Why are games fun? (Serious research topic inside)

kev

CAGiversary!
I'm working on a research project exploring the use of gaming as a model for education. The basic thesis is that video games have a unique ability to hold a person's attention (particularly males where education is generally hurting) for really long periods of time and if we can tap into that for education we would see great success. Additionally, gaming is one of the few things that will cause people to willingly skip food or bathroom breaks just to keep going. While not necessarily healthy it would freaking rock if my students wanted to do that with my classroom content.

As someone who has personally spent up to 12 hours in a game session I have my own opinions but I'd like to know what others think. So, why are games fun? What qualities do they offer over books or even movies that make them so engaging? Note that I'm not asking about "educational" games but just games in general.

Thank you for any responses.

[quote name='kev']I'm working on a research project exploring the use of gaming as a model for education. The basic thesis is that video games have a unique ability to hold a person's attention (particularly males where education is generally hurting) for really long periods of time and if we can tap into that for education we would see great success. Additionally, gaming is one of the few things that will cause people to willingly skip food or bathroom breaks just to keep going. While not necessarily healthy it would freaking rock if my students wanted to do that with my classroom content.

As someone who has personally spent up to 12 hours in a game session I have my own opinions but I'd like to know what others think. So, why are games fun? What qualities do they offer over books or even movies that make them so engaging? Note that I'm not asking about "educational" games but just games in general.

Thank you for any responses.[/quote]

Fun is highly subjective. That said, my own take on why games are fun are their interactivity. Unlike books or movies where you see someone else's story play out in your imagination or a big screen, games allow you to play out a story wherein the protagonist is not passively viewed but actively controlled. In that sense, although the protagonist is someone else (Niko from GTA4, Leon from Resident Evil, Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, etc.), they are really representations of ourselves (aka our avatars) and how we would react in their shoes if we had their abilities. Granted, some stories are 'guided' by rails (the beginning & ending of a story is set), but you, the player, still have a measure of control as to how you achieve that journey. This is also true for FPS... probably moreso due to the fact that you are literally seeing the story playing out from your avatar's viewpoint.

But to truly exemplify why games are fun, you've got to understand how animals work. We, the collective creatures on earth, intrinsically love to solve problems. It goes back to our most base animal survival instincts. It is literally in our nature: Where do I find my next meal? Where do I find my next hiding spot from predators? How do I convince that male/female to copulate w/ me? How will I feed my offspring? How do I raise my offspring? How do I deal w/ the changing environment? This and many other transactions are done by the hundreds, if not thousands, in our heads all throughout our evolution (hell, you could even say our biology was asking those same questions before our own concept of sentience).

As our civilization evolves into more sophisticated forms, so do the problems (as well as the questions we ask ourselves to solve them). Games were a way to solve certain problems in life and gain experience while only sometimes being life-threatening. This is why you can see adolescent animals play-fighting w/ each other. This allows them to gain a glimpse of the upcoming adult life.

Now, we, as humans, have evolved to the point where we've solved enough problems that, instead of adapting to the environment, we manipulate it (for better or worse). But we still have this innate desire to solve things. Unfortunately, since our society has become highly sophisticated, the problems that must be solved can be too overwhelming for any one being so it requires a collaborative process. This process is slow because it must consider all options given by all collaborators. This can be mentally exhausting, even for a collective of minds so they need to have an outlet that rewards them for solving comparatively simple solutions. Enter games (and not necessarily the video kind). Games of all sorts fill that void, that itch that must be scratched in humans' lives, that desire to solve some problem.

There are many answers to that.

Games can be many things because the definition of a game has evolved over the years. For some its the competition with others that draws them in, similar to the way that an athlete gets satisfaction from winning a game. For others its the other experiences, whether that has to do with a game's story, art, or gameplay. For most people here and myself I'd say its a combination of all of those things, but depending on the game each aspect may have a different importance to the player.

[quote name='seanr1221']If you were doing a serious research project, you wouldn't be asking us why games are "fun and addicting".[/QUOTE]

Why did you put quotes around something I didn't say? I never once used the word addicting. You read through my topic and took the time to negatively respond to something I didn't even actually say? Congrats on winning the Internet.

Beyond that, thank you for the responses above that were legit. It is an interesting question to think about for me personally and I'd suspect others have a view different than my own. I mean shoot, people like the Wii...

I see them the same as a good book or movie. It's a form of entertainment, and a good game sucks you into a fantasy world (or a fantasy real world setting) so you can escape for a while.

The interactive nature can add to the experience, by immersing the player more. For me though, I think I get more sucked into a good movie, tv show or book than I do a game. I think I just like going for the ride more rather than having to jump through hoops to get through it.

Of course that really only applies for plot driven games. Other games just suck you in to try to achieve goals, be it winning in sports games, getting high scores etc. Those definitely don't suck me in as much a good story driven game or a great movie though.

But for others, the interactivity is a huge plus and thus they enjoy games more than movies, books etc.

Also you'd probably get more replies if you put this in the General Gaming forum.

[quote name='the3rdkey']A good game is like a good book. It sucks you and you find extreme joy and happiness.[/quote]
What kind of books are you reading, and where can I get them?

I think you might get some interesting incites by comparing gamer personalities to anti-gamers (people who've played games but don't find them enjoyable even after repeated exposure.) I've got a co-worker for instance who can't understand why games are to fun despite trying them numerous times yet her husband and kids were hooked 5 minutes after they hooked up the 360.

Personally I'd say it's due to captivation (something is always going on) and nearly instant gratification (little rewards are constantly occuring). For example if you were to bake a cake it takes time to assemble the ingredients, heat the oven and bake the cake, wait for it to cool and frost it. In a game all the boring down time is removed, you get to mix the ingredients and 10 seconds later a cake pops out.

[quote name='kev']Why did you put quotes around something I didn't say? I never once used the word addicting. You read through my topic and took the time to negatively respond to something I didn't even actually say? Congrats on winning the Internet.

Beyond that, thank you for the responses above that were legit. It is an interesting question to think about for me personally and I'd suspect others have a view different than my own. I mean shoot, people like the Wii...[/QUOTE]

Spending 12 hours on something in one day isn't addicting? :roll:

Look, I'm not being negative, but you don't write a serious research project using anecdotal evidence from the internetz. Eesh.

Thanks for the move and responses.

The point of the research is based on a presentation I heard from the director of of the X-prize foundation. They are considering their next prize to be for a game (or suite of games) that can improve students' math and reading levels a certain amount in a given time.

I'm personally less interested in educational games than the ideas that make gaming work period. I feel that those ideas can be transfered to education to a far greater degree than they are at this point.

That's why I'm interested in what people say they like about games. I know what *I* like about them but seeing other opinions certainly helps.

Also, on this note, does anyone know if Bungie's "Halo is just 30 seconds of fun repeated" is on any of the making of DVDs for their games? I'd love to have that clip available for this.

I would say that the reason I play games is because I have a nasty habit of either constantly worrying about what it going to happen or regretting actions that I have done. Gaming allows me temporary escape from my real-world troubles and to enter a universe that (depending on the game) is focused solely on the task at hand. Killing the enemy team while taking their flag. Leveling up so I can finally beat that boss. Beating that fucking goddamn horrible song on Expert.

[quote name='lunatic_pandora']I would say that the reason I play games is because I have a nasty habit of either constantly worrying about what it going to happen or regretting actions that I have done. Gaming allows me temporary escape from my real-world troubles and to enter a universe that (depending on the game) is focused solely on the task at hand. Killing the enemy team while taking their flag. Leveling up so I can finally beat that boss. Beating that fucking goddamn horrible song on Expert.[/quote]

Brilliant, yes. I agree - it's an escape. Not much else explains how the economy is so bad right now, people are losing their houses in record numbers but the videogame industry is actually more profitable than ever.
I'm almost ashamed to admit but when things were bad in my last marriage and went through 4 jobs in one year, I was definitely depressed. I was very much addicted to The Sims to the point of it being an unhealthy obsession.

I think a lot of games are just fun because they let you do what you otherwise couldn't or wouldn't do in real life.

You've got everything from being a car-jacking thug, to an insane Ninja, to saving the princess.

Not so sure about being categorized as lacking in education as I recently graduated with a Bachelors degree and I'm currently pursuing a professional license for my job... but I can agree that combining education and videogames (an interactive experience at least) is a great idea.

Why do I think games are fun? Numerous reasons: I like a challenge, I like interacting rather than just vegging in front of the TV, and I saw it stated somewhere that gamers like being immersed in a role/world/situation that they could never find themselves in. (Not sure I'll ever find myself battling through a city of zombies, committing organized crime, or covertly infiltrating militant bases in order to destroy their WMD)

Another reason because they give us a sense of accomplishment whether it's getting a high score or beating a boss and going to another level.

Just look at some rpgs. Some people will try to max out their character's stats, what for? Look at games like brain age, make them do simple math problems, then hand out a score and people think it's a game.

I grew up playing those PC games with that rabbit ( i forget the series). They were more fun than doing math problems on a sheet of paper but I don't think I "learned" from it. Games can help refresh/review what you've learned but I don't think anyone would go back to see what they did wrong and then actually learn from it.

Educational games are a waste, I'd agree with that. My interest is not in that but in taking the things that make games work and applying them to education. I'll leave game design to the game designers.

Games can represent a quick and always reachable challenge in an otherwise mundane world. I remember a day at work where I was particularly happy, not because anything interesting happened, or I had any real reason to be there, but because I knew once the day was over I could go back to playing Soul Calibur III.
In addition, a new game will provide the player with a world to interact and adapt to. In this way, a 2-hour gaming session can be like a mini vacation, as there is variety and mystery to every new title.

Finally, I say a good point to bring up at some point in a gaming and education essay is how gamers are able to adapt. I've noticed my friends who are gamer are more likely to understand a new concept, such as an electronic or program, quicker than a non gamer. This is because we deal with new UI's, controllers, goals, etc. more often than the average person.

Achievement.

Achieving goals is the cause for addiction to games. This is why educational games fail, you do the same activity over and over, and it causes you to wonder if you actually solved the NPC's problem...or question their reality. Sure, in games you do the same slash over and over, but you solve and person's problems...and they have no more problems. That's it. But although it ended, you feel like you've accomplished something for that person or towards a goal. This is what drives players.

bread's done
Back