Why do I close one eye when looking at my laptop screen....

Poor2More

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
My Girlfriend brought it to my attention when I use my ASUS 15" laptop, that I close one eye completely while the other eye remain fully open. She also said when I use my Alienware Desktop with 24" LED Sony 3D Monitor, that both of my eyes remain completely open. I admit my vision is not very good, I only pass my DMV vision test for my Drivers License because the DMV employee was too worry gossiping with her co-worker, so I just mumbled random letters and numbers (Probably wasent even any numbers up their to tell you the truth, I just did it because I was not able to make out the letters after the first few). I wondered if me closing one eye while using laptop is an indicator of poor vision? Then again, when one of my friend gets a text on his iPhone 4 or basically to use his phone at all, he has to put his finger below his eye and press while moving his finger downwards, almost like prying his eye lids open. He only has to do that when he is not wearing his glasses.

I have Health Insurance, never had it till I hurt my shoulder and saw how abosulutly crazy medical bills are. I had health insurance for the pass 3 years or so, and comes with a free eye exam once a year, and also 10%-50% off glasses depending on optics. I always put off on getting a vision test, because I know I will need glasses.

but the thing that is really holding me back is I heard once you start to wear glasses that your eyes will become dependant on them, and make your vision worst then what it was to begin with, any truth to this?

I sit about 4' from my TV (55" LCD 1080p) when gaming, so I can read the text (especially RPG's) and get really bad headaches after about an hour or two of gaming. Will glasses allow me to sit back 15'-20' and game comfortably without squeenting or headache from eye strain?

Thanks!

You need some sort of vision correction (glasses, contacts, Lasik). I would think being able to see and avoiding headaches would outweigh any fear of your eyes getting progressively worse, which they will anyway. It is kind of scary that you are driving if your vision is as bad as you say.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']You need some sort of vision correction (glasses, contacts, Lasik). I would think being able to see and avoiding headaches would outweigh any fear of your eyes getting progressively worse, which they will anyway. It is kind of scary that you are driving if your vision is as bad as you say.[/QUOTE]

Yea Im thinking of setting up appointment for next day off of work to get my vision checked, I normally have headaches because I squint alot when reading stuff, and friends say I probably get the headaches regularly from eye fatigue.

I admit, my job requires me to drive as I am a HVAC Contractor in between commercial and residential jobs which probably is about 3 hours driving daily and 5 hours actually at the jobs working. Luckily I use a GPS (Its a life saver when driving, its hard enough texting & driving, now I get audible turn directions via GPS, so I can complete my text without having to look up at a map or GPS for my next turn) for travel with turn by turn direction because I have a terrible time reading street/road signs without it being too late.

Yes, your eyes will become dependent on them after a while. I started wearing reading glasses, and notice things are much worse now if I take them off than before I started using them.

Heads-up: Closing one eye can help with reading if you're dyslexic. Helps with eye wobble, or something.

Might wanna check to see if you are. Better to find out now than later.

[quote name='Chase']Heads-up: Closing one eye can help with reading if you're dyslexic. Helps with eye wobble, or something.

Might wanna check to see if you are. Better to find out now than later.[/QUOTE]

dyslexic? I dunno Im an adult now, and never did the one eye thing till recently

[quote name='Chase']Heads-up: Closing one eye can help with reading if you're dyslexic. Helps with eye wobble, or something.

Might wanna check to see if you are. Better to find out now than later.[/QUOTE]

(Found this on a Dyslexic organization website as a possible symptom/test to diagnose Dyslexia in children)

fuck, I just covered my left eye, and read text on screen and everything is very sharp, clear and detailed. I then covered my right eye, and read the same text on screen, and it has a more rigid, slightly out of focus while reading.......................

Damn, is my left eye Dyslexic!?!

I do that sometimes in the dark, I have about a 1 diopter disparity between my right and left eye- I do it more with my phone and tablet. It happens that I am right eye dominant, and even though vision is worse in that eye it's the one I use when I do it.

[quote name='Poor2More'](Found this on a Dyslexic organization website as a possible symptom/test to diagnose Dyslexia in children)

fuck, I just covered my left eye, and read text on screen and everything is very sharp, clear and detailed. I then covered my right eye, and read the same text on screen, and it has a more rigid, slightly out of focus while reading.......................

Damn, is my left eye Dyslexic!?![/QUOTE]

No, just different.

I recent had my eyes checked for the first time in a couple years (insurance gap). Beforehand I'd noticed closing one eye produced much fuzzier vision than the other. Turned out one of my eyes had changed notably more than the other. Made getting used to the new glasses take longer since it was a bigger change than normal.

Also, get the damn glasses. The headaches will stick around a bit while you get used to the sudden clarity. You may also be a little dizzy. Within a week you'll adjust, and you'll love being able to, yknow, SEE.

There's also the slight possibility your eyes could actually improve over time. After 20ish years of glasses, my mom went to the eye doctor and he actually took them away. Said her vision wasn't bad enough to warrant them.

[quote name='Poor2More']My Girlfriend brought it to my attention when I use my ASUS 15" laptop, that I close one eye completely while the other eye remain fully open. She also said when I use my Alienware Desktop with 24" LED Sony 3D Monitor, that both of my eyes remain completely open. I admit my vision is not very good, I only pass my DMV vision test for my Drivers License because the DMV employee was too worry gossiping with her co-worker, so I just mumbled random letters and numbers (Probably wasent even any numbers up their to tell you the truth, I just did it because I was not able to make out the letters after the first few). I wondered if me closing one eye while using laptop is an indicator of poor vision? Then again, when one of my friend gets a text on his iPhone 4 or basically to use his phone at all, he has to put his finger below his eye and press while moving his finger downwards, almost like prying his eye lids open. He only has to do that when he is not wearing his glasses.
![/QUOTE]

Definitely get your eyes checked, and if you are worried about the cost of glasses, check out EyeBuyDirect or Zenni Optical online. I bought two pairs of glasses last year for about $50-60 and they are just as good of quality as the $200+ pair that the opticians will try to sell you. Get the exam, ask the optometrist for a copy of the prescription, take a look at a few frames you like, take some notes on them, and go on your way.

if you do get glasses

GET GLASS LENSES not plastic cause plastic will scratch like hell very easy... i had glass from 97 to 2010 (when they fell and busted) i got plastic in 2010 had to replace them every freaking 18months due to scratching

also if you do have glasses or when you get them try to stay the same lenses... if you move from plastic to glass or the other way around its going to take 2 to 3 weeks to get use to them cause of the way the light goes though them.

im saving up my cash to get back glasses lenses

glass lenses will set you back around 200+ (with frames)
while if you go one of these mall glass places you can get 2 pairs complete for 70 but you get what you pay for (meaning they will not last over 2 years without them falling apart)

[quote name='Poor2More']My Girlfriend brought it to my attention when I use my ASUS 15" laptop, that I close one eye completely while the other eye remain fully open. She also said when I use my Alienware Desktop with 24" LED Sony 3D Monitor, that both of my eyes remain completely open. I admit my vision is not very good, I only pass my DMV vision test for my Drivers License because the DMV employee was too worry gossiping with her co-worker, so I just mumbled random letters and numbers (Probably wasent even any numbers up their to tell you the truth, I just did it because I was not able to make out the letters after the first few). I wondered if me closing one eye while using laptop is an indicator of poor vision? Then again, when one of my friend gets a text on his iPhone 4 or basically to use his phone at all, he has to put his finger below his eye and press while moving his finger downwards, almost like prying his eye lids open. He only has to do that when he is not wearing his glasses.[/quote]

Sounds like you have one eye that's got astigmatism or myopia (or both) and you're closing it so that you look only through your dominant eye.

My parents told me that when I was a toddler, I had trouble seeing. Got tested and the ophthalmologist said my right eye was "weaker" than my left and so I was only using my left to see. Wore glasses until Junior High. Never had to wear glasses since then.

I was born with "monovision." Runs in my family. Back then, it was like, "oh that's weird," but now old people are actually paying for the surgery to make their eyes have monovision so that they never have to use glasses. It's called Monovision LASIK. I guess I'm covered for when I get old lol.

[quote name='Poor2More']but the thing that is really holding me back is I heard once you start to wear glasses that your eyes will become dependant on them, and make your vision worst then what it was to begin with, any truth to this?[/quote]

It probably differs per individual and depends on what's wrong with your eye. Astigmatism, detaching retina, whatever. Some eye problems improve over time; others will only get worse. Early detection will be in your favor no matter what so I'd schedule that appointment soon if I were you.

[quote name='Poor2More']
I sit about 4' from my TV (55" LCD 1080p) when gaming, so I can read the text (especially RPG's) and get really bad headaches after about an hour or two of gaming. Will glasses allow me to sit back 15'-20' and game comfortably without squeenting or headache from eye strain?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I'm not in the field of vision correction, but like the others, I'd heavily lean towards yes.

[quote name='slidecage']if you do get glasses

GET GLASS LENSES not plastic cause plastic will scratch like hell very easy... i had glass from 97 to 2010 (when they fell and busted) i got plastic in 2010 had to replace them every freaking 18months due to scratching

[/QUOTE]

Was that from the infamous sidewalk fall?

bread's done
Back