Why do you need a lot of memory for a Memory stick?

ssssss

CAGiversary!
Why do you need a lot of gigs for a Memory Stick Duo? I have an iPod, and don't really want to shell out $30+ for a Memory Stick when I can't even listen to music while playing games (if I could, I would be much more considerate) to make the PSP my primary device. Game saves take up ~320kb (at least Patapon does), not worth it to spend over 1gb in my opinion. Convince me otherwise.

Do any of you CAGs use the PSP for a primary mp3 player? Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me.

I think the bigger sticks in the PSP are for games downloaded via PSN, game add ons like the tracks and vehicles in Wipeout, demos, trailers, etc. I have a 4 gig and like knowing the space is there if i should ever need it.

[quote name='Malik112099']I think the bigger sticks in the PSP are for games downloaded via PSN, game add ons like the tracks and vehicles in Wipeout, demos, trailers, etc. I have a 4 gig and like knowing the space is there if i should ever need it.[/quote]
That makes sense. I don't own a PS3, but are you still able to download games like Pixeljunk Monsters off the PSN store on the PSP?
Also, do you the file size for those games on the PSP, and if you can re download them if you choose to temporarily delete them?

[quote name='ssssss']That makes sense. I don't own a PS3, but are you still able to download games like Pixeljunk Monsters off the PSN store on the PSP?
Also, do you the file size for those games on the PSP, and if you can re download them if you choose to temporarily delete them?[/QUOTE]

If you are interested in deleting and re-downloading content, you need a Wii. Otherwise get a Stick, for cryin' out loud!

[quote name='ssssss']That makes sense. I don't own a PS3, but are you still able to download games like Pixeljunk Monsters off the PSN store on the PSP?
Also, do you the file size for those games on the PSP, and if you can re download them if you choose to temporarily delete them?[/quote]

you can now download stuff off of the PSN Store directly onto your PSP...no PS3 (or PC) needed....the PSN Store is now integrated into the PSP XMB like on the PS3

[quote name='Malik112099']you can now download stuff off of the PSN Store directly onto your PSP...no PS3 (or PC) needed....the PSN Store is now integrated into the PSP XMB like on the PS3[/quote]
Sweet! Do you know the file size of most of the games? I don't want to download a 300 mb game and have it take everything up :( (if that is relevant to the general file size)
[quote name='MorPhiend']If you are interested in deleting and re-downloading content, you need a Wii. Otherwise get a Stick, for cryin' out loud![/quote]
I'm going to buy a stick, I have to if I want to save games. I'm wondering which size stick to buy, but as they say, it's not the size of the stick, it's the motion of the ocean.

Does anyone know if Memory sticks are region free? Asking cause I'm looking to buy one on eBay cheap from Hong Kong.. the seller has good feedback on these sticks so I'm thinking they're reliable..

[quote name='ssssss']Does anyone know if Memory sticks are region free? Asking cause I'm looking to buy one on eBay cheap from Hong Kong.. the seller has good feedback on these sticks so I'm thinking they're reliable..[/QUOTE]

If you're looking to buy genuine cards, don't buy them from eBay. Any memory stick being sold on eBay is 99.9999999% a fake. Now, fake cards work, although they can A: write slower, and B: Stop working easier. It's not really worth the risk.

[quote name='anch']buy a microsd and use the MS duo converting stick[/quote]
I agree. PhotoFast CR-5400 + 2 4GB MicroSDHC cards and you have 8GB for about $35-40. And you get SDHC which is faster as well.

Well for what it's worth I've had a PSP2000 since it came out and I've never needed anything more than the 1GB memory stick it came with. I've put a few demos on it but I usually delete them when I'm done trying them out. I have a few pics and songs on mine too but no videos. But yeah for just game saves you really don't need anything bigger than 1GB.

I have an 8GB stick which is currently holding a couple CDs worth of MP3's, a couple of movies (about 450MB each), a couple demos (avg. is about 250MB), and then save games, some wallpapers, and i still have about 2GB left.

[/quote]

Does PixelJunk Monsters work on the PSP? I thought it was PS3 only, with a separate PSP offering coming soon.

[quote name='anch']buy a microsd and use the MS duo converting stick[/QUOTE]

you wont be able to use magic gate however

[quote name='surak']Does PixelJunk Monsters work on the PSP? I thought it was PS3 only, with a separate PSP offering coming soon.[/quote]
That is probably true, I am pretty uninformed when it comes to Sony. Thanks for clearing that up.

And why do I need MagicGate?

Sandisk is a good brand for memory, my Fiance bought me an 8gb stick for my birthday.

As for why I need that much, PSN games comes second on the list, and Video playback comes a solid first. I travel a lot, and most times I find myself watching stuff from revision3 more so than playing games. Just a personal thing though.

[quote name='ssssss']That is probably true, I am pretty uninformed when it comes to Sony. Thanks for clearing that up.

And why do I need MagicGate?[/quote]

I believe MagicGate is needed to be able to legitimately play downloaded PSN games, because it's the form of DRM used by the PSP.

[quote name='ssssss']That is probably true, I am pretty uninformed when it comes to Sony. Thanks for clearing that up.

And why do I need MagicGate?[/QUOTE]

MagicGate is a form of DRM built into Memory Stick. The SD (Secure Digital) standard has something similar, ergo the name.

With Fry's regularly offering 8 GB MSDP units for around $40, it simply comes down to whether you expect to use it for more than saving games. If you want to do any of the other stuff it is a perfectly good value for the money but not as cost effective as SD due to the far larger market for that. 8 GB MicroSD units can be had for under $25 these days.

If I were likely to use several flash memory devices with my PSP, I'd probably go the MicroSD adapter route. But if 8 GB is likely to be enough for for the foreseeable future, the added cost of the adapter negates the savings of a single MicroSD card over a single Memory Stick.

ssssss these guys have all given excellent accurate info, I even learned something new about the MagicGate info. I'd like to say that PSP will be worth it as your music playing device over the ipod over time as the cost of the memory will get as low as being able to outdo the ipods memory for a nice price. The PSP is also more reliable and easier to replace battery.

Oh wow, I'm glad I found this thread. Another friend and I were going to grab some 8GB Sandisks off of Newegg, but it seems the MicroSD->MS Duo Pro is the way to go. $40 for 8GB or ~$45 for 16GB...heh.

How's the read speeds on the Photofast CR-5400 thing? Can it be plug into a MS card reader? Or, if that doesn't work, could you plug the microSD's into SD card adapters and use them that way? It feels much faster to me to plug in the Memory Stick I've got into the USB Carder reader rather than attaching the USB and transferring files via that route.

I just got the Photofast CR-5400 adapter with an 8gb Sandisk micro sdhc card for my PSP (3000). I downloaded the full game of LocoRoco off the PSN and it reads just fine on it, so I guess MagicGate has some purpose other than copyrighting the downloaded games (unless it's just a fancy name with no purpose at all). They say you're supposed to format the sdhc card/adapter while it's in your PSP and add files via USB rather than using a card reader, but I haven't tried doing it the other way to know if it works. Personally, I would recommend this adapter for anyone wanting a large amount of storage space in their PSP, because I currently have 8 gigs with another slot on the adapter to give me even more storage when/if I need it. As of right now with only one 8gb microsdhc card and the adapter, the price is about equal to an 8gb Pro Duo Memory Stick, but the savings will really come into play if I choose to get another 8gb micro sd card (not to mention having less hassle of swapping out multiple cards. Two 8gb cards equaling 16gb plus the adapter would total around $60, whereas a 16gb Pro Duo Memory Stick would cost around $90 (going by Amazon prices).

[quote name='ssssss']Why do you need a lot of gigs for a Memory Stick Duo? I have an iPod, and don't really want to shell out $30+ for a Memory Stick when I can't even listen to music while playing games (if I could, I would be much more considerate) to make the PSP my primary device. Game saves take up ~320kb (at least Patapon does), not worth it to spend over 1gb in my opinion. Convince me otherwise.[/quote]
When I got my PSP I just got a 1 gig stick because I figured I was only interested in game saves and maybe the occasional demo, so that would be more than enough space. Now after seeing the size of some of these demos, I wish I had bought a bigger stick-- Phantasy Star Portable is like 200+ megs. I'm still not interested in using the PSP as a media player, but you don't need to download too many demos or PSone Classics before 1 gig starts getting a little uncomfortable.

Also, I think I've asked this on the board before but I don't recall the answer-- Does anyone know whether a Mark 2 stick offers any noticeable speed gain over a non-Mark 2 stick, on the PSP?

[quote name='surak']Does PixelJunk Monsters work on the PSP? I thought it was PS3 only, with a separate PSP offering coming soon.[/quote]
Remote Play. They're working on a PSP-specific version for sometime this spring.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Remote Play. They're working on a PSP-specific version for sometime this spring.[/quote]

I know some of the PixelJunk games work in Remote Play, but for some reason I don't recall Monsters supporting it. Could just be my defective memory... Anyway, ssssss doesn't have a PS3.

I bought a 16GB Pro Duo Mark 2 at Amazon for 90$

I will store a number of movies, songs, demos, and PSN games on it!

[quote name='ssssss']Why do you need a lot of gigs for a Memory Stick Duo? I have an iPod, and don't really want to shell out $30+ for a Memory Stick when I can't even listen to music while playing games (if I could, I would be much more considerate) to make the PSP my primary device. Game saves take up ~320kb (at least Patapon does), not worth it to spend over 1gb in my opinion. Convince me otherwise.

Do any of you CAGs use the PSP for a primary mp3 player? Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me.[/quote]

To answer your question once and for all. you need a large capacity stick for GAMES and Music, you can MOD your PSP to allow it to run ripped UMD games

I personally do not do this, but for people who can't affored to buy games then that's what they do (or cheap people)

For demos, music, videos, pictures and game saves.

Though if you only plan on using it for game saves, get a small one.

[quote name='RaisinBran']To answer your question once and for all. you need a large capacity stick for GAMES and Music, you can MOD your PSP to allow it to run ripped UMD games

I personally do not do this, but for people who can't affored to buy games then that's what they do (or worthless scummy pirates)[/QUOTE]

You're at CHEAP ASS GAMER bro. We're all cheap here. :lol:

Seriously though, I have a 2GB stick, does me fine. A couple demos (Resistance Retribution FTW) and some comedy MP3's.

My photofast adapter from Dealxtreme just arrived! Seems like it took forever, but its here. Works great, i put 2 8 gig MicroSDHC cards and the PSP asked for it to be formatted immediately as i plugged it in. Once i formatted, it worked great, 14.8 gigs free. Great for mp3s and movies!

Well, I know that I use my 4bg Memory stick for *cough* *cough* free games *cough* *cough*

Yeah I know, I'm part of the problem, and I'm not going to glorify homebrew or anything else, all I know is that's all I use my Memory Stick for. Before I hacked my PSP, I never really used my PSP for Music and Video. Music works well, but I don't like that I cant sub-categorize it into Artists, Songs, Albums etc, and Video was way to hard to convert to make it work on PSP.

I used to have tons of video on my psp thus utilizing a 4gig card. It's like when I bought my 80gig PS3 and told myself that would be plenty of space and then later had to upgrade to a 320gig. As a consoles life grows, more HD space is needed, as I see it anyways.

And I love the comment about he wii on here, so true!!!

one thing I haven't seen any people bring up, custom soundtrack support. Crazy Taxi and the GTA Stories being games I know use them.

And I love the comment about he wii on here, so true!!!

As of yesterday, it's not. Go check the Wii Forums.

[quote name='ssssss']Why do you need a lot of gigs for a Memory Stick Duo? I have an iPod, and don't really want to shell out $30+ for a Memory Stick when I can't even listen to music while playing games (if I could, I would be much more considerate) to make the PSP my primary device. Game saves take up ~320kb (at least Patapon does), not worth it to spend over 1gb in my opinion. Convince me otherwise.

Do any of you CAGs use the PSP for a primary mp3 player? Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me.[/quote]

For one- ipods give you aids and I don't want to pay $250+ for aids. I use other, cheaper and better players to save space on my psp.

30$ for 16GB doesn't sound too bad, now does it?

You CAN listen to music while playing games/doing anything, but I can't tell you about it due to site policies. Also, some free space lets screenshot plugins work properly without freezing up games and I'm a screenshot whore.

Lastly, I keep my mem stick media-free 'cuz its full of stuff I cannot discuss on this board ;)

[quote name='vherub']All the psp games I own, I've ripped to the memory stick: convenience, battery life increased, less wear and tear[/quote]

Smart indeed, but being pure and noble in this hobby earns you nothing, so you might as well succumb to temptation.

And before all you righteous-4$$ monks start your preaching, look at DS: it is THE easiest system to pirate for and it makes the most hardware AND software sales. Nintendo did nothing to stop piracy for the DS.

The only reason sony bothered was because the lazy devs failed to capture the $-giving audience and started blaming piracy as a scapegoat. Look at FF sales and tell me that series got affected because of piracy.
Also PSPs used to be too expensive for what they were worth and I think alot of potential audience got turned off at launch and never returned based solely on their initial impressions.

[quote name='gaxur']one thing I haven't seen any people bring up, custom soundtrack support. Crazy Taxi and the GTA Stories being games I know use them.
[/quote]

If you bothered actually reading through, it has been mentioned my others and myself in that feature's full extent.

[quote name='Skv012a']If you bothered actually reading through, it has been mentioned my others and myself in that feature's full extent.[/QUOTE]
...You haven't posted in this thread prior to the above post.

[quote name='Rocko']...You haven't posted in this thread prior to the above post.[/quote]
I'm assuming Skv012a is someone who banned previously.

Could've sworn I posted in this or another thread just like this one. My bad.

Alot of memory for games, apps, screenshots, music(that I can play in any game/while doing other things in menu). There are plenty of things you'd need memory for if you actually USE your psp right.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219438 might have something todo with my posts disappearing too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Skv012a']If you bothered actually reading through, it has been mentioned my others and myself in that feature's full extent.[/quote]

CTRL+F on both pages for 'soundtrack' or 'custom'.

If your posts are disappearing, you ought to make sure whatever you said was still there before you berate people for not reading it.

Memory is probably more important than any other item for the PSP. I don't thin I would even pick up a PSP, if it wasn't for a memory stick.

[quote name='nicecouch']Memory is probably more important than any other item for the PSP. I don't thin I would even pick up a PSP, if it wasn't for a memory stick.[/quote]
You're just not making any sense buddy. If I give you a DS memory stick, would you pounce on buying a DS?

i think he means having removable memory is important. its one criticism the iphone has compared to a phone wit a microsd slot

[quote name='hibachiZX']i think he means having removable memory is important. its one criticism the iphone has compared to a phone wit a microsd slot[/quote]
Apple consumer losing confidence in Apple:

So when are you releasing an Iphone with a memory card slot?

Apple:
Memory card slot hahahaha.

Consumer:
No, really, I'm wondering when you will finally do that?

Apple:
Our consumers don't want that.

Consumer:
Huh...what...the... When are you releasing an Ipod with one?

Apple:
We offer Ipods of many sizes, so you can upgrade when you want to.

Consumer:
So... you will eventually release Ipods with the ability to increase their storage right?

Apple:
We can not discuss our future plans at this time.

Consumer:
:bomb:

Apple:
(after person after person presses them...)
:bomb::bomb:

Why do you think its a white apple logo? Yes, thats right- anthrax. Plus they promote user technological stupidity and I oppose their products for that alone. Stick only sometimes = fail, no stick is always fail, but only internal = fail as well.

Great PSP example- I would LOVE to keep apps like Ti calculator, filer, torrent, etc on my psp and be able to swap out mem cards for say music or games only, but I'm forced to copy all my essential apps to each stick. Inconvenient.

bread's done
Back