Why do people shave the lettering off their cars?

PhrostByte

CAG Newbie
I never understood this. I mean, I can understand if the condition were that you have a shitty car or something.. but today I was driving and I saw a WRX pull up just like mine. As I usually do in the situation, I looked over to acknowledge the driver. He honked the horn and nodded his head.. understood... then, to my dismay I see that he shaved the Subaru lettering off his car.

If the guy is proud to have a nice car, why is he trying to conceal the identity?

[quote name='docvinh']I think it's a cleaner look without the lettering, I'm assuming that's why people do it.[/quote]

Maybe it's just my obsessive personality, but I can't help looking at it and perceiving that something is "not quite right". I'm about to post pics of both for comparison... if I can find them.

OK, I found a pic online of a debadged WRX that kind of looks like mine:

WRX%20Grass7.JPG

Now here's the back of my car:

wrxforcagtw9.jpg

So which do you guys like more?

I like the badges in most cases. I have a Mazda 3 now and I quite like their badge. Had a Subaru before and liked it as well.

Most cars just look odd without them.

Depends on the car.
Some look better de-badged.

For that one, I'd remove WRX, but leave Subaru.
It just doesn't have the sexy curves needed to go nude.

I think everything looks better without a brand on it. You'd get used to it if you did it, but it probably wouldn't look as odd if you replace it with some other graphic or something.

I prefer the lettering on there as well, although there do seem to be a lot of WRX owners debadging their cars. Is that the dealer badge on yours? I would definitely recommend removing that.

[quote name='btw1217']I prefer the lettering on there as well, although there do seem to be a lot of WRX owners debadging their cars. Is that the dealer badge on yours? I would definitely recommend removing that.[/quote]

Dealer badge? Where? I don't think I have one.. I actually bought my car from the original owner.

That badge/sticker on the trunk lid, very center. Couldn't tell if it was a huge dealer badge or something you put on there. If that's something you put on there, then that's different.

[quote name='btw1217']That badge/sticker on the trunk lid, very center. Couldn't tell if it was a huge dealer badge or something you put on there. If that's something you put on there, then that's different.[/quote]

Yeah, I put that there. It's a Ukrainian flag. That's where I'm from... actually I'm from the USSR but I would feel weird putting a USSR flag on my Subaru. Plus, the colors wouldn't match, that's one of the reasons I decided to put that there.

I also have a non-standard license plate. In Maryland we have 3 different plate styles. The standard is just black on white. Then there are 2 that cost $20 upfront and an additional $5 every year. One is the one that I have, I got it cuz the colors matched. The money is donated to a Chesapeake Bay restoration fund. There's also a red one where they donate the money to some kind of kids program.

every individual car is different, debadging can make one car look clean and another look generic. i think it has a lot to do with other mods to the exterior. i've seen STi's that have just the red STi badge and i think that looks great

and what's that decal or whatever on your trunk? edit: nm

[quote name='chasemurata']I assume it's similar to why people shave themselves: a cleaner look.[/quote]Or more aerodynamic.:cool:

I agree on both counts:

The Make Badge can stay
The Dealer Badge can die in a fire, along with the son of a bitch that though it was a good idea.

~HotShotX

debadging gives any car a more simple 'clean' look to it without the noise of all that comerical crap distracting away from the car's curves. thats how a tuner thinks.
It can also help make your car a 'sleeper', meaning if someone pulls up to you to thinking you have a regular slow base model impreza but you end up leaving them in the dust because its really a debaged sti then its kinda funny.
Its fine to leave the badges on if you like PhrostByte, but don't add more stickers to your wrx.

[quote name='HotShotX']I agree on both counts:

The Make Badge can stay
The Dealer Badge can die in a fire, along with the son of a bitch that though it was a good idea.

~HotShotX[/quote]

While it's ugly as fuck, it's free advertising. It is a good idea.

debadged rears are nice. its clean and guys who know anything about cars, already know what car u got by looking at it. helps that stealth/sleeper/clean look imo.

I think nearly every car looks better without the model badge(s), but usually look best with the make badge intact.

e.g.

de_badge_001.jpg

[quote name='PhrostByte']OK, I found a pic online of a debadged WRX that kind of looks like mine:

WRX%20Grass7.JPG

Now here's the back of my car:

wrxforcagtw9.jpg

So which do you guys like more?[/quote]

The debadged look is a lot cleaner and less cluttered. At least take off that sticker on your WRX because it looks stupid.

I have a silver WRX sport wagon I debadged. I left the WRX. I thought the SUBARU looked a little cheap... Just my opinion though. It was actually pretty easy to do with a hairdryer, fishing line, and Goo Gone.

[quote name='Danil ACE']The debadged look is a lot cleaner and less cluttered. At least take off that sticker on your WRX because it looks stupid.[/quote]

OH YEAH WELL YOU LOOK STUPID!!! :lol:

Kidding. But nah man... the sticker is there cuz I gotta rep my block, yafeelme? I debated putting the sticker on for a while. In the end I decided that since the colors pretty much match, it won't do much harm.

Now that I think about it.. maybe I should have put it on either the left or right side of the bumper? If I remove it now though, I'd probably ruin it though and would need to replace it... Thoughts anyone?

[quote name='tehweezner']debadging can make one car look clean and another look generic.[/quote]

if debadging makes a car look generic, then it was generic looking before you removed the badges

On some cars it just looks more refined. I've often thought of doing it with my Del Sol to further mystify people who don't know what in the hell type of car it is.

I've been thinking about removing the model badges from my car for a little while. It gives it a cleaner and more customized look. I put together a quick comparison via Photoshop.

With badges:

Without badges:

Granted, in my case I have a chrome license plate frame with my car's model to begin with, but at first glance most people would likely overlook it. Plus I could replace the frame with something else later if I want to.

I'm assuming in some cases that people want to purposely confuse people of the exact model. For example, the new Lancer GTS looks very similar to the Lancer Evolution. While no one would confuse a base Lancer with an EVO, the GTS looks very similar minus the hood vents. So, I think some people to do it because they think their car will look like that car's cooler, older brother. I don't know if this is the case with the WRX versus the STI, but it's possible.

My car (on the other hand) is the top of the line model with all the toys and extra power. I actually like my badges and I have no intention of removing them.

[quote name='R1V3R5']I'm assuming in some cases that people want to purposely confuse people of the exact model. For example, the new Lancer GTS looks very similar to the Lancer Evolution. While no one would confuse a base Lancer with an EVO, the GTS looks very similar minus the hood vents. So, I think some people to do it because they think their car will look like that car's cooler, older brother. I don't know if this is the case with the WRX versus the STI, but it's possible.

My car (on the other hand) is the top of the line model with all the toys and extra power. I actually like my badges and I have no intention of removing them.[/quote]

Some people do stealth Rexes as removing the badging could make it look more like a standard Impreza. The hood scoop is a bit of a giveaway. The hideous wing on the older STI and gold rims kept it.... "unique".

Removing the lettering is purely aesthetic. It lends itself to a cleaner overall visual appearance. It's a minimalist thing. I'm sure an industrial designer could write you a thesis paper on it if you asked them, haha.

[quote name='docvinh']I think it's a cleaner look without the lettering, I'm assuming that's why people do it.[/quote]

Thats exactly why they do it, case closed.

In the case of the WRX, possibly someone doesn't want folks to know he doesn't have the STI so he debadged it completely? I say leave the Make badge, take off the model and dealer if you're into that sort of thing.

today i found out my roommate is a moron. he came back from summer vacation with a 2004 WRX, and he de-lettered it today.....sad sad day, its like finding out your best friend is a asshole, but WORSE.

It can't be worst than a dude driving a Toyota Camry and having a beemer badge on it...can it?

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm surprised at how many cags are also car guys. debadging is the first thing i do when i bring a new car home. a heat gun, fishing line and some goo gone go a long way

[quote name='AshesofWake']today i found out my roommate is a moron. he came back from summer vacation with a 2004 WRX, and he de-lettered it today.....sad sad day, its like finding out your best friend is a asshole, but WORSE.[/quote]

Many of us would disagree with you. Let him do what he wants with his car. I personally can't stand the tacky chrome plastic shit ANYWHERE on my car. Chrome is the tackiest shit under the sun.

[quote name='dafoomie']What annoys me more are when dealers put their own lettering on the back of the car.[/quote]

Yeah, I hate that. When I bought my last car, the dealer "decal" wasn't paint or vinyl lettering, it was a plastic emblem stickie-taped on. As soon as I bought it, paid for it, and walked out to the car with the sales guy, I went to the back of the car and pulled off the "Beaman Toyota" badge and handed it to the sales guy. Heh, I'm sure he didn't care but I hate the dealer stuff on the car.

[quote name='Koggit']I think nearly every car looks better without the model badge(s), but usually look best with the make badge intact.

e.g.

de_badge_001.jpg
[/quote]

See, in this case it looks nice because you are leaving the main symbol on, and its nice and symmetrical. In the previous debadged blue car, that silver key slot makes it look weird.

The last car I bought I sent back because I specifically told the dealer not to put his badge on the back and he did it anyway. I think he thought I'd just be like oh well and drive off. Instead, I told him he had 10 minutes to remove it without a trace or I was not buying anything.

[quote name='javeryh']The last car I bought I sent back because I specifically told the dealer not to put his badge on the back and he did it anyway. I think he thought I'd just be like oh well and drive off. Instead, I told him he had 10 minutes to remove it without a trace or I was not buying anything.[/quote]

Did he make it on time?

[quote name='help1']Did he make it on time?[/quote]

It took him less than a minute. I guess the thing just pops off.

bread's done
Back