Why are people buying the 3DS and not the VITA?

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
261 (100%)
Please Note: I am not a fanboy, I own both consoles and have plenty of games for each.

Why are people buying the 3DS and not the Vita?

I've been a longtime handheld fan and lately I've just been scratching my head as to why the 3DS is selling and not the VITA.

1. Cost - So $170 vs. $250...seems like a pretty big difference but now the XL is $200 and people are buying it. $250 is a lot but...before launch people were praising the price.

2. Game Cost - It seems on average that both 3DS and Vita games are $40. Both have cheaper games (eshop vs. PSN). Overall I think game spending for either system on average with a mixture of titles would be pretty even.

3. 3D - The Vita doesn't have it...Is that a deterrent?

4. Games - 3DS has had a decent surge lately but maybe I'm just not as excited for some of the upcoming titles. NSMB2 doesn't interest me but I loved 3D land. Luigi doesn't interest me and I'm still not sure if I'll grab Paper Mario or not. Resident Evil Revelations is pretty awesome for those that don't have it. Kid Icarus is fun (haven't finished it). eShop - Mutant Mudds is great, have Pushmo haven't played it but have heard good things, Mighty Switch Force I have, haven't played, but have heard good things as well.

Vita has had a slow start but has had some good games. I'm currently playing Unit 13 which is great, Gravity Rush is great, Uncharted (I finished) was awesome IMO. The PSN has had some fun games like Mutant Blobs, Escape Plan, Motorstorm RC, and Pinball Arcade.

So all in all I guess I'm just curious as to why people aren't picking up the VITA. I see it as a very powerful and capable device and honestly for me probably a handheld I hoped for (it terms of power) for years.

I realize iphone will also enter this discussion but in terms of a dedicated handheld device right now I see the playing field as pretty even so what's the deciding factor?

[quote name='GUNNM']You can't play Zelda OOT on the vita.[/QUOTE]

True...lol. Which reminds me, I need to get back to that as well.

Watered down Uncharted and racing games just aren't appealing to me on a handheld, which was the same issue for the PSP -- very few games took advantage of the hardware in interesting ways. Gravity Rush looks really cool, but $250 just ain't worth it right now.

And I don't see anything in the 3DS, either. But right now it's cheaper and has a name that's appealing to a much larger demographic. Parents don't buy little kids VITAs, so what Sony needs to do is get some mature and professional looking games for its system, and people like me will eventually cave.

Games. It always comes down to the games. Same answer to why people were playing 360 more 2-3 years ago but are now transitioning to the PS3.

I have a Vita right now but there are much more games on the 3DS I'd rather be playing and I don't even have a 3DS.

I really don't like shooters on handhelds (rather play them on a giant HDTV) and I think the general public feels the same way. Platformers are much more fun on handhelds. When Pokemon comes out for the 3DS, forget about it. Sales are going to increase even further.

Right now the 3DS has more fun games to play than the Vita and I am really not surprised that the Vita isn't doing so well.

I bought the Vita for Monster Hunter and PSO2 but it looks like those games aren't coming to the US any time soon...

[quote name='panzerfaust']Watered down Uncharted and racing games just aren't appealing to me on a handheld, which was the same issue for the PSP -- very few games took advantage of the hardware in interesting ways. Gravity Rush looks really cool, but $250 just ain't worth it right now.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's how I feel about the Vita at the moment too. I'll pick one up eventually, but I don't really feel compelled to go out and get one any time soon.

The 3DS isn't anywhere near the DS yet in terms of its game library, but it does have some of the types of games I personally feel are well suited to a handheld, such as Rhythm Thief, Theatrhythm, and Ghost Recon Shadow Wars. And it has some promising stuff on the horizon like Code of Princess, so I don't regret owning one right now.

For me personally, not in a particular order:

1. Price

2. Games. On 3DS, I've only purchased two so far, but there are three on my "definite purchase" list, with others as possibilities. To contrast, there are 0 games on Vita I've seen that I want, because, like others, the only ones I want I can already play on PS3 (and would prefer to play there).

3. 3D screen. It's a small gimmick, but it at least makes the handheld interesting enough to warrant Nintendo releasing a successor to the DS. I already have a PSP, and the specs of the Vita aren't compelling enough for me to see it as a justifiable upgrade: other than the usual upgrade of the processing power, what did they add.. a second analog stick and a couple of touch screens? Playing games on a 3D screen is something I always wanted to try (even if the "wow" factor doesn't last forever), but playing games with two touch screens isn't something that would compel me to shell out a few hundred bucks to try it.

Beyond that, the other Vita drawbacks that I see people complaining about here on CAG-- regarding a lack of backwards compatibility, lack of sales, extremely overpriced low-capacity memory cards, etc.-- have also kept me away from the Vita.

It's kind of confusing to me too.

1. I remember when the price was announced everyone was cheering for it as well. What happened?

2. I don't understand how people who say that they don't want to play long, 8-10 hour console games on a handheld can turn around and buy a 3DS. Especially when the system's best selling game is a port of an old console game (Zelda). Couple that with the fact that most people say games were longer back then than they are now...and it just doesn't make sense. Not to mention that if people do want to be able to play console games on the go, Vita's cross play is something the 3DS can't match.

3. People say they don't want to play "watered down" console ports either. They'd rather have games crafted specifically for the handheld that take advantage of its unique features. Why, then, would anyone choose a 3DS when it's only "unique" feature is the 3D (which has been available on TV's for years, and better, too)? Its graphics rival GameCube or Wii but its controls aren't capable of replicating them, with only one analog stick. Kid Icarus Uprising is, without a doubt, one of the worst controlling handheld games I've played, which is a shame because the game itself seemed like it would have been pretty good! It's like the PSP all over again. At least the Vita's front and reach touch capability, front and rear cameras, and gyroscope give developers the opportunity for making gameplay unique to the platform.

4. Game selection. Vita's launch lineup was, without a doubt, much better than the 3DS'. Heck, even better than the PS3's and 360's. Sure, Sony should have probably spaced the games out better instead of releasing a bunch of games in Feb and nothing until June, and that's a marketing issue. But it's a bit hypocritical for first adopters of the 3DS to say that Vita "has no games" when the 3DS' first "noteworthy" game was an N64 port. And if we're talking about the upcoming games for each platform, I'd really like to know what the 3DS has to compete with Assassin's Creed, Playstation All-Stars, LBP, and Call of Duty on the Vita.

Vita's the better handheld, but I think it's just the price, and nothing more, that is helping Nintendo and hurting Sony. A $170 Nintendo handheld is just going to sell on its own thanks to the success of the GameBoy and DS, even if the 3DS itself is a pretty underwhelming product in comparison. Plus the Vita's overpriced memory cards and ridiculous prices for certain games aren't doing it any favors.

Cross-play seems to be working for Sony, though. Packing in free Vita versions of this year's biggest PS3 games is a very smart strategy, and something that Nintendo simply can't do with their handheld. If Sony continues to do this, the Vita's future could look a lot brighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='panzerfaust']Watered down Uncharted[/QUOTE] I've heard this quite a few times but having played the game to completion I don't get it. It didn't feel watered down at all. I think there were some elements that were lame (rubbing touchscreen, walking on logs) but overall it was a great game and these small things didn't detract from the experience. I felt everyone was overly nit-picky with this game.

For me, it was purely a matter of expense. When the 3DS came out, I had a job, and I splurged on picking one up. When the Vita came out, I didn't have a job, and couldn't justify the cost to myself. Now I have a job once again. But I bought a new laptop recently, and it is really hard to convince yourself that the $250 handheld is worth it after just spending $550 on a new computer.

I've got to pace myself. I will almost certainly pick up a Vita eventually. Right now I'm just waiting to see the right game. Right now there seem to mainly be ports for games that I already have on the PS3. I'll probably pull the trigger when I see some Vita-exclusive titles that really shine. I would LOVE to see an adventure game on the Vita. Either point-and-click or visual-novel style, I would take either.

It seems everyone has similar complaints: " I can play that on the PS3."

The same could be said about the 3DS...I can play Ocarina of Time on a number of consoles. Yes it's updated and 3D but ultimately the same game. New Super Mario Bros. 2 is not too far off from New Super Mario Bros. on Wii. I'm not saying I mind but if you are going to use that argument you have to admit it goes both ways. Luigis Mansion looks similar to the Gamecube version as does Paper Mario...are these going to be watered down versions? See where I'm going with this?

I have and want neither as I don't game on the go enough to need a portable and would never play a small portable at home when I can game on my 50" TV anytime I want. But here are my two cents--that largely agree with the above posts.

1. Cost.

2. Kids. A lot of Nintendo handheld sales are parents buying them for their younger kids. Also just the history of the nintendo handhelds from the GB on (sans virtual boy, but that was too big to be a handheld) being well supported, family friendly etc. Brand loyalty is a powerful thing.

3. Game difference. If someone has a PS3, they can play those type of games already. They may not have a Wii so the 3DS offers something different with the Nintendo franchise games. Even if they have a Wii, there's the novelty of the 3D effect (moot if they have a 3D TV though since some PS3 games support 3D--but still currently the only way to play Nintendo Franchises in 3D).

For me, the last portable I bought was the DS (and the GBA before it) and my sole reasons for getting them were they had a lot of great 2D games, and you don't find many of those on the consoles.

Now that the portables are 3D games mainly too, I have no reason to get one. I'm fine playing some simple games on my iPhone or iPad if I get an urge to game when away from home. But I'm more likely to read when stuck on a plane or in a waiting room etc. these days.

[quote name='jkam']It seems everyone has similar complaints: " I can play that on the PS3."[/QUOTE]

There's a difference between a version for another system, and a straight port. One of the advantages of the 3DS is that anything released on it is not a straight port, as the 3D element gets added. (and presumably wasn't present before)

On the Vita, several of the better titles are literally just straight ports. Mortal Kombat and Marvel Vs. Capcom are both supposed to be solid Vita entries, but they are beat-for-beat ports of their console counterparts. This is exactly why Sony is starting to look into the whole Cross-Play thing. If some of the PS3 games I buy have a Vita version that comes along for the ride, I would be willing to pick up the hardware just to take advantage of that feature. As it stands now, I have no real interest in buying multiple copies of the same game for different systems. (even if one of those systems is on-the-go)

Right now, the 3DS has quite a few high-profile games that don't exist on other platforms. And several of them are part of major Nintendo franchises. That's not easy to compete against. Personally, I haven't bought all that many 3DS games, as most of the first-party titles don't tend to go on sale often.

I think it comes down to intelligence. I own both so I'm not trying to say you're stupid for buying a 3DS verus a Vita but what I'm trying to say is that you're stupid if you say the Vita is priced too high but are okay with how the 3DS is priced.

It's the same thing with the 360 and PS3 circa 6 or 7 years ago. At launch the PS3 had much more advanced technology. That doesn't mean it is a better system but it means Sony should get some slack for pricing it higher then the 360. I mean what features from a tech standpoint did the 360 have that the original xbox didn't? If anything the 360 should have been cheaper at launch.

Basically consumers in America are cheap, stupid, and easily manipulated; they want what they can afford now versus what is a better investment.

[quote name='Richard Kain']There's a difference between a version for another system, and a straight port. One of the advantages of the 3DS is that anything released on it is not a straight port, as the 3D element gets added. (and presumably wasn't present before)

On the Vita, several of the better titles are literally just straight ports. Mortal Kombat and Marvel Vs. Capcom are both supposed to be solid Vita entries, but they are beat-for-beat ports of their console counterparts. This is exactly why Sony is starting to look into the whole Cross-Play thing. If some of the PS3 games I buy have a Vita version that comes along for the ride, I would be willing to pick up the hardware just to take advantage of that feature. As it stands now, I have no real interest in buying multiple copies of the same game for different systems. (even if one of those systems is on-the-go)

Right now, the 3DS has quite a few high-profile games that don't exist on other platforms. And several of them are part of major Nintendo franchises. That's not easy to compete against. Personally, I haven't bought all that many 3DS games, as most of the first-party titles don't tend to go on sale often.[/QUOTE]

If you take a game and add 3D to it is no longer classified as a port? If you say so....

[quote name='Richard Kain']There's a difference between a version for another system, and a straight port. One of the advantages of the 3DS is that anything released on it is not a straight port, as the 3D element gets added. (and presumably wasn't present before)[/QUOTE]

That's kind of grasping at straws. Ocarina and Starfox are ports, updated yes, different game no.

[quote name='Richard Kain']On the Vita, several of the better titles are literally just straight ports. Mortal Kombat and Marvel Vs. Capcom are both supposed to be solid Vita entries, but they are beat-for-beat ports of their console counterparts. This is exactly why Sony is starting to look into the whole Cross-Play thing. If some of the PS3 games I buy have a Vita version that comes along for the ride, I would be willing to pick up the hardware just to take advantage of that feature. As it stands now, I have no real interest in buying multiple copies of the same game for different systems. (even if one of those systems is on-the-go)[/QUOTE]

Cross-Play has already been announced which includes free VITA versions when you buy the PS3 game.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Right now, the 3DS has quite a few high-profile games that don't exist on other platforms. And several of them are part of major Nintendo franchises. That's not easy to compete against. Personally, I haven't bought all that many 3DS games, as most of the first-party titles don't tend to go on sale often.[/QUOTE]

The Vita has some high-profile games that don't exist on other platforms too. Gravity Rush, Unit 13 etc. Again it goes both ways.

[quote name='jkam']

The Vita has some high-profile games that don't exist on other platforms too. Gravity Rush, Unit 13 etc. Again it goes both ways.[/QUOTE]

How quick people forget how horribly fucking awful the launch of the 3DS was.

I wanted to find excused to play mine so bad; I picked up Rayman and Street Fighter 3D and maybe stomached an hour of total play time between the two and let the system collect dust until Zelda OOT came out which was mildly amusing. Thank god though for Super Mario 3D Land and RE Revelations.

[quote name='GBAstar']I think it comes down to intelligence. I own both so I'm not trying to say you're stupid for buying a 3DS verus a Vita but what I'm trying to say is that you're stupid if you say the Vita is priced too high but are okay with how the 3DS is priced.

It's the same thing with the 360 and PS3 circa 6 or 7 years ago. At launch the PS3 had much more advanced technology. That doesn't mean it is a better system but it means Sony should get some slack for pricing it higher then the 360. I mean what features from a tech standpoint did the 360 have that the original xbox didn't? If anything the 360 should have been cheaper at launch.

Basically consumers in America are cheap, stupid, and easily manipulated; they want what they can afford now versus what is a better investment.[/QUOTE]

You have to be the first person I hear refer to buying a video game system as an investment.

[quote name='GBAstar']How quick people forget how horribly fucking awful the launch of the 3DS was.

I wanted to find excused to play mine so bad; I picked up Rayman and Street Fighter 3D and maybe stomached an hour of total play time between the two and let the system collect dust until Zelda OOT came out which was mildly amusing. Thank god though for Super Mario 3D Land and RE Revelations.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the launch was so bad. I tried to like Street Fighter 3D but man that game was busted.

[quote name='iamsobroke']You have to be the first person I hear refer to buying a video game system as an investment.[/QUOTE]

I'm not just talking about video games consoles when I state:

"consumers in America are cheap, stupid, and easily manipulated; they want what they can afford now versus what is a better investment."

But yes they can be.

I'd say investing $600 in a launch PS3 and getting 7 years of enjoyment out if it; having a blu-ray player and WiFi in a console from the begginning of the generation is a much better financial investment then waiting 4,5,6,7 years and plopping down $250 to get a year or two of enjoyment out of it before the next generation is released.

And who knows how the Vita will be incorporated with the next Sony console. It is technologically advanced enough where it wouldn't be a stretch to think it could interact with the PS4.

I do know we'll see several different variations of the 3DS with the same end result until it is scrapped for the next nintendo handheld. But as microsoft and nintendo have already proved consumers will bitch at the $250 price tag for the vita but yet they'll buy 3 or 4 of the same slightly cheaper consoles during a generation span due to stupidity and brand loyalty (and equipment failure and revisions).

The problem with the Vita is that it's pretty much just a handheld PS3. This is why the appeal for the Vita is so low since if you don't care about the PS3 or Sony franchises then there is no reason to buy a Vita. The 3DS appeals to anyone since it's nothing like any of the home consoles. If I'm going to spend money on a handheld I want it to offer me a unique experience and that I can't get on my home consoles.

Also the Vita has many drawbacks like its size, price, and lack of games. I think Sony really shot themselves in the foot with the whole cross buy program. Sure its nice to get the vita games for free but it just reminds you that most vita games are also on PS3.

I think that a lot more people would have purchased the Vita if it was (somehow) backward compatible. I think that the majority of PSP owners don't feel the need to buy a Vita b/c it's more of a new system than an upgrade. Not that it can't be considered an upgrade, just an expensive one (memory card and buying all of our PSP games again as downloads).
Just look at Nintendo's history of handhelds - Gameboy to Gameboy Color (could play GB games), GBC to GBA (could play GB and GBC games), GBA to DS (could play GBA but not GB/GBC), DS to DSi (can't play GBA but new features), DSi to 3DS (can play DS, carries along DSi features, plus new 3DS features). (Not to mention all of the minor "upgrades" in between like GB pocket, GBA SP, DSi XL, etc.)

All of those small things are reasons people haven't/won't/don't want to buy, but I think it boils down to one thing as to why 3DS is selling and Vita isn't.

Nintendo has been in the handheld business for 23 years.

People know and recognize this, and it's a name they trust when it comes to the portable console. The orignal DS/DSLite sold gangbusters, largely outselling the PSP. PSP was viewed poorly for a lot of other small reasons(mostly unjustly, IMO), and that's another reason the common consumer isn't going to jump back into another Sony portable console. Price, in terms of the system itself & the proprietary memory cards, are number 2 on the list.

Most of the other reasons are silly to me. Vita has nearly the same amount of good games that 3DS has. Vita's power and graphics far outdo that of the 3DS. On paper, nearly everything Vita does is better. But, Nintendo is nintendo. People want to buy Nintendo stuff for their kids. People will go with the cheaper option. And, there are just enough of us hardcore games out there who love Nintendo to give them all the hardcore support they need.

For the record, I own both. I bought both at launch, paid retail for each, and have experienced the shortcomings of each firsthand. That all being said, I can't point one out as my favorite. I do hope they both succeed and I hope their companies succeed as well, as I grew up on Ninty & Sony, and I love their games.

[quote name='Richard Kain']There's a difference between a version for another system, and a straight port. One of the advantages of the 3DS is that anything released on it is not a straight port, as the 3D element gets added. (and presumably wasn't present before)

Right now, the 3DS has quite a few high-profile games that don't exist on other platforms. And several of them are part of major Nintendo franchises. That's not easy to compete against. Personally, I haven't bought all that many 3DS games, as most of the first-party titles don't tend to go on sale often.[/QUOTE]

I have yet to play MvC3 on Vita, but MK is certaily not a "beat-for-beat" port. There are new sections in challenge towers that require touchscreen mechanics. There are touchscreen controls. There's a few other small things, but MK on Vita is no more a port than OoT is for 3DS.

Also just want to say, the "I can play that on PS3 already" argument is stupid. For years I've heard people say, "I wish handhelds were up to date with consoles, how cool would it be to have a N64/PS2/PS3 in your pocket?". It's now here, and now it's not what we want. Huh? These games may not be quite as great as their PS3 counterparts, but they are great nonetheless. Uncharted? Really good, even stunning at parts. Using back-touch to zoom in was an extremely welcome addition. Using the gyroscope to help tweak your aim to get more headshots? Works surprisingly well. These are things that haven't really been done on a shooter like that, and were a joy to discover. Also, Gravity Rush is simply amazing and wouldn't have worked on a PS3. Sometimes I just don't get my fellow gamers.

[quote name='Mixer236']
Also just want to say, the "I can play that on PS3 already" argument is stupid. For years I've heard people say, "I wish handhelds were up to date with consoles, how cool would it be to have a N64/PS2/PS3 in your pocket?". It's now here, and now it's not what we want. Huh? [/QUOTE]

That is true.

Not for me though, as noted the only reason I ever bought any portables was to get types of games (i.e. 2D games) that were lacking on the consoles.

I'd say it's a niche (though a sizable one) of gamers that are hardcore enough to want to play the same type of games on their home consoles and a portable console. That's really only going to appeal to people who have gaming as their main hobby, a lot of free time to play games, are on the go a lot (or share 1 tv at home) and thus have times they want to game but can't play on their console/TV.

Nintendo gets beyond that large niche by appealing so much to kids and parents. Maybe getting some sales to hardcore gamers who love Nintendo but don't really want a Wii etc. Where as the Vita really only appeals to the people who want to play PS3 like games on the go.

One point that has only been mention in passing is that the rise of smart phones and tablets has hurt portable sales. A lot of people are like me and fine just playing some simple games on their phone or tablet if they get the itch for gaming on the go. I know a couple gaming friends who bought Vitas and sold them off as they just preferred gaming on their phone vs. having to lug the Vita around too. They acknowledged the games weren't as good as Vita games, but they just didn't really have time to invest in full games on work breaks etc. anyway, and would rather play on their big screens at home.

Nintendo misses some of that problem too since parents are probably still more apt to buy their kid a DS than a tablet (and few young kids will get smartphones)--though I wonder if iPod touches have cut into DS sales some as I do see a lot of young kids with those.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That is true.

Not for me though, as noted the only reason I ever bought any portables was to get types of games (i.e. 2D games) that were lacking on the consoles.

I'd say it's a niche (though a sizable one) of gamers that are hardcore enough to want to play the same type of games on their home consoles and a portable console. That's really only going to appeal to people who have gaming as their main hobby, a lot of free time to play games, are on the go a lot (or share 1 tv at home) and thus have times they want to game but can't play on their console/TV.

Nintendo gets beyond that large niche by appealing so much to kids and parents. Maybe getting some sales to hardcore gamers who love Nintendo but don't really want a Wii etc. Where as the Vita really only appeals to the people who want to play PS3 like games on the go.

One point that has only been mention in passing is that the rise of smart phones and tablets has hurt portable sales. A lot of people are like me and fine just playing some simple games on their phone or tablet if they get the itch for gaming on the go. I know a couple gaming friends who bought Vitas and sold them off as they just preferred gaming on their phone vs. having to lug the Vita around too. They acknowledged the games weren't as good as Vita games, but they just didn't really have time to invest in full games on work breaks etc. anyway, and would rather play on their big screens at home.

Nintendo misses some of that problem too since parents are probably still more apt to buy their kid a DS than a tablet (and few young kids will get smartphones)--though I wonder if iPod touches have cut into DS sales some as I do see a lot of young kids with those.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, you actually mentioned a few things I forgot to in my post that was previous to the one you quoted. :lol:

And yes, I think Apple has taken a huge chunk out of handheld gaming... I would say, however, that it didn't really start getting mega popular until after the GBA. Though, in some ways, I think Apple has also given more business over to Nintendo... iPods didn't become uber popular until around the launch of the DS, and that's the best selling portable of all time. That can't be merely coincidence, right?

The GB and GBA sold gangbusters too though. So it could just be the continued progression of Nintendo's dominance in that area expanding the market.

I don't think Apple got more kids into handheld gaming, and there's no denying kids are the hugest chunk of Nintendo's handheld market as the game library and marketing efforts are enough to show that. Maybe some adults got into it and decided to buy a DS for Brain Age etc. though I suppose.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The GB and GBA sold gangbusters too though. So it could just be the continued progression of Nintendo's dominance in that area expanding the market.

I don't think Apple got more kids into handheld gaming, and there's no denying kids are the hugest chunk of Nintendo's handheld market as the game library and marketing efforts are enough to show that. Maybe some adults got into it and decided to buy a DS for Brain Age etc. though I suppose.[/QUOTE]

True. Perhaps with the Wii bringing alot of adults into gaming, they went with a DS too. I hadn't realized the GBA sold as well as it did, after looking up the numbers it was sitting at 81 million units... That looks to include sales of the SP & mini. However, DS(again, including lite, i & XL models) is at about 152 million units. For whatever the reason, there's been quite the explosion of interest in handheld gaming over the past 8 or so years.

[quote name='iamsobroke']You have to be the first person I hear refer to buying a video game system as an investment.[/QUOTE]
if you want real investment in entertainment you gotta play magic and yugioh!

when you're done playing competitively your deck will be worth the same as what you paid for it!

i will buy a vita when persona 4 comes out.
vita needs a killer app to take off. 3ds is getting its big games out soon if not already, that's probably why it's selling better. the psp never had a big game.

It's like the 360.. sure it was far inferior to the PS3 but it came out first. I was sold on the Vita but the 3DS came out first and I'm an absolute sucker for Nintendo 1st party software even though I was salty as fuck at the price drop.. yet here I am waiting for my XL to arrive as well. Goes to show you, it's all about the software. What are the killer Vita games?

[quote name='QiG']It's like the 360.. sure it was far inferior to the PS3 but it came out first. I was sold on the Vita but the 3DS came out first and I'm an absolute sucker for Nintendo 1st party software even though I was salty as fuck at the price drop.. yet here I am waiting for my XL to arrive as well. Goes to show you, it's all about the software. What are the killer Vita games?[/QUOTE]

Gravity Rush. It's my favorite game so far this year, by a good bit.

I don't own either system (I am not a big fan of portable gaming) so I don't have a dog in the fight, but the only explanation I can come up with is that Nintendo is a known entity (brand recognition) in the market. It caters to the masses. Nintendo makes games that most folks will buy in droves regardless of their overall quality. This was true for certain Wii games as well. So there you have it.

Easy. You could trade a DS/DSL/DSi/DSi XL towards one, because you won't lose access to your DS games. On the Vita, I'd have to buy a memory card and keep my PSP, since I still have a bunch of UMDs.

Add to that, there's only two games I want to play on the Vita so far: Gravity Rush and Ragnarok, the latter isn't even out. And P4 and Disgaea 3, but those are ports of games I already own, so it doesn't entice me to buy a Vita.

In short, $450 to play Gravity Rush and Ragnarok isn't enough to make me jump aboard.

[quote name='Mixer236']Gravity Rush. It's my favorite game so far this year, by a good bit.[/QUOTE]

Gravity Rush might be a mighty fine game, but it's got no where near the brand recognition Mario has. Nor does it have the marketing budget. People in general (not necessarily people here) aren't going to buy a Vita for an awesome game if they don't know it exists.

I'd say cost and family friendly are way underrepresented in this thread. As a parent now I can say full well that the 3ds is very much appealing to the Vita.

1. Cost - you can say $170 to $250 isn't that much, but Vita has proprietary memory, so it's really, $180 to $300. Then, if you have multiple kids, each kid is going to get a system (trust me). So 2 kids, it's $360 to $600, 3 kids $540 to $900, etc. Kids tend to come in multiples. And kids tend to break consoles which can lead to increased multiples.

2. Family friendly. I have a PS3 and Wii and must say I have enjoyed my PS3 more. However, I start looking at the library of games I can play with my kids and the PS3 falls very flat. Nintendo, like them or not, almost universally releases games that I can give my kids and not have to worry about the content. That is huge for parents.

[quote name='IceColdKilla44']It's kind of confusing to me too.

1. I remember when the price was announced everyone was cheering for it as well. What happened?[/quote]
The 3DS dropped $80 since the Vita price was announced.
4. Game selection. Vita's launch lineup was, without a doubt, much better than the 3DS'. Heck, even better than the PS3's and 360's. Sure, Sony should have probably spaced the games out better instead of releasing a bunch of games in Feb and nothing until June, and that's a marketing issue. But it's a bit hypocritical for first adopters of the 3DS to say that Vita "has no games" when the 3DS' first "noteworthy" game was an N64 port. And if we're talking about the upcoming games for each platform, I'd really like to know what the 3DS has to compete with Assassin's Creed, Playstation All-Stars, LBP, and Call of Duty on the Vita.
Vita's launch lineup was amazing, but it was competing with a matured 3DS that had a very good lineup at that point. Fair no, but it's hard to get excited about a good launch lineup when the 3DS was developing a good stand-alone line-up at that time.

Obviously, 3DS wins the kids market hands down. As this site is about hardcore gamers and opinions. My 2 cents:
Smash Bros 3ds> Playstation All Stars
NSMB 2, Mario Land 2 > LBP
Castlevania 3DS> Assassin's Creed
Not really sure what 3DS game compares to Call of Duty, but assuming you aren't willing to pay for mobile minutes, you'll have to stay connected to Wifi where your PS3/360 would be a much better experience.

IMO, the Vita just doesn't have the games like the 3DS has. To be honest, it happened with the PSP. The release games sucked on the PSP (I liked Untold Legends but the game did suck). It eventually started releasing great games (Especially JRPGs).

The 3DS has backwards compatibility like others have said which is a good selling point. Sony just needs to step it up with the games so that the Vita can sell better.

New Super Mario Bros. 2
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Final Fantasy Theatrhythm
Resident Evil Revelations
Tales of the Abyss
Kid Icarus Uprising
Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D
Mario Tennis Open
Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy

vs.

Uncharted Golden Abyss
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Rayman Origins
Gravity Rush
MLB 12 The Show
Unit 13
Mortal Combat
Hot Shot Golf World International
Disgaea 3
Wipeout 2048
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Resistance Burning Skys

Vita: Partial PSP/PS1 backwards compatibility. Expensive storage.
3DS: Full playback of DS games(No need to re-buy from eShop). Cheap SD card storage.

I also like the 3DS's user interface and streetpass feature. For less money the 3DS brings more value and better games so far in my opinion, which explains why it is selling so well compared to the Vita. You can have the latest cutting edge tech but with no standout software to take advantage of it, its pretty much useless.

Sony seriously need to cut the cost of storage, stop doing PS3 ports (I doubt it due to Cross Play), and start investing in a dev team to specifically take advantage of the Vita hardware like what they did with the PS3 with NaughtyDog. I think they are starting to do that with media molecule's tearaway.

It really is understandable that the Vita wouldn't be taking off. It launched late against a 3DS that had already had almost a year on the market, and had managed to get a decent catalog of games over its first holiday season. The Vita hasn't even had a holiday release season yet. It just hasn't gotten a chance to get the kind of traction it needs.

There's also the fact that Nintendo managed a major upset in both handhelds' home country of Japan. Nintendo managed to get Monster Hunter on the 3DS. This was huge for them, and has had an enormous effect on the level of Japanese development support the Vita has been receiving. Added to this is the fact that most Japanese studios can safely ignore the Vita in favor of the PSP. While the Vita is still an untested quantity in Japan, the PSP remains a popular and profitable install base. This is exactly why most of the new PSP games that make it across the Pacific these days are JRPGs.

And at the end of the day, neither the 3DS or the Vita are doing nearly as well as Nintendo's other successful handhelds did in their prime. The reason the 3DS was able to buck up after its initial worrisome performance was its rather immense price drop. If Nintendo hadn't swallowed that expense, the present situation would be quite different.

It's still too early to say how this is going to shake out. The previous handheld generation was exceptionally contentious, and saw several upsets in various territories. Predictions at this point are meaningless.

I have stayed away from handhelds all together for the past few years. They were cool when I was younger and I could play my gameboy in the car while I was going somewhere with my parents, but now if I am out of the house then that means I am probably too busy to be playing a video game, and when I am at home I would rather play superior console games on my PS3.

I bought a 3DS at launch but have barely played it. I also bought a PSP (the Gran Turismo bundle) and it is still sitting in its box sealed! I have a launch PSP that I played a bit the first year, but quickly lost interest in it. So as appealing as the tech in the Vita is, I just can't see buying one any time soon.

I see a lot of people putting down the "not wanting to play PS3 games on a portable" argument, but there's no other way to explain it but that. I bought the 3DS on potential based on what the DS did. It was not for the 3D but simply for the fact that it was the successor to the DS with better graphics (in 2D), better online, and the street pass/spot pass stuff. The DS has an incredible library of unique games. Sure, some of the 3DS games aren't quite there yet but when 3DS equivalents of games like Professor Layton, The World Ends With You, Infinite Space, DQ IX (and yes, that was unique in that there was not also a console version released and DQ VIII was probably my favorite PS2 game so to play the sequel it had to be on the DS and nowhere else), not to mention all the other Nintendo IPs like Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, etc, I'll be all set. I probably didn't need to get one at launch - that was simply because it was the new and shiny thing and there hadn't been a new system of any sort in a long time. Had the Vita been the first one out of the gate I probably would have gotten that. But now I don't feel the need.

For the Vita, much like the PSP before it, I certainly liked the concept of it and the games looked and played great. Hell, I probably have 50+ PSP games but I only ever played a handful of them.

Part of my problem is that I don't feel the desire to play a handheld at home. If I'm home, I'm going to play a console. The exception was DQ IX which I played through almost entirely at home. I used to travel a lot for work and played a lot of DS games then. But I don't do that any more so my portable gaming is on the backburner now. I need to play a few 3DS games to get ready for PAX though (want to get Street Pass tags, etc). So I'd say I have a similar view as wwe101 there with the big exception that there were no handheld games when I was a kid (well, unless you count the Coleco football game I played for many hours with it's little LED blips ;)). A handheld for me serves as a gaming device only when I don't have access to a console. So in theory the Vita might seem like a good fit (if I started travelling again). And if that happens I may pick one up. But at least with the DS/3DS I can play some entirely unique games even when I'm home on that rare occasion. Uncharted on the Vita might be a great game, but I can't imagine it is too different from the console series and with Uncharted 1 and 3 still on my backlog I feel no need to add the Vita version to the pile as well. So for me it isn't issue of it having "watered down ports" but of simply having similiar games (whether they are slightly better or worse doesn't matter). Yet I might crack open the 3DS to play the new Layton game or a unique JRPG type game. Note that I actually never really played the Mario games on the DS (or now 3DS), even though I keep buying them, for the same reason I don't want to play Uncharted on the Vita.

Amd even when I did travel, I never felt like the PSP was all that portable - the DS seemed so much more compact and less fragile (and less expensive in case something happened to it). So my PSP had never left the house. I ended up giving my launch PSP to my son a couple of years ago for Christmas along with LBP PSP and he played it for one day and never touched it again. But then again, my kids don't play the DS either - they all prefer console games too.

[quote name='io']I bought a 3DS at launch but have barely played it.

I see a lot of people putting down the "not wanting to play PS3 games on a portable" argument, but there's no other way to explain it but that.[/quote]

But.... you didn't play the 3DS, so I'm not sure about your argument. My thought process is I want to play awesome games. And then you spend the rest of the time talking about how the Vita does not have games and the PSP doesn't have games which is of course the biggest issue to competing with the 3DS.

I get that sometimes it's hard to invest in say a portable game of Madden where you don't have an hour straight to sit down. But with the advent of downloadable content, there are several DS type games on WiiWare/PSN/XboxLive. And they are great at that price point. While the 2 screens and touch screen allowed some "unique" gameplay opportunities on the DS, that completely goes away now that the Wii-U. The Wii-U is essentially a big 3ds (TV being capable of 3D, touch controller being capable of bottom screen). So you should start seeing alot of the same games for Wii-U that the 3DS has been getting. Actually, my biggest desire for Wii-U (doubt it'll happen though) is for it to have a DS/3DS player and get to experience those consoles with big screen gaming.

With save states, new methods of home console play (touch screens/motion control), and downloadable content I think the games between the home and travel keep getting similar whether it's Vita or 3DS so I don't think the whole a Vita is a portable PS3 so why get one is a great argument. I think it comes back to personal preference for games whether people can skip an exclusive Uncharted for Vita yet feel the need to pick up a 3DS to experience a portable exclusive Mario Land or inevitable Zelda exclusive.

Also, not a gamebreaker, but I am highly dissapointed that the Vita has large load times. What was the point of getting rid of the mini-DVD format if the load times are just as long? Sure there is probably a battery benefit, but I can't believe there are minute load times with SD technology. Portable gaming is best in short bursts, not watching load screens.

I want to buy a 3DS, but the games are pretty trashy (bunch of console style games and ports), the system is region locked, and its just got so much mario this and mario that. Its basically the most phoned home system of all time for nintendo, and thats pretty sad. Also, the hardware is pure crap with the cheapest build quality ive ever seen, even the xl feels like a toy and looks like one. The screen scratching issue happens on the just released XL as well, so no way im buying a defective product from nintendo.

I also want to buy a Vita, but the memory card prices are what stopped me so far. Id love a 32 gig vita setup for 250, id dive in immediately. At least with the vita you know you're getting good hardware that doesnt look like its meant for a 5 year old child, but the price is up there and the game selection needs more games.

As to why people are buying a 3DS, its easy enough, they're expecting another DS in terms of software/support, but its going to end up being abandoned by most major publishers other then in japan only. Most people out there do not need a portable gaming only system for 200 bucks with 40 buck games, their smart phones and free/1-5 buck games do them just fine. The age of portables in the west are done and over with.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']But.... you didn't play the 3DS, so I'm not sure about your argument. My thought process is I want to play awesome games. And then you spend the rest of the time talking about how the Vita does not have games and the PSP doesn't have games which is of course the biggest issue to competing with the 3DS.
[/QUOTE]

I think I covered that - I expect the 3DS to have, eventually, the sort of games the DS had that were unique to the console (and I even listed some examples). The PSP and Vita have plenty of games and good ones at that - I never said they didn't so I'm not sure where that came from. There are a lot of PSP games (many of which I own) that I'd love to play if I had unlimited gaming time. But when it comes down to it, I will always pick a console game to play instead. But I did play the occasional DS game over console gaming and expect to do the same with the 3DS (eventually). I admitted that I shouldn't have bought the 3DS at launch. But for sure I'd probably be picking one up this Fall with the games that are coming out.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']
I get that sometimes it's hard to invest in say a portable game of Madden where you don't have an hour straight to sit down. But with the advent of downloadable content, there are several DS type games on WiiWare/PSN/XboxLive. [/QUOTE]

And thats where smart phones and tablets really hurt portables. If you don't have time/interest to play full console style games on a portable, why drop the cash on a 3DS or Vita when there are a ton of free and cheap pick up and play type games you can get on your phone? That's cheaper and you don't have to lug around another gadget to play them.

So I just don't see much of a market for portables any more beyond kids and the niche of hardcore gamers who travel a lot or share the gaming tv at home and thus want to play console style games on a small screen at times.

[quote name='GBAstar']If you take a game and add 3D to it is no longer classified as a port? If you say so....[/QUOTE]
If you did just that sure it is a port. But if you take a game that's not on a modern console add 3D, update the graphics and add new features it becomes a remake.
Remake > Original >= port.

As far a 3ds advantages.

Portability: Due to the clam-shell design I have no qualms sticking and device from the DS line into my pocket with my keys, or throwing it into an over stuffed backpack. I would not do ether with one of sony's handhelds. The 3DS seems like it would also survive a fall better than a Vita, but I haven't seen that tested.

Warranty: Nintendo is knows for it's good customer service when it comes to defective products. Sony is known for the opposite.

Game sequels previous handhelds: Neither of the handhelds has a great library at the moment, but it's a reasonable assumption that a game that was popular on the previous platform will eventually have a sequel the new one. From the DS we have series like, phoenix Wright, professor Layton, Castlevatia, picross, FF, Dragon quest, and stand alones like herny hatsworth, the world ends with you, 999 ect... and that's not even getting into 1st party games.
I can't really think of any non-first party sequels I'm looking forward to on the psp.

[quote name='dmaul1114']And thats where smart phones and tablets really hurt portables. If you don't have time/interest to play full console style games on a portable, why drop the cash on a 3DS or Vita when there are a ton of free and cheap pick up and play type games you can get on your phone? [/QUOTE]
Madden Is hardly typical of a full style console games People tend to want to play a match to completion in a sports game. While most full style console games you sit down and play-for a bit then save and stop, Just like you would on a handheld.

bread's done
Back