Why are we this way??

Earlier I was reading a local news site about my city, El Monte, where I read an article on the fact that we are going to lose a fire station. When I was done, I decided to look at the comments to see how my fellow citizens felt about the situation. To my my surprise, people were talking trash about the city. Now, I understand that El Monte is not great, however it is no where near as bad as L.A. I've lived there as well.

My question is: Why are we as humans never satisfied with what we have? Ambition? Greed? I can agree that such need may be a catalyst for the improvement of the human species. However, why do we feel the need to then bad mouth and degrade our origins?

Do any of you feel this way about your home town? If so, have you taken the time to think of place that is worse off.

People from Detroit went to Flint, people from Flint went to Saginaw, and now people from Saginaw are coming to Bay City. Which sucks. Our murder rate has gone up significantly in the past 5 years.

[quote name='Badboyoftailoring']Earlier I was reading a local news site about my city, El Monte, where I read an article on the fact that we are going to lose a fire station. When I was done, I decided to look at the comments to see how my fellow citizens felt about the situation. To my my surprise, people were talking trash about the city. Now, I understand that El Monte is not great, however it is no where near as bad as L.A. I've lived there as well.

My question is: Why are we as humans never satisfied with what we have? Ambition? Greed? I can agree that such need may be a catalyst for the improvement of the human species. However, why do we feel the need to then bad mouth and degrade our origins?

Do any of you feel this way about your home town? If so, have you taken the time to think of place that is worse off.[/QUOTE]
My hometown is Biloxi, Mississippi.

It depends, not everyone is the same... but I know what you mean, most crowds prefer to take any concerns into an opportunity to bash something, in this case your neighborhood.

And to answer your first question, greed and all that will never end. It is also in what position you put it, cause while the idea is to be content with what you have, you also have the right to want more, and to go get it (the right way through good deeds) in order to expand your horizons or grow more for that matter.

And well, as for where I live, It's really not a good place to be honest, but the area where I live from this town is really nice, so it could be a lot worse if I were to live in another area...

Because people have no control of their lives. They are not free. They don't understand why they're told they're free but know that they're not. They fill their lives with concern for television, movies, games, and junk. They never see the world, fulfill a dream, or realize their purpose. The things they are told they "need" are really only material binds that imprison them. So when they snap, or freak out at something as silly as that, it's just pent up frustration from not being free.

[quote name='Badboyoftailoring']Earlier I was reading a local news site about my city, El Monte, where I read an article on the fact that we are going to lose a fire station. When I was done, I decided to look at the comments to see how my fellow citizens felt about the situation. To my my surprise, people were talking trash about the city. Now, I understand that El Monte is not great, however it is no where near as bad as L.A. I've lived there as well.

Do any of you feel this way about your home town? If so, have you taken the time to think of place that is worse off.[/QUOTE]

Yep, my hometown sucks. The last time I was back, a 7 year old little girl was shot in a drive-by, plus the Harley Davidson plant was rumored to be shutting down soon. fuck you York PA.

Yeah, Saginaw is the new Flint. Didn't know Bay City was getting so bad. That is just sad. I went there for the Tall Ships festival quite a while back and it was one of the best days I ever had. If Bay City is on the decline, Midland is certainly next.

Saginaw is getting to be the worst city in the entire state as far as I see it. I work with a lot of younger girls that went to Saginaw High (and/or Arthur Hill) and it boggles my mind with the shit they have to deal with. Saginaw High's proms actually had to be moved to the civic center so they could get more security. They put police snipers on the roof of the parking lot across the street and prohibited public gatherings after the prom at all the parks. Just unreal. Security normally reserved for appearances by the President being used for high school kids.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']

Saginaw is getting to be the worst city in the entire state as far as I see it. I work with a lot of younger girls that went to Saginaw High (and/or Arthur Hill) and it boggles my mind with the shit they have to deal with. Saginaw High's proms actually had to be moved to the civic center so they could get more security. They put police snipers on the roof of the parking lot across the street and prohibited public gatherings after the prom at all the parks. Just unreal. Security normally reserved for appearances by the President being used for high school kids.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I had no idea it was getting so bad there. The last time I was there, it was pretty nice. This was about 15 years ago, though.

The only place near me that's nearly as bad is Taylor. I never step foot in Taylor after dark. It's only getting worse, imo. Crime is up all over Downriver, even in Riverview and Wyandotte.

I live in upstate NY and I can say that my town has it's issues, but overall I'm relatively happy here, at least for the time being. Yeah, real estate is almost as expensive as NYC or LA, yes, taxes are high, yes, the streets need repairs (just like most anywhere), and yes we have some crazy fucking redneck hicks, but overall we have a nice little village with a 100-year old 3-screen movie theater and a bunch of decent restaurants and a couple of bars/night spots and even a couple small sandy beaches with a boat launch on the river and most of it is all within walking distance. Granted, you need to get in your car to grocery shop or get to any sort of store other than hardware and new-age but it all balances out.

[quote name='drone8888']Because people have no control of their lives. They are not free. They don't understand why they're told they're free but know that they're not. They fill their lives with concern for television, movies, games, and junk. They never see the world, fulfill a dream, or realize their purpose. The things they are told they "need" are really only material binds that imprison them. So when they snap, or freak out at something as silly as that, it's just pent up frustration from not being free.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Morpheus.

Saginaw, MI is an awful place.

My dad was driving through there last summer, as some punk fucking kids shot out one his windows with a BB gun while he was driving on the interstate.

drone8888 has it right though people are collectively losing it makes you wonder if what we see is really the true nature of humanity. long story short nobody cares about anything but themselves. if people dont have love and pride for themselves why would they have it for the places they live in ? im sure most people here would like to find their own personal mayberry but with how things are going you wont be able to find it on earth for very long.

the vast majority of humanity are becoming sheep. its all like that movie with rowdy roddy piper, great film btw, THem i think its called but it really seems like people are being poked and prodded to becoming more and more like livestock. have you , any of you , had that weird surrealisic moment where you just didnt feel like you were a part of all of this? who are these people who keep calling into amerian idol, who are the people all these shit movies are being watched by and made for? or even worse have you seen a place you grew up in slowly degrade into a ghetto or slum? watched people around you turn from decent caring folks to savages?

its really telling to see what were all becoming by seeing how other countries view us. telling , depresing and downright scary.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Try living in Flint, Michigan. Or as I like to call it: Thunderdome.[/QUOTE]
:puke:

I live in Bay City and work in Midland at Dow Diamond and from what I've seen, Midland is still a very safe city. I hope it stays that way because I would love to move there one day and teach in their school district.

I live in Brooklyn, New York. I see and deal with the most pretentious, big headed, egotistical, jerk offs on the face of the planet. If you aren't trying to be a unique snow flake you are trying not to. Every just comes off as a different level of annoying to me. I don't think I'm any different though so I really am not one to cast judgment...yet I do so daily. I've hit the point in my life where I honestly don't give a shit what people think about me or my actions, I simply do what makes me happy. Its been working quite well. I don't know if New York has done this to me or if this is simply how my personality has evolved. Regardless I think that in life as long as you are able to take care of yourself and be happy without ruining the lives of everyone around you then more power to you.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I'm okay with my city, I'm just pissed at the country.[/QUOTE]

I like your avatar. Common Rider FTW. At least I assume that's one of his incarnations.

My town is pretty nice. It's small, but there's a nice diner, the people are friendly, etc. It is very small, which is somewhat annoying at times, but I mostly like it. I'll be happier once I have a car, and some various health issues I'm going through at the moment are resolved. I used to live overseas, in Australia, so I'm used to a relatively more cosmopolitan atmosphere, but I'm mainly indoors due to being a book, videogame, music, movie, television junkie, so as long as crack addicts aren't breaking in, or I'm assaulted in the streets, its really pretty immaterial to me where I live--outside of you know being safe, and clean. Though I do kind of wish I could move to Hawaii and retire early.

[quote name='manthing']Saginaw, MI is an awful place.

My dad was driving through there last summer, as some punk fucking kids shot out one his windows with a BB gun while he was driving on the interstate.[/QUOTE]

If you were on the interstate, the kid was probably from Ohio. Go Blue!

[quote name='kennistond']I live in Bay City and work in Midland at Dow Diamond and from what I've seen, Midland is still a very safe city. I hope it stays that way because I would love to move there one day and teach in their school district.[/QUOTE]

Everybody is moving to Midland now. The real reason it's a thriving place to live is because they were smart to have industries other than automotive. Dow, primarily. The odd thing is I don't get why Hemlock is stuck in neutral, even after Hemlock Semiconductor expanded. They supply silicon to the entire world but the town is a far cry from Silicon Valley.

[quote name='lokizz'] the vast majority of humanity are becoming sheep. its all like that movie with rowdy roddy piper, great film btw, THem i think its called but it really seems like people are being poked and prodded to becoming more and more like livestock. have you , any of you , had that weird surrealisic moment where you just didnt feel like you were a part of all of this? who are these people who keep calling into amerian idol, who are the people all these shit movies are being watched by and made for? or even worse have you seen a place you grew up in slowly degrade into a ghetto or slum? watched people around you turn from decent caring folks to savages?

its really telling to see what were all becoming by seeing how other countries view us. telling , depresing and downright scary.[/QUOTE]

It's called They Live.

Kenosha used to be really good...hell, Wisconsin used to be great but sadly Illinois jacked up their taxes so much that everyone fled here....only for them vote for people to jack up the taxes and make the state into the second coming of Illinois.

I miss Tommy Thompson as Doyle has done everything in his power to make every job leave the state while we get hosed

bread's done
Back