Why do certain websites exist?

Quackzilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
For example, there is a website called ratemypoo.com, with pictures of poop.

I mean, it's awesome when you are at a freinds house and want to mess with his desktop background, but why do people pay for a server to host thousands of pictures of poop?

I mean, there are billions of websites and I am guessing less than 0.01% of them are actually useful or popular.

Server bandwidth is expensive, so can someone please help me figure out why so many idiots can get it?

But in order to mke money off of ads you need traffic, and to get traffic your site has to be worth the electricity required to view it, right?

[quote name='Quackzilla']But in order to mke money off of ads you need traffic, and to get traffic your site has to be worth the electricity required to view it, right?[/quote]

wow, you really dont get it.

[quote name='Quackzilla']I mean, there are billions of websites and I am guessing less than 0.01% of them are actually useful or popular.

Server bandwidth is expensive, so can someone please help me figure out why so many idiots can get it?[/quote]

If the website isn't popular, then their costs won't be expensive.

[quote name='Quackzilla']But still, what is the point?[/quote]

What's the point of doing anything? What's the point of visitng a message board? Of playing video games? Cause its something to do. Some people see HTML and making websites as a hobby much as we see playing a video game entertainment.

Because the internet allows idiots all over the world to display their stupidity for the world to see. We've given them a voice. It's beautiful, really. ;)

[quote name='Quackzilla']But still, what is the point?[/quote]

You have to realize though that even though you're not interested in something, that doesn't mean others aren't either. I bet there are some people who think a videogame deals website is pointless.

[quote name='Limitbreaker02']http://www.111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111.com/

I'm serious :lol:[/quote]

That was nowhere near what i expected

[quote name='Limitbreaker02']http://www.111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111.com/

:shock: :? :lol:

[quote name='argyle']Because the internet allows idiots all over the world to display their stupidity for the world to see. We've given them a voice. It's beautiful, really. ;)[/quote]

I believe he's got a good reason. My example is www.pepsispice.com

If it is gratifying to tell a single person a joke, would it not be still more gratifying to reach more like minded people? Server space and bandwidth for small scale stuff is quite cheap these days.You can register a domain for five bucks and get a decent amount of space and bits hauled for the same amount.

Anyone who ever spent a few bucks at the novelty store for fake vomit, dog waste, spilled soda, etc. isn't going to be slowed don by spend an hour's wages to reach a wider audience, potentially a huge one if word of mouth plays in its favor.

I recently wanted to have an email address that wouldn't be tied to any conventional ISP's network since I'm likely to change street address several time in the next few years, and I wanted something more distinctive than what a free mail service offered. So I registered my last name as a .com for $10 (it's shared with less than two dozen people on the planet and I'd end up being the admin anyways if any of the others wanted to use it) and got email hosting for $3 a month. I could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere but I like this particular company's service and control setup. I'm getting five addresses plus an admin account and I can add another five for just another buck a month. I could issue email addresses to all who share my surname for under $10 a month and each one of them would have 100 megabyte of inbox space to handle large attachments and high volume.

If you aren't looking to handle a large volume of streaming video or some other intense task, running your own web site or other internet function is really quite cheap.

[quote name='Quackzilla']For example, there is a website called ratemypoo.com, with pictures of poop.

I mean, it's awesome when you are at a freinds house and want to mess with his desktop background, but why do people pay for a server to host thousands of pictures of poop?

I mean, there are billions of websites and I am guessing less than 0.01% of them are actually useful or popular.

Server bandwidth is expensive, so can someone please help me figure out why so many idiots can get it?[/quote]

Multiple choice answers: Pick whichever suits you best.

A. Because you touch yourself at night.
B. Because of people like you
C. Because boredom drives people to extreme acts.
D. Because there is an audience for just about everything.
E. Money.
F. Power.
G. Women.
H. Men.
I. Farm Animals.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Do you think these websites will become rare/valuable?[/quote]

Duh, of course they will because EA is going to buy up the license.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Do you think these websites will become rare/valuable?[/quote]

Yes because only a million were made so if you don't open them for 10 years you will be rich.

[quote name='spoo'][quote name='basketkase543'][quote name='jlarlee']try zombo.com[/quote]

:rofl:[/quote] :imwithst:[/quote]

Aww come on! That was funny! Zombo......Zomboooo....Zoaambooo.

Either that or I'm really really out of it because of finals :D

[quote name='punqsux']why do certin topics exist?[/quote]

Multiple choice answers: Pick whichever suits you best.

A. Because you touch yourself at night.
B. Because of people like you
C. Because boredom drives people to extreme acts.
D. Because there is an audience for just about everything.
E. Money.
F. Power.
G. Women.
H. Men.
I. Farm Animals.

[quote name='basketkase543'][quote name='Quackzilla']But still, what is the point?[/quote]

I bet there are some people who think a videogame deals website is pointless.[/quote]

BLASPHEMY!

[quote name='Quackzilla']For example, there is a website called ratemypoo.com, with pictures of poop.

It's the internet, virutally every topic you can think of is out there. Considering how trival it is to set up a website theres pages among millions of pages of shit no one cares or in there right mind would care about. Amazing isn't it?

... I am now just a little bit stupider for having viewed that website...

I think the reason that some websites exist is because some moron knows too much about the internet and has too much free time on their hands.

[quote name='basketkase543'][quote name='spoo'][quote name='basketkase543'][quote name='jlarlee']try zombo.com[/quote]

:rofl:[/quote] :imwithst:[/quote]

Aww come on! That was funny! Zombo......Zomboooo....Zoaambooo.

Either that or I'm really really out of it because of finals :D[/quote]
zombo.com is funny but I am ashamed I laughed at it.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='greydemise']WHY DO WE EXIST :whistle2:X!!!

btw, LMAO at zombo[/quote]

Do you think we will become rare/valuable?[/quote]

Post your blood type and other transplantation compatibility factors and we'll see if there are any bidders.

Otherwise, no.

It has been said that freedom of the press applies only to those who own a printing press. The wonder of the internet is that now just about anyone can own their own printing press and put their ideas in front of a major portion of the world's population.

Not everything that gets published is worthy of everyone's attention. Some of it is worthy of nobody's attention. Hard drive space on a server is cheap, with gigabytes now having their value measured in nickels and dimes and soon, pennies. So a hell of a lot more garbage is just a URL away but so is a vast array of worthy stuff that might never have reached you in printed form.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Server bandwidth is expensive, so can someone please help me figure out why so many idiots can get it?[/quote]

You're the idiots.

Some people already have their own severs and bandwidth. It doesn't really matter to them if their servers host one high-traffic site or one high-traffic site and two low-traffic ones.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='greydemise']WHY DO WE EXIST :whistle2:X!!!

btw, LMAO at zombo[/quote]

Do you think we will become rare/valuable?[/quote]

Well, I don't know about you :)

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']maybe we don't exist... OH SUCK ON THAT! That's right, stick it down your mouth, and suck it and suck it! [/eddie murphy][/quote]

Cogito ergo sum

next your gonna wonder where you came from, boy do I have an answer for you!

SPOILERS!!!!

The stork (you know. the big bird) brings you from the baby factory, amazing right?

Still confused? This may clear up some confusion:

stork%20w%20baby%2001.jpg

[quote name='help1']next your gonna wonder where you came from, boy do I have an answer for you!

SPOILERS!!!!

The stork (you know. the big bird) brings you from the baby factory, amazing right?

Still confused? This may clear up some confusion:

stork%20w%20baby%2001.jpg
[/quote]

..d...d...daddy :(?? is that u?!?!?!?!

bread's done
Back