 3 different people who e-mailed me).[/QUOTE]

I get a good number of reps stationed in Costa Rica and they've always been incredibly helpful. I suppose quality of service is a big YMMV.

[quote name='Tardcore']I have a similar story. I ordered a Kindle and it was supposed to be delivered about a week before Christmas, but UPS lost it. Amazon sent me a replacement one, free of charge, that showed up on Christmas Eve. Then, the next day, the one that UPS lost showed up. Amazon is a wonderful company. Kudos to them.[/QUOTE]

That happen to me about five years back or so. It was for a rareish cd. They made a replacement order and the original cd arrived about a month later. Actually a year or two ago I ordered Call of Jurez 2 and it came all smashed up, the game was literally in dozens of pieces and Amazon immediately sent me a replacement copy.

[quote name='GUNNM']Wow why is it 100$ for signature edition if it only comes with some DLC?[/QUOTE]

Cuz people are idiots and will and have been paying for DLC. I still don't understand why either.

lol.... I have kind of a funny story. My very first order with Amazon, I can't remember what I ordered but I remember I received some country CD instead of my game. Everybody always told me Amazon is so awesome and this happens to me my first time.

Amazon did make it right, I remember it being a Friday and called them early enough so they can send out a replacement NDA Saturday delivery.

Last edited by a moderator:
You got a country cd instead? Now that's an insult. Some other kind of music probably an honest mistake, but a country cd? Ouch.

I love amazon, and this story is awesome. I've been having issues with them though. They keep using those fold up "box" pieces of cardboard to ship games that come in boxes. Imagine the PSP LEs coming in one of those, or a dvd season. Needless to say they are always utterly destroyed. They NEVER used to use these. How many bad packaging feedbacks does it take to stop this madness! lol

Amazon credit is as good as real cash to me.

Amazon's customer service should be a model for the rest of the industry to follow.

Amazon is awesome, I haven't had a problem with the cardboard yet but I have also gotten bubble envelopes containing games from Amazon as well. I am assuming if they have to send a larger game like a PSP limited edition they send it in an actual box which is what they have always done for me.

[quote name='david12795']sometimes i wonder how amazon is still in business...they are amazing.[/QUOTE]

110969-146348-scooby-doo_large.jpg

Hur?

Let's just hope the day never comes when eBay and Amazon "merge".

I ordered 6 things on Thursday at 4 AM. Some were from third party sellers but shipped by Amazon so they split into three shipments and they all got here by Friday before 3 PM. Can't beat that.

I agree, while something like this has never happened to me Amazon has always been very good to me with issues both as a buyer and a seller. I sell more on there than eBay even though they take a bigger cut because they actually investigate disputes rather than side with the buyer 99.999% of the time.

[quote name='vodkablast']I ordered 6 things on Thursday at 4 AM. Some were from third party sellers but shipped by Amazon so they split into three shipments and they all got here by Friday before 3 PM. Can't beat that.[/QUOTE]

I have that beat. Ordered BDs and DVDs from FYE.com years back because they had killer mail in rebates, ordered them at 1am they were at my house at 9:30 the next morning from NY to MA. I can't imagine how they got there so fast, completely unfathomable short of them driving them straight to my house.

Amazon amazes me. I've had very few problems with them over the years.

Last year I ordered a game that had free release date delivery. It shows up on the afternoon of its released date, so I have no problem. Later that evening, I check my email, and Amazon had sent an apology--with a free $10 credit--for the shipping on the game being "Delayed". I scratched my head, and kept reading the details of the email--for that particular item, they considered release date by midnight of the previous day! So, since I had not gotten the game by midnight the day before (and you know, not even out on the B&M shelves yet), I got a credit. I was totally not expecting that (hell, I didn't even have a complaint with the service!).

bread's done
Back