Why do so many people lack basic job interview skills?

62t

CAGiversary!
Feedback
76 (100%)
I am on the interview panel for my job and I am shock at how bad some of those interviews went. Here are things not to do:

1. Please don't wear jeans to an interview, and at least put a little effort on your clothing.
2. If you are trying to hide something make sure your lies are consistence.
3. If you want to use someone as a reference make sure the company exist, and let the person know you are planning to use them as a reference.
4. When answering questions please give answers that are more than one sentence. "I worked at ____" is not a good enough answer.
5. Please don't take a full minute to think about every question before answering.
6. If you are sending in a resume by email, send it as an attachment otherwise it will be impossible to read.
7. Don't bother to apply if you don't fit the minimum requirement.
8. Please follow direction on the job description. If we ask you to email your resume, don't drop it off at the office.
9. If you are currently not working try to think of something to fill in the gap
10. Please read the job description before showing up for the interview!!! Look on the company website, or ask someone. Have at least an idea of what you are going to do.
11. If you are going to copy and paste a cover letter, make sure you got the company name and position right.

Those are all actual things I seen people do for the last month. Many of those people have college degree and/or years of experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='62t']I am on the interview panel for my job and I am shock at how bad some of those interview went. Here are things not to do.

1. Please don't wear Jeans to an interview, and at least put a little effort on your clothing.
3. If you want to use someone as a reference make sure the company exist, and let the person know you are planning to use them as a reference.
4. When answering questions please give answers that are more than one sentence. "I worked at ____" is not a good enough answer.
5. Please don't take a full minute to think about every question before answering.
6. If you are sending in a resume by email, do it as an attachment otherwise it will be impossible to read.
8. Please follow direction on the job description. If we ask you to email your resume, don't drop it off at the office.
9. If you are currently not working try to think of something to fill in the gap
10. Please read the job description before showing up for the interview!!! Look on the company website, or ask someone. Have at least an idea of what you are going to do.
11. If you are going to copy and paste a cover letter, make sure you got the company name and position right.

Those are all actual things I seen people do for the last month. Many of those people have college degree and/or years of experiences.[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain. I had to interview some potential QA testers this past June, and some candidates where atrocious. Some where just hilarious, i thought i was being trolled.

You keep posting and I won't be able to stop this guy.

Grammar-Nazi-2.jpg

[quote name='62t']
1. Please don't wear Jeans to an interview, and at least put a little effort on your clothing.[/QUOTE]

personally I would think it would have to do with the type of job you're being interviewed for.

[quote name='62t']
4. When answering questions please give answers that are more than one sentence. "I worked at ____" is not a good enough answer.[/QUOTE]

Could be the questions you're asking. If you ask a question that can be answered in 1 word you shouldnt expect a novel from the answer.

[quote name='62t']
5. Please don't take a full minute to think about every question before answering.[/QUOTE]

If you're doing behavorial interviewing you should expect people to think about their answers and encourage them to do so... if you're not doing behaviorial interviewing then refer to #4.

[quote name='62t']
9. If you are currently not working try to think of something to fill in the gap.[/QUOTE]

In todays economy you're going to hold someone not having a job against them... nice.

[quote name='62t']
Those are all actual things I seen people do for the last month. Many of those people have college degree and/or years of experiences.[/QUOTE]

A lot of people don't have a lot of experience going to job interviews.

I gave them your phone number. So now, when the phone rings, you have to answer "Vandelay Industries".

[quote name='62t']I am on the interview panel for my job and I am shock at how bad some of those interviews went. Here are things not to do:

1. Please don't wear jeans to an interview, and at least put a little effort on your clothing.
6. If you are sending in a resume by email, send it as an attachment otherwise it will be impossible to read.

You know I can side with you on some of the points and disagree with others. I think I've made every single one of those mistakes on there. But I've learned from all of them and am a better interviewee because of it. If everyone was a perfect interview candidate wouldn't that make your job harder?

Lol, OP I just had a discussion with my boss and other colleague this afternoon about this. I listed an opening at our website and in two days I received 138 applicants. I went through 56 resumes today and only found three worth calling. This one was my favorite:
Me: Now, on your resume you stated that it is your dream to work at (insert gov partner agency here)...
Guy: yeah...I wanna work there.
Me: Now, that's a completely different field than what you've submitted your resume for...
Guy: Yeah, basically I just want a job to put money on my pocket and to pay for gas and shot, you know what I mean? Oh shit! I said shit! I'm sorry! Aw, damn I said it again...I'm sorry I'm like really nervous right now...
Me: :lol: while pressing mute. Yeah, I hear you. So, why do you want to work at (gov partner)?
Guy: oh, cause a family member who works for them told me that they're good and...stuff. Ha, I caught myself that time.
Me: uh, good at what?
Guy: at what they do
Me: which is?
Guy: planes and stuff.
Me: okay, well thanks for your time.
Guy: so do I got the job or no?
Me: I'm still interviewing but thanks again for your time.

:lol:

I actually just had an interview today. I made your number 9 mistake but I'm surprised at how receptive interviewers have been of video game modding as a primary way to spend time while unemployed.

I disagree with #7 and minimum requirements - especially "time of service" requirements. Kudos to some companies who will actually look at someone who only 2-3 years experience when the say "5 minimum". To be fair, you don't want entry level people in positions but I know a lot of people who have only done a job for 1-2 years who are far more competent than people doing the job for 10.

No one tells me what to do.

And why are you critiquing the shit out of applicants wearing blue jeans, when you're utilizing poopy grammar from your interview panel throne of unwarranted self-importance?

i dont see why states dont start cracking down on these BS interview companies that say

WE HAVE 100 JOBS Come in today and get hired today.

o by the way we charge 199.99

people who are really hurting for a job will fall for this scam.... my mothers friends daughter did and

They give them a printed out piece of crap paper about how to find jobs on the internet or just copy and pasted the ads out of the newspaper .

Yet the state allows the company to keep running the same ad in the paper for the last 2 years

[quote name='Malik112099']How are all these assholes landing interviews?! I can barely get an interview as it is these days.[/QUOTE]Seriously no that I read this I am even more fucking pissed. Do you know how many Subways, McDonald's, and Safeways I have been to? A shit load. I go in there with dress shirt, pants, and tie just to hand in the fucking application. Do you know how many calls I have gotten for an interview? Or wait, how many times I have gone in to ask and they let me schedule one?

ZERO.

And then I read this blog saying how interviewees are not even putting effort into their clothing at an interview, hiding stuff, and getting in without minimum requirements. How in the shit are companies picking people to be interviewed. I go in to the stores and politely show that I am professional and interested in working there. I was so excited to see that Subways in my area had jobs. And yet they are probably setting up appointments with these fucking retards for reasons I do not know.

Good day

But, hey! This is America. After all, what do you suppose the interviews for off-shore customer service sweat houses are like? And for a fraction of the pay... I'm sure they're more desire-able than the gambit of interviewees you processed. What qualifications do you hold to be on the interview panel? Additionally, what was your first substantial interview like? Just asking.

[quote name='minos1067']@ jousley
That was hillarious 'SHOT'! I had totally forgotten about that scene until your post.[/QUOTE]

My pleasure, friend :)

[quote name='Afflicted']

In todays economy you're going to hold someone not having a job against them... nice.

A lot of people don't have a lot of experience going to job interviews.[/QUOTE]

Yea that's bullshit... so your company lays you off because they overspent or can't afford you anymore ...so it's your fault ...i see :roll:...

if a company looked at that as a negative, then they can go fuck themselves.

I also agree on the lack of experience job interviewing. How much experience job interviewing can a person have who's been working for a company for years? You don't think or practice when your working because you don't worry about it at the time. It's only when you get laid off is when your f'ed.

[quote name='62t']I am on the interview panel for my job and I am shock at how bad some of those interviews went. Here are things not to do:

I HATE interview panels. It's more of an interrogation than an interview. If it's all guys and you (assuming your female), then that low cut dress and short skirt is going to land you the job.

I've been up against interview panels before... It's a big waste of time for everyone. It should be only you, the hiring manager person and the department head....not the HR person, DH, Department head's lacky and the office slut.

Sometimes you follow the rules to the letter, yet you get no chance because the job was "promised" to someone else in the first place even before they post it because "its the law" to post it...um what law?
And because it's already promised (you know, it's who you fuck, not what you know or done that counts) to them, they don't have to do shit to prepare.

Heck there are people who I personally know who got the jobs that I was applying for. Do they have any experience that would qualify them for the position? NOPE..yet they got it anyways.

I've heard some horror stories, mostly about the lack of professionalism from recent college grads. I was floored when I heard that many people were sending text messages on their phones during interviews, showing up with ridiculous piercings and not bothering to take showers or dress anywhere near appropriately.

And as far as the post above, most jobs are given to people that someone higher on the ladder knows, thats just how it works and it always has. You have to get out there and network.

[quote name='Malik112099']How are all these assholes landing interviews?! I can barely get an interview as it is these days.[/QUOTE]
No kidding, I don't even get an automated response anymore. Hell I can't even get an interview for a decently paying internship, let alone a full time job interview. I know how to dress and act for interviews too, but that does me no good unless I can actually get one.

[quote name='Malik112099']How are all these assholes landing interviews?! I can barely get an interview as it is these days.[/QUOTE]

Yea really right? :roll:

It's like you apply for the job, follow the instructions to the letter...hear NOTHING for weeks then get a response saying "Thank you for your intrest, but a better qualifying person was selected for the job..good luck in your search.." wait a minute..you never interviewed me so how can you tell someone was better? They had sex with you and I didn't? I need to write that one day in my response and see what they say lol.

oh this is from an email from a guy who offered me a job to work with video department as an assistant..which I thought was a neat opportunity to learn the ropes. Everything was fine and he said he was going to assign me to someone in a few days, then he drops this bomb on me.
"
Hello ITDEFX,

Thanks again for your time visiting my studio and doing a job interview.

Although I appreciate your works and portfolio you presented during the interview, I do not have an appropriate position for you at this time.

Certainly, you will be considered for a position if you can bring me more of your industry standard work experience and relevant portfolio in near future.

Thanks and good luck."

Now that's what I hate...when people like this Pussy out of a job offer... I responded by telling him to go fuck himself! :D Months later he went out of business! \\:D/

[quote name='Clak']No kidding, I don't even get an automated response anymore. Hell I can't even get an interview for a decently paying internship, let alone a full time job interview. I know how to dress and act for interviews too, but that does me no good unless I can actually get one.[/QUOTE]

My advice would be to update your resume. It really depends on what type of jobs you're looking for but I would suggest maybe looking at some good 'behavioral resume' guides. Who knows how many hundreds of people are applying for the same jobs nowadays.... your resume has to stand out and a lot of bigger companies are going with behavioral interviewing nowadays.

G'luck.

actually the article posted by ITDEFX looked like a good starter for behavioral interviews... I can honestly say the first few you do are horrid but with practice you can get pretty good with them.

[quote name='Afflicted']My advice would be to update your resume. It really depends on what type of jobs you're looking for but I would suggest maybe looking at some good 'behavioral resume' guides. Who knows how many hundreds of people are applying for the same jobs nowadays.... your resume has to stand out and a lot of bigger companies are going with behavioral interviewing nowadays.

G'luck.

actually the article posted by ITDEFX looked like a good starter for behavioral interviews... I can honestly say the first few you do are horrid but with practice you can get pretty good with them.[/QUOTE]

THANKS! :)

Actually I have revised my resume into those damn bullets :bomb:. Now a job wants me to give a more "detail" resume...ummm hello that's going to put it over 3 pages :bomb:

[quote name='ITDEFX']THANKS! :)

Actually I have revised my resume into those damn bullets :bomb:. Now a job wants me to give a more "detail" resume...ummm hello that's going to put it over 3 pages :bomb:[/QUOTE]

But the great thing about that is your first one got their attention enough to ask for more information. I'll bet there were a lot of 'em that went straight into file 13.

[quote name='Afflicted']But the great thing about that is your first one got their attention enough to ask for more information. I'll bet there were a lot of 'em that went straight into file 13.[/QUOTE]

I hope so because I feel like they are fucking with me...if I got their attention, why not bring me in for an interview and I will answer all your questions.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I hope so because I feel like they are fucking with me...if I got their attention, why not bring me in for an interview and I will answer all your questions.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm not going to say that you won't run into egotistical assholes who think they're way more important than they really are doing interviews. They tend to try to see how far they can make people jump or grovel for a job. There's a few experiences I've had with companies that I would never put myself through again. Unfortunately it's just part of it.

The important thing is to try to stay positive till they tell you no.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']If the person interviewing me can't spell "consistent," I'd be afraid of what the morons I'd be working with everyday would be like.[/QUOTE]

lol. You'd be surprise how smarter you are then them.

Don't you hate it when you have a unique skill and they want you to teach them that skill? For example a few years back one person wanted me during an interview to teach them how to do computer animation... this was for a tech support position. I said "Sure"..but in actually I ment, well then you go to school for 3 years and learn this shit or go fuck yourself because your not paying me to teach you that. I really hate it when jobs like this ask you to do that. This is where I can say, "it's not part of the job description"

1. It could be worse, they could show up wearing nothing but a smile or a trenchcoat.;)
2. So you mean when the interviewer asks me the same question 5 different ways I can't come up with 5 different answers?:cry:
3. You mean I can't put down my uncle Herman who lives at 1313 Mockingbird Lane and expect you not to check?
4. I prefer to give one word answers like Yep and two word answers like Uh-Huh.:)
5. Maybe I'm not thinking for a full minute, maybe I'm staring at the zit on your forehead and thinking how nasty it is.:puke:
6. How bout I send it in ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics and send a copy of the Rosetta Stone to decipher it?
7. You mean my 10 years as a drug dealer don't count as experience towards a salesman job?:lol:
8. But I like the personal approach.
9. I don't suppose you'd accept the excuse of why I wasn't working was that I was a crack whore turning tricks for the money for my next rock, would you?
10. You mean I can't get paid to be an arrogant douchebag whose only job is to critique people's appearance and ask the same questions 20 times? Oh wait, that's your job....and you do it SO well.:booty:
11. You mean this isn't Microsoft? Ah fuck, I'm outta here.

As somebody with a job for the last 4 years and 11 months and who only uses job boards to post for positions outside of my employer, I'm curious why a resume would need to be an attachment. Is the wheel button on the mouse disabled? Is it guaranteed the word processor programs between the applicant's and the recruiter's computers are completely compatible? Is the recruiter incapable of pressing Ctrl + A, Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V in that sequence?

I have bad luck with job interviews. My worst interview was with a man with the last name of Seaman while I was congested. After I stated the interviewer's name in the plural form, he let me know he hated my current employer.

The last job interview I was on(Best Buy about 4-5 months ago), I was soooooo tempted to answer the question "why do you want to work here" with "so I can have first crack at your pennied guides and clearance items" and then smirk.

Since the interviews though I have been in for the numerous coupon errors and I grabbed about 4-6 guides from the last drop. During those visits I saw not one, not two but all THREE managers that I interviewed with while making my guide/game runs.:whistle2:#:lol:

Yeah. Suffice to say that even if I re-applied and answered every question correctly during each interview I think my chances of being hired AT ALL went from slim to nil after they saw me lugging those items up to the register.:lol:

Meh. I was shocked I even got past one interview, but they got me on a question about if I were a manager and had to take action on an employee who was stealing from the company.

At first I said they'd be fired straight away, then I backpedaled and said if they paid restitution they could be kept on but on probation and then I think I went back to the straight up firing option.

I borked the final interview before a possible job offer right there, so the way I looked at it I doubt they would've called me for a job offer at that point so I said fuck it and went for the deals.

As for eating where one shits, there's people into that ya know.:puke:

I have trouble thinking of examples for questions like, "What was a time where you felt you had to take responsibility for another person's actions?"

Do people make up answers to those before going in? Because there's no way I can just dig through my life's memories and find a good story to tell someone in a matter of seconds.

I remember doing a lot of Ummmmm and uhhhhh during the interviews too when trying to dig up something that really happened to me to give an example.

But after a while I just lied my ass off.:rofl:

[quote name='Afflicted']My advice would be to update your resume. It really depends on what type of jobs you're looking for but I would suggest maybe looking at some good 'behavioral resume' guides. Who knows how many hundreds of people are applying for the same jobs nowadays.... your resume has to stand out and a lot of bigger companies are going with behavioral interviewing nowadays.

G'luck.

actually the article posted by ITDEFX looked like a good starter for behavioral interviews... I can honestly say the first few you do are horrid but with practice you can get pretty good with them.[/QUOTE]
I got the director of the career placement center at my school to help me write my resume, I just don't have a lot to fill one out at the moment. Last thing I applied for was some ad on craigslist for a $9 an hour internship, still haven't gotten any response and it was back in July.

I finished an AAS degree last spring and am working to finish my bachelors, having that hasn't helped one bit.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I remember doing a lot of Ummmmm and uhhhhh during the interviews too when trying to dig up something that really happened to me to give an example.

But after a while I just lied my ass off.:rofl:[/QUOTE]

Learn to eliminate uhh and umm from your vocabulary, esp during interviews. If you need a couple of seconds to think, you can always respond with "That's a good question," which is good filler to give you a couple of seconds to come up with the appropriate story. You can't use it after every question though, obviously.

[quote name='BigPopov']Learn to eliminate uhh and umm from your vocabulary, esp during interviews. If you need a couple of seconds to think, you can always respond with "That's a good question," which is good filler to give you a couple of seconds to come up with the appropriate story. You can't use it after every question though, obviously.[/QUOTE]
You mean I can't just switch it around like Yoda?:cry:

[quote name='panzerfaust']I have trouble thinking of examples for questions like, "What was a time where you felt you had to take responsibility for another person's actions?"

Do people make up answers to those before going in? Because there's no way I can just dig through my life's memories and find a good story to tell someone in a matter of seconds.[/QUOTE]

if you're doing a behavioral interview... ie: asked about an example of a specific time you did x or something of that nature... the person doing the interview should find it completely acceptable for you to tell them you need a minute or so to think about your answer.

Obviously tho if you're not doing a behavioral interview, when they ask you where you worked last.... it's not really acceptable to ask for a minute os so to think about your answer. :lol:

bread's done
Back