Why are people so uptight?

StealOfADeal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Alright I'm new to the site. Found out you can trade and got excited. But people want to trade for the "full price" and I don't get that. I'd rather trade with some exceptions. I realize I won't be getting a "full price deal" I work at Hastings (like gamestop/barnes & noble & vintage stock slammed together) and I'm just looking to trade with my thought in mind it's better then most trade in price and not having to pay gamestop prices for used games. But people are so damn picky with it. And people don't want to trade because I don't have any trades yet... well how the hell is a brother supposed to get some trade rep if no one will trade with him?! More of a vent, trying trying to get people to trade is a hassle on here. People make what culd be so easy and fun worse then trade in stores.

I would totally ship first, but no one will give me a chance. And most of the "new guys" don't reply like the more "established" members.

Dude, you live in Norman. You should be used to uptight people by now. lol

Nice to see another Okie CAG show up on here and not just lurk....

[quote name='HydroX']Dude, you live in Norman. You should be used to uptight people by now. lol

Nice to see another Okie CAG show up on here and not just lurk....[/QUOTE]

I am, thats why I was hoping people wouldn't be like that on here.

My curiosity's piqued. Mind giving some example trades that fell completely through, along with any special terms, and the number of successful trades of the other party? If you're ready and willing to ship first, then it's got to be something else.

i would say as soon as you can make a trade list, set your own rules. the first few people are always going to be uptight since youre a new user and the last couple of years have seen alot of people (even vets on the site) scamming people. alot of them forget we were all newbies at one point, me ive been on for a few years but just got active on trading late 2009, i think i may have done 1 trade before then. some traders want a onesided deal where they get what they want, others like me and many other people on here want a fair trade where we both come out happy

I enjoy helping new CAGs get started. My very first trade on CAG was a nightmare, but a string of very helpful CAGs that followed got me back in the game. I like to pay it forward. :cool:

StealOfADeal, feel free to take a look at my list () and let me know if you see anything you want. We'll get you started, and walk you through whatever questions or concerns you have.

[quote name='Salamando3000']My curiosity's piqued. Mind giving some example trades that fell completely through, along with any special terms, and the number of successful trades of the other party? If you're ready and willing to ship first, then it's got to be something else.[/QUOTE]

I'd also like to know. I'm sure there's an explanation.

First of all, according to CAG rules, you have to be a registered site member for 30 days before posting in the trading forum. (This is one of the measures we've installed for the safety of our members. It's no guarantee against being swindled, but it's a help. See the trading rules here.)

So where were you trying to trade?

I'm new too. I been trying to trade, but been getting crazy offers that are not decent. Worst case, I can order from Amazon. The guides I got from recent drop not sure what to do with it. I'm to the point of thinking of just giving away guides so I don't have to deal with the 1 to 1 trading. Not worth the shipping cost.

Steal and Punisher feel free to check my list as well. As long as you follow CAG guidelines I'll more then happy to make a deal with either of you. We all started as new traders but after a while we become more and more established. Like others have said some of the higher trade rated members have scammed people (it's happened to me) but with the help of the community and mods everything works out alright. Welcome and good luck on your trades.

I found good luck doing some quick trades in the $10-$20 range. Any game less than that people don't generally seem top respond to (and frankly it's not always very cost effective to trade $5 games), but since it's not a $40+ dollar game / new release, people seem to be more easy going about it.

like spanky said ill deal with you guys too if you ever have anything im looking for, and like bigpopov said its best to start small so people are more willing to take the risk. id say spend the next few weeks until you can build your own trade list and just jump around the forums seeing how it goes and get a feel for how some of the vets like to handle trades

[quote name='StealOfADeal']Alright I'm new to the site. Found out you can trade and got excited. But people want to trade for the "full price" and I don't get that. I'd rather trade with some exceptions. I realize I won't be getting a "full price deal" I work at Hastings (like gamestop/barnes & noble & vintage stock slammed together) and I'm just looking to trade with my thought in mind it's better then most trade in price and not having to pay gamestop prices for used games. But people are so damn picky with it. And people don't want to trade because I don't have any trades yet... well how the hell is a brother supposed to get some trade rep if no one will trade with him?! More of a vent, trying trying to get people to trade is a hassle on here. People make what culd be so easy and fun worse then trade in stores.[/QUOTE]
You say you want to trade, but people are picky. Many of us on here ARE super picky on what kind of condition we want stuff we're trading for on here should be in. Why shouldn't we be? We want stuff that doesn't look like the prior owner pulled it out of a shredder. Is that so wrong?

As for not paying Gamestop prices, it's one thing to want a deal but a whole other thing to lowball the bejeebus out of someone. That's why slowly but surely most of my TL is disappearing, since I'm just getting sick of unreasonable(2-3 games for stupid cheap SHIPPED) offers by people 'just trying to get themselves a deal'.

It's one thing to want a deal, but when you're offering people less than even Gamestop would give without any promos or anything, then that's just redonkulous and I won't even respond to people making such offers anymore.:whistle2:#

But welcome to the forums nonetheless.

The best way to build up rep in my opinion is to buy a few low-priced things that you want or can use. It's not always easy working out a trade, but you can go all kinds of places with cash.

[quote name='Salamando3000']My curiosity's piqued. Mind giving some example trades that fell completely through, along with any special terms, and the number of successful trades of the other party? If you're ready and willing to ship first, then it's got to be something else.[/QUOTE]

I offered to trade Madden 11 on Xbox 360 for NBA 2k11 on PS3, Madden is more expensive still & gets better trade in value as 2k11 dropped to $40 brand new everywhere, so I thought it was a good deal and it was in the wish list for that trader who had 41 trades, figured and I messaged him telling him I would ship first and was going to ship using first class.

[quote name='nCogNeato']I enjoy helping new CAGs get started. My very first trade on CAG was a nightmare, but a string of very helpful CAGs that followed got me back in the game. I like to pay it forward. :cool:

StealOfADeal, feel free to take a look at my list () and let me know if you see anything you want. We'll get you started, and walk you through whatever questions or concerns you have.

I'd also like to know. I'm sure there's an explanation.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much I will look at your list =] and as stated above that was the situation and I tried with a few others who had games in their wish lists that I had and they had games I myself wanted. I just got a PS3 so I'm trying to get my inventory on there built up =]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You say you want to trade, but people are picky. Many of us on here ARE super picky on what kind of condition we want stuff we're trading for on here should be in. Why shouldn't we be? We want stuff that doesn't look like the prior owner pulled it out of a shredder. Is that so wrong?

As for not paying Gamestop prices, it's one thing to want a deal but a whole other thing to lowball the bejeebus out of someone. That's why slowly but surely most of my TL is disappearing, since I'm just getting sick of unreasonable(2-3 games for stupid cheap SHIPPED) offers by people 'just trying to get themselves a deal'.

It's one thing to want a deal, but when you're offering people less than even Gamestop would give without any promos or anything, then that's just redonkulous and I won't even respond to people making such offers anymore.:whistle2:#

But welcome to the forums nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

But I wasn't low balling as I put in the first one it would have been a 1 for 1 Madden for NBA 2k11 and it was the exact game on his wish list as was the NBA for mine, I offered to ship first and was going to use first class. I also tried to trade god of war 3 for the collection (as I got the 3rd as a gift and want to play 1 & 2 first) again with someone who had 10 or so trades. I also offered to trade Blur for Red Dead Redemption which seemed even as well. I compare with the sale & trade in values as best I can. And all of my items are like new unless I state other wise. I marked most of them in my collection.

Those seem like reasonable trades, especially if you offered to ship first. It's possible the other traders may have no longer needed the games, and just forgot to take them off of their wishlist.

Or perhaps they haven't signed into CAG since you offered (if the problem is that they haven't responded?).

Or they may just be jerks. :p

[quote name='nCogNeato']Those seem like reasonable trades, especially if you offered to ship first. It's possible the other traders may have no longer needed the games, and just forgot to take them off of their wishlist.

Or perhaps they haven't signed into CAG since you offered (if the problem is that they haven't responded?).

Or they may just be jerks. :p[/QUOTE]

They declined, a couple said it was because I'm new, but most don't reply once they deny.

[quote name='The Punisher']I'm new too. I been trying to trade, but been getting crazy offers that are not decent. Worst case, I can order from Amazon. The guides I got from recent drop not sure what to do with it. I'm to the point of thinking of just giving away guides so I don't have to deal with the 1 to 1 trading. Not worth the shipping cost.[/QUOTE]

I offered you a CE guide on your want list for two paperbacks. Now, the CE isn't highly sought after... but neither are the paperbacks.

OP - I'll trade with anyone. But the rule is always lower feedback sends first. Just trade with an established person and you should be fine.

My first trade was with an established member. I told him to pay for the shipping and when he got it, to pay me the rest. worked out fine.

[quote name='StealOfADeal']They declined, a couple said it was because I'm new, but most don't reply once they deny.[/QUOTE]

I'm in Norman quite a bit so if you see anything you like on my list (the CML button under my username), shoot me a list of what you've got and we can go from there. We could definitely just do a local swap and get rid of shipping altogether. lol

[quote name='guinaevere']First of all, according to CAG rules, you have to be a registered site member for 30 days before posting in the trading forum. (This is one of the measures we've installed for the safety of our members. It's no guarantee against being swindled, but it's a help. See the trading rules here.)

So where were you trying to trade?[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling this is probably the issue. I've had a few new members (one of them didn't even have any posts yet) contacting me by PM and wanting to buy my stuff. People are going to be justifiably leering of that kind of situation. Your best bet is to wait the thirty days and create a tradelist, people will be more willing to trade with you then.

[quote name='Squall835']I have a feeling this is probably the issue. I've had a few new members (one of them didn't even have any posts yet) contacting me by PM and wanting to buy my stuff. People are going to be justifiably leering of that kind of situation. Your best bet is to wait the thirty days and create a tradelist, people will be more willing to trade with you then.[/QUOTE]
Squall gets a gold star for agreeing with me for being so smart. Remember, even those of us who have been longtime traders/sellers/buyers with 100% feedback don't always wind up coming to a deal in the end, either.

I was working something out with someone I've dealt with before, and we just couldn't agree on terms, so we're both still looking. It happens, doesn't mean either of us are bad people or we dislike each other. It's just part of the process.

I'd be hesitant to trade with a new member that doesn't post much in the forums. Occasionally, I get trade requests from new members with no feedback and zero posts. I usually just ignore them.

Biggest tip I have for new traders, if you are going to make me an offer via pm/or the marketplace, grammar is a big selling point for me. If you can string a sentence together, I'll mostly likely deal with even if you have low feedback.

We were all new here once.

[quote name='kube00']Biggest tip I have for new traders, if you are going to make me an offer via pm/or the marketplace, grammar is a big selling point for me. If you can string a sentence together, I'll mostly likely deal with even if you have low feedback.

We were all new here once.[/QUOTE]
For me it's a matter of whether or not I consider the offer a lowball or not. If someone is a new user and the first deal they wanna make with me has me sending them 2 or more games for half of what they currently cost in a retail store if they were to buy them used there, then chances are I'm just gonna ignore them.;)

[quote name='HydroX']I'm in Norman quite a bit so if you see anything you like on my list (the CML button under my username), shoot me a list of what you've got and we can go from there. We could definitely just do a local swap and get rid of shipping altogether. lol[/QUOTE]

would totally be up for that! But I'm looking to sell or trade most of my XB3 for PS3 :D cuz I just got one, I did notice I have blur, I got a CL thing going to sell/trade I'm honestly selling most of my games cheap/at a reasonable price.

[quote name='StealOfADeal']would totally be up for that! But I'm looking to sell or trade most of my XB3 for PS3 :D cuz I just got one, I did notice I have blur, I got a CL thing going to sell/trade I'm honestly selling most of my games cheap/at a reasonable price.[/QUOTE]

If you can gather up a trade list, shoot me a PM and we can barter away! lol

My only "trade" rep is from one of the guys that was doing the lowball, and I'm thankful they have that set up so I could get it without having to go through a lot of hassle.

[quote name='wune']My only "trade" rep is from one of the guys that was doing the lowball, and I'm thankful they have that set up so I could get it without having to go through a lot of hassle.[/QUOTE]

Lowball events are a great way for new users to earn feedback. Just be sure you follow the Lowball host's rules. Read Read Read.

[quote name='InfinityCartier']Throw in a bj on your first few trades. Incidentally, cml :p[/QUOTE]

He told me he loved me though! :cry:

[quote name='nCogNeato']Lowball events are a great way for new users to earn feedback. Just be sure you follow the Lowball host's rules. Read Read Read.[/QUOTE]

For clarity. ;)

[quote name='StealOfADeal']whats a lowball event? :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Basically a timed auction. People list items starting at a set price or just a $1 and CAGs reply in the thread with their bids. At the end of the time wether it be a matter of days or a week the winning bidders are notified and you pay the price you offered to pay for it. I'm sure I've missed some details since I haven't done a lowball or participated in one but I'm sure another member can fill you in better.

When I started trading on CAG, I purposefully made some trades that heavily favored the other person. For example, I would trade a relatively new game for one that had been out for quite some time. I also hunted for clearance games that other users were looking for... once I found them, I would resell them for the EXACT clearance price that I paid, plus a buck or two for shipping. Once I accumulated approximately 8 feedback, trading became a breeze.

There's several older PS3 games I'm looking for... and if you have any of them, perhaps I could trade you something "newer" for them. PM me a list a what you have/want. I'm always willing to help a new CAG... as long as they're not a complete moron.

Post in the forums as well. I feel safer dealing with people that actually post on the forum instead of just coming in to unload whatever they have. Not saying that those people aren't legit but it gives off a better community feel.

[quote name='Spanky']Post in the forums as well. I feel safer dealing with people that actually post on the forum instead of just coming in to unload whatever they have. Not saying that those people aren't legit but it gives off a better community feel.[/QUOTE]

Thanks spanky!

[quote name='StealOfADeal']Thanks spanky![/QUOTE]

I would say having "steal" in your user name doesn't help things :booty:

[quote name='Vader582']The fact that the word "Steal" is in your user name may not be helping you either. ;) Good luck![/QUOTE]

[quote name='*Deathblade2']I would say having "steal" in your user name doesn't help things :booty:[/QUOTE]

haha, very funny guys haha.

To anyone who will read this: I GOT MY FIRST TRADE!!! It went FLAWLESS, so stoked!!

bread's done
Back