Why does everyone love Woody Allen?

i enjoyed sleeper back when i was a kid. i haven't seen it in years, so i wonder if i'd still feel the same.

I mostly like his old stuff - Bananas and Sleeper are extremely funny. I haven't liked anything he's done since Hannah & Her Sisters.

Match Point is NOTHING like his older work. and i don't know where you got the notion where everybody loves Woody Allen, because i know A LOT of people that don't like his stuff. His movies are an acquired taste. Some people get it, some people don't. no biggie. I personally love his work to death, but that's just me. His movies are not for everybody. My favorite movies of his are Manhattan and Annie Hall.

Most people dont like Woody Allen (as evidenced by the returns on his movies), however he seems to strike a chord with some people. I love most of his work, especially his early comedies (Take the Money and Run, Sleeper, and Midsummers Night Sex Comedy).

I havent seen Match Point as of yet, but will be renting it shortly.

Woody can be very hit and miss, both from film to film and person to person, but when he is good (Manhattan, Hannah & Her Sisters, Crimes & Misdemeanors, Broadway Danny Rose, Sweet and Lowdown) he is VERY good. Unfortunately, he has as many mediocre films as he does good ones. I have Match Point waiting for me at home from Netflix right this very minute, so I'll let you know my thoughts on that one soon.

Full disclosure: Manhattan is in my top 5 all-time favorite films.

I like Woody Allen but I am the first to admit that I have to be in the mood to watch his films. I will acknowledge that he is very talented.

2 points I like to put out there:

-I thought 'Stardust Memories' was a complete ripoff of Fellini's 8 and a half. The Fellini movie was far superior in my opinion. I know he labeled that film as a homage but I find that questionable.

-His stand up is actually really funny. I heard one of his stand-up comedy tapes when I was in college and I laughed my ass off.

I don't think Woody Allen is funny, and I think a majority of his "fans" are dilettantes.

Kind of like how Monty Python is mildly funny, but extremely overhyped.

bread's done
Back